Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-04-2006   #1
Texican
Rookie

Default Eric Winston is a Beast!!!

I saw eric winston Saturday @ All Access

All I can say is he is a beast!!

WOW

Just put him on the right side and he can play RG and RT

at the same time

I just hope he gets a chance to play seemed like a real nice guy but i wouldnt want to be across from him on the line

crazy hair too
Old 06-04-2006   #2
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I really hoped that he would turn out to be our fixture at LT. But it seems that they will play him on the right side. I think that if his knee gets back to 100% the coaches will move him back over to the left side where he could dominate.
Old 06-04-2006   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Mike Sherman, Associate Head Coach & Beast Master.
Old 06-04-2006   #4
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

yah i saw some clips of spencer on tv at the draft, and he looked really good, he was strong, so that he can hold the guys, but he also is very athletic for his size, he will make the texans o-line great.

Last edited by hot pickle; 06-05-2006 at 12:20 AM.
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006   #5
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default It's nice he is on our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texican
I saw eric winston Saturday @ All Access

All I can say is he is a beast!!
You are not kidding. I saw him walking through the locker room and he looked like an extra from Lord of the Rings. But in a good way.

All the pictures of him on the internet do not really demonstrate what he looks like. The slick down hair picture on his draft profiles is as about as mortal as he can look. Oh my.
Old 06-05-2006   #6
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I hope Winston and Spencer can win starting spots at some point in the early part of the season, you can call be a bad fan, but Pitts and Weary have never impressed me. they were given ample time to develop, but they just look lost alot of the time. I think pitts could be a good 2nd string guard, but I dont think he's tackle material, and definately not left tackle. anyone ?
Old 06-05-2006   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Although Winston can indeed be considered a "beast,"
then so should Spencer be considered "brother beast." As mentioned before by Kub, both will be competing with Wand for LT. However, Spencer (raw but very promising) was specifically drafted with the eventual development to LT in mind, and Winston his book end at RT.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3836526.html
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-05-2006   #8
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Mike Sherman, Associate Head Coach & Beast Master.
I was wondering why Sherman had those two ferrets on his shoulder. Now I know.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer
I hope Winston and Spencer can win starting spots at some point in the early part of the season, you can call be a bad fan, but Pitts and Weary have never impressed me. they were given ample time to develop, but they just look lost alot of the time. I think pitts could be a good 2nd string guard, but I dont think he's tackle material, and definately not left tackle. anyone ?
Two rookie bookend tackles. I think we would be running the risk of hindering player development by putting them in before they are ready. However, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence - this goes double for football rookies. Rookies are frequently thought of as better than what a team already has. When they aren't, people wonder what happened. Generally, NFL competition is what happened.

By the way, our current first team tackles are Wand and Wiegert; Pitts and Weary are playing guard, with only Pitts being first team.
Old 06-05-2006   #10
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Two rookie bookend tackles. I think we would be running the risk of hindering player development by putting them in before they are ready.
As far as "ready to play," I've heard that Spenser is closer to NFL-ready than Winston, which surprised me. I always thought Spenser was the one who would need more work, but it sounds like Eric is the "diamond in the rough" and will need more time. I don't expect either to start this year, except maybe Special Teams.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #11
jmerog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]]
Winston and Spencer are both steals at the 3rd round.
Definatly, I agree 100%. Wasn't Winston thought to be a 1st rounder on some boards before the draft? Spencer looks like a big ol' meanie, too.

We really added to the lines this year in a nice way. Win the battle in the trenches.
Old 06-05-2006   #12
Tex Trenches
Veteran

Wink

You got that right jmerog.
Old 06-05-2006   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
I really hoped that he would turn out to be our fixture at LT. But it seems that they will play him on the right side. I think that if his knee gets back to 100% the coaches will move him back over to the left side where he could dominate.
It's not uncommon to start your future LT @ Right Tackle........ it's also not uncommon to put an aging LT @ RT..... but it's good training for Winston to get good time at RT, as opposed to just getting Garbage time @ LT.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer
I'd really like to see Wand given a fair shot at LT..... I think he is more than just serviceable...... Spencer for the future, if Wand proves to be just "serviceable"
Old 06-05-2006   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
As far as "ready to play," I've heard that Spenser is closer to NFL-ready than Winston, which surprised me. I always thought Spenser was the one who would need more work
Spencer was a DL first with the U of Pittsburgh and didn't move over to the
O side of the line until his jurnior year (2004), and then as a guard. So last
year is the only time he's had as a tackle, and only his second year as an OLineman.
Winston on the other hand was the 'canes LT in 2003 and part of 2004 before he blew out his knee, then again last year.
And this is off the subject, but the new LT at Miami this fall is expected to be Reggie Youngblood, 2005 grad of BT Washington HS here in Houston.
This guy is not expected to red-shirt, he's that good so if he lives up to expecs he should be in the 2008 NFL Draft.
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=423&p=8&c=1&nid=1169188
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #15
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerog
Definatly, I agree 100%. Wasn't Winston thought to be a 1st rounder on some boards before the draft? Spencer looks like a big ol' meanie, too.

We really added to the lines this year in a nice way. Win the battle in the trenches.
Outside of these boards, I never saw Winston ranked higher than the second round. However, I attribute his status as a potential first-rounder to the claim that this was a deep draft and that many second-rounders this year were of equivalent ability to first-rounders of previous years. TIFWIW.
Old 06-05-2006   #16
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Saw Winston up close Saturday ..... between his size and his hair I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley .... looked like a humongous Hell's Angel ....
Old 06-05-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
Outside of these boards, I never saw Winston ranked higher than the second round. However, I attribute his status as a potential first-rounder to the claim that this was a deep draft and that many second-rounders this year were of equivalent ability to first-rounders of previous years. TIFWIW.
This site Has him ranked as the third best OT....

and being deep in the draft would mean more first rounders falling into the second/third.... If this were a deep draft, and he was only a fair prospect, he would've been projected as a good second day pickup.
Old 06-05-2006   #18
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Spencer was a DL first with the U of Pittsburgh and didn't move over to the
O side of the line until his jurnior year (2004), and then as a guard. So last
year is the only time he's had as a tackle, and only his second year as an OLineman.
Winston on the other hand was the 'canes LT in 2003 and part of 2004 before he blew out his knee, then again last year.
And this is off the subject, but the new LT at Miami this fall is expected to be Reggie Youngblood, 2005 grad of BT Washington HS here in Houston.
This guy is not expected to red-shirt, he's that good so if he lives up to expecs he should be in the 2008 NFL Draft.
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=423&p=8&c=1&nid=1169188
Exactly. I was shocked to hear that Spenser is more ready than Winston. I am not sure who has a better shot. Like I said, from what I've heard, Spenser is more ready (mentally prepared) than WInston to play ball. Whether Spenser plays next year depends on Wand's performance. Wand's progression has been steadily improving from what I've heard. On the other hand, this could be Weigert's last year because of age. So which rookie will see the field sooner is still up in the air.
Old 06-05-2006   #19
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52757 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
I saw plenty of mock drafts and projections that showed Winston in the 1st round, some as high as the low 20's. I'm not sure where you were looking, but it wasn't very hard, as it wasn't hard to find those projections.
Old 06-05-2006   #20
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky
I saw plenty of mock drafts and projections that showed Winston in the 1st round, some as high as the low 20's. I'm not sure where you were looking, but it wasn't very hard, as it wasn't hard to find those projections.
Yes, and that was post-injury. Pre-injury he was ranked ahead of D'brick by everyone.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read