Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-04-2006   #1
baba ganoush
Veteran

Default Who will be our starting linebackers?

DeMeco Ryans is he a strong or weakside linebacker?
Morlon Greenwood OLB
Shantee Orr in the middle, fighting with a job over Sam Cowart
Rule #7 - play like a champion!!!
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006   #2
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba ganoush
DeMeco Ryans is he a strong or weakside linebacker?
Morlon Greenwood OLB
Shantee Orr in the middle, fighting with a job over Sam Cowart
Orr in the middle? have anything to back this up tho? I'm curious.
Old 06-04-2006   #3
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

From what Ive heard, Ryans will play either OLB position, but I have read that he is smart enough to play all LB positions, and at some point it college he played each. I would really like to see him at MLB with Greenwood at the weakside OLB and Wong fighting it out with Orr for the strongside.
Old 06-04-2006   #4
jparrish
Rookie

Cowart was part of the Jets linebacking corps when they were very highly ranked a couple years ago. I think he'll put up a fight for our MLB spot.
jparrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #5
HeartofHouston
Veteran

Weakside:
Greenwood

Middle:
Cowart

Strongside:
Ryans
Old 06-05-2006   #6
Trapped
Veteran

I would like to see

StrongSide OLB - Shante Orr
MLB - Demeco Ryans
Weakside OLB - Morlon Greenwood
Most users ever online was 1,493, 04-28-2006 at 09:04 PM
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #7
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I have no doubt they picked up cowart to be the LB leader and help along Ryans till he can take the middle as a starter. Rainer prolly insurance backup. outside I'm guessing Orr and Greenwood, with Babin or Peek filling in on occasion. I wouldnt be surprised to see us pick up another Linebacker when they are able to make a decision on Wong. we could use a decent cover LB on the outside for RB's and TE's
Old 06-05-2006   #8
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped
I would like to see

StrongSide OLB - Shante Orr
MLB - Demeco Ryans
Weakside OLB - Morlon Greenwood
You and Buff are right on the money. No way we get rid and bench Orr who was one of our only LBs to actually play hard all the time, and no way we keep Ryans on the bench. He's got the smarts, and can make plays.
Old 06-05-2006   #9
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]]
I think is is the plan also. I think we went into the draft weak at MLB and we got Ryans to start at that position.

Anybody got an update on Terry Peirce? I heard he can be starting material that got stuck behind Trevor Pryce in Denver...... he was after all Kube's first move as a Texans HC....

He MUST like the dude....
Do you mean Al Wilson? Trevor Pryce was their massive DE . . .
Old 06-05-2006   #10
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Wolb = Greenwood/orr
Mlb = Cowart/dymeco
Solb= Dymeco/orr
Old 06-05-2006   #11
amazingandre
All Pro

MLB i think should be greenwood he has enough speed and vision lpus a little more experience in nfl than ryans

strong side bakcer id like to see Ryans he will adapt quiker to eventually become a mlb and will start to gain success i think.

weakside should be wong no doubt. i really like the guy dont know why though lol o well i hope he puts manning on his back at least twice each GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
amazingandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #12
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

DeMeco Ryans is best suited for a WLB, then MLB, then SLB

I think the starters will likely be like this at the beginning of the year:
SLB - Shantee Orr
MLB - Sam Cowart
WLB - Morlon Greenwood

Ryans will get a significant amount of playing time, and I think he will probably be in the majority of the time on nickel formations, probably with Cowart or maybe Greenwood.

Wali Rainer and/or Terry Pierce will also make the team and play a decent amount, Wong will be on PUP to start the year, and Charlie Anderson or Kenneth Pettway will make the final roster.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #13
JAXwithanX
Veteran

Cowart will be starting at least the first few games at MLB. Demeco will be at the weakside, with Orr and Greenwood switching up the strong side. Cowart is still a good MLB and far more proven than any of our LB's, no matter how much we liked the way Orr played.
JAXwithanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #14
Scottyboy
Veteran

Default UP for Grabs!

All three slots are UP for grabs! Wong still hasnt been released, and he could be anywhere. I have Cowart Starting right now Mike, but left and right theres no telling!!
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard reports earlier today that Wong is way ahead of his recovery schedule, feeling great and should be in the mix come regular season. He will be the first X factor (injury angle) which has always seemed to rear its ugly head for the Texans. The difference being is that this year as a group, regardless of who plays where? the Texans have a much more talented & experienced group of quality NFL capable linebackers.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #16
AFD1717
Veteran

Is anyone else concerned about how Shante Orr will perform in a 4-3? I don't know what system he played in in college, but it is clear that his strength is rushing the passer. Is he a long term option for us? If not, we may be able to get something for a 24 year old guy with 7 sacks last year.
Old 06-06-2006   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I went to that Texans deal on Saturday at Reliant. Coach Kubes spoke at the very end and pretty much said that Cowart will be starting in the middle, not sure about the outside guys. Mario got a standing ovation when introduced and seems like an extremely humble guy.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #18
CMoak1982
Rookie

Orr was a defensive end at michigan, hence the pass rush ability, but I think with the tenacity he shows he could become a good weakside linebacker where he really rushes the passer, the only problem with that is Greenwood, and Ryans, play there as well. Ryans can play any of them, Greenwood took Seau's place at strongside when he was hurt so there is flexibility there but I would still say without picking up some coverage ability Orr is on the 2nd team.
CMoak1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #19
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1965 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I can definately see us taking linebackers on the first day in the next few drafts
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #20
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimeTexanFan
I can definately see us taking linebackers on the first day in the next few drafts
I want a CB first day of next years draft, even if P-buc performs to the raised expectations this year, at least we'll have a possible fresh nickel back, or someone P-buc will have serious competition with.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read