Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-04-2006   #1
phil2366
Rookie

Default Demeco Ryans article:

Here is an article about DeMeco winning another award and some of the thoughts on the draft.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...606030349/1002

The hard-hitting, modest-speaking University of Alabama linebacker was way up there on draft guru Mel Kiper's big board one day, then his draft stock was dropping the next day.
It got kind of ludicrous for Ryans, who was named first-team All-America, the SEC's Defensive Player of the Year -- and now Alabama's Amateur Athlete of the Year, according to the Alabama Sports Writers Association.

"I saw one deal that said my stock was dropping because I switched agents," Ryans said. "I was like, really, when did I do that? It's crazy how they try to predict so much, with mock draft this and that."
When it came to reality, Ryans was taken by the Houston Texans:bananasplit: with the first pick of the second round and said, "It was a great feeling being the 33rd player taken in the draft."

Last edited by phil2366; 06-04-2006 at 07:32 PM.
phil2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006   #2
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Good read, thanks.

25 tackles in one game.. auch... I feel bad for the people going up against him
Old 06-04-2006   #3
wicked_wayz
all blacks

25 tackles in one game.. auch... I feel bad for the people going up against him [/quote]

dammmmmn 25 tackles i've also heard that hes got great leadership skills and thats one element this team needs. he's this team future leader
Old 06-04-2006   #4
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we're gonna love this kid! Looks like a steal at 33.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006   #5
AFD1717
Veteran

I was really pissed when I saw we took this guy. I REALLY wanted Eric Winston. Now, I like him more every time I read about him. Getting Winston anyway makes it even sweeter. I agree that he will team with Dunta to be the heart and soul of our defense in a couple of years. I also think he is probably our MLB when he puts on some more weight.
Old 06-04-2006   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD1717
I also think he is probably our MLB when he puts on some more weight.
He doesn't need to put on any weight:

Demeco Ryans 6' 1" 235 lbs

Odell Thurman 6' 0" 230 lbs
Lofa Tatupa 5' 11" 238 lbs (226 lbs comine out of college) *
Shelton Quarles 6' 1" 225 lbs
Jonathan Vilma 6' 1" 230 lbs *
Zach Thomas 5' 11" 228 lbs *
Mike Peterson 6' 1" 235 lbs
Nick Barnett 6' 2" 233 lbs
Al Wilson 6' 0" 240 lbs *

* --pro-bowlers last year
Old 06-04-2006   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not so much concerned as puzzled that we haven't heard more about
him locally since we drafted him ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-04-2006   #8
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
He doesn't need to put on any weight:

Demeco Ryans 6' 1" 235 lbs

Odell Thurman 6' 0" 230 lbs
Lofa Tatupa 5' 11" 238 lbs *
Shelton Quarles 6' 1" 225 lbs
Jonathan Vilma 6' 1" 230 lbs *
Zach Thomas 5' 11" 228 lbs *
Mike Peterson 6' 1" 235 lbs
Nick Barnett 6' 2" 233 lbs
Al Wilson 6' 0" 240 lbs *

* --pro-bowlers last year
I was going by his weight at the senior bowl (229). If he really is 235 lbs, I'll feel better about it but I'd rather see him at 240 if he can do it without losing a step.
Old 06-04-2006   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD1717
I was going by his weight at the senior bowl (229). If he really is 235 lbs, I'll feel better about it but I'd rather see him at 240 if he can do it without losing a step.
Ryans weighed in at 236 at the combine, where he ran 4.62 & 4.65 40's.
Old 06-04-2006   #10
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

With Ryans I think that we have 3 young impact players at each level of our defense. Mario Williams will be a fixture in our D-line, Ryans with the backers along with D-Rob in our secondary.
Old 06-04-2006   #11
phil2366
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I'm not so much concerned as puzzled that we haven't heard more about
him locally since we drafted him ?
I'm working very hard at keeping him in the spotlight. I know he can handle it. I think the coaches might have a few comments by the 9th or so. When we put on the pads and start going close to full speed I think we will start hearing more about him. At Alabama he has the reputation of Derrick Thomas, and Shawn Alexander. The lead with their actions on the field and off with respect and class. This guy will be respected as much as a Singletary one day, mark my words.
Old 06-04-2006   #12
Texans>Colts
Veteran

nice article
Old 06-04-2006   #13
BamaTexan
Rookie

Default Meco

Ryans was the leader and captain on one of the top defenses in the country the last 2 years. Numerous football and academic awards. Local Birmingham product who will do a lot in the Houston community. Texans are getting a preat player and person. He is always around the ball and he will be a great LB for many years.
BamaTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006   #14
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

I dont know if its just the angle of that picture or what....but that guy got some freaking AIR!!! Talk about mad ups!!!
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #15
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

This was probably my favorite person we drafted this year and like others said - I predict him to be a great LB and future leader for our team. A great guy at Bama and looks to be our MLB for the future. I think he will light it up when the guys put on pads in TC and will be a coaches fav soon. A possible future repeat pro-bowler if he plays forward in the nfl like he did at Bama. Between DeMec, Mario and Dunta if all 3 get going we could have 3 regular shut down guys on the D to help bring some fear and respect on that side of the ball again for the Texans and would be a great start toward building this into a real competitive ball club.
Old 06-05-2006   #16
done88
Veteran

I looked for him at the all access but I could not find him. He was the one autograph I wanted. I think he is going to be a fan favorite after this year and it will be hard to get the autograph next year.
Old 06-05-2006   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 340250 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I got lucky at All Access. He came to the table while I was in line.

I'm stoked about getting Ryans. I was surprised he was still available at 33, and we got a steal. This guy is going to impact, and our D is going to blow us away. (I know this it true because Kailee Wong told me so!)
Old 06-05-2006   #18
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel

I'm stoked about getting Ryans. I was surprised he was still available at 33, and we got a steal. This guy is going to impact, and our D is going to blow us away. (I know this it true because Kailee Wong told me so!)
Certainly a better source than Justice.....
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #19
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel

... and that's why i wish i was a season ticket holder.
Old 06-05-2006   #20
dm77713
Rookie

I was looking over the prospect profiles on SI.com and they actually had Ryans listed as better than Bobby Carpenter. It also said that he can play multiple positions and will most likely make first team his rookie year. Great pick at 33.
dm77713 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read