Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-03-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default footballguys: what will moulds bring to the Texans?

Quote:
Positives

Moulds becomes the veteran presence desperately required on the Houston offense. With Andre Johnson on the other side, Moulds stands to see less coverage than he ever had in his 10 years at Buffalo. Moulds may not have the dynamism of a few years ago, but he is still a solid possession receiver and an excellent red zone target. As a receiver he is physical, aggressive and imposing for any secondary. He knows how to attack the ball in the air and pick up extra yardage. For those who are superstitious Moulds has always performed better in even numbered years. Moulds has been reasonably durable in his 10 years in the league, and his work ethic impresses new head coach Gary Kubiak.

Negatives

What, at 33 years of age, does Eric Moulds have in the way of upside? Can he handle becoming a #2 receiver? History is littered with veteran WR free agents who have failed miserably to adapt to new surroundings. His drop in yards per catch is alarming over the last seven years - from 15.3 in 1999 he has consistently dropped in yards per catch every year to a paltry 10.1 in 2005. Not really a threat over the middle despite his imposing size, he additionally has never been a prolific touchdown accumulator either.

Outlook

Eric Moulds will be relieved to have stability at the QB position after his last couple of years in Buffalo. Those expecting Moulds to become a starting fantasy receiver are however going to be disappointed. There is not likely to be enough balls for both Johnson and Moulds to dominate and Johnson is likely to be Carrís first read. Moulds still has plenty to offer at the right value and can be used as a bye week replacement or a starter in larger leagues. Itís doubtful that someone pounces on Moulds as has happened in days gone by, so the value hunters will be looking at this guy closely. He still has plenty to offer and will be a key component in getting Houston from the NFLís cellar.
http://www.footballguys.com/MoulEr00-1.php
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://eric-moulds-news.newslib.com/

hmm a website with just eric news
Old 06-03-2006   #3
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
http://eric-moulds-news.newslib.com/

hmm a website with just eric news
Wow! A site just for Eric Moulds news! Why does this not surprise me?
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Should it surprise you?
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006   #5
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Should it surprise you?
No, it doesn't surprise me at all.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

give ya a news flash..
there is www.davidcarr.com under construction..

I believe DD has a website too..
Old 06-03-2006   #7
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Going back to the post topic

Quote:
Eric Moulds will be relieved to have stability at the QB position after his last couple of years in Buffalo. Those expecting Moulds to become a starting fantasy receiver are however going to be disappointed. There is not likely to be enough balls for both Johnson and Moulds to dominate and Johnson is likely to be Carrís first read. Moulds still has plenty to offer at the right value and can be used as a bye week replacement or a starter in larger leagues. Itís doubtful that someone pounces on Moulds as has happened in days gone by, so the value hunters will be looking at this guy closely. He still has plenty to offer and will be a key component in getting Houston from the NFLís cellar.
Hmmm, I sat through a coaching session deal yesterday--my report will be on the blog when the Chronicle people post it.

Anyhow, as for reads, as I understand it--under the Denver system, many of the routes require the QB to look for the deep progression first then middle then short, unless the defense requires a dump because of a blitz. Though they are looking to get the ball to Andre, they are not going to be trying to force him to get it. That by making the defense defend all parts of the field--by using the TEs, RB (both running and catching), you are more likely to get the ball to Moulds and Johnson in places where they are likely to have space to do something after the catch.

A lot of who will get the ball is going to be based on how the defense is cheating one way or another--I watched Bronco films showing how a defender was being too aggressive one way or another, and so they called plays specifically to exploit tendencies the coaches saw in the booth.

Personally, I have little concern what his fantasy stats are because that doesn't contribute to winning. What I do like is how he is hanging with the other receivers and helping them out with stuff and oh, btw, he is freaking built.
Old 06-03-2006   #8
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
No, it doesn't surprise me at all.
What I mean is why should it surprise you? What would be surprising about a website with moulds news? I just dont quite get where you are coming from.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006   #9
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
Hmmm, I sat through a coaching session deal yesterday--my report will be on the blog when the Chronicle people post it.

Anyhow, as for reads, as I understand it--under the Denver system, many of the routes require the QB to look for the deep progression first then middle then short, unless the defense requires a dump because of a blitz. Though they are looking to get the ball to Andre, they are not going to be trying to force him to get it. That by making the defense defend all parts of the field--by using the TEs, RB (both running and catching), you are more likely to get the ball to Moulds and Johnson in places where they are likely to have space to do something after the catch.

A lot of who will get the ball is going to be based on how the defense is cheating one way or another--I watched Bronco films showing how a defender was being too aggressive one way or another, and so they called plays specifically to exploit tendencies the coaches saw in the booth.

Personally, I have little concern what his fantasy stats are because that doesn't contribute to winning. What I do like is how he is hanging with the other receivers and helping them out with stuff and oh, btw, he is freaking built.
Yea I got the chance to meet him yesterday, he was walking out of the BP at Minute Maide, he looks like a MLB, if I did not see his face I would have guest LB.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006   #10
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

Quote:
many of the routes require the QB to look for the deep progression first then middle then short, unless the defense requires a dump because of a blitz.
aren't all pass plays built like this?
Old 06-03-2006   #11
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Often times the number one receiver, such as AJ or TO or such, is the first read, then they move on depending on the play.
Old 06-03-2006   #12
jparrish
Rookie

Yeah, the star receiver is usually the first read, but it also depends on the situation.
jparrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006   #13
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

Seems strange, not every play is going to be ran to the #1's side, so you're saying that if AJ is lined up left, and the play is a roll right, that DC's first read would be backside, and not the deepest player on the rollout side? That's how every offense I ever QB'ed worked.
Old 06-03-2006   #14
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
What I mean is why should it surprise you? What would be surprising about a website with moulds news? I just dont quite get where you are coming from.
Because everything Kubiak does is automatically negative and all his players have no character. Dom on the other hand looked for class and that means all his players have class too.

In other words, another post by Bobo and the world keeps on turning.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006   #15
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

I think he'll bring less double teams and cheating over to Dre's side leaving both our #1 and #2 receivers a little more open for plenty of opportunities for big plays downfield.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006   #16
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
Because everything Kubiak does is automatically negative and all his players have no character. Dom on the other hand looked for class and that means all his players have class too.

In other words, another post by Bobo and the world keeps on turning.

Bah.. I wasted a perfectly good 1000th post on the dude.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read