Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-02-2006   #1
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle
Default Projected Texans Final Roster

Even though it is a little silly to be predicting this so early, I thought it would be interesting to see everyone's opinion on who will be making our final roster, so feel free to comment on mine or submit one of your own. Here's my best guess as of right now (players in parentheses denote practice squad):

Offense (26/30)
QB (2/3)
David Carr
Sage Rosenfels
(Quinton Porter)

RB (4)
Domanick Davis
Vernand Morency
Antowain Smith
Wali Lundy

FB (1/2)
Jameel Cook
(Quadtrine Hill)

WR (6/7)
Andre Johnson
Eric Moulds
Kevin Walter
Derick Armstrong
Jerome Mathis
Derrick Lewis
(David Anderson/Richie Ross/Donovan Morgan)

TE (4)
Mark Bruener
Jeb Putzier
Owen Daniels
Bennie Joppru

OL (9/10)
Eric Winston
Seth Wand
Charles Spencer
Zach Wiegert
Chester Pitts
Steve McKinney
Fred Weary
Mike Flanagan
Drew Hodgdon
(Kelvin Chaisson)

Defense (24/28)
DL (8/9)
Mario Williams
Antwan Peek
Jason Babin
N.D. Kalu
Anthony Weaver
Robaire Smith
Seth Payne
Travis Johnson
(Alfred Malone)

LB (7/8)
Shantee Orr
DeMeco Ryans
Morlon Greenwood
Sam Cowart
Wali Rainer
Kailee Wong
Terry Pierce
(Charlie Anderson)

CB (5/6)
Dunta Robinson
Demarcus Faggins
Philip Buchanon
Lewis Sanders
Chris McKenzie
(John Walker)

S (4/5)
Glenn Earl
C.C. Brown
Jason Simmons
Michael Stone
(Jammal Lord)

ST (3)
Kris Brown (K)
Filip Filipovic (P)
Bryan Pittman (LS)

53 Total Players (+8 practice squad)
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #2
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice job!!! I can't wait till season start! It will be interesting to see if you come close to the real final cut from Kubes & Co.
Old 06-03-2006   #3
hellojohnnyboi
Rookie

I would say that Charlie Anderson has a much better chance of making the squad than Terry Pierce does.
hellojohnnyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006   #4
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellojohnnyboi
I would say that Charlie Anderson has a much better chance of making the squad than Terry Pierce does.
I think they are both right there together, a lot of it depends on which position they feel they need more of as Anderson is more of a SLB and Pierce is a MLB.
Old 06-03-2006   #5
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Solid!!!!

Don't get me wrong solid but....

First of all Kubes will have 3 qbs on the roster, even though he is quoted as saying it is an option, way too risky

Mathis and Wong proably will be on the PUP list but maybe not

When Stanely get replaced as our punter?

faling asleep will write more later
Old 06-03-2006   #6
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5776
Don't get me wrong solid but....

First of all Kubes will have 3 qbs on the roster, even though he is quoted as saying it is an option, way too risky

Mathis and Wong proably will be on the PUP list but maybe not

When Stanely get replaced as our punter?

faling asleep will write more later
true, Wong and Mathis will start the season on the PUP so that opens up another two roster spots, which I'll guess will be filled by Alfred Malone and either Charlie Anderson or Quinton Porter.
Old 06-03-2006   #7
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

My first thoughts:

There will be 3 QB's
Chad Stanley will be the Punter. I'd agree with the linemen on both sides of the ball - everyone seems to think Wades gone.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-03-2006   #8
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancunian
My first thoughts:

There will be 3 QB's
Chad Stanley will be the Punter. I'd agree with the linemen on both sides of the ball - everyone seems to think Wades gone.

Filipovic has a substantially stronger leg than Stanley and I wouldn't be surprised to see them swap punters, and I do think Wade will be cut because I really don't see him fitting the blocking scheme and he costs a ton of money to sit the bench. It will cost us $4.8 million against the cap next year but save us $3.5 million this year, and while we're not in desperate need to open cap room, that saves us from having to pay out his $3.5 million base salary this year, so it saves us from having to pay out that real cash plus his future base salaries.

As for the QBs, I'm not sure they bother to start the season with 3 QBs on the active roster since the 3rd guy will be a rookie and isn't going to play barring injuries, and I'm pretty sure Quinton Porter will be safe on our practice squad and no other team will claim him off of there.They might bump him up later in the year as injuries start taking their toll on our active roster, but to start the year I'm not sure I see the need of filling that roster spot. If I remember correctly the Broncos only had two QBs on their active roster to start last year, but I could be wrong on that.
Old 06-03-2006   #9
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Filipovic has a substantially stronger leg than Stanley and I wouldn't be surprised to see them swap punters, and I do think Wade will be cut because I really don't see him fitting the blocking scheme and he costs a ton of money to sit the bench. It will cost us $4.8 million against the cap next year but save us $3.5 million this year, and while we're not in desperate need to open cap room, that saves us from having to pay out his $3.5 million base salary this year, so it saves us from having to pay out that real cash plus his future base salaries.

As for the QBs, I'm not sure they bother to start the season with 3 QBs on the active roster since the 3rd guy will be a rookie and isn't going to play barring injuries, and I'm pretty sure Quinton Porter will be safe on our practice squad and no other team will claim him off of there.They might bump him up later in the year as injuries start taking their toll on our active roster, but to start the year I'm not sure I see the need of filling that roster spot. If I remember correctly the Broncos only had two QBs on their active roster to start last year, but I could be wrong on that.
Good point about swapping Punters, whats his accuracy like? We dont want him booming them all the way through the endzone and the opposition always getting a touchback. If he can them inside the 10 then great.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006   #10
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Man. i'm gonna miiss chadley.
Old 06-03-2006   #11
AFD1717
Veteran

I heard John McClain say that he doesn't think Mathis is a lock to make the team. Obviously he'll start out on the PUP list, but we may never see him in Texans' gear again. McClain's point was that Mathis was never dedicated to getting better as a football player and probably won't be very dedicated to his rehab. Being an all-pro rookie seems to have gone to his head.

Not my thoughts, just passing them along.
Old 06-03-2006   #12
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I think Anderson makes it over Lewis...otherwise very accurate. After a few guys get cut though some practice squad players on there will be promoted, but that's just pointing out the obvious. Good job
Old 06-03-2006   #13
whiskeyrbl

Pretty good roster but where is Salaam?
Old 06-03-2006   #14
DominickDavisFan76
Veteran

Richie Ross will beat out David Anderson and Donovan Morgan, besides that great job.

wait

I thought Todd Wade was on the team?
DominickDavisFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006   #15
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl
Pretty good roster but where is Salaam?
The only way he makes the team is if a miracle happens. He's like a Victor Riley except a little worse.

DD76, I'm guessing he's assuming that Wade gets cut.
Old 06-03-2006   #16
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
The only way he makes the team is if a miracle happens. He's like a Victor Riley except a little worse.

DD76, I'm guessing he's assuming that Wade gets cut.
Correct, I really don't see him making the team as I don't think he fits our system at all and we just spent two 3rd round picks on OTs, one of which I think will definitely be starting by mid-season (Eric Winston). We don't really need to free up more cap room this year but we already paid Wade's bonus up front and cutting him saves us from paying his $3.5 million salary in real dollars. I think they are waiting until he is off the injured list, maybe even give him a chance during camp, but I don't see him being here when September rolls around. Maybe they could even trade him for a 6th or 7th round pick as he used to be considered a decent RT.
Old 06-03-2006   #17
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Even though it is a little silly to be predicting this so early, I thought it would be interesting to see everyone's opinion on who will be making our final roster, so feel free to comment on mine or submit one of your own. Here's my best guess as of right now (players in parentheses denote practice squad):

Offense (26/30)
QB (2/3)
David Carr
Sage Rosenfels
(Quinton Porter)

RB (4)
Domanick Davis
Vernand Morency
Antowain Smith
Wali Lundy

FB (1/2)
Jameel Cook
(Quadtrine Hill)

WR (6/7)
Andre Johnson
Eric Moulds
Kevin Walter
Derick Armstrong
Jerome Mathis
Derrick Lewis
(David Anderson/Richie Ross/Donovan Morgan)

TE (4)
Mark Bruener
Jeb Putzier
Owen Daniels
Bennie Joppru

OL (9/10)
Eric Winston
Seth Wand
Charles Spencer
Zach Wiegert
Chester Pitts
Steve McKinney
Fred Weary
Mike Flanagan
Drew Hodgdon
(Kelvin Chaisson)

Defense (24/28)
DL (8/9)
Mario Williams
Antwan Peek
Jason Babin
N.D. Kalu
Anthony Weaver
Robaire Smith
Seth Payne
Travis Johnson
(Alfred Malone)

LB (7/8)
Shantee Orr
DeMeco Ryans
Morlon Greenwood
Sam Cowart
Wali Rainer
Kailee Wong
Terry Pierce
(Charlie Anderson)

CB (5/6)
Dunta Robinson
Demarcus Faggins
Philip Buchanon
Lewis Sanders
Chris McKenzie
(John Walker)

S (4/5)
Glenn Earl
C.C. Brown
Jason Simmons
Michael Stone
(Jammal Lord)

ST (3)
Kris Brown (K)
Filip Filipovic (P)
Bryan Pittman (LS)

53 Total Players (+8 practice squad)

wheres ephram salaam, the LT? he was an effective lineman in a zone scheme, and didnt play well in JAX (no zoney there). i think he would be a good reserve or even a starter.
Old 06-03-2006   #18
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFanInCC
wheres ephram salaam, the LT? he was an effective lineman in a zone scheme, and didnt play well in JAX (no zoney there). i think he would be a good reserve or even a starter.
Not going to be a starter, has seen some time on the 2nd team thusfar in practices but moreso on the 3rd team and I expect they'd keep Spencer and especially Winston over him as OTs. Currently Wand and Wiegert are our starters and Winston and Spencer are our future starters, so I don't see them keeping Salaam and having 5 OTs on the roster.
Old 06-03-2006   #19
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default veteran OL on bench

Either Salaam, Wade, or Loverne makes the team as a veteran reserve Ol. I don't like 4 young and green OL on the bench. My guess is Salaam and Specner as reserve OT and then Winston, Holden, and Weary as reserve guards

Can Lord be on the Practic squad for a 3rd year? LB Anerson might not be eligable as well. If so I say Rhodes should be on ps. If a rb goes down plug him in, one more of your wrs also. With 4 undrafted DEs on the roster, one of those might also be ps material. The OL Chaison is borderline.

Hape is on the roster if only one FB, Bruener goes. Even though he is lght Beanie has the grit to be the blocking TE with Hape and then Putz and Daniels would be the recieving TEs.

I say 5 WRs and 6 LBs and not 6 and 7, sorry Peircs and Armstrong don't offer verstatilty. 3 QBs and 10 OLs instead of 2 and 9.

Of course things change if Wong or Mathis is on pup list.
Old 06-03-2006   #20
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5776
Either Salaam, Wade, or Loverne makes the team as a veteran reserve Ol. I don't like 4 young and green OL on the bench. My guess is Salaam and Specner as reserve OT and then Winston, Holden, and Weary as reserve guards

Can Lord be on the Practic squad for a 3rd year? LB Anerson might not be eligable as well. If so I say Rhodes should be on ps. If a rb goes down plug him in, one more of your wrs also. With 4 undrafted DEs on the roster, one of those might also be ps material. The OL Chaison is borderline.

Hape is on the roster if only one FB, Bruener goes. Even though he is lght Beanie has the grit to be the blocking TE with Hape and then Putz and Daniels would be the recieving TEs.

I say 5 WRs and 6 LBs and not 6 and 7, sorry Peircs and Armstrong don't offer verstatilty. 3 QBs and 10 OLs instead of 2 and 9.

Of course things change if Wong or Mathis is on pup list.
I don't see Loverne making it, I don't see Wade fitting the system. Salaam fits the system ok but Wand and Wiegert are supposed to be our starters for now and Salaam won't replace either of them, and they drafted Eric Winston and Charles Spencer as their future OTs, so they're not going to keep Salaam over them. I see Wand, Wiegert, Winston, and Spencer as OTs (I expect Winston will be replacing one of them in the starting lineup pretty early in the year), then Pitts, McKinney, Weary, and Chaisson at OGs, and Flanagan and Hodgdon at C.

Players can be on practice squad thru their first three, maybe four years in the league, and I don't know if Lord will make the active roster early on.

I don't know if Hape will make it, right now he seems like a camp body.

I think they go 6 WRs, generally teams will go 6 since they want the possibility of running a 5 WR set on hail mary's and they want an extra guy available in case of injuries. As for LBs I'm not sure, but Denver always seemed to keep an excess of LBs and RBs around.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read