Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-02-2006   #1
baba ganoush
Veteran

Default our running back situation

why does kubiak want another running back when we already have 4...we have our best runner in DD, then you have 3rd down back in Antwion Smith, you have a good speed guy in Morency which i think kubiak is trying to get rid of him and we got a solid looking rookie in Wali Lundy, why should there be any speculation between our backs?
Rule #7 - play like a champion!!!
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba ganoush
why does kubiak want another running back when we already have 4...we have our best runner in DD, then you have 3rd down back in Antwion Smith, you have a good speed guy in Morency which i think kubiak is trying to get rid of him and we got a solid looking rookie in Wali Lundy, why should there be any speculation between our backs?
Simply because we might get one that is better than one of the four listed.
Old 06-02-2006   #3
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
1. DD's health is in question entering the season
2. Antwain Smith has never been explosive, but is a nice backup in a pinch. Not to mention he is old and might break down if pressed into full duty.
3. Morency is too much of an East-West runner and they want someone that makes one move then heads North. He also is rather green.
4. Lundy is a rookie

That is why they want Bennett.
Old 06-02-2006   #4
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
1. DD's health is in question entering the season
2. Antwain Smith has never been explosive, but is a nice backup in a pinch. Not to mention he is old and might break down if pressed into full duty.
3. Morency is too much of an East-West runner and they want someone that makes one move then heads North. He also is rather green.
4. Lundy is a rookie

That is why they want Bennett.
Agree, but I'd add...Kubes wants maximum competition in camp. He wants guys fighting for time and showing they want it more. The more experience and talent he can add to the pool the tougher the comp and the better for our team. That's why we're looking at Jamel and Gordon.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #5
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Especially when he decided not to bring back Wells. You add in the mysterious waiving of Ragone and you have to wonder about this guy. Seriously.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #6
HeartofHouston
Veteran

He's shaking things up.. like somebody said adding much needed competition to the position..

DD is a injury waiting to happen and if he goes down who's up next?? Smith we'll he's too old to be tryin to carry a full load in my opinion next.. Morency I like this guy but I dont know if he fits our system..next Lundy he's a rook and never really carried a full load at Virgina and has a injury history as well.. Gordon is a big strong tough runner with good speed (not great but good).. White is a strong runner as well.. Bennett is a great back but has injury written all over him.. so in my opinion I dont know if have a person yet could step up if DD goes down..
Old 06-02-2006   #7
DominickDavisFan76
Veteran

Simple Answer Michael Bennett.

Hes very quick, I feel he can have a fresh start in Houston and I think that he will fit the 2 running back system.

EX.

T.J. Duckett-Warrick Dunn
Priest Holmes-Larry Johnson
Willie Parker-Jerome Bettis (retired now)

Is it a coincidence that those teams are very successful.....
So I think that the pieces to the puzzle are finally fitting into place....
DominickDavisFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2006   #8
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofHouston
Smith we'll he's too old to be tryin to carry a full load in my opinion.
Then why did they sign him? Remember, Wells did very well as a backup last year. When Davis was out, Wells did well as his sub. Isn't that all you should expect out of a backup RB?
Old 06-02-2006   #9
HeartofHouston
Veteran

i think they signed smith as more of a relief is DD was to get hurt again.. then i dont think he would have what it takes to be the one leading off for our team..
Old 06-02-2006   #10
HeartofHouston
Veteran

Dont forget..

Tatum Bell/Mike Anderson (AFC West Champs)
DeShaun Foster/Stephen Davis (They went to the super bowl not too long ago)
Old 06-02-2006   #11
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
i think they signed smith as more of a relief is DD was to get hurt again.. then i dont think he would have what it takes to be the one leading off for our team..
If Davis gets hurt and Smith is the #2 guy, then Smith becomes the #1 guy and is the one leading off for the team until Davis gets back.
Old 06-02-2006   #12
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Dont forget..

Tatum Bell/Mike Anderson (AFC West Champs)
DeShaun Foster/Stephen Davis (They went to the super bowl not too long ago)
Now, you aren't comparing the Texans RB situation with these guys, are you?
Old 06-02-2006   #13
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
If Davis gets hurt and Smith is the #2 guy, then Smith becomes the #1 guy and is the one leading off for the team until Davis gets back.
Actually, I would say that in this system, he is the primary #2 back. No matter what, I don't think he would be the guy getting more carries unless we're constantly in 3rd and short situations.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #14
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Then why did they sign him? Remember, Wells did very well as a backup last year. When Davis was out, Wells did well as his sub. Isn't that all you should expect out
of a backup RB?
He will be a situational back. When we signed him we were not planning on using him incase DD got hurt, we planned on using him for short yardage situations.
Old 06-02-2006   #15
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
He will be a situational back. When we signed him we were not planning on using him incase DD got hurt, we planned on using him for short yardage situations.
Wait a minute now. Then who WERE they going to use if Davis got hurt? I believe Morency was demoted to #3. I do believe they are planning to use Smith as Davis's backup if he gets hurt. If not him, then who?
Old 06-02-2006   #16
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
Actually, I would say that in this system, he is the primary #2 back. No matter what, I don't think he would be the guy getting more carries unless we're constantly in 3rd and short situations.
That makes him the #1 back if Davis gets hurt.
Old 06-02-2006   #17
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Wait a minute now. Then who WERE they going to use if Davis got hurt? I believe Morency was demoted to #3. I do believe they are planning to use Smith as Davis's backup if he gets hurt. If not him, then who?
The way I understand it, Morency backs up DD, and Lundy backs up Smith.
Old 06-02-2006   #18
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx
Like I said, I do believe Morency has been demoted.
Old 06-02-2006   #19
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx
Yeah, that's what I meant.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #20
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

This is how I see it as of now. Morency has probably fallen down like Bobo said because he has not fit the system very well so far and he has some work to do. I see it this way. Morency backs up Lundy who backs up DD. Smith gets the short yardage carries. That's why we need Bennett.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read