Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-01-2006   #1
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Default Jamel White and Lamar Gordon

According to http:scout.com/2/536023.html the Texans are trying out both White and Gordon. Why the Texans don't just re-sign Wells is beyond me.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #2
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Likely because they feel that Lamar Gordon and Jamel White potentially have more to offer.
hadaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #3
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I always thought pretty highly of the guy, but the fact that Wells hasn't been picked up by another team speaks for itself.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #4
wrestler4life
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull
I always thought pretty highly of the guy, but the fact that Wells hasn't been picked up by another team speaks for itself.
The raiders should get him after waht he did to them 2 years ago
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #5
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
According to http:scout.com/2/536023.html the Texans are trying out both White and Gordon. Why the Texans don't just re-sign Wells is beyond me.

I used to agree with you about Wells, the thing I have learned is there is two strikes against Wells. I don't know how true it was but supposedly he rubbed the coaching staff the wrong way complaining about playing time, and was not seen as a good locker room guy. The other thing is he is not what the team is looking for. The texans want either a fourth rb, as long as they can return kicks, or someone who is a fb/rb tweener. The latter used to fit Wells perfectly but in the new offense he does have the quickness to make the cut to block the upfield guy, ie. Micheal Anderson.

Last edited by cj5776; 06-02-2006 at 01:02 PM.
cj5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #6
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

I liked Wells but have heard of no interest in him from other teams...
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Jamel White the guy that used to play with the Browns and Lamar Gordon with the Dolphins?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2006   #8
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Is Jamel White the guy that used to play with the Browns and Lamar Gordon with the Dolphins?

Right. I think Gordon actually played in Philly last year, but I think he had injuries.
Old 06-02-2006   #9
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

What ever happened to the other thread on this that was up last night? Just curious because it deleted my post...
Old 06-02-2006   #10
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Lamar Gordon was wel thought of coming out, but injuries have hampered his development. He has good speed and decent hands...his 1st year was his best.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302034

Jamel White has shown more and I remember seing him play a few times. He also has receiving skills and has kick return experience.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/192822

Both great choices to workout and see what they have left.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #11
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull
Then I have to wonder about the fact that Ragone was gobbled up by the Bengals with the Colts waiting right behind them. Let us remember what Wells did against the Cardinals when he ran for 88 yards, added two TDS and 33 yards in receptions. The guy has proven himself -- even if no one else has seen it. He has shown he is a good backup as he has filled in well in a pinch.
Old 06-02-2006   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I love Wells..I think he is great. But im no football guru (yet), I just like him cause he gets the job done when he is out there on the field.

But its apparent that there is something wrong with his game since no other team has picked him up. I guess the only reason we kept him on the team before is because or past staff drafted him.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #13
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
I love Wells..I think he is great. But im no football guru (yet), I just like him cause he gets the job done when he is out there on the field.

But its apparent that there is something wrong with his game since no other team has picked him up. I guess the only reason we kept him on the team before is because or past staff drafted him.
Like I said, if we are going to judge a player based on the fact that others have passed on him, then what about the fact that Ragone was gobbled up by the Bengals with the Colts waiting in line? Does that mean that the current regime might have made an error, heaven forbid? Or how about the fact that Corey Bradford is now sitting at #2 WR on the Lions depth chart? Another mistake, perhaps? Whether a team took Wells or not, the fact of the matter is this: When the Texans needed him to play due to injury last year, Wells stepped up to the plate and helped them win literally half of the team's victories last year. He did his job as a backup very well so I don't see why they didn't just re-sign him. If he complained about PT, I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing, either. After all, do you really want a guy who doesn't care if he plays or not on your team anyway? The fact that he wants to play is a good thing, not a bad thing.
Old 06-02-2006   #14
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Like I said, if we are going to judge a player based on the fact that others have passed on him, then what about the fact that Ragone was gobbled up by the Bengals with the Colts waiting in line? Does that mean that the current regime might have made an error, heaven forbid? Or how about the fact that Corey Bradford is now sitting at #2 WR on the Lions depth chart? Another mistake, perhaps? Whether a team took Wells or not, the fact of the matter is this: When the Texans needed him to play due to injury last year, Wells stepped up to the plate and helped them win literally half of the team's victories last year. He did his job as a backup very well so I don't see why they didn't just re-sign him. If he complained about PT, I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing, either. After all, do you really want a guy who doesn't care if he plays or not on your team anyway? The fact that he wants to play is a good thing, not a bad thing.
Since I don't know anything about the wells thing, I'll leave it alone. But, If the Texans had kept both Jabar Gaffney and Corey Bradford, they would be competing with about 3 other receivers for our #3 spot, IMO they have a much better oppurtunity where they ended up instead of competing to be the 3rd or 4th WR on this team, Aren't they both number 2 on there respective teams now? They both could have asked to seek better oppurtunities for them, and I think they found it, Its no secret they aren't fan favorates around here anymore.
Old 06-02-2006   #15
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx
Since I don't know anything about the wells thing, I'll leave it alone. But, If the Texans had kept both Jabar Gaffney and Corey Bradford, they would be competing with about 3 other receivers for our #3 spot, IMO they have a much better oppurtunity where they ended up instead of competing to be the 3rd or 4th WR on this team, Aren't they both number 2 on there respective teams now? They both could have asked to seek better oppurtunities for them, and I think they found it, Its no secret they aren't fan favorates around here anymore.
I don't understand why the statement about them not being fan favorites means anything. To say that Bradford and Gaffney would be competing for the third or fourth WR positions if they were still here is like saying Bret Favre would still be a backup if he remained with the same team he was with before going to GB. Sure, Favre had a chance to flourish once he was traded, but the fact is that Favre's previous team made a horrendous mistake in getting rid of him. It may have been good for Favre, but it was horrendous for his previous team. I think it's about time to look seriously at the Texans current regime and ask some hard questions about some of their personnel decisions, especially if you want to take into account how the rest of the NFL is reacting to picking up released Texans such as Ragone, Gaffney and Bradford. Perhaps these teams are seeing things Kubiak is not ... hmmm?
Old 06-02-2006   #16
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't understand why the statement about them not being fan favorites means anything. To say that Bradford and Gaffney would be competing for the third or fourth WR positions if they were still here is like saying Bret Favre would still be a backup if he remained with the same team he was with before going to GB. Sure, Favre had a chance to flourish once he was traded, but the fact is that Favre's previous team made a horrendous mistake in getting rid of him. It may have been good for Favre, but it was horrendous for his previous team. I think it's about time to look seriously at the Texans current regime and ask some hard questions about some of their personnel decisions, especially if you want to take into account how the rest of the NFL is reacting to picking up released Texans such as Ragone, Gaffney and Bradford. Perhaps these teams are seeing things Kubiak is not ... hmmm?
So, your saying that releasing Bradford and Gaffney was a horrendous mistake? Even if they are successful this year, I doubt anyone here would be kicking themselves because the Texans let them go.
Old 06-02-2006   #17
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx
So, your saying that releasing Bradford and Gaffney was a horrendous mistake? Even if they are successful this year, I doubt anyone here would be kicking themselves because the Texans let them go.
It very well could be. They could have kept Gaffney for cheap rather than spending all that money on a guy whose #s are dropping and is way past his prime. I simply don't think the Texans gained a thing when they let Gaffney and Bradford go and, as the other NFL teams have shown (if that means anything) they might have taken a step backward. I think Kubiak's personnel moves have been rather puzzling and mystifying at this point, especially regarding Wells, Ragone, Gaffney and Bradford. I will say that I wasn't all that happy with Bradford, but it should be disconcerting when a team grabs your guy and put him ahead of two guys that they burned #1 draft choices on. Perhaps they are seeing something Kubiak isn't.
Old 06-02-2006   #18
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Releasing Bradford was the smartest thing ever, because on our team as of now he would deserve to be the #4 WR. He can go have fun with the struggling Lions. Him getting cut was a long time coming.

Now I for one wish we would've resigned Gaffney. I think he would have been a great and perfect #3 behind Moulds and AJ and he even did decent when AJ was out.
Old 06-02-2006   #19
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
Releasing Bradford was the smartest thing ever, because on our team as of now he would deserve to be the #4 WR. He can go have fun with the struggling Lions. Him getting cut was a long time coming.

Now I for one wish we would've resigned Gaffney. I think he would have been a great and perfect #3 behind Moulds and AJ and he even did decent when AJ was out.
I was no fan of Bradford either. He dropped too many balls. However, I'm not the guy who gets judged for making Texans personnel decisions. That is Kubiak -- and if what other teams do is any judge, then the fact that the Lions took Bradford and immediately put him ahead of both Williams and Rogers -- two guys they burned #1 picks on -- should give us all pause.
Old 06-02-2006   #20
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Quote:
I was no fan of Bradford either. He dropped too many balls. However, I'm not the guy who gets judged for making Texans personnel decisions. That is Kubiak -- and if what other teams do is any judge, then the fact that the Lions took Bradford and immediately put him ahead of both Williams and Rogers -- two guys they burned #1 picks on -- should give us all pause.
Eh, I think we can diagnose a new illness Pre-Season Fever, a time when NFL fans read too much into things.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read