Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Least Changed, Most Changed Teams

I think the writer, like much of the media, is overlooking the affect of good coaching. Each of these teams is mainly best improved/least improved based on player acquisitions. The way I'm reading this, on the plus side, the Texans have brought in a lot of new talent. On the downside, the line looks very similar to last year's with only coaching to help improve.

"The offensive line is still in need of more help than free agents Mike Flanagan and Ephraim Salaam and rookies Charles Spencer and Eric Winston can provide right away, unless new offensive line coach Mike Sherman can work miracles."

1. I think Sherman is going to work miracles. I think the line will be much improved, and our offense will look much better because of it.
2. Houston's line looks very different already, and they haven't added Spenser or Winston as starters. Compare (If I remember correctly) Riley, Pitts, McKinney, Weigert, and Wade vs. Wand, Pitts, Flanagan, McKinney, and Weigert. The majority of the line has a different name at its respective position.

Runner said:
This article describes the 5 teams with the least changes and the 5 teams with the most going into 2006. The Texans are one of the most changed teams.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13071726/
Ignorence is not a good thing when writting a sports column. Anytime I see N.D. Kalu name pop up means the writter really hasent been following this team. Although I am excited about N.D. he hasent even shown up on the radar, all the talk is of Peek, Babin, and Weaver.

The media needs to get off the Bush thing. Its done, its over, Bush isnt signed and already pulled a hamstring. Williams is signed healthy in camp and a straight up monster.

Putzier is a much needed upgrade over Rivers and Bruner with the edition of a healthy Bennie Jopru.

Under estimating this offensive line with Flannigan, Pitts, Winston, Spencer, Wand. This could be a solid line up as long as Wand develops under coach Sherman. Thats another thing, we have Sherman coaching our offensive line and the master of the zone blocking scheme with Kubiak.

D.D. is going to flourish in Kubiacks system and Smith is a much improvement over Wells and Hollings. Not to mention the edition of a pass catching FB in Cook to mix things up in goal-line situations.

Not to mention we have two #1 receivers with Emo and AJ. Throw in walters and you have a tripple threat of giants playing against 5-9, 5-10 corners.

I could keep going but who would read it? The Texasn are going to be the most underestimated team in 07'.

Does this guy think that reggie can run on us?

This man is crazy.

I can think of one man that wont reggie run on us and this is what it looks like.

:mario: :mario: :mario:

reggie:hides:

TEXANRED said:
Ignorence is not a good thing when writting a sports column. Anytime I see N.D. Kalu name pop up means the writter really hasent been following this team. Although I am excited about N.D. he hasent even shown up on the radar, all the talk is of Peek, Babin, and Weaver.

The media needs to get off the Bush thing. Its done, its over, Bush isnt signed and already pulled a hamstring. Williams is signed healthy in camp and a straight up monster.

Putzier is a much needed upgrade over Rivers and Bruner with the edition of a healthy Bennie Jopru.

Under estimating this offensive line with Flannigan, Pitts, Winston, Spencer, Wand. This could be a solid line up as long as Wand develops under coach Sherman. Thats another thing, we have Sherman coaching our offensive line and the master of the zone blocking scheme with Kubiak.

D.D. is going to flourish in Kubiacks system and Smith is a much improvement over Wells and Hollings. Not to mention the edition of a pass catching FB in Cook to mix things up in goal-line situations.

Not to mention we have two #1 receivers with Emo and AJ. Throw in walters and you have a tripple threat of giants playing against 5-9, 5-10 corners.

I could keep going but who would read it? The Texasn are going to be the most underestimated team in 07'.

I would read it, and I was hovering over the props button (Reputation) untill you stopped.

Heres a reason why we don't hear much about N.D. Kalu, not many in this area knows about him, so the fans on this forum don't talk about him, and if the fans don't really know him, then the media won't write about him, we have so much exciting stuff going for us right now, and the media is payed to give people what they want, and most people want news on David Carr, AJ, E-Moulds, DD, Our whole O-Line, :mario: , Ryans :superman: , Dunta, Wong, Mathis, P-buc, Babin, Peek, Weaver, TJ, Payne, RoBear, and of course Coach K. and speculation on who our new GM will be, with all this going around, alot of players are being left in the shadows media-wise, which could be good or bad for them.

Edit: added bold to Quote.

I sure hope the new Oline is successful. I think it will be better than 05 and the over all offense will be much better. I get excited thinking positively but then tend to drop down emotionally when I think of the negatives. I continue to put the majority of my $ on the coaches.

I think DD not having to catch so many passes will help his health. Having fulbacks and TEs to be checkdown safety valve recievers instead of dumping it to DD when no one else is open will really save him some bumps and bruises.

Which is my other point, haveing the west coast progression of reads and the overal offensive system will save sacks and make the o line look better. Better teaching and weapons are huge but saying the old playbook did not get the most of the talent we had, is something:superman: captain obvisious would say

How much more could we do to improve our offensive line? We signed two proven guys (one a Pro-Bowl center) who could start right away. We drafted two offensive linemen and hired a proven coach to coach the O-line. I don't know if signing 5 free agent linemen to replace the previous 5 would have worked...

TexanSam said:
How much more could we do to improve our offensive line? We signed two proven guys (one a Pro-Bowl center) who could start right away. We drafted two offensive linemen and hired a proven coach to coach the O-line. I don't know if signing 5 free agent linemen to replace the previous 5 would have worked...

Is the second proven guy Ephriam Salaam, because I'm sorry to say, that isn't looking to good...but otherwise I agree with you 100%.

Simply put, the old regime lost it's thunder in the first 4 games of this season. And it all started by not commiting to David Carr's protection (just talking about it). And the "coup de gras" was losing the veteran leadership on the Defense - Glens leadership was huge the first 3 years of the Texans existance.

All in all, the outlook looks good for this team; because it's being aggressivley proactive. They are bringing in players (lots of them). And they are bringing in starting calibur potential players as backups.

The Defense is going to have the potential to be a juggernaut up front. Geez, I don't want to compare it to the Dallas Cowboys of the 1990's, but with 8 guys fighting tooth and nail for starting positions, and only 4 spots, the Defensive Line is going to stay fresh(assuming the coaching staff utilizes them right). And the pressure on the quarterbacks is going to be unyielding!!!

And anytime you add a pro bowl guy to an offensive line, it's a good sign. Pitt gets moved to the position he was drafted to play. McKinney is back at the position he excelled early in his career. And Wand who one year ago had a good year, get a new coaching staff and a new swagger of confidence after being utterly confused this past season at Left Guard (Victor Riley was a big mistake for the Texans). And Wiggert is healty again. Not to mention 2solid draft picks in the 3rd round.

I like this team. Protecting Carr finally takes up a bit of attention of the coaches!!!

And the Texans did the right thing if they want to win a Championship. Defensive Ends win you more games than Running backs. Because it is the Defensive ends that set the table!!!! On offense there are multiple options to score (Wide Receivers, Tight Ends, Running Backs, Full Backs, Quarterback sneeks). But if you can sack or pressure the quarterback EFFECTIVELY, then the offense stalls and your offense get the ball BACK!!!!

:ok:

I was crunching numbers last night on the current roster and noted that 42 of the 93 players have arrived since Kubiak became head coach. This includes the rookies that were drafted of course. I was blown away by those numbers. Looks like this really will be Kubiak's team.

Here's another article in the same vein:

texans.scout.com

"Top 5 Winners and Losers in NFL Free Agency"

4. Houston Texans
Everyone in South Texans already knows what most of the league and its fans may just now be catching up to: The Texans had a great off-season. They added depth in the linebacking corps with Sam Cowart, shored up the defensive line with Anthony Cook and gave quarterback David Carr more weapons by signing fullback Jameel Cook and tight end Jeb Putzier. But the biggest move came when they signed Eric Moulds, who will provide the Texans with a legitimate number two receiver threat for the first time ever. They also picked up running back

Personally, I would prefer a team that doesn't need massive changes to a team that has so many holes that you have to plug all at once just to avoid ridiculousness.

It is sooooo much easier to play with teammates you are used to than having to incorporate a lot of new guys. It has been my experience that less talented people who are used to being teammates usually play better than more talented people who are getting used to a new system. It is all about reacting and not having to think through things so much.

That being said, the Texans had to get better both in free agency and the draft, just to improve the general talent levels and create some actual depth.

4. Houston Texans
Everyone in South Texans already knows what most of the league and its fans may just now be catching up to: The Texans had a great off-season. They added depth in the linebacking corps with Sam Cowart, shored up the defensive line with Anthony Cook and gave quarterback David Carr more weapons by signing fullback Jameel Cook and tight end Jeb Putzier. But the biggest move came when they signed Eric Moulds, who will provide the Texans with a legitimate number two receiver threat for the first time ever. They also picked up running back

Who is Anthony Cook?
Is it supposed to be Weaver?

TEXANRED said:

I hope the press keeps the blinders on, and that they share with rival NFL coaches. I don't want anyone to know we're coming till we.....

Brandon420tx said:
I wasn't trying to be rude, just clearing it up for comprehension purposes.

Whoops. I wasn't intending to be a smartaz about it, but I can see how I came off that way. It was a nice catch because I just glanced through it and in my mind read it as Weaver.

Back