Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Steve McNair Wins Grievance Case Against Titans

Exascor

Veteran
NFL.com

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (May 31, 2006) -- The Tennessee Titans must allow Steve McNair to work out on their property as long as he has a contract with the team, an arbitrator ruled.

Arbitrator John Feerick heard more than seven hours of testimony May 16 on charges that the Titans breached McNair's contract by barring him from working out at the team's headquarters. The union filed the grievance, arguing he should be allowed to work out on the property or be released.

General Counsel Richard Berthelsen called it a victory for the NFL Players Association and McNair.

The Titans originally told McNair on April 3 he wasn't allowed to work out on the property because they feared the liability of a $23.46 million salary-cap hit if McNair got hurt. Negotiations to reduce that cap number have been nearly nonexistent.

Tennessee allowed McNair's agent, Bus Cook, to talk with the Baltimore Ravens during the NFL draft in April after the team drafted Vince Young of Texas with the No. 3 overall pick. Cook worked out a deal, but a trade fell through when the Titans called the Ravens' offer insignificant.

McNair is under contract for the 2006 season.

Go to practice Steve and break a leg.....then they won't be able to sign any of the rookies. Serve them right for slaping you around.

edo783 said:
Go to practice Steve and break a leg.....then they won't be able to sign any of the rookies. Serve them right for slaping you around.

Bwahahaha. I'd rather him just get a very temporary injury, because I like him. I'd want him to make Bud sweat about it, and then I would like for him to totally kill in Baltimore.

Vengence in your heart is an ugly thing, but we all have vices.

Man, the business side of football is as ruthless as anything on the field. If anyone 'deserves' to be treated right by an organization, it's Steve McNair. But all's fair in love, war, and professional sports, 'eh?

Hope he lands with a team that will appreciate him! I've always like him as a player, even on a team I despise. It would be cool to see him rise again and find success, making ol' Bud look like the miser he is.

jayseed2002 said:
Thats kinda how I feel about Young! I hope he redefines the QB spot, and wins 12-13 games a year for a decade! Then see how EVERYBODY goes..... "um..... um..... I told you we should have taken Vince Young, I told you he was going to be great!" :stooges:

The better situation would be that Vince would do poorly in Tennessee because it is Tennessee and then get traded and then kill. You know, about as painful as coming up short in the Super Bowl by one yard.

Thought this was an interesting point from the Chronicle article:

"The decision also makes clear that the club's actions did not constitute discipline and that players do not have an absolute right under the CBA to offseason workouts at a club's facility. The arbitrator went out of his way to say that this is an unusual and narrow case, and that only under these unique circumstances must the club grant the player a right to work out at its facility," league officials said in a statement.

Hmmm, I wonder if we are going to see this come out in ugly negotiations in the future? No proper way to run a bidness tho.

jayseed2002 said:
No actually...... it would be better if Vince does it in Tennesee and out plays Carr 3 times a year (twice during the regular season and once in the playoffs) and pulls of miracle plays like he did in the Rose Bowl. Then the 85% of people that bashed him since January will have to eat their words.

Now you might think I am being mean, but we passed up on an unbelievable talent. Vince is a classy person and has done great things at Madison and UT...... now I hope he CONQUERS the NFL and that we see him in the AFC championship every year! I will root for the Texans even when we play Vince, but I wish Vince well in each and every game he ever plays. No need to get mad at Bud for sticking it to us once again, WE LET HIM!

I wondered where that darn VY bandwagon had ran off to....seems that it has squeaked its annoying presence back here again. :stirpot:

Steve McNair is a great Football warrior, maybe a little past his prime but still has gas in the tank. Them Titans just don't have any manners it seems, treating Steve in this manner after all he has done for them.
Give 'em hell, Steve!! :) (hey, it's just business....)

jayseed2002 said:
No actually...... it would be better if Vince does it in Tennesee and out plays Carr 3 times a year (twice during the regular season and once in the playoffs) and pulls of miracle plays like he did in the Rose Bowl. Then the 85% of people that bashed him since January will have to eat their words.

Now you might think I am being mean, but we passed up on an unbelievable talent. Vince is a classy person and has done great things at Madison and UT...... now I hope he CONQUERS the NFL and that we see him in the AFC championship every year! I will root for the Texans even when we play Vince, but I wish Vince well in each and every game he ever plays. No need to get mad at Bud for sticking it to us once again, WE LET HIM!

Give it a rest... can we call this guy a troll yet, just curious? Like everyone that says "you should have drafted [Insert name here]" is automatically labeled a troll and will be forced to eat :worm: s and :penguin: s for a month

:twocents:

Hopefully this will mean one of 2 things:

McNair plays for the Titans another year. He not worth what the Titans will have to pay him, or

He goes to the Ravens (or elsewhere) after they cut him and get nothing in return.

The Ravens would be fools to offer even a 6th round draft pick for him now. They can get him for nothing if they want him.

jayseed2002 said:
I appreciate the name calling, very mature.

And I appreciate you bringing up the old DRAFT SO AND SO debacle... Its over, and I get to call you names now :tease: :neener:

Ok, had to get the 5-year old out of my system, serisously though, we drafted Mario, We're taking this team in a different direction and after a 2-14 season, how can that be a bad thing? :redtowel:

Oh and if you do want to get into the Draft so and so thing with me, I didn't want either Young or Bush, as I felt we were already strong at those postitions, didn't care who we got, as long as it was a high quality player that wasn't either of them, and I am extremely happy with the way things turned out.

jayseed2002 said:
I said that I hope that VY tears up the NFL and that he does it in Tennessee. Texans chick wanted him to do it somewhere else..... I want him to do it there! :perfect10: Fitting #!
Ah, Ok

:fishing: <-- My official peace smiley

Although I don't share your "Super-Vince" outlook, but thats opinions and opinions are like noses, everyone has one and it smells *Very old cliche*

jayseed2002 said:

lost your nose, buddy? :D

anyway, i say good for steve. i like that he's gonna eat some cap room.

jayseed2002 said:
I said that I hope that VY tears up the NFL and that he does it in Tennessee. Texans chick wanted him to do it somewhere else..... I want him to do it there! :perfect10: Fitting #!

Well then, I don't quite understand why you have a Toro avatar. Seriously, wanting Tennessee to win usually means you are required to turn in your Texans card.

You know, same division and all.

But I guess some people like bragging rights over having their team win.

Vince Young isn't going to redefine the QB position, no QB redefines the QB position.

Thats something you here all the time and it never happens.

Randall Cunningham was supposed to redefine the position, guess what he didn't

Micheal Vick was supposed to redefine the position, guess what he didn't

Now Vince Young is going to redefine the position, guess what he won't

Football has been around for over 80 years, every possible athlete you can think of has come and gone.

Honestly I don't know how you can call yourself a Texan fan then post something like this

jayseed2002 said:
I love the Texans, been a season ticket holder since day one (and will be one till the day I die and then my son will get them), LOVE FOOTBALL, but David Carr drives me NUTS! I am sooooo tired of the O-LIne, Capers, Palmer, Receivers, Casserly, the system,....... everybody is to blame for this debacle EXCEPT David Carr (the golden boy). I want Vince Young to PROVE everybody that we screwed the pick up. I respect your opinion and your wishes, it just kills me that they passed on such a great talent....... and I still think we are going to pay for it! Nothing would be sweeter than to see Bud shake Vince's hand when the Super Bowl trophy is presented on National TV. I hope we go 14-2 every year and meet them in the championship game (but that will NEVER happen with David Carr "leading" this team) . And then maybe in your blog you can say........ Maybe Vince Young was what we needed. LOL :redtowel:

You want Vince Young to prove to everybody that we screwed the pick up.

In order for us to have screwed up the pick Mario has to fail, so what are you now secrectly rooting against Mario, because if he becomes great it really doesn't what Young does.

I don't know how you can root for the Texans and know everything this city went through with the Oilers and then say "nothing would be sweeter to see BUD shake Young's hand as the lombardi trophy is presented on National TV"

That makes my stomach turn.

I loved Vince in college, but I wish the Titans nothing, but the worst with that man as the owner.

It kills you that we passed on "such a great talent", guess what there were about six possible "great talents" we passed on. AJ Hawk, D'brick, Reggie Bush, Vernon Davis, Vince Young, and Matt Lienart. Every draft when you pick high you pass on great talent and quite frankly I don't care how great of a talent Young is, the option doesn't work in the NFL. The strengths he had over everybody in college doesn't exist anymore, he is now playing against players that are just and more athletic than he is.

As far as us not going anywhere, "with Carr leading this team". Its funny how all the "great leaders", played on great teams.

Steve Young was a "Great Leader", that lead his team's to championship, funny how when he was with Tampa Bay, and surrounded with absolute crap he was a hack of a QB and was destined to be a career back up.

Its funny how when Bradshaw came into the league he struggled, but soon became a gritty leader about the same time his receivers developed and the team fielded quite possibly the greatest defensive team of a decade.

Its funny how a 6th round pick can come into the league and is now regarded as a great "leader" playing behind one of the best Olines, defenses, defensive guru of a coach, top flight O coordinator, and won two of his Superbowls with the right foot of his kicker.

Its funny how Bret Favre is considered a field General, but as soon as his Offensive line falls apart, as well as the talent level of the players around him, he no longer holds that title.

Teams win Championships

Vince of all people should know that, (especially with the play of David Thomas and Michael Huff and his defense in the Rose Bowl.)

Sometimes I just wish his fans would realize it.

Back