Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-31-2006   #1
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Default Many have been asking about this guy

Here is a piece from an article from an Michigan newspaper that did an article about up and coming WR Kevin Walter. This will give you some insight as to why they went after him as soon as FA opened in March this year and signed him to the offer they did.

"If you sit and study Kevin, it's obvious he's a very good player,'' Texans receivers coach Kyle Shanahan said last week via phone. "Very obvious. In the NFL, most of the corners are faster than the receivers. The key is you have to get the DBs to run, so you can break down and separate from them. Kevin comes off the ball at full speed right away. He comes off the snap and he's on top of them. So he can get them back-pedalling ... and Kevin can then get his hips very low for a guy who's 6-4, and break down quickly. You can see that on tape. You can see the separation he gets on corners.

"It's not like we felt we had this secret. We knew Cincinnati had to think the same of the guy, but I felt we had a chance to get him because of (the Bengals) commitment to some of their other receivers.''

and here is the link
http://www.mlive.com/sports/aanews/i...l=2&thispage=1

Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #2
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Good article. I still think he's a little overrated so far though. Hopefully he proves me wrong as he sounds like he can be a solid #3 for us.
Old 05-31-2006   #3
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan Blue and Orange
Here is a piece from an article from an Michigan newspaper that did an article about up and coming WR Kevin Walter. This will give you some insight as to why they went after him as soon as FA opened in March this year and signed him to the offer they did.

"If you sit and study Kevin, it's obvious he's a very good player,'' Texans receivers coach Kyle Shanahan said last week via phone. "Very obvious. In the NFL, most of the corners are faster than the receivers. The key is you have to get the DBs to run, so you can break down and separate from them. Kevin comes off the ball at full speed right away. He comes off the snap and he's on top of them. So he can get them back-pedalling ... and Kevin can then get his hips very low for a guy who's 6-4, and break down quickly. You can see that on tape. You can see the separation he gets on corners.

"It's not like we felt we had this secret. We knew Cincinnati had to think the same of the guy, but I felt we had a chance to get him because of (the Bengals) commitment to some of their other receivers.''

and here is the link
http://www.mlive.com/sports/aanews/i...l=2&thispage=1

When you read the article, there are 3 pages to it at the bottom of each page.
Old 05-31-2006   #4
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
Good article. I still think he's a little overrated so far though. Hopefully he proves me wrong as he sounds like he can be a solid #3 for us.
He is not overrated we have not even seen him play yet............But from what I hear he is a bigger Brandon Stockley, he wears 85 I hope he does not do some of the things the old 85 did for our team, like drop balls when we need him the MOST.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #5
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Thanks for posting the nice article on Walters. The Texans have totally revamped their receiving core this year and I think for obvious reasons. What was a weakness might be the biggest strenth this year. What I like is our receivers are big, fast, and have excellent hands. That is a deadly combination for the other team defensively. Its what Carr has needed all along. Before there was AJ, AJ, AJ, and DD. Basically he had no one to throw to other than AJ. It showed in the way teams played AJ.

Teams who play us like they did last year are in for a rude awakening. There will be many more single coverage options this year and we are going to burn a few people who think otherwise. Walters was a very important addition, but the biggest was Moulds. He is going to have a big impact on AJ and Walters as a MENTOR and Moulds wants to WIN I believe in the worst way. AJ is not far behind in that category and it sounds the same for Walters. Desire can be an awesome weapon particulary in the hands of skilled players.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #6
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28100 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Give him # 81 for "8'nt 1 droppin out of my hands"
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #7
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
But from what I hear he is a bigger Brandon Stockley, he wears 85 I hope he does not do some of the things the old 85 did for our team, like drop balls when we need him the MOST.
Exactly. He's getting compared to Brandon Stokely. He's not Brandon. He might be in a few years but he isn't now. Derick Armstrong will give him a run for his money and we'll see how Stokelyish Kevin Walter is.
Old 05-31-2006   #8
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Exactly. He's getting compared to Brandon Stokely. He's not Brandon. He might be in a few years but he isn't now. Derick Armstrong will give him a run for his money and we'll see how Stokelyish Kevin Walter is.
And as I said that you did not put on there, you have not seem him play yet, I am just going off what I read and what his coach Shanahan had to say about him...........Pretty much he said we found a diamond in a group of diamonds in Bengal land.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #9
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
The only comparison between Armstrong and Walters is his hands. Other than that Armstrong can't hold a candle to Walters. Physically Armstrong is just not in the same league. Armstrong is potentially Mould's or AJ's eventual replacement. He's that big and strong. Remember, he played well against Pittsburg in last year's playoffs and that's no easy task. If anything Arstrong causes Mathis to be cut.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #10
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Quote:

Did Kevin beat you out in High school or steal your college scholarship or something. I thought if anyone, you being from Illinois, would be a backer of Walter, but my guess is he did something to you in a past life or you just have not followed him throughout his career.

I thought BOBO was bad, but you must be his brother.
Old 05-31-2006   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did Kevin beat you out in High school or steal your college scholarship or something. I thought if anyone, you being from Illinois, would be a backer of Walter, but my guess is he did something to you in a past life or you just have not followed him throughout his career.

I thought BOBO was bad, but you must be his brother.
He is 16 and Bobo is old enough to be his Father, so you are off by a generation or so.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #12
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
He is 16 and Bobo is old enough to be his Father, so you are off by a generation or so.
I'm his son, lol, just kidding.

I'm just saying you know maybe I'm too high on Derick Armstrong and maybe everyone is a little too high on Kevin Walter. Kevin Walter was a #4 WR in Cinci and for a reason. I know they had a great 1-2 punch but Washington was an average #3 and Walter couldn't beat him out. I'm just not very high on him, and I need him to prove it to me. I've seen Armstrong played and I think he's got a lot of talent he wasn't able to show under Capers and Co.

Kevin Walter is supposed to be amazing as our 3rd WR and he has never gotten over 20 catches in a season. It's a little early to start getting this excited over him before he's stepped on the field. You can tell me how amazing he is going to be but I'm going to wait until the season starts to jump on the bandwagon.

Last edited by TexanFan881; 05-31-2006 at 02:17 PM.
TexanFan881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #13
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"If you sit and study Kevin, it's obvious he's a very good player,'' Texans receivers coach Kyle Shanahan said last week via phone. "Very obvious. In the NFL, most of the corners are faster than the receivers. The key is you have to get the DBs to run, so you can break down and separate from them. Kevin comes off the ball at full speed right away. He comes off the snap and he's on top of them. So he can get them back-pedalling ... and Kevin can then get his hips very low for a guy who's 6-4, and break down quickly. You can see that on tape. You can see the separation he gets on corners."
That's an interesting observation from Shanahan regarding the ability to get separation on the corners . . . in light of the fact that IMO, I consider that to be Andre Johnson's biggest weakness.

(Oh . . and a . . don't go there with the double coverage bit, lest you want to bring T.O. and Moss into it)
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #14
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Quote:
I'm his son, lol, just kidding.

I'm just saying you know maybe I'm too high on Derick Armstrong and maybe everyone is a little too high on Kevin Walter. Kevin Walter was a #4 WR in Cinci and for a reason. I know they had a great 1-2 punch but Washington was an average #3 and Walter couldn't beat him out. I'm just not very high on him, and I need him to prove it to me. I've seen Armstrong played and I think he's got a lot of talent he wasn't able to show under Capers and Co.

Kevin Walter is supposed to be amazing as our 3rd WR and he has never gotten over 20 catches in a season. It's a little early to start getting this excited over him before he's stepped on the field. You can tell me how amazing he is going to be but I'm going to wait until the season starts to jump on the bandwagon.

I respect that. I am going to assume your knowledge of the game is average to above average. so knowing that you must know the politics that go along with drafting and playing players. In a perfect world, the best talented would be on the field. That is true to some level. but it is also a business and money invested is where you play your players; or why did you pay them that much.

Washington was a 3rd round pick and kevin was signed to the practice squad. Yes he got cut, (let's look at why) but he got drafted by the Giants and went to camp with 9 WRs for 5 spots 4 were veterans and locked in leaving 4 WRs to fight for 1 spot. The Giants waived him HOPING they would be able to sign him to their practice squad. No such luck... less that 24 hours after being waived, Cinici signed him immediately and then signed him to the 53 man roster just 3 weeks later.

Every year he has improved his game, size, strength, and most of all reducing his speed each offseason. he became their special teams ACE and also a WR that Cinci counted on during pressure situations. yes he had 20 catches, but 14-16 of those catches resulted in First Downs, thus keeping the offense on the field.

Another thing, during the playoff game against the SB Champs henry went down, they could have easily went to Washington, but did they? Not ONCE!! Kevin went in there and every time they looked his way he moved the ball. He lead the team that game in yards received.

Also, think to yourself why Cinci signed Washington to ONLY 1 year deal. Cinci NEVER expected someone to offer Kevin what Houston did. They would have loved to have Kevin, but with Chad and TJ and your newest prospect in Henry (whom is probably going to jail) and other needs on the team, they could not match.

Kube knew that and that is why Kevin was the first saught after FA. Kevin has been caught up in the numbers game in NY and in Cinci and now he has the opportunnity to shine here in Houston and I am sure that everyone will love him and be a little shocked when they see him in action and probably ask themselves how did he not get used more often.

Old 05-31-2006   #15
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I respect that. I am going to assume your knowledge of the game is average to above average. so knowing that you must know the politics that go along with drafting and playing players. In a perfect world, the best talented would be on the field. That is true to some level. but it is also a business and money invested is where you play your players; or why did you pay them that much.

Washington was a 3rd round pick and kevin was signed to the practice squad. Yes he got cut, (let's look at why) but he got drafted by the Giants and went to camp with 9 WRs for 5 spots 4 were veterans and locked in leaving 4 WRs to fight for 1 spot. The Giants waived him HOPING they would be able to sign him to their practice squad. No such luck... less that 24 hours after being waived, Cinici signed him immediately and then signed him to the 53 man roster just 3 weeks later.

Every year he has improved his game, size, strength, and most of all reducing his speed each offseason. he became their special teams ACE and also a WR that Cinci counted on during pressure situations. yes he had 20 catches, but 14-16 of those catches resulted in First Downs, thus keeping the offense on the field.

Another thing, during the playoff game against the SB Champs henry went down, they could have easily went to Washington, but did they? Not ONCE!! Kevin went in there and every time they looked his way he moved the ball. He lead the team that game in yards received.

Also, think to yourself why Cinci signed Washington to ONLY 1 year deal. Cinci NEVER expected someone to offer Kevin what Houston did. They would have loved to have Kevin, but with Chad and TJ and your newest prospect in Henry (whom is probably going to jail) and other needs on the team, they could not match.

Kube knew that and that is why Kevin was the first saught after FA. Kevin has been caught up in the numbers game in NY and in Cinci and now he has the opportunnity to shine here in Houston and I am sure that everyone will love him and be a little shocked when they see him in action and probably ask themselves how did he not get used more often.

I do see what you're saying and I'm really hoping you're right, believe me. I would love to see Kevin go in there and do what you all are saying he can do. I just think that sometimes maybe we can get a little high on the players we have and we can think they are better than they actually are (I know I've done that before..., and I probably am with Armstrong) and that the reality can be that he will not be an huge part of the passing game. I do hope you are 100% correct though.
Old 05-31-2006   #16
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Walters as more our McCafferty or Jurvicous (sp). Big, tough, good hands guys, who are reliable and can beat you if you don't pay attention to them.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #17
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan
I see Walters as more our McCafferty or Jurvicous (sp). Big, tough, good hands guys, who are reliable and can beat you if you don't pay attention to them.
Yup, and I think he has more speed also. Could be a major offseason pick up, or just another solid possesion guy. Time will tell.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #18
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Ya I think this guy will be a good number 3 and a good #2 after experience when moulds retires!
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #19
JAXwithanX
Veteran

The only real comparison with Stokley and Walter is they are #3 possession type receivers and they are white. Walter is 4 inches taller and much more suited for shorter passes, almost like a more smaller, more agile TE in the middle of the field. A better comparison would be Keyshawn Johnson (think type of game....) thats right i made the ever elusive cross-ethnic comparison. We don't always have to use the same race when comparing players but if you must have that i guess you could say a Drew Bennett.
JAXwithanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #20
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default tailor made to comlement AJ

I know having a larger cap has a lot to do with it, but not only landing a solid player to development into #2 receiver in Walters plus a very good current #2 in Moulds is one heck of an offseason!!!!

With Walters and Johnson being the future they just need a little more speed from the #3, the arena guy or eventually Mathis or whoever.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read