Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-31-2006   #1
jayseed2002

Default Today we should all have a moment of silence.....

And thank God that TODAY is the LAST day of the Charley (opps) Casserly regime! I am wondering if he can take any of the BLOWN draft picks with him? This is like a washing of filthy hands! I just hope that Kubiack can try to fix what damage has been done.
Old 05-31-2006   #2
AFD1717
Veteran

Casserly's Biggest Flops:

Buchanon, Gaffney, Travis Johnson
*Check with me next year to see if Babin makes this list

Biggest Steals:

Mathis, Davis, Henson
*Check with me next year to see if Winston and Spencer makes this list

Add in the guys I forgot...
AFD1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #3
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't necessarily think that T.J. is a flop. I think he was drafted as a project and didn't quite fit into the scheme we were using last year (as did 95% of the team). I think he will be used correctly this year and will benefit a lot from the staff/scheme changes as will the rest of the team.
Old 05-31-2006   #4
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

To me its a sad day. Casserly was a lot better than some of you think. In the end he and Kubiak were working very well together. Its rummored he saved guys like Wand from the Ax last year. We will have to see what happens.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #5
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635
I don't necessarily think that T.J. is a flop. I think he was drafted as a project and didn't quite fit into the scheme we were using last year (as did 95% of the team). I think he will be used correctly this year and will benefit a lot from the staff/scheme changes as will the rest of the team.
I'm not ready to bail on him quite yet, but I'm really not very optimistic. I agree that he was used incorrectly, but he doesn't seem very coachable. I also don't like guys who don't work hard in practice. Maybe I just still hate the fact that we didn't take Derrick Johnson.
AFD1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Its rummored he saved guys like Wand from the Ax last year.
Where was that ever rumored?
Old 05-31-2006   #7
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseed2002
He was 18-46 in 4 seasons and we still have as many questions to answer in year 5 that we did in year 1. Has the o-line got that much better? WR-OK, RB-OK, QB- HUGE QUESTION MARK, D-line OK, LBS- many questions, secondary-take away Daunte and there are many questions..... depth????? MANY QUESTIONS!!!!!!

Live off your super bowls of MANY years ago....... this is the NFL (Not for Long) ie..... what have you done lately?
There were a lot of hands in the pot. In fact perhaps too many. Like I said I still think he's one of the best around. You won't realize that until he's gone and you look back.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-31-2006   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Casserly was a lot better than some of you think.
Quote of the day, Ibar . . . quote of the day!
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There were a lot of hands in the pot. In fact perhaps too many. Like I said I still think he's one of the best around. You won't realize that until he's gone and you look back.
The fact that there were too many hands in the pot (I'm not sure what that means, really) was Charley's fault. He liked to say that the buck stopped with him. But it was the assistant coaches who were behind the Babin and Buchanon deals. When McNair gave him the ultimatum for solving the offensive line woes, Capers asked for defensive help in both the draft and free agency. And he got it. All the Texans came up with for o-line help was the vagabond Victor Riley. And where was Casserly when Capers asked Palmer to step down from the OC position (and he refused) during the '05 offseason? Charley lost his job because people stepped on his authority. That doesn't make you one of "the best around".

One thing I'll miss about Casserly is his candor. He was as open as he could be on his TV and radio shows. As things heated up for him least season, Charley wasn't so frank. Still, I gleaned much information on the Texans and the NFL from his weekly media spots. Probably much more than we'll get from the next guy the Texans hire.
Old 05-31-2006   #10
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD1717
I'm not ready to bail on him quite yet, but I'm really not very optimistic. I agree that he was used incorrectly, but he doesn't seem very coachable. I also don't like guys who don't work hard in practice. Maybe I just still hate the fact that we didn't take Derrick Johnson.

I was not aware of him being "uncoachable and slacking in practice". Not to start an argument, but do you have proof of this? I do not go to practices so I have no first hand knowledge of whether he does or does not practice seriously and whether or not he is coachable. I am just trying to have enough optomism to hope we didn't blow a first round pick on a non-learning slacker.
Old 05-31-2006   #11
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To me its a sad day. Casserly was a lot better than some of you think. In the end he and Kubiak were working very well together. Its rummored he saved guys like Wand from the Ax last year. We will have to see what happens.
I totaly agree with you Harry, he did a DARN GOOD job considering this was a new Franchise, My hat goes off to him and Dom Capers for even accepting a job with nothing to start with.

Good Job CC, good luck and Thanks for taking a job that most GMs would not want back then.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #12
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll be having a moment of silence by screaming at the top of my lungs out of joy! I'll never forget Casserly for picking Jabar Gaffney over Clinton Portis and Bennie Joppru over Jason Witten. Yes he did find Domanick Davis, C.C.Brown, and Jerome Mathis. But every once in a while you get lucky and hope that your scouts have done their jobs. I wish him goodluck but I'm happy to see him go.
Old 05-31-2006   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer
I'll never forget Casserly for picking Jabar Gaffney over Clinton Portis ...
Why is it everyone who wants to complain about missing on Portis picks out Gaffney as the pick where the Texans botched passing on him? Gaffney was considered a 1st round talent and BPA type player at #33. Portis was taken at #51 (he wasn't even the next RB taken, DeShaun Foster was at #34), one pick behind Pitts at #50, who was considered a reach by many. Oh wait, now I see it--making things more extreme thru the application of hindsight.
Old 05-31-2006   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Why is it everyone who wants to complain about missing on Portis picks out Gaffney as the pick where the Texans botched passing on him? Gaffney was considered a 1st round talent and BPA type player at #33. Portis was taken at #51 (he wasn't even the next RB taken, DeShaun Foster was at #34), one pick behind Pitts at #50, who was considered a reach by many. Oh wait, now I see it--making things more extreme thru the application of hindsight.
Which is the point of bringing up Joppru in this context. You have to be really out of it to pick a player who is going to be hurt for 3 years.
Old 05-31-2006   #15
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Which is the point of bringing up Joppru in this context. You have to be really out of it to pick a player who is going to be hurt for 3 years.

Injuries are not the GM's fault I do believe that Charlie did a good job I am more inclinded to blame the issue's on Coaching.
Old 05-31-2006   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

There's far too many players Casserly had a hand in selecting, including really key players, whose careers are still too early in the pipeline to measure their ultimate success or failure in the NFL in order to grade Charleys time here. The best example of this is the biggest and first pick of all excluding the X-Draft, QB Carr.
Its still too soon to know about PBurnt though that's not looking good, too soon for Babin, and no way to rate TJ this early.
Hollings a huge bust no doubt, but alot of success especially in the later rounds as mentioned earlier. And the obvious, steller picks like AJ & D-Rob.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #17
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseed2002
Does the GM HIRE THE COACH?????????
I don't think this is just a rhetorical question with this team. I think the owner structured the front office to restrict the GM's authority over the coaches. For instance, I don't think Casserly had the authority to fire assistant coaches if Dom wouldn't, and couldn't even fire Dom if he chose to.

Does anyone know for sure?
Old 05-31-2006   #18
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

T.J. was rated the #1 dt in the draft last year and the Texans needed DL help, so I wouldn't consider T.J. a CC bust just yet.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #19
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer
I'll be having a moment of silence by screaming at the top of my lungs out of joy! I'll never forget Casserly for picking Jabar Gaffney over Clinton Portis and Bennie Joppru over Jason Witten. Yes he did find Domanick Davis, C.C.Brown, and Jerome Mathis. But every once in a while you get lucky and hope that your scouts have done their jobs. I wish him goodluck but I'm happy to see him go.
I know you called it, right before the draft we all heard you.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #20
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't remember if I mentioned them or not back then, but I was definitely in favor of drafting Portis and Witten in those respectives drafts. I was a big Portis fan when he was in Miami and I knew he had a chance to be a superstar in the league. As for Witten he was the best tightend in the nation. I thought those 2 guys could have helped us out a lot. Those two were examples, but last year picking Travis Johnson, the Buchanon trade, Jason Babin, and drafting Charles Hill in the first draft etc. Like I said, I'm happy to see him and go and hopefully our next G.M. will do a better job of evaluating talent.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read