Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-30-2006   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222730 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 3 Texans released / 1 signed

KFFL reports that we have picked up the arena football WR which had been entertained in another thread.

Texans | A. Torrey released
Tue, 30 May 2006 17:08:54 -0700

HoustonTexans.com reports the Houston Texans have released LB Andre Torrey.

Texans | E. Harris released
Tue, 30 May 2006 17:08:09 -0700

HoustonTexans.com reports the Houston Texans have released DE Elliott Harris.

Texans | J. Davis released
Tue, 30 May 2006 17:07:34 -0700

HoustonTexans.com reports the Houston Texans have released DT Jason Davis.

Texans | Team signs D. Lewis
Tue, 30 May 2006 17:07:13 -0700

HoustonTexans.com reports the Houston Texans have signed street free agent WR Derrick Lewis. He currently plays in the Arena Football League
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #2
Capster67
Veteran

Default Shanahan Influence

I see Derrick Lewis had been with Tampa Bay for a while last year (Jan 14-Aug 30). Looks like Kyle Shanahan's influence was felt with this pick up.
Capster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #3
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's stats on Derrick Lewis with his stint in the AFL:

http://sports.yahoo.com/arena/news?s...v=st&type=stat

16 Games Played
112 catches for 1404 yds
12.5 yd per catch
23 TDs

Granted it's the AFL, but those are some nice stats. I wonder how it would calculate into the NFL.....if he gets any playing time.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #4
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Europe

I always feel for the Europe boys. The first day they get back

(All 3 played NFL Europe)

Yeah, yeah... if they have no chance then do it early... yeah, yeah

getting cut is still getting cut
Old 05-31-2006   #5
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice stats for Lewis in Arena Football. Anybody know his height, weight, and speed?

This is my 1st post. Please excuse any mistakes.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #6
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop
Nice stats for Lewis in Arena Football. Anybody know his height, weight, and speed?

This is my 1st post. Please excuse any mistakes.
6-2, 185

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #7
HOOK'EM
Veteran

.........so now we have 2 arena receivers. Who has better arena stats between him and Donavan Morgan?
HOOK'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-31-2006   #8
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

We lost a Defensive Tackle, Defensive End, and a Linebacker. No surprise there. We are overstocked on defense as it is, and our trades and draft picks show that these guys should be the first of many to see the door.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I've always felt we have been missing that slot receiver that runs fast routes, and will catch the ball while taking a hit. The Ernest Givins style slot receiver if you will.

I wonder/hope that Lewis' style catches on here because of his ability to catch passes in close/jammed situations. Arena football helps with the idea of knowing you are going to be hit.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #10
Chato
Rookie

There is a WR on the Katy Copperheads I could see as a project/practice squad guy. He's like 6'3 or so and reminds me of Wayne Chrebet or Ed McCaffrey. Looks like them (dark hair) and is a good posession receiver. He's tearing up the NIFL guys.
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #11
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Well I've always felt we have been missing that slot receiver that runs fast routes, and will catch the ball while taking a hit. The Ernest Givins style slot receiver if you will.

I wonder/hope that Lewis' style catches on here because of his ability to catch passes in close/jammed situations. Arena football helps with the idea of knowing you are going to be hit.
Does anyone see this guy beating out Kevin Walters, Derrick Armstrong or Mathis @ slot? I know more about Starling than Lewis. Mathis may project behind AJ or Moulds but Lewis seems a real long shot, but that's what competition is about.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Not saying that this guy will make the team but if he does he could be that type of receiver for us. I am just giving a comparison of what kind of receiver he is and that we've lacked that kind in seasons past.
Old 05-31-2006   #13
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Not saying that this guy will make the team but if he does he could be that type of receiver for us. I am just giving a comparison of what kind of receiver he is and that we've lacked that kind in seasons past.
With AJ, Moulds and Walters it kind of makes me scratch my head as to why we are looking at other receivers. My best guess is they are trying to make a decision on Mathis as the 4th. There have been a lot of hints that he's not working out as well as they expected. Despite his all pro status last year I think that Mathis is on the cutting edge.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #14
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Close to being cut?

I think they are just trying to light a fire under Mathis because they don't believe he is living up to his potential. But I do not think he is close to being cut. I don't remeber how many wr Kubes carried in Denver but it was probably 5 or 6. In which case he would need 1 or 2 more than the 4 locks to make the final roster, Johnson, Mould, Walters, and Mathias.
Old 05-31-2006   #15
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy
Does anyone see this guy beating out Kevin Walters, Derrick Armstrong or Mathis @ slot? I know more about Starling than Lewis. Mathis may project behind AJ or Moulds but Lewis seems a real long shot, but that's what competition is about.
Mathis? He's not that good at WR. Definitely behind Armstrong.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #16
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mathis is now out for ~4 months due to a foot fracture. Puts a new light on the 4th or 5th WR spot.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Kendrick Starling or Derrick Lewis.
Old 05-31-2006   #18
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Kendrick Starling or Derrick Lewis.
I'd add David Anderson in there too.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read