Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-30-2006   #1
HeartofHouston
Veteran

Default No Domanick Davis - Problem?? Or No Problem??

we all know about Kube's history of making RBs look like all-stars with his zone blocking system and his eye for the proper running back..

So if Domanick Davis is unable to recover from his injury and doesnt start Game 1, who do you think will/should take his place as #1 running back on the depth chart?
----

Wali Lundy (College)
Att Yrds YPC Long TDS
144 574 4.0 28 10

Damien Rhodes (College)
Att Yrds YPC Long TDS
219 900 4.1 54 7

Vernand Morency (College)
Att Yrds YPC Long TDS
258 1474 5.7 ??? 12

Antowain Smith (Most Productive NFL Season)
Att Yrds YPC Long TDS
287 1157 4.0 44 12

Chris Taylor (College)
Att Yrds YPC Long TDS
156 740 4.7 38 4

----
I know that stats can never gauge how a player will preform in the pros or even the next year of your pro career I just wanted to post those up for those who just felt like reading it..

But personally I would love to see Morency get a shot at the starting position.. Why?? Tatum Bell (who ran for Kube in Denver and played for OK St.) played extremely well for Kube and made a name for himself. Morency (who NOW runs for Kube and played for Ok St.) has the potential to be as good.. while he is not as fast as Bell he is a stronger runner.

But for some reason I keep thinking that Morency is not gonna get his shot and I dont remember if I read it from somewhere or what but that keeps running thru my head for some reason but i would love to see him get a shot.

Also Chris Taylor HB from indiana. 6'1 214 and runs a 4.4 I would love to see him get a look at. With his size and speed he has the "tools" to be one of the elites..
Old 05-30-2006   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know a lot about the other backs, but I think Morency will end up proving himself. If not the starter, then a solid no. 2. He had some nice potential last season, and I look forward to seeing if he can capitalize on it.
Old 05-30-2006   #3
trane
Rookie

[quote=HeartofHouston]we all know about Kube's history of making RBs look like all-stars with his zone blocking system and his eye for the proper running back..

So if Domanick Davis is unable to recover from his injury and doesnt start Game 1, who do you think will/should take his place as #1 running back on the depth chart?
----
I believe that if Domanick is not healthy, the starter will not be someone on this list. Michael Bennett is still a possibility. They expressed interest in Marcel Shipp from the Cardinals. Another guy that I feel they may go after is Thomas Jones from Chicago.
trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #4
FSUBulldog
Rookie

I seem to recall Kubiak being quoted as saying that VM needs to get with the "one cut and go up the field" philosophy of running if he is to be successful in this system. One would hope that this message will register with him earlier in camp than later if he wants to see the field on a consistent basis...
FSUBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Based on the four you mentioned I would say Antwain Smith because he is the veteran of the group. We need to start off right this year and Antwain Smith provides protection in the backfield.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #6
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Morency reminds me of Davis in so many ways. So far in camp, he's had to take most of the reps and I heard he's done well. I trust him as a starter when DD is hurt. After that, I would go with Lundy and then Rhodes.
Old 05-30-2006   #7
HeartofHouston
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trane
I believe that if Domanick is not healthy, the starter will not be someone on this list. Michael Bennett is still a possibility. They expressed interest in Marcel Shipp from the Cardinals. Another guy that I feel they may go after is Thomas Jones from Chicago.
Oh man i would love to see Thomas Jones in our backfield..

Thomas Jones
Att Yards YPC Long TDS
314 1335 4.3 42 9

He's got good speed and he's a real strong runner.. If we could get him our running game could be hard to top.. I was watching that guy even when he was at Virgina..
Old 05-30-2006   #8
Eagles78
Rookie

The Texans are playing the Eagles week 1. The Texans are going down whether he plays or not
Eagles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #9
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

If we sign Michael Bennett, they I figure he'll be the starter.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #10
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles78
The Texans are playing the Eagles week 1. The Texans are going down whether he plays or not

Not this year we are going to be eating bird for dinner.

Old 05-30-2006   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

There are sooo many reasons, why big time college backs don't make it...... not hitting the whole with enough speed......... dancing in the backfield... not following the blockers....... not hitting the right gap......

Or..... sometimes that college teams OL was a bigger part of that RBs success. Texas is a good example. Priest Holmes..... Ricky Williams.... Cedric Benson....... all very successfull at UT........ but in the Pros??

Cedric just wasn't ready to play..... but Rikky & Priest..... damn near flops...... They were both drafted by bad teams..... New Orleans & Baltimore.... those teams weren't as good as UT on the offensive line. Ricky & Priest both got hurt.... & couldn't produce when they were healthy.

They go to good teams........ and they're kicking butt....... well Ricky should be, but you know......

I know this is only what ifs...... but I'd like to see Morency get the start..... & I'd like to see Rhodes, or Lundy get the garbage time........ when we're leading the Eagles & the Colts by 20 points in the 4th qtr...
Old 05-31-2006   #12
wicked_wayz
all blacks

i'd go for vernand morency he got what it takes
Old 05-31-2006   #13
BeerFan
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to BeerFan

when ricky has run, ricky has run a lot.

his first season with the dolphins especially.

and if im not mistaken, priest holmes wasnt even drafted, but still ran for 1000 yards his rookie year. damn near flop, right?
Old 05-31-2006   #14
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerFan
when ricky has run, ricky has run a lot.

his first season with the dolphins especially.

and if im not mistaken, priest holmes wasnt even drafted, but still ran for 1000 yards his rookie year. damn near flop, right?
yeah i totally agree no way can ricky and priest is a flop. thats crazy talk thats like saying DD is a flop. i wouldn't say the ravens are a bad team look at the year where jamal got 2000 yards.

and as for cedric he didn't have much of a chance as thomas was carrying all the load, so watch out for him this year cause im sure he'll get most of the carries and show his true skills
Old 05-31-2006   #15
HOOK'EM
Veteran

...............good call thunderkyss.
HOOK'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_wayz
yeah i totally agree no way can ricky and priest is a flop. thats crazy talk thats like saying DD is a flop. i wouldn't say the ravens are a bad team look at the year where jamal got 2000 yards.

and as for cedric he didn't have much of a chance as thomas was carrying all the load, so watch out for him this year cause im sure he'll get most of the carries and show his true skills
Go look at my Favorite Running back thread..... I named Ricky Williams.......

I started watching the Saints because of him. But his first two years......... Looking at the stats, it's not too bad, but watching the games..... I don't see how he avg'd 4.0 ypc........ it didn't look like that much. then though he never got hurt in College, he missed 4 games his rookie season, and 6 games the next.......... Considering what N.O. gave up to get him, they weren't very happy. They drafted duece after Ricky's second year..... got a great third season out of him, then off he went to Miami..... it's been all good then...... people in Nawlins pissed because of that(even though they had Duece........ Ricky got 1800 in Miami).... after the drug stuff, and the taking the year off....... they're all happy again.......

but by definition........ if you ain't playing for the team that drafted you 4 years later, you're a bust.

Priest......... I forgot he wasn't drafted. but he only played 7 games as a rookie..... well he was eligible(healthy and on the Roster) didn't see any playing time. his second year, he went for 1000 while missing 3 games...... then missed 7 games the next year, then played behind Jamal Lewis the next....... gone to KC.It wasn't until his 5th season in the league, till he really produced.......

Don't get me wrong..... I like both guys. But early in their careers......... people felt about them the way many of the Reggie Jock biters feel about DD now.
Old 05-31-2006   #17
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Go look at my Favorite Running back thread..... I named Ricky Williams.......

I started watching the Saints because of him. But his first two years......... Looking at the stats, it's not too bad, but watching the games..... I don't see how he avg'd 4.0 ypc........ it didn't look like that much. then though he never got hurt in College, he missed 4 games his rookie season, and 6 games the next.......... Considering what N.O. gave up to get him, they weren't very happy. They drafted duece after Ricky's second year..... got a great third season out of him, then off he went to Miami..... it's been all good then...... people in Nawlins pissed because of that(even though they had Duece........ Ricky got 1800 in Miami).... after the drug stuff, and the taking the year off....... they're all happy again.......

but by definition........ if you ain't playing for the team that drafted you 4 years later, you're a bust.

Priest......... I forgot he wasn't drafted. but he only played 7 games as a rookie..... well he was eligible(healthy and on the Roster) didn't see any playing time. his second year, he went for 1000 while missing 3 games...... then missed 7 games the next year, then played behind Jamal Lewis the next....... gone to KC.It wasn't until his 5th season in the league, till he really produced.......

Don't get me wrong..... I like both guys. But early in their careers......... people felt about them the way many of the Reggie Jock biters feel about DD now.
I really need to find this book of definitions because I'd like some clarification on this bust rule. I thought bust meant not living up to reasonable expectations. By trading away an entire draft, Williams was set up for unreasonable expectations. Priest was undrafted, so anything he gets is gravy. And your four year rule. How does it work with Clinton Portis. He was drafted and traded after 2 years. Does that mean he's a bust as well? Some things aren't as black and white as you may think, there's a lot more gray area.
Old 05-31-2006   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

If another back takes DD's spot, early in the season because DD might still be easing back into playing form, then there is a potential controversy that will brew if the "other back" (Morency, or whomever) does very well.

And there's a very real chance of this happening because of how the zone blocking scheme has created superstar RBs out of RBs who would be average (at best) in other teams' offenses.

That's the big thing to watch. When you run a zone blocking scheme and your main guy goes down, and the backup comes in and does a great job (Larry Johnson in K.C., for example) it can pose a problem for a guy like DD.

At the very least, I think DD would have to relegate himself to second-string status behind Morency or whomever (assuming Morency does very well in DD's absence). At the very worst, he spends most of the time on the bench and then he becomes trade fodder. With the production of other RBs in Kubiak's scheme, a guy like DD is still needed...but he becomes even more valuable as trade bait to help us upgrade a spot, such as CB or S.

I've always been a "go with the guy who has the hot streak." I don't buy into the idea that a starter gets his spot back after coming back from major injury. If we waited so long for an injured guy to recover, then we can wait a little bit longer if a replacement is getting the job done. Store DD away for a rainy day, if you ask me. Knees are easily re-injured. I'd hate to see the Texans staff rush DD back into playing for whatever reason.

Don't get me wrong (because I KNOW someof you will)...I am a h-u-g-e DD fan. He's actually my favorite player on our team. But I think it's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out for him. I just think our emphasis on the zone blocking scheme creates a sort of "equal oportunity employer" situation where the gap closes between all the RBs on our roster.
Old 05-31-2006   #19
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

While he is recovering, I hope someone is working with him on how to pick up a blitz and how to block.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #20
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Cedric just wasn't ready to play..... but Rikky & Priest..... damn near flops...... They were both drafted by bad teams..... New Orleans & Baltimore.... those teams weren't as good as UT on the offensive line. Ricky & Priest both got hurt.... & couldn't produce when they were healthy.
Priest was an undrafted FA.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read