Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-30-2006   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default KFFL: K. Wong could be a June 1 cut

Texans | K. Wong could be a June 1 cut; injury may not permit it
Tue, 30 May 2006 10:26:51 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports Houston Texans LB Kailee Wong could become a June 1 cut. Houston signed Wong to a four-year contract extension last summer and his total deal was worth $17.65 million. Wong did suffer a season-ending patella tendon injury after just five games in 2005, and, for grievance reasons, the Texans might have to wait until he is fully rehabilitated if they choose to release him.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well that sucks. I mean now we can't let this guy go. CASSERLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Does not surprise me at all. Unfortunately nice, loyal, experienced guys do get released when you add into the equation injuries, cap, competition and new staff putting together a new team that they can coach for one full off season.
Old 05-30-2006   #4
wrestler4life
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Well that sucks. I mean now we can't let this guy go. CASSERLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????
Wong was good for us... dont be mad at casserly
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember after getting him from the Vikings, they said he was a potential Pro-Bowler. So much for that prediction.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #6
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

How much would he cost to cut? With a contract that big it's gotta be a hefty fee.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #7
HeartofHouston
Veteran

I hate to say it but I'm not dissapointed or happy about this move.. mix feelings is more along the line of what I'm aiming at here..

If we do Cut Wong it will help with the salary cap down the line if we dont have to feed him all that money. (Waiting For June 1st is the best move here).. As that frees up money for us to pull in bigger FAs later down the line in a year or 2.

However.. He is a Veteran one of the original Houston Texans, he's a great guy and could teach all this young talent a thing or 2 on the field. Ryans and Mario could really learn from him..

I'm leaning more towards keep Wong.. if he returns to form.. he could be a pro-bowler..
Old 05-30-2006   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofHouston
I hate to say it but I'm not dissapointed or happy about this move.. mix feelings is more along the line of what I'm aiming at here..

If we do Cut Wong it will help with the salary cap down the line if we dont have to feed him all that money. (Waiting For June 1st is the best move here).. As that frees up money for us to pull in bigger FAs later down the line in a year or 2.

However.. He is a Veteran one of the original Houston Texans, he's a great guy and could teach all this young talent a thing or 2 on the field. Ryans and Mario could really learn from him..

I'm leaning more towards keep Wong.. if he returns to form.. he could be a pro-bowler..
It's likely he'll never play near the level he played at prior to his injury, and its even possible he may not play again. He will not have much of an impact on Mario, seeing as they play different positions.
Old 05-30-2006   #9
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
It's likely he'll never play near the level he played at prior to his injury, and its even possible he may not play again. He will not have much of an impact on Mario, seeing as they play different positions.
Maybe this could be the reason for drafting DeMeco. Our LB's could be DeMeco, Orr, and Greenwood this season if Wong has any problems with that knee or if he is released.

Last edited by texan279; 05-30-2006 at 10:59 PM.
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
MAybe this could be the reason for drafting DeMeco. Our LB's could be DeMeco, Orr, and Greenwood this season if Wong has any problems with that knee or if he is released.
True, but none of those guys mentioned are MLB's. Cowart will probally start at MLB, flanked by Greenwood and Ryans. Orr will be the back up.
Old 05-30-2006   #11
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
True, but none of those guys mentioned are MLB's. Cowart will probally start at MLB, flanked by Greenwood and Ryans. Orr will be the back up.
You're right I didn't think about that.
Old 05-31-2006   #12
cincyTEXAN
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan80
there goes 17.65 Million down the drain
its the nfl , i doubt much if any is guaranteed.might take a cap penalty of a million, probably less
Old 05-31-2006   #13
wicked_wayz
all blacks

i hate to see him go, hes a great guy but he takes up too much space

its going to be dymeco, cowart, and orr/greenwood
Old 05-31-2006   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_wayz
i hate to see him go, hes a great guy but he takes up too much space

its going to be dymeco, cowart, and orr/greenwood
I agree. I think Greenwood will start mainly due to his contract, but he should do better in a system he's used to which is the 4-3.

Also, if not for the lack of depth, I wouldn't be surprised to see Greenwood be a June 1st casuality.
Old 05-31-2006   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyTEXAN
its the nfl , i doubt much if any is guaranteed.might take a cap penalty of a million, probably less
The cap hit should be more than pocket change. There is absolutely no way we pro-rated his contract until the last 2 years.
Old 05-31-2006   #16
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Wong has a good head on him and a great sense of the game (my impression through interviews). I would rather we not drop him; I think he can still add something to the team by way of veteran leadership, the loss of which caused the Houston D to be so pathetic last year. However, sometimes, those injuries are not something you can overcome. I don't want another Joppru waiting for years on end to get better, especially at Kailee's paygrade.

Speaking of Joppru - I see by the Bullpen pics that he is on the practice field. I"m really happy to see that and hope he can give the Texans some return on the dollar. This could be a good year for him.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There is absolutely no way we pro-rated his contract until the last 2 years.
There is no way they did not. They paid him a signing bonus rather than a roster bonus. As such it is pro-rated over the term of the contract, i.e. thru 2009. His pro-rated signing bonus for each season is $1.171 mil. Cut him as a June 1st cut and you will save $2 mil on this year's cap (with $1.171 of dead money this year) at the expense of $3.5 mil next year.

Folks are way too fascinated with June 1st cuts. They should only be a mechanism of desparation and sparse use (most teams have recognized this which is why this last few years commentators have mentioned not to expect much in the way of June 1st cuts). Combine the June 1st cuts folks have advocated around here--Payne, Walker, Wade, Wong, Babin, Bruener, etc. and you have around $20 mil of dead cap space next year. Not a good plan.
Old 05-31-2006   #18
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
Wong has a good head on him and a great sense of the game (my impression through interviews). I would rather we not drop him; I think he can still add something to the team by way of veteran leadership, the loss of which caused the Houston D to be so pathetic last year. However, sometimes, those injuries are not something you can overcome. I don't want another Joppru waiting for years on end to get better, especially at Kailee's paygrade.
Veteran leadership? Hmmm.

With today's salary cap NFL, you'd better bring more to the table than 'veteran leadership' . . . like being able to make plays, or not being on the decline talent-wise to go with that back loaded salary. Just ask Jamie Sharper and Aaron Glenn. They had 'veteran leadership', but as you can tell from their on-field production on the teams they went to . . . that's all they had.

It simply isn't enough.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #19
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Veteran leadership? Hmmm.

With today's salary cap NFL, you'd better bring more to the table than 'veteran leadership' . . . like being able to make plays, or not being on the decline talent-wise to go with that back loaded salary. Just ask Jamie Sharper and Aaron Glenn. They had 'veteran leadership', but as you can tell from their on-field production on the teams they went to . . . that's all they had.

It simply isn't enough.
For the Texans D, it has been enough. The dearth in the Texans defense that both those players left had a lasting effect on the Texans. To some extent, it could have cost Capers his job, IMO. The Texans defense buckled under pressure during the later games last year (Rams, Titans, 49ers, Ravens). Those were the times when the Sharpers and Glenns could have come in handy. A young team did what it should have done, which is buckled.

This year the Texans will be much more capable on the defense because Houston has added veterans like Weaver and Cowhart. I don't know that it will be enough, though.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #20
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

AT MOST you will see one more guy cut with a large cap figure after June 1.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read