Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-29-2006   #1
baba ganoush
Veteran

Default Aaron Glenn

Do you think it was a good choice to release Aaron Glenn last year??? I mean look who we have in place of him Phillip Buchanon...just think if we would have just stayed with Glenn our defense would have been alot better...think Aaron Glenn, Dunta Robinson, Phillip Buchanon, Demarcus Faggins and Chris McKenzie...the dominance of Glenn aloud Dunta to get more oppurtunities and he took advantage of them...even if they wanted Buchanon to start the could have moved Glenn to Saftey or something...so what do you think about the Texans desicion a few years back on not keeping Glenn???
Rule #7 - play like a champion!!!
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #2
carter08
truth.

Rep Power: 70 carter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to carter08

Aaron Glenn could have moved to safety. Better than CC Brown
carter08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #3
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 95054 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter08
Aaron Glenn could have moved to safety. Better than CC Brown
Just like that fabulous Marcus Coleman decision??

Marcus Coleman was known as the more physical of the two I am fairly sure, so how is putting Glen back there supposed to be an upgrade.

Add to that putting an old man back there to slowly rot away or give a young talent game time to grow and I think that your idea is crazy.

Was it wrong to release Aaron Glenn though??? Yes. I think CB is one of the most important positions in football and you don't let a good one get away.
Old 05-29-2006   #4
Rightnow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan
Just like that fabulous Marcus Coleman decision??

Marcus Coleman was known as the more physical of the two I am fairly sure, so how is putting Glen back there supposed to be an upgrade.

Add to that putting an old man back there to slowly rot away or give a young talent game time to grow and I think that your idea is crazy.

Was it wrong to release Aaron Glenn though??? Yes. I think CB is one of the most important positions in football and you don't let a good one get away.
Aaron Glenn had groin surgery that required putting in a mesh. He has never been the same since. In Dallas he was a nickle corner, probably a very good one, but just a nickle. He doesn't have the necessary speed anymore.

A rumor went around a couple of years ago that Glenn had called the NFL about some practices that violated some rules. Just a rumor, but if it is true it probably hastened his departure.
Old 05-30-2006   #5
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba ganoush
Do you think it was a good choice to release Aaron Glenn last year??? I mean look who we have in place of him Phillip Buchanon...just think if we would have just stayed with Glenn our defense would have been alot better...think Aaron Glenn, Dunta Robinson, Phillip Buchanon, Demarcus Faggins and Chris McKenzie...the dominance of Glenn aloud Dunta to get more oppurtunities and he took advantage of them...even if they wanted Buchanon to start the could have moved Glenn to Saftey or something...so what do you think about the Texans desicion a few years back on not keeping Glenn???
glenn was a great CB but i don't think that he would be as effective at safety. i believe capers released him cause he wanted a more younger and faster secondary e.g. p-buc i thought it was a great idea at the time but i thought wrong cause look how p-buc turned out.... but i still got faith in him hopefully mario will make him better
Old 05-30-2006   #6
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Aaron Glenn WAS a great CB but he was a show-boater, he thought he was so fast he could recover from cheating at any time. which when he was younger he got away with. but by the time we got him he was already down a step or 3, and we found out he couldn't make up lost ground as well as he thought he could and he let a lot of balls go over his head. then the groin injury and end of story.
Old 05-30-2006   #7
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

personally i thought it was a bad idea to let AG go, he had a good season before we released him, sure he was getting up there in age, but him and D-Rob made a good secondary. And his age didnt affect him that much, he still could shut down recievers.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-30-2006   #8
touttail
All Pro

Hopefully some kind of a pass rush will take some heat off of our Defensive Backs!

Bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 39800 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
personally i thought it was a bad idea to let AG go, he had a good season before we released him, sure he was getting up there in age, but him and D-Rob made a good secondary. And his age didnt affect him that much, he still could shut down recievers.
OK, everyone is gone now. Here is the story I heard at the time, fwiw.

It wasn't just about age and ability. He was the teams's rep to the players association. From that position he questioned the coaching staff on the intensity of pre-trainng camp practices that violated the collective bargaining agreement. Other teams in the league have gotten penalized for such violations, so they do happen. It is apparent that any sort of "speaking up" was frowned upon by the previous regime, and that weighed heavily into the keep/cut decision.
Old 05-30-2006   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Man the more things happen with this team the more I realize just how bad Capers and Co. were bad for our team.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #11
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I think P-buc has a better support system this year, so I suspect he will fair better under Smith.

Getting rid of Glenn and Sharper in one season was a bad move. It made the defense young and amputated its leadership, which is why our defense was so resoundingly awful last year. However, Glenn is prospering under Parcells and should continue to excel in his program.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightnow
Aaron Glenn had groin surgery that required putting in a mesh. He has never been the same since. In Dallas he was a nickle corner, probably a very good one, but just a nickle. He doesn't have the necessary speed anymore.
UH..... No he wasn't.......

well he was...... but he wasn't.... He started 7 games for the 'boys. & they were glad to have him. He played very well for them. Even as a Nickle corner, he'd add pretty good depth to our squad.......

I don't have a problem with Buchanon yet...... but even if you hate him, who would you start in his place??
Old 05-30-2006   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Glenn had six interceptions last year with Dallas right?
Old 05-30-2006   #14
SESupergenius

Glenn had great reflexes and was a very good corner, he was better than Dunta, and possibly at this point probably still is. Sure Glenn gambled some, but that is the nature of the 3-4, corners are allowed to play agressive and they rely on the safeties to pick that up. This is something that we have never had really, a good safety play.
Old 05-30-2006   #15
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Glenn had six interceptions last year with Dallas right?
He had 4 actually.
Old 05-30-2006   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Isn't that more than Dunta and PBuch?
Old 05-30-2006   #17
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Man the more things happen with this team the more I realize just how bad Capers and Co. were bad for our team.
Why is it that when Capers and Co. are intense about training camp, everybody talks about how bad they were but when Kubiak talks about the same thing, everybody kisses his feet?
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #18
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Isn't that more than Dunta and PBuch?
Yes. Combined.
Old 05-30-2006   #19
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
OK, everyone is gone now. Here is the story I heard at the time, fwiw.

It wasn't just about age and ability. He was the teams's rep to the players association. From that position he questioned the coaching staff on the intensity of pre-trainng camp practices that violated the collective bargaining agreement. Other teams in the league have gotten penalized for such violations, so they do happen. It is apparent that any sort of "speaking up" was frowned upon by the previous regime, and that weighed heavily into the keep/cut decision.
Interesting. I wonder if other players ran into similar conflicts with the previous coaching staff. I have also wondered how much had to be done to irk Capers and Co. Wand was sidelined inexplicably the entire year. I'm not trying to lay him out as some kind of whistleblower, btw - just throwing out ideas.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #20
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Never heard of that particular conflict with the coaching staff but wouldn't surprise me. It was a badly kept secret that Sharper was run out of town for questioning the coaching staff.

Cutting Glenn was absolutely a mistake. He was a defensive leader, a very smart veteran, seemed to command the respect of the other players, and even as old as he was, he still had a good 2-3 years of good football left in him. A move to FS would not have been out of the question. Don't know if any of you caught it, but they replayed a bite from an interview several years back, in which some of the league's then-top WRs (including T.O.) were asked who was the toughest corner they had ever faced. Glenn's name came up a lot. Even if we had chosen to reduce his playing time in accordance with his diminishing athleticism, he still would have been a valuable tutor and asset, and D-Rob always spoke very highly of him as a mentor.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read