Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Will The Texans Make a run for the Playoffs this Season???
Yes 41 45.05%
No 50 54.95%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2006   #1
johnny_tlmn

Post Here's my philosophy

I truely think with the additions added in the offseason that we will make a run for the playoffs, I think Gary Kubiak can help David carr get back on track and save this franchise. They have high expectations from me. I think that because we added Eric Moulds it could open up our best WR Andre Johnson. I look to see a good passing game, And with the pick up of Mario Williams an even better defense .
Old 05-29-2006   #2
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

• The Texans have a rookie head coach.
  • The Texans have a rookie offensive coordinator.
  • The Texans are installing a new offense.
  • The Texans are installing a new defense.
  • Both systems are much different than the Texans previous systems.
  • The Texans have had a huge turnover of players.
  • The Texans schedule is tough, especially the beginning.

These are all huge reasons we WON'T be making a playoff run this season. Sure we could if everything falls just right. I just feel it would take too many things to get into the playoffs or even be in the hunt late in the season.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we do get to the playoffs this season. I won't be holding my breath though.
Old 05-29-2006   #3
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

You forgot 6 of 8 on the road in the middle of the season or whatever it is....

7-9 would be a banner year all things considered.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

voted no, but I would love for the Texans to prove otherwise

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #5
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Agree with some of the other posters. Our season schedule is brutal and we are incorporating new schemes on both sides of the ball. Even with all the new free agents, our team is rather youngish.

Even if you like the talent we have, it has been my experience that inferior talent that is used to a system and playing together usually will beat good talent.

It would be a stunning coaching job if they were able to accomplish a playoff run in year 1 of a new system. Even a lot of established successful coaches have been unable to do that coming to a new team.

Ya just gotta stay chill. Your highs not too high and your lows not too low.
Old 05-29-2006   #6
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_tlmn
I truely think with the additions added in the offseason that we will make a run for the playoffs, I think Gary Kubiak can help David carr get back on track and save this franchise. They have high expectations from me. I think that because we added Eric Moulds it could open up our best WR Andre Johnson. I look to see a good passing game, And with the pick up of Mario Williams an even better defense .
This team has a long way to go before even thinking about the playoffs. The present regime has already made some personnel mistakes as exemplified in the mystifying waiving of Dave Ragone. Carr was never the problem with this team as shown in 2004, so there really is nothing to get back on track except the OL. Moulds isn't that much of an addition since his #s are steadily going downward as his age increases. Besides, if Carr again can't get the ball away, then it won't matter who is running routes, be it Moulds or Gaffney or Marvin Harrison.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #7
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

No.
Old 05-29-2006   #8
carter08
truth.

Rep Power: 70 carter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to carter08

2007 I think we make the playoffs, but not this year
carter08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #9
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I sincerely hope I'm proved wrong - but I voted no.

While I, personally, not only believe in miracles but rely upon them with great regularity - I think a playoff spot this year would require direct divine intervention from all of the football gods.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

My expectations are 5-6 wins. Anything else would be gravy. As much as I want to be in the playoffs I woud rather enjoy the upside of being incorrect than go through the disappoinment of a repeat of last year.

2007 is the year in my opinion.
Old 05-29-2006   #11
Waltman
Rookie

Unless the Texans play with that killer instinct to destroy a team rather than try to keep from losing, we will have a lot of games where we are close but no cigar. We have the talent now it's up the coaching staff to instill the lion heart and belief into the team. Passion and belief in each other and in what they are trying to do. So can the Texans make the playoffs, yes. Will they, only time will tell.

Last edited by Waltman; 05-29-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Waltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #12
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not yet, I think we will turn things around and be real close to 500, being in the 7-9, 8-8 range. But the good news is to me is that Kubiak is building this team for the long haul and I think starting in 2007 we will be a force to be reckoned with for a long time.
We will improve, just not quite that fast, from 2-14 to playoffs (which is probably 10-6 or 11-5 in the AFC). I will savor the flavor of every victory this year though.
Old 05-29-2006   #13
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 171958 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully things start clicking around mid-season to make our push for next seasons playoffs. Wouldn't be mad if we overachieved this year though, but then again expectations would be astronomical the following year. So my answer is no, not this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #14
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Last year the Texans lost 6 games b y 7 or less points. This means they had a chance to win all 6 of those games. Bad teams will lose all 6, decent teams will will about half, and good teams will win em. So, as a decent team, I expect the Texans to win 3/6 add it to the 2 we won and add 1, so i am thinking 6 wins. That is not playoff challenging but its a solid step forward.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #15
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 428 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor
  • The Texans have a rookie head coach.
  • The Texans have a rookie offensive coordinator.
  • The Texans are installing a new offense.
  • The Texans are installing a new defense.
  • Both systems are much different than the Texans previous systems.
  • The Texans have had a huge turnover of players.
  • The Texans schedule is tough, especially the beginning.

These are all huge reasons we WON'T be making a playoff run this season. Sure we could if everything falls just right. I just feel it would take too many things to get into the playoffs or even be in the hunt late in the season.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we do get to the playoffs this season. I won't be holding my breath though.
For all those reasons I say they will.
Especially this one, is a big reason why we will.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #16
mapleleaf
Veteran

Maybe not, maybe we will. But most likely we won't. We most likely might make a .500 season (8-8). The year I think the Texans might make the playoffs is..........2014.
Old 05-29-2006   #17
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the Texans will make the playoffs, but I voted yes. I believe that up until the last two weeks or so of the season, the Texans will be in the playoff picture. We'll be one of those teams that needs the 2 or 3 teams ahead of them to all lose that last game in order for us to be in, which would naturally make us a long shot. But I believe we'll still have a chance in December.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #18
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6673 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Voted yes just because I'm an optimist. If we get help from Indy by losing a few, and we win the close ones.......anything is possible.
Old 05-30-2006   #19
HOOK'EM
Veteran

Default Welcome to the "Carr Show".

I voted Yes, But Im with TexanSam we should be in it through December.I think we will hit the 9-7 mark this year, just missing a wildcard. Playoff hunt for sure in 07'.
HOOK'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #20
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Worked for Atlanta, no?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read