Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-28-2006   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Reggie's hometown paper reporting his agent fumbled #1 Deal with Texans !

"Houston reportedly was willing to give Bush a 10 percent bump in guaranteed money over what 2005 top pick Alex Smith received, but Segal is said to have wanted double that. The Texans eventually tired of the demand and decided to open negotiations with North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams, with whom they came to terms on the eve of the draft. "
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...28trotter.html
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006   #2
baba ganoush
Veteran

to have one of the best college athletes to ever play the game i would have gone with bush in a heartbeat...does this mean that the texans are cheap??? Williams was a great college athlete but i think all it was, was hype!!! He never saw top notch competion and still got blocked...to me there is something wrong with that...reggie always put up big numbers in every game he played...
Rule #7 - play like a champion!!!
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba ganoush
to have one of the best college athletes to ever play the game i would have gone with bush in a heartbeat...does this mean that the texans are cheap??? Williams was a great college athlete but i think all it was, was hype!!! He never saw top notch competion and still got blocked...to me there is something wrong with that...reggie always put up big numbers in every game he played...
Bush had 2 games last season with over 200 yards rushing, 2 games with more than 150, 4 games with over 100 yards rushing, and 5 games with less than 100 yards rushing.
Old 05-28-2006   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba ganoush
The ACC had the most picks ever in a first round from one conference. Please define top notch competition as I thought the NFL was the nop notch league and they seem to have a different take on how good the ACC was.
Old 05-28-2006   #5
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

After reading that article I can't really say Bush is that bad a person. Everyone is calling him greedy and a possible hold out, but in reality his agent is the one putting him in that position. Looking back on it the way Segal dealt with the Texans it did seem that he had no intention whatsoever of signing before the draft. I think that Segal is the one that really screwed the chance of Bush coming here. If he's trying to negotiate a deal that exceeds Mario's guaranteed money then he's also messing things up in NO. I don't really know what to say except that Seagal is messing up. Not only negotiations for his client but being in such a prominent position right now he might be messing things up for his future as well. Who knows.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
After reading that article I can't really say Bush is that bad a person. Everyone is calling him greedy and a possible hold out, but in reality his agent is the one putting him in that position. Looking back on it the way Segal dealt with the Texans it did seem that he had no intention whatsoever of signing before the draft. I think that Segal is the one that really screwed the chance of Bush coming here. If he's trying to negotiate a deal that exceeds Mario's guaranteed money then he's also messing things up in NO. I don't really know what to say except that Seagal is messing up. Not only negotiations for his client but being in such a prominent position right now he might be messing things up for his future as well. Who knows.
I will have to vehemently disagree with that notion. Segal is paid to provide a service as he is Bush's employee. To even suggest that a number was not agreed upon by agent and client to start the negotiations is absurd. You do not sign a player of Bush's caliber by not representing the client's best interest which includes their buy in on negotiations.
Old 05-28-2006   #7
Dime
Hall of Fame

what you all fail to understand is that Bush and crew did not believe the texans would pass on him. He felt they would get the deal done no matter what. They thought they held all the cards and even berated the texans for even speaking about williams because they had thought it was a tactic to drop Bushs price. I heard several times they were saying that.
Old 05-28-2006   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Even though I wanted us to draft Bush and not VY, I would quickly add that
the Texas QB was the best player in college last year if you include the Rose
Bowl game. And Reggie to a significant extent was a creation of the LA entertainment industry which was also his home. They turned that game
he had against the lower echelon Fresno State crew into a promo for the
Heisman.
But the only game I saw Bush play in was the championship game against the Longhorns. So I'm almost as interested in seeing how he does against NFL defenses as I am in seeing how Mario does against NFL offenses.
But about Bush's agent, he seemed to forget that Bush wasn't a QB. The
premium for Bush, who as a running back didn't play at a premium position,
was him having the opportunity to be seriously considered and even be the favored #1 overall. But the way reports like this are coming out about Bush's
agent, you would have thought he thought he was representing the second coming of Stanfords Elway.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006   #9
Chato
Rookie

I think that it is true that Bush and his agent were quickly becoming a PITA and he wasn't even picked yet. What was gonna be next? Begging to wear #5? Or wanting a number someone else already has?

And how many times a day do you wanna be asked...

"Do you think now is a good time for Reggie to return the Heisman to Vince.....Mr McNair?....Coach K?.....McKinney?"

"How do you feel about Reggie winning championships while he was accepting favors in clear violation of NCAA rules...Daivd?.....Andre?......anyone?''

Let him be NO's problem. I am very happy that NO didn't take Vince. That would have sucked for him.

As for cheap...no! Mr. McNair is a chronic overpayer.
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101824 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

This is just one source from a hometown piece to trash Reggie's agent. If this is true, (which we'll never know) It doesn't mean this is the reason why we passed up Reggie. We could of had Reggie and Mario rated equally on our boards and being able to sign Mario before the draft and at a cheaper price was just more reason to take him.

Its kinda like looking to buy a car, you love two of them, but one comes with a longer extended warranty, so you go with that one, its just icing on the cake.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 05-28-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006   #11
Specter
Rookie

I think that Reggie was the best player in college football last year and if you want to say that you weren't shocked that the Texans took Mario then you are fooling yourselves. You can say what you want about the LA Media (and you're probably right) but to say that Reggie's talent doesn't translate to the pros is foolish. They didn't call it the "Bush Bowl" for nothing, and no matter what people may say now, there was a good number of us that were rooting against the Texans those final weeks in the hope that we would land the big prize and improve our team immensely in the coming years. We had the chance to take him but we didn't. Let's hope that we made the right choice because in the end, I just want to see us win.
Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter
I think that Reggie was the best player in college football last year and if you want to say that you weren't shocked that the Texans took Mario then you are fooling yourselves. You can say what you want about the LA Media (and you're probably right) but to say that Reggie's talent doesn't translate to the pros is foolish. They didn't call it the "Bush Bowl" for nothing, and no matter what people may say now, there was a good number of us that were rooting against the Texans those final weeks in the hope that we would land the big prize and improve our team immensely in the coming years. We had the chance to take him but we didn't. Let's hope that we made the right choice because in the end, I just want to see us win.
The fools are those that wanted the Texans to lose in order to draft a player we do not need.
Old 05-28-2006   #13
Specter
Rookie

Then the majority of Houston is constructed of fools. I only spoke the truth. Like I said, they didn't call our meeting with San Francisco the Bush Bowl for nothing. I didn't say we made the wrong choice or that Mario isnt going to cut it, I say that Bush seemed the be the best player for a loooooooooooooong time and if you can sit here and say that you never dreamed up scenerios of him cutting across the middle while AJ went deep then I think you're not being totally honest.
Old 05-28-2006   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Then the majority of Houston is constructed of fools. I only spoke the truth.
Hardly. VY was the pick for most Houstonians.
Old 05-28-2006   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

problem I have with Bush is if he is superman ..why weren't teams fighting to move up to get him?

media generated all this.. Yes what he did against Fresno was impressive and even the 200+total yards against UT was impressive also, but I am not buying into the next gayle sayers,barry sanders ..etc..etc all rolled into one
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006   #16
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101824 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was one of those people that was rooting for the Texans to win the bush bowl (or lose, whichever way you look at it). It hurts me to even say that and I never want to be in that position again. I was also upset when we passed on him, but since I stopped thinking with my emotions and started thinking logical, I have absolutely no problem with the pick and think we made the right choice.

You don't pay that kind of money to a RB, it just isn't smart, especially when your installing a system that uses multiple backs and a system that allows multiple backs to have great success. There is a reason why nobody would even offer up a 2nd round pick for Edge or Alexander, which was the asking price before last seasons draft. There is a reason why Indy let Edge go and used the saved money on Freeney and opted to draft his replacement. Good backs can be found later in the draft, franchise DEs can't

Now when you look at the division we play in (The Colts), even if we draft RB, do you honestly think we are going to outscore them.....no. The reason why I know that is because NOBODY went offense to offense and outscored them last year. Nobody has gotten into a shootout and really outscored them the past 2 to 3 seasons. The Bengals tried to run with them and failed and the Bengals had a great offense and a better defense than what we had last year.

The only teams that beat the Colts last year were teams that could pressure Peyton Manning and hold the Colts under 20 points, they won with defense.

I think the decision to take Mario is bigger than the Houston Texans and goes back to the days of Manning straight thumping the Broncos, for two straight years Kubiak watched Manning embarrass his teams defense and kick them out of the playoffs. The Broncos started building their team directly to beat the Colts, which is why they shook up their entire Dline

Don't think that he doesn't remember those playoff losses, I'm pretty sure when he got here, his Agenda went something like this.

#1 fix the offensive line, protect the QB
#2 build the defensive front 7, stop the Colts.

We have to stop the Colts if we're ever going to have any kind of success in this division, if we don't we're just going to be sitting around waiting for Manning to retire, Thats the reason why we took Mario and not Reggie.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 05-28-2006 at 01:58 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006   #17
Specter
Rookie

i see what you are saying and i think that Mario will definitely help us. Like I said in my previous post, the LA Media definitely made Bushs star grow but you cant deny that he has NFL talent. My only problem with the pick is that nobody was mentioning Mario as the top pick until after his amazing combine and right b4 the actual draft. That is what made a lot of people skeptical about the whole deal including me. Unless you were an insider with the team, there was no way you say this coming a month out of the draft.

As for the Austin boy up there, yeah its true that the majority of Houston wanted Vince....AFTER the Rose Bowl because at the very end of last season I didnt hear people clamoring for him. Im not putting him down or saying that he wouldnt cut it but its true. Like i said, it wasnt called the "Bush Bowl" for nothing, the majority of the nation believed that Reggie was the best player available and thats why everybody thought they were going to draft him and they possibly would have if (like the article says, and alot of people believe) his agent wouldnt have had those incredible contract demands. Most people believed they would take Reggie, Vince, or trade down for more picks. NOBODY thought that they would take Mario. That came straight out of left field.

As for nobody trying to move up for him, I think nobody wanted to pay him QB money, thats one of the curses of having the top pick, you a lot of times wildly overpay that player. At the same time, I hate what McNair does by wanting to sign the player b4 the draft. I think we should have waited and seen if anyone got crazy and tried to move up but I guess we will never know now.

I hope that we are never in the top spot again and if we are maybe we can at least let the suspense go on and let people at least consider whether or not to trade up to get the pick from us. Thats just smart business.
Old 05-28-2006   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
i see what you are saying and i think that Mario will definitely help us. Like I said in my previous post, the LA Media definitely made Bushs star grow but you cant deny that he has NFL talent. My only problem with the pick is that nobody was mentioning Mario as the top pick until after his amazing combine and right b4 the actual draft. That is what made a lot of people skeptical about the whole deal including me. Unless you were an insider with the team, there was no way you say this coming a month out of the draft.

As for the Austin boy up there, yeah its true that the majority of Houston wanted Vince....AFTER the Rose Bowl because at the very end of last season I didnt hear people clamoring for him. Im not putting him down or saying that he wouldnt cut it but its true. Like i said, it wasnt called the "Bush Bowl" for nothing, the majority of the nation believed that Reggie was the best player available and thats why everybody thought they were going to draft him and they possibly would have if (like the article says, and alot of people believe) his agent wouldnt have had those incredible contract demands. Most people believed they would take Reggie, Vince, or trade down for more picks. NOBODY thought that they would take Mario. That came straight out of left field.

As for nobody trying to move up for him, I think nobody wanted to pay him QB money, thats one of the curses of having the top pick, you a lot of times wildly overpay that player. At the same time, I hate what McNair does by wanting to sign the player b4 the draft. I think we should have waited and seen if anyone got crazy and tried to move up but I guess we will never know now.

I hope that we are never in the top spot again and if we are maybe we can at least let the suspense go on and let people at least consider whether or not to trade up to get the pick from us. Thats just smart business.
Well you have only been here since April and I can tell you that there were a few vocal people on this board trumpeting Williams as the #1 with some sound reasoning behind it.
Old 05-28-2006   #19
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Well you have only been here since April and I can tell you that there were a few vocal people on this board trumpeting Williams as the #1 with some sound reasoning behind it.
Yup, quite a few folks were pushing for Mario or DBrick (depending on whether they were wanting to improve the offense or defense first). However, they were almost all based around a trade down to about #4. I can't remember anyone (not that there might not have been some) calling for him at the #1 more than about 2 weeks before the draft. The point is that he was on the radar of folks and as one of the top 3-4 picks, just not at #1 and I put that to the hype machine around Bush. No matter how you slice it, Mario isn't chopped liver and is/was a great pick.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006   #20
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Then the majority of Houston is constructed of fools. I only spoke the truth. Like I said, they didn't call our meeting with San Francisco the Bush Bowl for nothing. I didn't say we made the wrong choice or that Mario isnt going to cut it, I say that Bush seemed the be the best player for a loooooooooooooong time and if you can sit here and say that you never dreamed up scenerios of him cutting across the middle while AJ went deep then I think you're not being totally honest.
I can say that...I've been anti-reggie since wayyyy before the bush bowl. I dont like what I see out of him, and i feverishly hoped against hope he would just go someplace else. Thank goodness, he did. Complete honesty.....bush wasnt even the best player on his own team.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read