Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-26-2006   #1
Chato
Rookie

Default Flexible Scheduling

Good idea, y'all...

NFL"Flexible Scheduling" for 2006 Season

This season, the NFL will implement for the first time in its history, a primetime "flexible scheduling" element on Sundays in weeks 10-15 (November 12 December 17) and in week 17 (December 31). For 2006, week 16 (December 24) will not be a "flex" week due to the Christmas Holiday.

Flexible scheduling will ensure quality match-ups on Sunday night in "flex" weeks and give teams a chance to play their way into a primetime match-up. Here are the basics:

The 2006 NFL schedule will list start times for all Sunday games during the "flex" weeks as 12:00 p.m. CT, except for games played in Mountain or Pacific time zones, which will be listed as 3:05 p.m. CT or 3:15 p.m. CT.
The NBC Sunday night time slot for "flex" weeks will list teams as "TBD".
Only Sunday afternoon games are eligible to be moved. Flexible scheduling will not be applied to games airing on Thursday, Saturday or Monday nights.
Just as the six major college football conferences have done for many years, the NFL now will have additional flexibility to move the start times of games on Sundays, using a 12-day notice format. For example, the Texans versus Titans game at Reliant Stadium scheduled for Sunday, December 10 could move from a 12:00 p.m. CT kickoff to a 7:15 p.m. CT start, with this change made and announced no later than Tuesday, November 28.

I hope you find this summary useful. I also hope by the end of the season, we are a candidate for one or more of these primetime slots!

Best regards,

Jamey Rootes
President
Business Operations
Houston Texans
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #2
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool

I just read that e-mail. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I guess good that the better games can move into the better time slot, but bad if you're planning something longer term around the NFL schedule and you end up having a conflict.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #3
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Bad if you're doing a roadie and your noon game gets moved to Prime Time and you have a 7 pm flight out. But we shouldn't have to worry about that this year....
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Awful policy for anyone who does not have the "flexibility" to arrange their schedule in such short notice.
Old 05-29-2006   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Probably will work fine for the TV crowd, but presents problems for those actually attending games. Like AJ said, could be a real issue with flieghts and such.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #6
TheTim5125
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TheTim5125

From what I heard there is a 2 or 3 week notice before they change the time, its not like a day of thing. So i don't think it will be too tough to change a schedule around, not too bad.
Old 05-29-2006   #7
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTim5125
From what I heard there is a 2 or 3 week notice before they change the time, its not like a day of thing. So i don't think it will be too tough to change a schedule around, not too bad.
10 days minimum; not enough to change a flight.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-30-2006   #8
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

the few people it'll affect won't impact much.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #9
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 25465 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

This all the sudden made more sense to me when I looked at the actual schedule (so, I'm a bit slow). As I was thinking it was just afternoon games that could switch to evening, but looking at our schedule on the main site - or "noon" games could switch 7 of our last 8 games to afternoon OR evening.

Now, that would be nice - especially after our realtively tough 1st half of the season, to go into the second half on a roll and get a Sunday night game again (NEVER to be embarassed on national tv AGAIN). Unfortunately, we only have 3 home games can be switched, but a Sunday night game against Tennessee or New Year's Eve against Cleveland would be quite nice.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #10
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4toZ
This all the sudden made more sense to me when I looked at the actual schedule (so, I'm a bit slow). As I was thinking it was just afternoon games that could switch to evening, but looking at our schedule on the main site - or "noon" games could switch 7 of our last 8 games to afternoon OR evening.

Now, that would be nice - especially after our realtively tough 1st half of the season, to go into the second half on a roll and get a Sunday night game again (NEVER to be embarassed on national tv AGAIN). Unfortunately, we only have 3 home games can be switched, but a Sunday night game against Tennessee or New Year's Eve against Cleveland would be quite nice.
Our best bet for a night game would be our game in week 15 against the Patriots if both teams are deep in the playoff hunt (the Indy game in week 16 is Christmas weekend and they already have that Sunday night game decided).
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #11
jagibelieve
Veteran

This policy can definatly have an impact for those attending games, especially out of town games. The whole point of doing it is more $$$ for the NFL from television revenue. I'll wait to see how it works out this season before I give a yes or no about it...
jagibelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #12
KingRat
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Our best bet for a night game would be our game in week 15 against the Patriots if both teams are deep in the playoff hunt (the Indy game in week 16 is Christmas weekend and they already have that Sunday night game decided).
agreed
they would only have Texans if in playoff contention, and they wouldn't have us playing sorry teams like the Browns or Titans
Old 07-17-2006   #13
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

This may not be a great move from an attendance/convenience standpoint but it is a great move from a TV fan standpoint. I for one think it's about time ... I can't even remember some of the absolute Prime Time snoozers I was subjected to this year and last ... two craptastic teams (or at least one) that was supposed to be good for whatever reason when they set the schedule but entered the game at 2-11 ... yeah ... real Prime Time. Especially down the stretch, it's so much better to be able to watch two teams hot in a playoff race.

I like the flex idea and perhaps it stands to be tweaked, but IMO this is a positive change.
Old 07-17-2006   #14
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's a great idea. Previously, they set the schedule and decided what teams would be good enough to put on national tv, IN APRIL. A lot of us don't dare make predictions on the upcoming season until after the pre-season, and they're predicting in April when the schedule comes out. And of course, their predictions aren't any better than ours and we get stuck with some bad football teams playing on national TV. Flex schedule changes that.

Also, with a team like the Texans, coming off a 2-14 season, and no national tv games on the schedule, it's gives us a chance to grab one if they turn out to have a great season.

As far as people having their travel plans disrupted, I don't know what percentage of people actually travel to road games, but I can't imagine that percentage being very big. So that really isn't going to affect a whole lot of people. For those that is does affect, all I can say is that if you're planning a trip during the flex schedule part of the season, take that extra vacation/sick day.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read