Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2006   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chronic: The scoop on Travis Johnson

Johnson tackles tough times

When I looked at the picture of him of him in that link, that said all I needed to know about why he's at the bottom of the depth chart. He's got maturity issues. But I guess the positive thing, is that his coaches are recognizing that, and aren't sweeping it under the rug.

It will be real interesting though. Two of those DTs won't make the team. Wonder which two it will be?
Old 05-26-2006   #2
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is probably the best thing that can happen to Travis...either he steps up and competes or he heads to the bench or worse waiver wire. I hope he gets it, I'd hate to think we wasted that pick!

Texan, back in Texas!
Old 05-26-2006   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

This pretty much confirms the bad feeling I've been having about him and his performance so far this year.
Old 05-26-2006   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

at least that 3rd. rd. pick aquired from New Orleans turned into Eric Winston otherwise last years lack of performance and now this I would slash the caps off my beer bottles. :brickwall

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 05-26-2006   #5
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 71958 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]]
are you f'n kidding!!!?? Look at that photo man.... I mean WT* TJ!!!!
Warren Sapp was a fat piece of poo. Tackles are tackles.

Old 05-26-2006   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I don't know.. looks like a young Warren Sapp to me.

Don't forget...... he is effectively a rookie this year.
Old 05-26-2006   #7
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Megan Manfull should have not danced around the subject and called Johnson a grotesquely out-of-shape immature unmotivated slacker, living high on the hog on his 1st round draft pick money. Because of all the turmoil and turnover this offseason, there was apparently nobody around to hold his hand, and say that there is actually such a thing as an off-season conditioning program.

I'm absolutely that last person in the world that would prematurely label a 1st round pick a bust . . . but he's pissing me off.
Sponsored links
Old 05-26-2006   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
I don't know.. looks like a young Warren Sapp to me.
Warren Sapp has been there and done that. I wouldn't go there.
Old 05-26-2006   #9
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Warren Sapp has been there and done that. I wouldn't go there.
Yeah and I doubt Sapp ever practiced behind someone from the practice squad in his career. I just hope TJ can get his act together.
Old 05-26-2006   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope this is just a "period of adjustment" thing TJ is going thru, because after the huge disappointment of giving up 2 other first day picks for P-Burnt last year and the way he performed, if TJ doesn't work out it would make the 2005 Draft nearly a complete bust, with the exception of KR Mathis.
Its especially bad when you consider the likes of OT Alex Barron and WR Mark Clayton, 2 guys who had really good rookies years in 2005 and were arguably at bigger need positions than DT, were both left on the Board last year after we took Johnson.
Old 05-26-2006   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I hope this is just a "period of adjustment" thing TJ is going thru, because after the huge disappointment of giving up 2 other first day picks for P-Burnt last year and the way he performed, if TJ doesn't work out it would make the 2005 Draft nearly a complete bust, with the exception of KR Mathis.
Its especially bad when you consider the likes of OT Alex Barron and WR Mark Clayton, 2 guys who had really good rookies years in 2005 and were arguably at bigger need positions than DT, were both left on the Board last year after we took Johnson.
throw gasoline on the fire & beat a dead

16 Houston Travis Johnson DE Florida State
17 Cincinnati David Pollack OLB Georgia
18 Minnesota Erasmus James DE Wisconsin
19 St. Louis Alex Barron T Florida State
20 Dallas Marcus Spears DE Louisiana State

21 Jacksonville Matt Jones WR Arkansas
22 Baltimore Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma
23 Oakland Fabian Washington CB Nebraska

24 Green Bay Aaron Rodgers QB California
25 Washington Jason Campbell QB Auburn
26 Seattle Chris Spencer C Mississippi
27 Atlanta Roddy White WR Ala.-Birmingham
28 San Diego Luis Castillo DE Northwestern
29 Indianapolis Marlin Jackson CB Michigan
30 Pittsburgh Heath Miller TE Virginia
31 Philadelphia Mike Patterson DT Southern California
32 New England Logan Mankins G Fresno State

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 05-26-2006   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I think Megan Manfull should have not danced around the subject and called Johnson a grotesquely out-of-shape immature unmotivated slacker, living high on the hog on his 1st round draft pick money. Because of all the turmoil and turnover this offseason, there was apparently nobody around to hold his hand, and say that there is actually such a thing as an off-season conditioning program.

I'm absolutely that last person in the world that would prematurely label a 1st round pick a bust . . . but he's pissing me off.
Megan was reporting not opining--an article not a opinion column. (Wonder if Megan reads over here--there were a number of us wondering about TJ).

Actions speak louder than words. They are making sure everyone on the team knows that it doesn't matter where you were drafted, if you are working hard, you will play, and if you aren't you won't.

It's May. I wouldn't get too freaked out about this. They are getting his attention. Personally, I am rooting for him--he is a likable personable guy. (We should all be so lucky not to have our immaturities played out in the newspaper).

Quote:
Karmelowicz insists Johnson has all the physical qualities and athletic ability he needs to become an impact player in the NFL. Johnson's mental approach to the game may be all that's standing in the way of his making the necessary changes in technique.......

With Payne 31 years old and Robaire Smith turning 29 this season, Johnson is slated to be an integral part of the team's future.

"This is a big year for him," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. "It's year two. Most of the players in this league make their biggest jump from year one to year two if they are going to be a great player and play a long time. So it's time for Travis to do that."
Everybody on the team has new expectations for them. And they are hearing them.
Old 05-26-2006   #13
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
throw gasoline on the fire & beat a dead

16 Houston Travis Johnson DE Florida State
17 Cincinnati David Pollack OLB Georgia
18 Minnesota Erasmus James DE Wisconsin
19 St. Louis Alex Barron T Florida State
20 Dallas Marcus Spears DE Louisiana State
21 Jacksonville Matt Jones WR Arkansas
22 Baltimore Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma
23 Oakland Fabian Washington CB Nebraska
24 Green Bay Aaron Rodgers QB California
25 Washington Jason Campbell QB Auburn
26 Seattle Chris Spencer C Mississippi
27 Atlanta Roddy White WR Ala.-Birmingham
28 San Diego Luis Castillo DE Northwestern
29 Indianapolis Marlin Jackson CB Michigan
30 Pittsburgh Heath Miller TE Virginia
31 Philadelphia Mike Patterson DT Southern California
32 New England Logan Mankins G Fresno State
I haven't followed all of these players so I'm not going to rate them, but going by your bolding/not bolding there was only about a 56% hit ratio (not counting TJ). I understand that this is an evaluation after just one year and I expect some of the misses to end up being good players. Interesting none-the-less.
Old 05-26-2006   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I am glad to hear that these coaches aren't BSing. They are letting people know when they aren't getting what they expect of them.
Old 05-26-2006   #15
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
Megan was reporting not opining--an article not a opinion column.
I realize that. I guess I should have used a , but facetious would be better suited.
Old 05-26-2006   #16
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

"This is a big year for him," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. "It's year two. Most of the players in this league make their biggest jump from year one to year two if they are going to be a great player and play a long time. So it's time for Travis to do that."

Very odd statement given the lack of production for a number of first round picks on this team. Just hope TJ stays with the program, got to have depth and he will be a player eventually.
Old 05-26-2006   #17
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

I really felt that the 2005 draft class was like 2002. Fairly weak with a few scattered gems that we won't find out about for a few years. I'm not shy about who I wanted and will stick to it. I wanted DJ and would still take him today over TJ + the 3rd round pick. The 3rd round pick was for Spencer (imo) not Winston. They took Winston with the Saints pick to justify the tradedown for TJ (imo). There is no other reason to take Spencer before Winston other than that (imo).

I still hope TJ proves to be worth his first round status but work ethics aren't something that are easily taught. You either have them or you don't most of the time.
Old 05-26-2006   #18
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"A lot of times guys go, 'Hey, come on; it's May. We have no pads,' " Karmelowicz said. "They give you a list of reasons why they shouldn't do anything hard. But you must give yourself permission to do it. That's what's got to click on with him right now. That's what he's fighting. As soon as he allows himself to do it, he'll pick it up in a New York minute."

I think the WORST thing that could have happened to him was having Gary Walker being his mentor his first year in the league.........Lord I hope none of Garys attitude rubbed off on Travis. Mentaly speaking and how Gary approached practice, sometimes I think Gary just thought he could show up and everything would take of its self.

I really think Travis will do fine being in the 4-3 again.
Sound like someone to you............G-FUNK

Last edited by Hulk75; 05-26-2006 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-26-2006   #19
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The good news is that TJ has first round talent . Lombardi said winning is not a sometimes thing its an all the time thing ... I think this also applies to being a premier player . This is what the DL coach meens by TJ making up his mind and doing whats needed to fullfill his potential .

Translation , get off your fat ass and be in shape year around . If you are not bigger , stronger and faster than you were when you arrived here your losing ground . A quality DL over a ten year period can make 20 million dollars and your throwing it away . God only makes so many 300 lb men who are quick and agile enough to be NFL linemen and you still think NC State is on your schedule .

Round Dan
Old 05-26-2006   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
Actions speak louder than words. They are making sure everyone on the team knows that it doesn't matter where you were drafted, if you are working hard, you will play, and if you aren't you won't.
Make no mistake about it, IMO Kubiak and his people are not immune from playing politics and having favorites players just like Capers and his people did and every other coaching regime does. They have a vested interst in their
Draft picks and FA players succeeding. It simply makes them look smarter if
for example D. Ryans and Eric Winston are successes vs TJ and Babin ending up as NFL failures.
Having said that, I give them much credit for making a real effort to resurrect the career of Seth Wand. He is not their boy, and was inherited from the previous regime. They obviously seem to think he could help them, and its all about winning ultimately and they will keep a player if he's a contributor.
But I'm confidant that they will have less patience, cut a player quicker if he was not acquired by them as compared to one of their own.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read