Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-26-2006   #1
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Smile Who's The Better Tackler

hey i've been a fan of nfl for quite a while now and one question always comes to mind - "who's the better tackler between a nfl player and a rugby league player" i ain't here to cause a riot between nfl and rugby fans is just that i'm pretty much bored and thought i'd start a new thread.

so let me know what you think
Old 05-26-2006   #2
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

what in the hell is rug-be? Is that soccer?

Old 05-26-2006   #3
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Smile rugby league

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters
what in the hell is rug-be? Is that soccer?

lol glad to show u what rugby league is all about, its what we down in the southern hemisphere play, just click on the link below and it will show the tackles in rugby league- go and have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf0fs...of%20origin%20

oh yeah football was originated from rugby by some american guy
Old 05-26-2006   #4
colts18288
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_wayz
hey i've been a fan of nfl for quite a while now and one question always comes to mind - "who's the better tackler between a nfl player and a rugby league player" i ain't here to cause a riot between nfl and rugby fans is just that i'm pretty much bored and thought i'd start a new thread.

so let me know what you think

No pads, full speed ahead..............Rugby plaers are insane........Rugby hands down. Put them in an NFL uniform and they might try to tackle a tank.
colts18288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006   #5
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

considering all you really do in rugby is tackle, then i gotta go with the rugby guys.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006   #6
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 30712 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I have played both Rugby and Football and the tackeling style is very different between the two.

Oh how you might ask?

The Rugby league (nothing to formal) I played in, you were not allowed to spear another player, or lead with your head. To me this forces a person to be a better tackler buy having to square up and wrap up not to mention to win the battle of leverage by getting lower than your opponent.

Where as football you tend to use your head as a weapon by planting the face mask square in the chest and use that momentem to wrap up and knock your opponent down. You will leave the field with a bloody nose if you tried that in rugby. Not to mention getting blind sided by a 250 pound man flying thru the air.

So to answer your question I think the best pure tackeling comes from rugby but the harder hits come from football.

I would have to say I have been hit harder in football than in rugby. However being in a scrum sucks.

Playing primarly D-Line or Linebacker I wasen't used to having the football but in Rugby anybody at any time will touch the ball to score. I loved running over people. The backwards pass is somthing to get used to and not as easy as it sounds. I still can't drop kick.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006   #7
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
I have played both Rugby and Football and the tackeling style is very different between the two.

Oh how you might ask?

The Rugby league (nothing to formal) I played in, you were not allowed to spear another player, or lead with your head. To me this forces a person to be a better tackler buy having to square up and wrap up not to mention to win the battle of leverage by getting lower than your opponent.

Where as football you tend to use your head as a weapon by planting the face mask square in the chest and use that momentem to wrap up and knock your opponent down. You will leave the field with a bloody nose if you tried that in rugby. Not to mention getting blind sided by a 250 pound man flying thru the air.

So to answer your question I think the best pure tackeling comes from rugby but the harder hits come from football.

I would have to say I have been hit harder in football than in rugby. However being in a scrum sucks.

Playing primarly D-Line or Linebacker I wasen't used to having the football but in Rugby anybody at any time will touch the ball to score. I loved running over people. The backwards pass is somthing to get used to and not as easy as it sounds. I still can't drop kick.
Right on, it is two different kinds of tackling so it's hard to compare. Put football players on a rugby field and I don't expect they'd be able to succeed especially well, put rugby players on a football field and I don't expect they'd do overly well. Having pads also enables you to tackle people a lot harder. Football players are generally more athletic but rugby players are probably a little tougher.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-26-2006   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Rugby seems to have a much more violent style of tackling, and a lot less regulation. Why do they always slide when they score? Is it a rule of sorts? I think I'm going to start my kids off w/rugby before moving them to football. They need to learn how to take a hit and deliver it back harder.
Old 05-26-2006   #9
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 411 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Rather play Lacrosse then Rugby.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006   #10
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

^^vinny its 2 different sports....rugby players would definitely be better tacklers, the most missed tackles you'd ever see in rugby would be nearly always 1....i have these kind of arguments with friends all the time. where im from rugby is the oval-ball game and my friends are always saying 'nfl is for ******* etc' because of the pads etc but i say that the nfl players are bigger and faster than rugby plyers and therefore its too dangerous to not play with pads and that shuts them up

and to answer your question about why rugby players dont convert..well the main reason is just because they're good tacklers(which can be thought easier than other aspects) doesnt mean they'll cut it playing in the nfl ie..they probably wont have the coverage skills or experience/instincts to stop running plays very well....its a bit like asking why dont formula 1 cars enter rally's

and YTF...the reason they dive most of the time is because the rule is that you have to touch the ball down on the ground in the 'endzone' so to speak...and diving is the safest way of doing this without 'fumbling'
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006   #11
kiwitexansfan
Let's Mock!!!!!

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Rugby is mostly about the wrap tackle. I would say that the average rugby player is a more secure tackler. The tackle is pretty well legislated against.

Football is a lot more chipping and throwing the body. Also the hits are much more vicious in football.

There are tons of reasons rugby players don't end up trying football. Body shape, lack of exposure to the sport, Rugby/League being an obsession in the places where they are played.
Old 05-26-2006   #12
Farough
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 879 Farough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Farough

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
Rugby seems to have a much more violent style of tackling, and a lot less regulation. Why do they always slide when they score? Is it a rule of sorts? I think I'm going to start my kids off w/rugby before moving them to football. They need to learn how to take a hit and deliver it back harder.
you have to touch the ball down in the endzone for the try to count.. otherwise you dont score any points.
Farough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farough
you have to touch the ball down in the endzone for the try to count.. otherwise you dont score any points.
thanks, I was just going along the lines that they were crazy Aussies.
Old 05-27-2006   #14
wicked_wayz
all blacks

"Where as football you tend to use your head as a weapon by planting the face mask square in the chest and use that momentem to wrap up and knock your opponent down. You will leave the field with a bloody nose if you tried that in rugby. Not to mention getting blind sided by a 250 pound man flying thru the air."

very true but in my view the impact in rugby league is more devasting, remember in league you have guys running straight at you full speed from 10 yards back and you got to tackle them in a standing position (extremely hard) and believe me you'll get more than a bloody nose if you tried to tackle with your head....you'll get concussed the F out for a week...lol

but thanxs for posting your opinion much appreciated

Last edited by wicked_wayz; 05-27-2006 at 09:14 PM.
wicked_wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006   #15
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Smile

"but i say that the nfl players are bigger and faster than rugby plyers and therefore its too dangerous to not play with pads and that shuts them up"
i don't really agree with you on this one i believe the players on both rugby league and football are basically at the same speed.

because in league you play
- 2 full 40min halfs without breakdown running at full speed consistantly
- you tackle as much as 20 times if not more PER GAME
- you carry the ball as much as 10 to 20 times PER GAME
- you play both offense and defence

but other than size its basically the same except for the o line, but then in league they are not best suited to play, for they will not be able to do the above actions. but then again its the same for league players too, they will not be able to do what o line men can do or even be good at coverage.

but you are right they are two COMPLETELY different sport

thanxs for posting me ur opinion much appreciated

what ever you americans do...don't ever watch rugby league being played by euro countries for they make the sport look wussy
Old 05-27-2006   #16
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
"but i say that the nfl players are bigger and faster than rugby plyers and therefore its too dangerous to not play with pads and that shuts them up"
i don't really agree with you on this one i believe the players on both rugby league and football are basically at the same speed.

but other than size its basically the same except for the o line, but then in league they are not best suited to play, for they will not be able to do the above actions. but then again its the same for league players too, they will not be able to do what o line men can do or even be good at coverage.

what ever you americans do...don't ever watch rugby league being played by euro countries for they make the sport look wussy
i can assure you, there are not any randy moss' or deion sanders playing rugby...

rugby has some good white athletes, but the good black ones (the best ones) play football
Old 05-27-2006   #17
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
i can assure you, there are not any randy moss' or deion sanders playing rugby...

rugby has some good white athletes, but the good black ones (the best ones) play football
i tell you this like i've told everyone else, don't watch rugby played by euro countries, watch how NZ and AUS plays it

and by the way those two are not made to play Rugby league neither will the good black ones we have in rugby would be able to play nfl
Old 05-28-2006   #18
Trapped
Veteran

Instead of running a hail mary for 50-70 yards. I think teams should line up there best athletes at the oline positions and play rugby style to get to the endzone.

i think rugby players are better tacklers, they are pretty much in a train wreck on every possessions.
Most users ever online was 1,493, 04-28-2006 at 09:04 PM
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006   #19
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

i dont really watch rugby league that much, more rugby union and i know the league athletes, in some cases, are better athletes. however, from what
ive seen, most rugby players dont nearly have the size/speed combination as nfl athletes for obvious reasons-they are more focused on durability(running around for 80 minutes), whereas in the nfl, they focus on short spurts of optimum performance
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #20
wicked_wayz
all blacks

ive seen, most rugby players dont nearly have the size/speed combination as nfl athletes for obvious reasons-they are more focused on durability(running around for 80 minutes), whereas in the nfl, they focus on short spurts of optimum performance[/quote]

i disagree with this cause look at our wingers they can run the 100m in 11 seconds take for example look at jonah lomu hes almost 2m meters tall, thats like 6'5 or 6'6 and weighs like 260 - 270 pounds and can run in the 100m in 11sec thats pure power and speed. the main difference when it comes to body shape is the muscle mass

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read