Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-26-2006   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Think about the multi-dimentional value of us having Mario Williams

Think about it. It was said that Bush would bring us so many options because he could be utilized as a running back, and as a wide receiver....that we could put him in the backfield and then sprint him out to WR, thus blowing the minds of defensive coordinators.

Well, I think Mario Williams brings that same aspect of multiple "options" to our defensive playcalling, allowing us to keep offenses guessing.

Mario can line up at DE or further inside. What if Mario lines up at DE, and then half-way through the QB's cadence Mario switches with someone at the tackle spot? The QB thought Mario was lining up at DE to rush from the outside edge, and the QB (Manning?) sees mario at DE and calls an audible from a pass to a run to avoid Mario.......but Mario switches after the Qb calls the audible and thus switches with a tackle and lines up further inside in anticipation of the offense's audible.

And the QB has only a few seconds to snap the ball, and the QB thinks "Oh, crud. What do we do now?" It disrupts the flow of the other team's offense. Especially if you creep up a LB and/or some DBs in an effort to "sell" what looks like a defense preparing for the run.......but the snap occurs, and the LBs and DBs fall back into a short zone or attack the ball carrier if the QB doesn't re-audible back into a pass play. Even so, it just makes it tough on offensive coordinators to know for sure what play to call (or to audible to) because Mario can rush the edge AND/OR stuff the run. He's just as mulit-dimentional as Bush has been made out to be.

The Steelers used Troy Palomaulo the same way...they'd creep him up to the line as if he was going to blitz, then he'd pop back several steps, then he'd creep up again, then he'd run over to the other side of the line and put a hand down on the turf at the end of the line, or he'd jog back into a coverage spot. He just boggled the minds of QBs and offensive coordinators, much in the same way Manning freaked out defenses by yelling and waving his hands when none of it probably meant anything at all.

Well, I think we got ourselves a potential game changer on defense because of this same type of ability.

So many options..................
Old 05-26-2006   #2
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

yeah good post, it was a lil confusing to keep up with, but i get ya drift. MW is a very versitle player.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Multi-dimensional is well and good, but I think during his rookie year Williams will stick to a single position for the vast majority of plays while he develops NFL technique against NFL talent.

I'd expect more fancy stuff in the following years, or late in year one after he's proven himself.
Old 05-26-2006   #4
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

honestly i dont care where on the D-line he plays as long as we/he is getting some pressure on their QB, and our secondary wont get shredded every game.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006   #5
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Wasn't Lawrence Taylor allowed to move around a little also? Never knew where he was coming from. I can see Williams doing this and over occasionally to BOP a tight end trying to come out.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006   #6
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Multi-dimensional is well and good, but I think during his rookie year Williams will stick to a single position for the vast majority of plays while he develops NFL technique against NFL talent.

I'd expect more fancy stuff in the following years, or late in year one after he's proven himself.
Kube has already said that he will play all four positions this season.
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy
Wasn't Lawrence Taylor allowed to move around a little also? Never knew where he was coming from. I can see Williams doing this and over occasionally to BOP a tight end trying to come out.

It was almost that he pushed offenses to be grudgingly multidimensional. It's probably more accurate to say that offenses moved around for LT. This was written right after his right achilles tendon rupture occured:

__________________________________________________ _______________

For 12 seasons, the Giants had Lawrence Taylor, and for 12 seasons, opposing offenses used a great deal of energy to worry about him. "The offenses never allowed a back to block him one on one, ever," the linebackers' coach, Dave Brazil, explained today. But now the Giants will be without that leverage, and will have to adjust.
__________________________________________________ _

Let's hope that Mario forces offenses to be multidimensional all over the place.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-26-2006   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, it's been said that Mario is going to be utilized in different spots.

That's what got me to thinking that we could have actually made (perhaps) the best decision a team drafting at No. 1 has had to make, under the amount of pressure and scrutiny that existed.

Teams have drafted the sexy guy so often, at the top of the first round, and how much has that really paid off? Ask Tim Couch and the Browns.

IMO, the hype machine that is known as ESPN and the rest of the sports media "could" be influencing a lot of bad draft choices with how they pick a few guys and then tout them all year 24-7.

Freeney's out there demanding to not just be the top-paid defensive end...but to be the top paid PLAYER in the NFL. The Colts are on the verge of imploding under the weight of cutting Edgerrin James, spending a ton of money on a QB and a WR, and now looking at dealing with yet another star player who will be demanding to be paid MORE than Manning. I see the Colts winning the AFC South this year, but not as easily as they have in the past, and then dropping like a rock next season. I see the Jags and the Texans becoming the two top teams in the South (not this year, but the next) with the Colts and Titans paying for their ways for a few years. It's all a cycle, and it's about to come full circle if you ask me. Again, not this year, but definitely the next year.

Glad we got ourselves a multi-dimentional guy like Mario who can pound the QB or RB. I admit I didn't want him as bad as I wanted Bush...but hey, I guess I can be wrong ONE time.
Old 05-26-2006   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan Blue and Orange
Kube has already said that he will play all four positions this season.
Still, the vast majority will be at strongside end. IMO.

Unless they switch him primarily to weakside end for some reason, then he will spend most plays there.

I just don't think he'll be moving around every 2-3 plays.
Old 05-26-2006   #10
Dime
Hall of Fame

if Mario is at least 1/2 has good as freeny, this gives our offense a person of size and tween of Freeny to test how they hold up. The better our D-line, the better our online will get at practice having to face our D
Old 08-16-2006   #11
cbnjwill
Veteran

Default oh crud?

do u really think the best qb in the game is gonna say oh crud what do we do now because a rookie has switched positions on the line. dont see it..
cbnjwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime
if Mario is at least 1/2 has good as freeny
No way ! Not acceptable ! Mario had better be atleast 100% as good as
Freeny in terms of his value to our team.
If we were willing to accept 1/2 as good as Freeney, we should have been
able to work out a trade for our #1 where got someone like Tamba Hali for
an edge rusher and a top back like Laurence Mahoney plus 2 or three other picks.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #13
done88
Veteran

The best way to disrupt Manning is using the sholder pads. Its hard for him to throw or hand off from his back. One way or anoter if the defense hits Manning we wi1ll be happy and give the credit to Mario otherwise we call him a bust.
Old 08-16-2006   #14
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

IMO, there are some very good posts on this thread! First, Mario was drafted to be multi-dimensional, and Kubiak's nature is 'more is better, sooner is even better.' This is what Carr needed from the get go and should benefit from now, someone to teach,motivate, and push him--heck IMO the entire team needs this philosophy! Hopefully, as he learns, Mario will have an impact on those around him but I think Kubiak will not hold him back...
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #15
Jacksonvillewolf
waterboy

This is my first post.....I am from Richlands and have seen Mario grow as a football player over the years and at NCSU.

The Texans still do not understand what they have in that young man. He is still raw and extremely teachable. He will be a force to deal with in the NFL and will change the offensive strategies of teams because they will have to account for him. The players around him will only benefit and get better. Just wait till you see him drop back into a zone blitz situation and run cover the TE or RB out of the backfield. Then, you will have a greater appreciation for what the young man is going to be.

Have a little patience while he learns the needed techniques. By the seasons end, the mild mannered young man will become the monster you expect.

As for off the field, you will have no one represent your team and city with better dignity. His character is very good. He is a good Christian man, enough said.......

I have a new favorite NFL team........THE TEXANS!!!!!
Jacksonvillewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #16
cbnjwill
Veteran

Default ur right nunusguy

for sure williams has to be atleast as good as freeney if not better otherwise texans didnt get value out of that pick. im amazed that so many texans fans would accept mario being only a decent player. franchises dont get many first overall picks in the draft when they come along u need to hit a homerun with that pick theres obviously a long season ahead maybe mariio becomes that big time pass rusher they need but if he doesnt texans fans should be prepared to here about it all over the media. for every big bush run or vince highlight play, marios' play will be compared right along with those two guys if he doesnt measure up hes gona get ripped along with the texans by most media outlets. the texans put themselves and mario in a tough spot
cbnjwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The whole comparison of how Williams is versatile for defense like Bush is versatile for offense is what Casserly said.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #18
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonvillewolf
This is my first post.....I am from Richlands and have seen Mario grow as a football player over the years and at NCSU.

The Texans still do not understand what they have in that young man. He is still raw and extremely teachable. He will be a force to deal with in the NFL and will change the offensive strategies of teams because they will have to account for him. The players around him will only benefit and get better. Just wait till you see him drop back into a zone blitz situation and run cover the TE or RB out of the backfield. Then, you will have a greater appreciation for what the young man is going to be.

Have a little patience while he learns the needed techniques. By the seasons end, the mild mannered young man will become the monster you expect.

As for off the field, you will have no one represent your team and city with better dignity. His character is very good. He is a good Christian man, enough said.......

Welcome aboard!
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #19
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68452 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonvillewolf

Welcome to the boards!
and congratulations on becoming a Texan Fan

Yeah, we're expecting a lot of great things, not only from Mario, but as a team in general. I have confidence that Coach Kubiak will bring it all together....
Old 08-16-2006   #20
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbnjwill
for sure williams has to be atleast as good as freeney if not better otherwise texans didnt get value out of that pick. im amazed that so many texans fans would accept mario being only a decent player. franchises dont get many first overall picks in the draft when they come along u need to hit a homerun with that pick theres obviously a long season ahead maybe mariio becomes that big time pass rusher they need but if he doesnt texans fans should be prepared to here about it all over the media. for every big bush run or vince highlight play, marios' play will be compared right along with those two guys if he doesnt measure up hes gona get ripped along with the texans by most media outlets. the texans put themselves and mario in a tough spot
...so does this mean you'll let Mario (young/bush) show us what he can/can't do on the field and not remind us of impending doom on a weekly basis or a post by post basis--after all, he has not even finished his first pre-season yet--can we at least see him in a couple 'real'games before 'judgement' is passed on him....thanks
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read