Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 05-25-2006   #1
HeartofHouston
Veteran

Default Looking Ahead - 2007 Draft

I know it's a little pre-mature for this topic to even be posted but I'm bored and I was just curious and what you guys think..

Okay 2007 Draft who do you see us going after with our 1st Round Pick??

Me personally i have a couple of situational picks...

-----
1 - Lets just say that david Carr doesnt pan out well in this offense or for some reason just cant pick it up.. then likely we'll have a top 10 pick.

We should be taking a long look at Brady Quinn (Notre Dame) or Brian Brohm (Louisville).. If David Carr is struggling or is not picking up the offense using the high first rounder on one of these guys will let Carr know that either: "You Get With The Program or You're Outta Here" and it could either ignite a fire under Carr that gives him a Drew Brees "resurrection" season...

or it could eat away at him and if that's the case we have our QB of the future that was been learning the system and coming along slowly ready to get into the starting lineup and David Carr is now trade bait and I know for sure that we can get something on the first day for a very tough smart QB David Carr.
-----
2 - If things turn out a little better and it's not Carr's Fault let's just say that it was the defense that just wasnt coming along for whatever reason. We end up with a middle to late 1st round pick.. Then we have a few options..

S LaRon Landry (LSU) or CB Leon Hall (Mich) or S Brandon Merriweather (The U) or CB Daymeion Hughes (Cal) any of these guys could be a upgrade over our DBs (minus D-Rob). Landry is back for his senior year.. he was already considered the best safety last year, now imagine if he stays healthy he could end up being better this year. Leon Hall was crowned by Michigan coaches as the best Defensive Player since Charles Woodson left the program.

Our 2nd Cornerback position is looking a little iffy and we could bring one of these guys in and have them fight it out with Faggins or McKenzie for the spot. At the Safety position Glenn Earl has been solid for us so the SS is not a need so we go to FS where Merriwheather has been an absolute monster since Sean Taylor left the position.
---

3 - Lets just say for some reason the running game is just not adding up for some reason (which is highly unlikely- "come on it's Coack Kube's system) or let's say that DD cant stay healthy again but we end up in the middle to lower half of the first round.. because of good Qb and good defense..

Micheal Bush (Louisville), Marshawn Lynch (Cal) and Antonio Pittman (OSU - Jr) could possibly fall to the middle-late first. Bush is an absolute Monster at 6'3 248lbs and runs a 4.53 this guy could absolutely punish LB and DBs when they come in for the tackle. Bush hits the hole with authority. Lynch is a not as big but he is smart and instinctive. Antonio Pittman is FAST... he doesnt do a lot of dancing he just gets the ball and runs right pass people.
---

4 - Finally lets say that everything turns out well we end up with the bottom quarter of the first round.. we could trade out of the first and pick up and extra 2nd and 3rd.

2 - OT Gosder Cherilus (BC), CB Fred Bennett (SCSU)
3 - HB Tyrone Moss (The U) and BPA

We could possibly still add starters and add depth by doing this in the up and coming draft..

-------

Once again I know this is pre-mature. But just for laughs and giggles and to keep our eyes open on the up and coming talent.. what do you guys think?.. who would you like to see as a Texan??
Old 05-25-2006   #2
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler

There is no way I can wrap my head around next year's draft right now. There are entirely too many variables involved.
Old 05-25-2006   #3
HeartofHouston
Veteran

I can understand that like I said it's just for those few people who think WAYYYYY ahead..
Old 05-25-2006   #4
real

maybe the thread shoulda been called...College players to watch
Old 05-25-2006   #5
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

im just gonna list acouple players that i think would be a good pick

Justin Blalock
Adrian Peterson
Marshawn Lynch
LaRon Landry

The Pick that I think would benefit the texans most right now is
MICHAEL GRIFFIN

Brian Dawkins comparison
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #6
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

Already???

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #7
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

there is a wide reciever out of georgia tech that i like

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2006   #8
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
there is a wide reciever out of georgia tech that i like
His name is Calvin Johnson and wll likely be a Top 5-10 pick, so hopfully we won't be in any position to draft him.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #9
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

This needs to go in a different section...Comeon people its common sense
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #10
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 57403 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread is bad luck. We started talking about picking first after we lost to Buffalo...............

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofHouston
I can understand that like I said it's just for those few people who think WAYYYYY ahead..
Man, I can't even think far enough ahead to know what I'll have for dinner. No way could I wrap my brain around the 2007 draft. Smoke starts coming out of my ears when I tried.
Old 05-25-2006   #12
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont share most of the boards optimism about our record...5-11 strikes me as about right, so i think this will be our last year of high draft picks for awhile...but i expect top 10 in 06

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #13
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 124145 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

All I can say is no QB in first 3-4 rounds. Every other position is fair game. No need to "invest" another large amount of cash into a first day QB, when success shows that it is not a prerequisite for success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #14
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a tough thing for me to do for a number of factors.
1. I dont know what positions the Texans will NEED next year. At the moment CB/S looks to be a good place to go, but who knows maybe we will have a strong Db group. You dont know till we get on the field and play.

2. I dont know WHERE the Texans will be picking. If there is a need position and the guy is a top 5 pick and we are a teens pick, we likley wont get him,

3. i have no idea where the texans Might be pickin. Who knows what our record will be and where we will finish.

Becuase of these reasons I find it hard to say who we should be looking at right now. See me in a few months.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #15
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Im just going to throw it out there right now: LaRon Landry or Michael Griffin. For some reason, I see CC Brown and Glenn Earl battling for the SS spot and us drafting a starting FS.
Old 05-25-2006   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel fairly safe saying that there are only three positions I want the Texans to address at this point. MLB, WR, FS.

WR is very deep next year with Jarrett, Johnson, and Smith headlining that group. There will be some very pleasent surprises that arise throughout the year.

MLB is an average group right now IMO. Plouz is recovering from injury, and there are about 2 or 3 other top 40 MLB's this year, but I don't know their names yet.

FS is deep for its position, but not as deep as this past year. Merriwether and Landry headline the group, and both are top talents.

I can actually see Kubiak going WR next year if we have a top 12 pick. In Denver, they drafted a lot of WR's. Granted they were searching for a legitimate #1, but having a Calvin Johnson/Dwayne Jarrett combined with AJ is unfare. Imagine Arrizona's WR's, then think better. Moulds should be on his way out, but the Rookie could easily play back-up for a year until Moulds can't go anymore.
Old 05-25-2006   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not count Moulds out for at least the next two-three years, WR is just not a need anymore. I do agree however a premier FS, MLB or CB would all be options depending on where the Texans finish and who is available when they pick.

Defensive/Offensive lines should be set, as well as the offensive skilled positions. Carr is our QB get used to it so the emphasis will still be on building a championship defense, standby lets see how effective the 4-3 is and the players entrusted to run it

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #18
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88
Im just going to throw it out there right now: LaRon Landry or Michael Griffin. For some reason, I see CC Brown and Glenn Earl battling for the SS spot and us drafting a starting FS.
I think we would have drafted Ko Simpson in the 4th this year if Kubes felt we really needed a safety, but if not everything goes right back there than I would love to have any of those two.
Old 05-25-2006   #19
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

With the 32nd pick in the draft, the Houston Texans select Paul Poluzny, LB Penn St.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #20
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
With the 32nd pick in the draft, the Houston Texans select Paul Poluzny, LB Penn St.
That would be a really good pick for us if he falls that far.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read