Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-25-2006   #1
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP
Default Stupidity or defending your team mate?

Expanding on a thought I picked up on another thread. Situation, somebody really goes across the line and bops our player out of bounds, or fingers through the mask into the eyes, stomps a hand,etc. Should Texans retaliate in defense of their team mate even if the penalty really hurts the Texans? We've seen this recently in other sports too. I am leaning to the defend my guy, but do not want to hurt the chances of a win either. Your opinion?
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #2
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I would say, get revenge, when the defense takes the field, maybe a blindside hit to WR who isn't getting the ball, send a message, but then again. I am a jerk.:brickwall

Old 05-25-2006   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134301 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

It's almost a street thing...you don't want to let your people get bullied...so you fight back. I know I'd draw some flags, but I'm wired like that.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #4
real

a Win will hurt the other team more...and why retaliate at that moment...when you can crush the guy legally during a play...
Old 05-25-2006   #5
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler

Yeah, I'm a big fan of waiting until later in the game. Take it out on someone else when the referee is looking the other way.
Old 05-25-2006   #6
Meloy
Hall of Fame

In baseball, when a pitcher intentionally hits a player, I want the next guy up to let the bat fly right at the pitcher. Whoops, my hands were a mite slippery. Get the message?
Old 05-25-2006   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

You can have the designated "don't get a flag" guy.

You see your teammate get uneccesarry roughed. You then retaliate, but right before you do you get pulled back by another teammate who says "Don't get a flag!!!"
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2006   #8
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
a Win will hurt the other team more...and why retaliate at that moment...when you can crush the guy legally during a play...
exactly, hit'em where it hurts the most . . . on the scoreboard
Old 05-25-2006   #9
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88
exactly, hit'em where it hurts the most . . . on the scoreboard
Does this change if you are way ahead or way behind in the score?
Old 05-25-2006   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a fine line, and depends on the situation.

For instance, in a really close game, I'd say that players need to have self-control in order to avoid any really costly penalties. There will always be another game, and these dudes have long memories.

On the other hand, if the game is a blowout either way, then by all means, jack him up and teach a lesson.

Unless, of course, it's a really flagrant foul. If the refs are blind, then justice should be served accordingly.
Old 05-25-2006   #11
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy
I was always taught to take care of it in between the whistles...so.... no
Old 05-25-2006   #12
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
I say no. You know what they did, they do as well, and probably everyone who was watching the game as well. Id rather keep my head held high with respect for myself and my team rather than bring myself down to their level.
Old 05-25-2006   #13
trane
Rookie

Quote:
Expanding on a thought I picked up on another thread. Situation, somebody really goes across the line and bops our player out of bounds, or fingers through the mask into the eyes, stomps a hand,etc. Should Texans retaliate in defense of their team mate even if the penalty really hurts the Texans? We've seen this recently in other sports too. I am leaning to the defend my guy, but do not want to hurt the chances of a win either. Your opinion?
I thinking defending your teammate is acceptible...penalty or not. So long as it is in the heat of the moment and you don't totally lose your cool like Kyle Turley or Bill Romanowski. Some pushing and shoving is enough to make your point. For example, I love to see an offensive lineman defend his QB. I find that acceptable. However, if you are talking about doing what they do in baseball where you hit each other's players with a pitch. That is unneccessary.
trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #14
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88
I say no. You know what they did, they do as well, and probably everyone who was watching the game as well. Id rather keep my head held high with respect for myself and my team rather than bring myself down to their level.
Man, I really want to agree with you, but...I think it is sort of like dealing with a bully...sometimes, you just have to light them up. In the Marines, after pt training, usually 3-4 of us would go to gym for a pick up BB game. Now most of us were not much good but loved to play. One game we're getting slaughtered and this one guy kept elbowing my noggin until I looked like a many horned rhino. He was at least 6 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier than me. I gave my 'mates a heads up & next time down the court, as he went up for a jump shot and the left elbow came down, I remained feet on court and delivered a fist to his ahem..jewels. His team mates snickered and made comments like "that boy got even." I waited for him to get up and kick the dog.. out of me. He grumbled and allowed himself to be lead off court. We left the gym immediately.
Old 05-25-2006   #15
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by trane
I thinking defending your teammate is acceptible...penalty or not. So long as it is in the heat of the moment and you don't totally lose your cool like Kyle Turley or Bill Romanowski. Some pushing and shoving is enough to make your point. For example, I love to see an offensive lineman defend his QB. I find that acceptable. However, if you are talking about doing what they do in baseball where you hit each other's players with a pitch. That is unneccessary.
Wait for a quarter (if you can) rhen let someone have it when it is least expected after all that is kind of how it likely happened to you right?
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

????????????????????????????????????
Old 05-25-2006   #17
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it depends on if the officials have control of the game.

IMO if the officials can't handle it or call it, you gotta take care of your teammates. They are going to have to pay for it, just give the officials first crack to take care of it, otherwise it is going to keep on occurring.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #18
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Be the bigger man and turn the other cheek. Get a whole bunch of players to go up to the player and offer a hug. Mind games, eh?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #19
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade'06pick
Yeah, I'm a big fan of waiting until later in the game. Take it out on someone else when the referee is looking the other way.
That's the way you do it. That way nobody knows it was for earlier in the game. That way you hopefully don't get ejected and/or suspended like you probably would if you retaliated right away.
Old 05-25-2006   #20
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
Be the bigger man and turn the other cheek. Get a whole bunch of players to go up to the player and offer a hug. Mind games, eh?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read