Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-05-2004   #61
texansfan88
All Pro

according to the paper, hes going to be a texan for only 4 more hours.
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004   #62
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88
according to the paper, hes going to be a texan for only 4 more hours.
Do you have a link? I haven't seen that reported.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004   #63
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

That's Carlton Thompson's opinion and none of us know when he's referring to "all indications" if he simply reflecting on the Starling - Gaffney tryouts or if he really has some insider info.

It's in the Football extra section. Page F5.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004   #64
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Because they had no players and he fit the bill as a dual threat - then.

Because Lewis washed out, Moses hadn't "arrived" yet, and Avion Black wasn't the answer. Also because of DD's dual threat capability - backup RB (then) and return man.

Again, from most reports because he could serve a dual role as backup DB (which it turns out he couldn't) and return man

True.

The Texans have also place high importance on right tackle (different one every year) and many other positions. That happens when you're building a team and you're not completely satisfied with what you have at that position.
Think my post actually miscasted me as "single KR" guy when I am more in favor the dual role guys. I agree Moses specifically is like Miller and Foreman, a guy who can do something for you, but every year you are looking around for either a 'better" player or at least a guy who does more than one thing.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004   #65
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't read the single/dual thing into your post. I was just commenting on why they did what they did (because they were/are trying to improve every year and they obviously weren't satisfied with what they had). The dual threat thing is one of the reasons why the Texans picked those players (or so I've read) and not me trying to make a point one way or another.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004   #66
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I didn't read the single/dual thing into your post. I was just commenting on why they did what they did (because they were/are trying to improve every year and they obviously weren't satisfied with what they had). The dual threat thing is one of the reasons why the Texans picked those players (or so I've read) and not me trying to make a point one way or another.
thanks, i feel better and just noticed how bad my typing has been this morning
Old 09-05-2004   #67
TexasAggie
Rookie

Thumbs up

Sometime today we will know. But I donot think that JJ makes the final cut. Roster positions are at a premium.

The Texans are going to have to cut young potential or aged experience. ANd no JJ is not old, he is not one of the ones I am talking about. I am on the side of cutting aged experience in the back up positions, since the best the Texans can do this year is fight for a wild card spot. Now that is great to me but I think next year is more likely for a run deep into the playoffs and we will need those younger players. jmo
TexasAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2004   #68
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie
Sometime today we will know.
around 3:00 CDT in case any of you guys were wondering...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004   #69
Mistril48
All Pro

One reason for the Texans to use all the time allowed to make their cuts is if they are working on a trade. Perhaps they are trying to move a player for a draft pick, to allow them to keep JJ, or a developmental player.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004   #70
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
around 3:00 CDT in case any of you guys were wondering...
I am guessing that kffl.com would probably be the first source to get the info from.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004   #71
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

I hope Thompson is wrong. A couple of weeks ago, I was resigned to Moses being cut, but after his performances, and the others' lack of performance at the position, I will be pretty surprised (and not too happy, I'm sure).
Old 09-05-2004   #72
rdbrem
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Actually I think Moses started as a Packer and then was released and went to KC before he came here. Also, you are correct in the fact that he is not going to be eligible for the PS.
Moses started as a Chief in 2001 (practice squad only), then went to the Packers. Bounced back again to the Chiefs, and then again to the Packers. Assigned to NFL Europe (Scottish Claymores) by the Chiefs his first season, and I believe led in punt returns for NFL Europe.

From http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2002/11/13/3/

Last edited by rdbrem; 09-05-2004 at 02:08 PM.
rdbrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004   #73
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default JJ Moses

Yep he bounced back and forth from the Chiefs to the Packers. Signed and released by the Chiefs in early in 01 from what I gather.

26-Sep-01: Signed as a free agent by the Green Bay Packers.
21-Nov-01: Signed as a free agent by the Kansas City Chiefs.
13-Nov-02: Signed as a free agent by the Green Bay Packers.
30-Jan-03: Signed as a free agent by the Houston Texans.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004   #74
rdbrem
Rookie

Just checked on the web site http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2002/11/13/3/
It's the Packers website, but they've still got him in his Chiefs shirt. Truly the Packers run a class web site...
Old 09-05-2004   #75
txstater
Rookie

I really hope JJ stays. He has proven himself to be a capable (and, at times, exceptional) return man. Field position wins games.

# of TDs is irrelevant. YDs is what's important.
txstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004   #76
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hell, the Bears picked up Vontez Duff when we cut HIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
See if he is still on their roster on Monday.
aj is the man. Duff didn't make it to Monday. The Bears released him today.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004   #77
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txstater
I really hope JJ stays. He has proven himself to be a capable (and, at times, exceptional) return man. Field position wins games.

# of TDs is irrelevant. YDs is what's important.
Old 09-05-2004   #78
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

He is still standing! Didn't release him. Kept Starling also.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004   #79
txstater
Rookie

AT, what's confusing about that? Would you rather have a KR that has a TD or 2 with the rest of his returns never getting past the 30, or one with no TDs that always gets near the 50?

I'm not saying Moses does, just trying to find out what's important for a KR. Also, does his past guarantee that he won't ever have a TD?
txstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004   #80
rdbrem
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by txstater
AT, what's confusing about that??

I'm not saying Moses does, just trying to find out what's important for a KR. Also, does his past guarantee that he won't ever have a TD?
He may not have got the line that said 'TDs aren't important, its YDs.' I was thinking 'what are YDS?' when I realized you meant yards. The abbreviation was OK, it just wasn't automatic, because of the capitalization.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read