Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-24-2006   #1
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default What do you expect from Mario Williams his rookie season?

I'm a put it out there like this. I expect double digit sacks not only that but if Mario doesn't get the rookie record in sacks I will be disappointed. I come to this conclusion from past performances and if Mario is a better prospect than Peppers (and I think he is) then that record should have his name on it. Peppers played weakside so I was surprised that he didn't get the record over Freeney. Maybe that was a side effect of playing weakside. However Freeney got the record playing strong-side. Mario playing strong-side may be hard, but it should definetely be within his abilities. Like Peppers, Mario is coming onto a line that won't allow teams to focus solely on Williams. Unlike Peppers, Williams can still improve vastly on his pass-rushing skills.

Not only that, but I expect him to be in the top ten for tackles for loss next yr. basically I expect him to live up to his expectations. I expect teams to not want to run to his side I expect teams to double and maybe even triple team him. I expect him to still rack up #s.

Point of this is what to expect, I won't be dissappointed (to bad) if he doesn't reach these #s, but that is what I expect. So What do you expect from his 1st season?
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #2
Mightymike
Veteran

only hall of famers put up #'s when they get double and triple teamed, and you expect him to be of that caliber as a rookie??????
Old 05-24-2006   #3
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

To help our team win 10+ games. Stats are meaningless to me.

Edit,
oh yea, to make bone crushing hits that are heard from the stands...
Old 05-24-2006   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

to be crazy fresh
Old 05-24-2006   #5
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't expect double digit sacks, as teams would double team him when he gets past five. What I expect is for him to improve our line, therefore improve our defense, therefore, improve our team. What I expect out of Mario is picks for the DBs.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #6
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx
To help our team win 10+ games. Stats are meaningless to me.
I could care less how many sacks Mario gets too. As long as he can pressure the QB and if we win games he is doing his job. If we go out and win, every player on the team did what they all are there to do: win.
Old 05-24-2006   #7
stevo3883
All Pro

wow umm well unlike yall I do care how well mario plays.

he better get 10-15 sacks to justify his ridiculous salary.
Old 05-24-2006   #8
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

We aren't saying we don't care how he plays, we're saying the only stat important to us is the Win Loss column.

And in my case, the Big Hit Column
Old 05-24-2006   #9
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

The only people who are trying to set rediculouse expectations like these are those who are miffed that their guy (VY mostly but some RBs also) wasn't picked. That way they can whine till the cows come home that he is a bust, bad choice etc., etc. etc. on and on and on and on till everyone else wants to throttle them. If he gets 6-8 sacks (that would tie the team record) that would be pretty darn good for a rookie.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #10
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
If he gets 6-8 sacks (that would tie the team record) that would be pretty darn good for a rookie.
I agree 100%. A lot of people are setting a standard for him to get 10 or more sacks or he's a complete bust. It's like they almost want to be a bust because that is very hard to do. I'm just happy we got a lot better value with our #1 pick this year than the 49ers got last year.
Old 05-24-2006   #11
mapleleaf
Veteran

Well I expect from him to make at least as much sacks as much as Carr got by the opposing DL.
Old 05-24-2006   #12
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
The only people who are trying to set rediculouse expectations like these are those who are miffed that their guy (VY mostly but some RBs also) wasn't picked. That way they can whine till the cows come home that he is a bust, bad choice etc., etc. etc. on and on and on and on till everyone else wants to throttle them. If he gets 6-8 sacks (that would tie the team record) that would be pretty darn good for a rookie.
or people that think that a guy making $54 million should produce pro-bowl numbers

it's like with Carr, we dont hate him, but he hasnt produced to match his salary./
Old 05-24-2006   #13
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101586 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Sacks are overrated, QB hurries are almost just as good. The thing I'll look for next year is to see if Mario can consistently get after the QB, frustrate him, and force him into bad throws. If he can do that I'll be more than pleased with him.

Last year QBs threw for a comp.% over 65% and had a ypc of over 11.6 yards, that is rediculous and absolutely unexceptable.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #14
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101586 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883
or people that think that a guy making $54 million should produce pro-bowl numbers

it's like with Carr, we dont hate him, but he hasnt produced to match his salary./
not in his first year, can we please let this guy grow as a player
Old 05-24-2006   #15
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Quote:

It's his first year. He will live up to his $275K base salary this year. Give him some time.
Old 05-24-2006   #16
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo3883[B
]or people that think that a guy making $54 million should produce pro-bowl numbers[/b]

If we drafted Vince, he would be making alot more than that and he's not going to be putting up pro-bowl numbers in his first year or the near future, so should he be labeled a bust as well if he doesn't
Old 05-24-2006   #17
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
If we drafted Vince, he would be making alot more than that and he's not going to be putting up pro-bowl numbers in his first year or the near future, so should he be labeled a bust as well if he doesn't
#1 Mario got the highest rookie contract in history, Vince implied he would take a hometown discount to play here

#2 no one said mario would be a bust if he doesnt put up pro bowl numbers, but that he needs to perform to match his insane contract. there is nothing wrong with this statement.

#3 vince isnt expected to start his rookie year. no quarterback is. so the comparison is apples to oranges. come back in year 3 and then we can talk about a qb.
Old 05-24-2006   #18
stevo3883
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
not in his first year, can we please let this guy grow as a player
yes, in his first year. he is supposed to be a bigger better peppers, who won droy and had 12 sacks.

it isn't wrong to expect him to exceed this, being the superior prospect.
Old 05-24-2006   #19
CMoak1982
Rookie

I absolutely love the Mario pick, but I still would like to see him produce. If he gets 8 sacks and 3-6 forced fumbles, and a few tackles for a loss, this probably means the rest of our team is getting in on in too and the d backs are getting turnovers. How well he does is a big factor on how well our d does. So I would really like to see him produce. I'm not going to call him a bust if he doesn't because I think he can be special and I know it'll be hard as a rookie but didnt Peppers get 10 his rookie season and Freeney got 13 or 14 didn't he. I would like to see comparable sack numbers but if not he'll produce a better defense anyways just by being there.

Last edited by CMoak1982; 05-24-2006 at 09:48 PM.
CMoak1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
#1 Mario got the highest rookie contract in history, Vince implied he would take a hometown discount to play here

#2 no one said mario would be a bust if he doesnt put up pro bowl numbers, but that he needs to perform to match his insane contract. there is nothing wrong with this statement.

#3 vince isnt expected to start his rookie year. no quarterback is. so the comparison is apples to oranges. come back in year 3 and then we can talk about a qb.
#1 Next years #1 ovrl player will get the highest rookie contract in history, it goes up every year.

#2 your rediculous if you really think Vince would come here for any less, especially, being a QB taken #1 ovrl.

#3 your giving Young 3 years to develop, but Mario has to come in and be Reggie White from day 1, thats the reason why its not comparing apples to oranges, I was just being as unfair as you were.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read