Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-24-2006   #1
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP
Default Where's the MARIO welcome?

Number 1 pick, huge signing bonus, best defensive player,compared to legends and no parade? No party? What the he*#%# is going on here? Ok, so no Reggie and no VY.. it ain't Mario's fault! Texas and H'town have always tried to do the right thing. I am a mite embarassed over the lack of love shown this new resident. Hey MARIO, I'm glad you are one of us.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #2
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy
Number 1 pick, huge signing bonus, best defensive player,compared to legends and no parade? No party? What the he*#%# is going on here? Ok, so no Reggie and no VY.. it ain't Mario's fault! Texas and H'town have always tried to do the right thing. I am a mite embarassed over the lack of love shown this new resident. Hey MARIO, I'm glad you are one of us.
He can have dinner on me in Galveston any time he wants.
Old 05-24-2006   #3
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

The love will come once he lives up to his potential. Right now people aren't sure of what he can be. And a lot of people still haven't forgotten who we passed up Mario Williams for. I'm not anti-Mario, but I'm going to wait and see before I jump on his bandwagon.
Old 05-24-2006   #4
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade'06pick
He can have dinner on me in Galveston any time he wants.
Agreed, but I was hoping he could pick up the tab. I mean, if I score 54M, we'd have a party at my place too.

Either way I've said it a bunch already on here, but glad we made the unglamorous choice and went with an all-world defensive talent.

And ... as much as Chuck Cass' "signability" was a smokescreen at the time he said it, I am glad we have already signed him and aren't dealing with all of the off-field BS, *cough* Reggie *cough*.

Welcome, Mario.
Old 05-24-2006   #5
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer
The love will come once he lives up to his potential. Right now people aren't sure of what he can be. And a lot of people still haven't forgotten who we passed up Mario Williams for. I'm not anti-Mario, but I'm going to wait and see before I jump on his bandwagon.

That is CRUP... Because had they gotten VY or "my hammie" Bush there would have been a huge welcoming. Neither of those two have lived up to their potential.

This is not directed directly towards you, but that is so hypocritical!!! Bush tweaked his hammie STRETCHING out getting ready for practice. What is up with that. And VY is going to be sitting and "learning" hoping they have another Steve McNair project that will pan out.

MARIO WELCOME AND SMACK SOME HEADS!!! YOU ARE THE #1 PICK IN THE 2006 NFL DRAFT!!! and well deserving
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy
It's May, nobody is going to throw football parades for Mario based on closed to the public practices and a few clips on ht.com.

I see a huge welcome here...all I do is look around at how much crazy Super Mario nintendo imagery has engulfed this place and how many people have him in their ava-sigs. There is a ton of love for Mario...Am I the only one who sees this?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #7
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

He has plenty of Love from me, he is good.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2006   #8
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe we all need to have a pringles & bottled water party for our Super Mario!
Old 05-24-2006   #9
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan Blue and Orange
That is CRUP... Because had they gotten VY or "my hammie" Bush there would have been a huge welcoming. Neither of those two have lived up to their potential.

This is not directed directly towards you, but that is so hypocritical!!! Bush tweaked his hammie STRETCHING out getting ready for practice. What is up with that. And VY is going to be sitting and "learning" hoping they have another Steve McNair project that will pan out.

MARIO WELCOME AND SMACK SOME HEADS!!! YOU ARE THE #1 PICK IN THE 2006 NFL DRAFT!!! and well deserving

What you say is true. If we had picked VY or Bush they would've become instant idols in the eyes of many in Houston. I was on the Bush bandwagon and obviously I was very dissapointed that we didn't pick him. You say it is "crap" that many people are not "welcoming" Mario Williams to Houston more openely or something. None of these guys have played a down of NFL football so the only thing we can go by is their college performances and potential the scouts and sports writers talk about. So I don't know how you can say that MW is deserving of the no.1 pick when he hasn't played a down of NFL football. All I'm saying is that Mario Williams will have to earn peoples love and admiration here in Houston. It's not fair but then again life isn't fair. So until then I will hope and pray that Williams is everthying this FO has said he can be, but until then we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 05-24-2006   #10
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler

Thanks for the edit.

Last edited by Bamaborn-Texasbred; 05-24-2006 at 04:00 PM.
Bamaborn-Texasbred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #11
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
all I do is look around at how much crazy Super Mario nintendo imagery has engulfed this place and how many people have him in their ava-sigs. There is a ton of love for Mario...Am I the only one who sees this?
All true Vinny, but I THINK he was talking about the Houston folks in general. If VY and likely RB were the pick, there would have been celebrations and parties in their honors. Haven't seen ANY of that for Mario and I think that is what he was getting at.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #12
Tex Trenches
Veteran

I feel the Texans definitely made the right choice in selecting Mario #1. We all know, except for maybe Mr. Hodge, what a good defense can do for your football team. Here's to Mario Williams becoming the greatest defensive end ever!

Welcome to Houston Mr. Williams!!

Go Texans!!
Old 05-24-2006   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
All true Vinny, but I THINK he was talking about the Houston folks in general. If VY and likely RB were the pick, there would have been celebrations and parties in their honors. Haven't seen ANY of that for Mario and I think that is what he was getting at.
All of us saw those guys play many times on TV and most of us never saw Mario play. Most of us didn't see David Carr or Dunta Robinson much in College either but I don't think I see any less support for Williams as I did those other first round guys. Some questioned the Carr over Peppers strategy, some fans never wanted Dunta Robinson before the draft because they never really ever saw him play. I bet if Mario Williams was from Houston we would all be in the streets having a good time.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #14
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

...and when you start talking about any fan group "in general" you start to pull in the fringe element that is more influenced by buzz factor. Of the first three picks, Mario had far less buzz about him and almost zero visibility to the masses, hence the lack of parades down Kirby. That combined with attitudes about who wasn't drafted, results in what we have today. But I think overall, the die hards here and around town know what we have with #90 and we're pretty happy with it.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #15
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

hi mario
Old 05-24-2006   #16
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
hi mario
I wonder if Mario visits our boards If he doesn't he should I think he knows that all of us Texans fans are all excited to see him play for us this year and we could care less what the media says. Good luck this year Mario and we're very excited to see you here and not in a different team's training camp.
Old 05-24-2006   #17
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
There is a ton of love for Mario...Am I the only one who sees this?
NOPE!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #18
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll just rehash what others have said. Mario wasn't even on most of our radars until a few weeks before the draft so we don't really know who he is yet. Many of us that were pulling for Young or Bush have accepted Williams, are glad he's a Texan and happy we took him over the other 2 players. Some less avid football fans (or diehard Young/Bush fans) might still be upset that we didn't take the "hometown boy" or the "best player in the past decade". If we win and Mario is a beast, they'll accept Mario just fine.

There seems to me like there's more Mario avatars than any other player right now. There are many references about Mario in signatures as well. I'd say that Mario has been welcomed by the fanbase.
Old 05-24-2006   #19
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

There was also an official welcome mario avatar, that I had for a while before switching to next weeks gas prices..
Old 05-24-2006   #20
stevo3883
All Pro

his "welcome" is located between a few things

Mario's "welcome"

he has a lot to prove, and rightfully so

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read