Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-23-2006   #1
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default With our DE end speed

Do we need a guy like this to clog the middle.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2454101

We have had a problem with run up the middle and I wonder whether a guy like this would help. I know this is an older guy, but so is Payne and TJ hasn't been all we want. A plow like this might make it difficult for the other team particularly with someone like Mario beside him.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #2
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

He seem a little old and over the hill. Unless he signned for the minimum, I'd say we pass.
Old 05-23-2006   #3
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler

I agree. Our divisional opponents are pass first-run later type of offenses. I want to focus on beating up Manning and Leftwich when we are playing them. Not only do you want to win those games, but you want to put a few lingering bumps and bruises on them as well.
Old 05-23-2006   #4
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
He seem a little old and over the hill. Unless he signned for the minimum, I'd say we pass.
He hasn't missed a game in the last 3 years. My thing is would he fit with what we are doing defensively, then the question would be would we want to sign him. Could you imagine what Payton would be thinking if this guy was coming up the gut at him and he had Peek and Mario surging from the end positions? Oh, well, just one of those dreams I guess.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

DL should be our lowest priority at this point in time, given the resources we've got invested there.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #6
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering the running backs in our division, and the emphasis that our divison puts on passing.. id say that run defense is slightly lower on our list of "necessities". Its still very important of course, but 6 of our 16 games will be played against teams that lack an elite running back, and do not have a "run the ball" philosophy. I think we will be fine with the guys we have.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #7
texansfaninla
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 texansfaninla has been demoted to the practice squad

If the Texans did sign Wilkinson they'd have two No. 1 overall picks on the DL...Wilkinson was the top overall pick by the Bengals in '94, then traded four years later.

Yes, there is a hint of sarcasm in this post...though I've accepted the Williams selection (and still disagree with it) and will still support the team. I hope Mario is a freaking beast that puts people like Wilkinson to shame.

Last edited by texansfaninla; 05-23-2006 at 01:41 PM.
texansfaninla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-23-2006   #8
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Do we need a guy like this to clog the middle.

We have had a problem with run up the middle and I wonder whether a guy like this would help. I know this is an older guy, but so is Payne and TJ hasn't been all we want. A plow like this might make it difficult for the other team particularly with someone like Mario beside him.
I wouldn't be so quick to judge TJ. I will wait until the end of the upcoming season before I develop more of an opinion on TJ myself. The old regime did not utilize TJ and had him playing out of position.
Old 05-23-2006   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Ibar_Harry]Do we need a guy like this to clog the middle.

[QUOTE I know this is an older guy, but so is Payne and TJ hasn't been all we want. QUOTE]

I thought TJ did a good job under the circumstances last year. IMO, he fits a 4-3 scheme better and should have a breakout year under a much better coaching staff.That gives us good veteran talent and 2 1st round draft choices on our DL. Should be a much better defensive unit this year. My big worry lies with CB. Specifically PB. He might be our Achilles Heel more than any other position on the team.
Old 05-23-2006   #10
HOOK'EM
Veteran

Dont forget putting the hurt on V. Young and the option!
HOOK'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #11
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
My big worry lies with CB. Specifically PB. He might be our Achilles Heel more than any other position on the team.
P-buc is going to shut alot of mouths this season.....
Old 05-23-2006   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
P-buc is going to shut alot of mouths this season.....
I hope you're right, and I hope my mouth is one of the ones he shuts.

He's lame, IMO, and has to prove himself otherwise. Dude is a football player and can't/won't tackle. That's just pathetic.

The jury is still out with regards to his coverage abilities, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 05-23-2006   #13
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I hope you're right, and I hope my mouth is one of the ones he shuts.

He's lame, IMO, and has to prove himself otherwise. Dude is a football player and can't/won't tackle. That's just pathetic.

The jury is still out with regards to his coverage abilities, as far as I'm concerned.
I agree! How can you say it any better? He's a FOOTBALL player and the cat will NOT hit and he will NOT tackle. yeah, uhh...that kinda hurts.

How many players, after having been in the league this long, actually change stripes and become who they should become? Shouldn't that player have the 'winner' mentality at least to begin with? Pbuc just seems like a wanna-be Prime Time.

...but I hope my mouth gets nailed shut and PBUC goes nuts in 07!
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #14
real

Arrow

Now don't get me wrong.... P-buc---> ...will never eva eva eva....eva eva eva be someone you can count on in the running game.... He will make a few tackles for us....nothing to redeem himself though....BUT I think he will make a big impact on special teams as far as returning punts and some kickoffs and I still think that he can defense elite WR's in this leauge... Mark it down...I'm saying it right now...P-Buc will have a breakthrough year placing him among the top tier corners in this leauge.... he and Dunta Will Be A force to be wreckin with
Old 05-23-2006   #15
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Our DLine should be interesting to watch this year.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
Now don't get me wrong.... P-buc---> ...will never eva eva eva....eva eva eva be someone you can count on in the running game.... He will make a few tackles for us....nothing to redeem himself though....BUT I think he will make a big impact on special teams as far as returning punts and some kickoffs and I still think that he can defense elite WR's in this leauge... Mark it down...I'm saying it right now...P-Buc will have a breakthrough year placing him among the top tier corners in this leauge.... he and Dunta Will Be A force to be wreckin with
As long as P-BUC scores one more TD on a return than he gets BURNT on as a CB. The D-line is gonna rock this year. Nice article in the Chronicle on Babin today. Maybe we have a couple of Freeny types who will really shine.
Old 05-24-2006   #17
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]]
P buch might look better this year because of many factors. You cant count on him though cause he cant tackle.
And you can learn to tackle can't you. I agree that he could look better this year and if he is it will be because of many different things, not just one.
Old 05-24-2006   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
And you can learn to tackle can't you.
Tackling and holding a football are probably the first things you learn in pop warner, 'eh? Strange that he hasn't caught on by now.
Old 05-24-2006   #19
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Tackling and holding a football are probably the first things you learn in pop warner, 'eh? Strange that he hasn't caught on by now.
Looks like some sort of learning disability/handycap.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #20
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

we are entirely too deep on the defensive line to even consider anything more than training camp fodder IMO. mario, payne, robaire, babin, peek, TJ, kalu, weaver. having 4 solid starters + depth is an achievement. we're literally 2 starters deep at every position on the D-line. i'd focus anything else this and next offseason on offensive line and defensive backs.

remember what denver did last year when they upgraded their d-line. in 2004 they were 28th in takeaways, in 2005 they were 3rd. in 2004 they were 28th in rushing yards allowed, in 2005 they were 2nd. those statistics alone win divisions. we have more talent and more depth on this team, and now have the coaching to utilize it. believe me when i say that we're safe on the d-line.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read