Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-23-2006   #1
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default Mathis just doesn't get it does he?

Back in action: Jerome Mathis joined the Texans on the field Monday for the first time during the team’s fifth day of OTA workouts.

The Pro Bowl kickoff returner, who was injured in a motorcycle accident weeks ago, still is recovering from bruises and scrapes, particularly on his arms. He participated during special teams drills and also was active with the wide receivers, but it will be a few weeks before he reaches full speed again.

“I’m back out here practicing, ready to get back into it,” Mathis said. “I’m a little rusty, but that happens.”

Head coach Gary Kubiak was pleased to see Mathis on the field, but recognized it’s only the first step in a lengthy rehab process. In the meantime, he expects Mathis to log some mental reps so that he doesn’t lose any more ground, particularly on offense.

“He’s a little hobbled,” Kubiak said. “But he has some catching up to do from a receiver’s standpoint. As I told you all along, it’s important that he help this team as a wide receiver. I know he can return kicks, but he has to catch up as a wide receiver and help our football team in that capacity.”

Last year, Mathis averaged 28.6 yards per kickoff and 13.0 yards per reception on five catches with one touchdown. He’ll compete with newly acquired free agent Kevin Walter for the third wide receiver spot on the roster.

Kubiak expects Mathis to continue his role in the kicking game, but hopes that the former Hampton University star can contribute significantly on offense as well.

“When you have a great returner like himself, and he can help you in another spot on game day, that adds value to your team,” Kubiak said. “And you have to have players on your team that can do that and play dual roles. That’s what gives you flexibility on game day. I’ve told him that from the beginning.”

This is from yesterday and is on the Texan's Web Site. Sounds like Kubiak is trying to tell him something and the guy simply is not listening. This has been mentioned by a number of members. Perhaps he needs to reduce the swelling in his head so he has a helmet to fit it into, because the Texan's are short of helmets for that head size.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #2
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Umm...so he needs to expand his role beyond just KR? I don't really think it was any kind of shot at Mathis. He needs to work on his receiver skills...nothing new.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #3
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
“He’s a little hobbled,” Kubiak said. “But he has some catching up to do from a receiver’s standpoint. As I told you all along, it’s important that he help this team as a wide receiver. I know he can return kicks, but he has to catch up as a wide receiver and help our football team in that capacity.”

“When you have a great returner like himself, and he can help you in another spot on game day, that adds value to your team,” Kubiak said. “And you have to have players on your team that can do that and play dual roles. That’s what gives you flexibility on game day. I’ve told him that from the beginning.”
He makes it sound as if Mathis has to become a better WR to stay with us. I agree 100% with that with the talent we have at WR right now. David Anderson is probably a better WR than him and that puts Mathis at #6, and Kubiak doesn't want to keep one guy on the team just to be KR.
Old 05-23-2006   #4
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

It's Kubiak sending another message to the team. No one is safe and everyone is expendable.

Kinda sounds like my boss.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #5
WiiBrawler
WiiMan

Rep Power: 10 WiiBrawler is on the Pro-Bowl ballotWiiBrawler is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via MSN to WiiBrawler Send a message via Yahoo to WiiBrawler Send a message via Skype™ to WiiBrawler

I like Kubiak so far, he wants and he is expecting the players to be 100. If this keeps up, Carr will have to play well or bye bye1

Sig By Michaelm
Formerly Carr2Johnson
WiiBrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #6
wrestler4life
Veteran

I agree. Mathis is going to be a very good player and an asset to this team if he can just shut his mouth and work hard. Hopefully Andre and Moulds can beat his butt if he gets too snooty and keep him in check.
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
He makes it sound as if Mathis has to become a better WR to stay with us. I agree 100% with that with the talent we have at WR right now. David Anderson is probably a better WR than him and that puts Mathis at #6, and Kubiak doesn't want to keep one guy on the team just to be KR.
I beg to differ.

A guy like Mathis makes your team until he stops producing at the KR spot.

1. Better starting position for the offense.

2. A chance to score every time he touches the ball.

3. Better starting position for our defense if our offense stalls and punts from the mid-field area.

4. The ability to outrun DBs and catch a homerun ball for a TD or big gain.

His personality grates on the nerves of most of us (mine, at least). But you're crazy if you think no other team wouldn't scoop him up 5 minutes after being waived. They'd be waiting in line to sign him.

Again, he's no superstar yet...but he should make this team, and he shouldn't be cut just because he's not the same caliber of Moulds or AJ. We knew, and our staff knew, that he had troubles with the receiving aspect of his game. Should never have drafted him if it costs him his job....particularly after the year he had in 2005.
Old 05-23-2006   #8
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Hes young let his ego drop!
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #9
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
I beg to differ.

3. Better starting position for our defense if our offense stalls and punts from the mid-field area.

His personality grates on the nerves of most of us (mine, at least). But you're crazy if you think no other team wouldn't scoop him up 5 minutes after being waived. They'd be waiting in line to sign him.

Again, he's no superstar yet...but he should make this team, and he shouldn't be cut just because he's not the same caliber of Moulds or AJ. We knew, and our staff knew, that he had troubles with the receiving aspect of his game. Should never have drafted him if it costs him his job....particularly after the year he had in 2005.
I have a feeling with Kubiak its Mathis' attitude that is the problem. If he were out working his kister off to be a better receiver it wouldn't be a problem. Getting into a murdercycle accident after all of the stuff that has been said about Winslow makes you kind of wonder. Mathis needs to reduce the swelling in his head and that is the major problem.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I beg to differ.

No joke! Didn't Dallas say the same thing about Jimmy Smith? The article also wasn't Kubes taking a shot at Mathis. It was Kubes advising that now, while he is rehabbing, is the time to get the mental part of the offense down because he is going to be counted on heavily to produce as a WR also.

It wasn't Kubes saying, I told this dude he better get this down and he just aint cuttin' it around here.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #11
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

The problem with the time period between the NFL Draft and Training Camp is we are all searching for underlying controversy in what people are saying... trying to get the rumor mills started up again.

Sometimes when Kubiak says that mathis needs to learn the mental part of the game, it just means that Mathis needs to learn the mental part of the game.

Can't wait for camp and a chance to run the offense against live defenses.
Old 05-23-2006   #12
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just like Vermiel told D.Hall, your a great KR guy but if you want to stay on this team your going to have to becaome a better WR, and he has, he not bad.

Mathis is fine I did not take from that article anything harmful or hurtful to "Johnny", just needs to know he cant just show up on gameday and return kicks and thats it.

Not saying he does that but Kubiak is going to make sure of it.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #13
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler

I'm not at training camp, so I don't know what his true attitude and effort look like. However, talented or not, he'll get with the program or he'll be gone.
Old 05-23-2006   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Mathis needs to work on his hands. While good a KR, he's horrible at returning punts. Why? His hands. And if dude can't handle punt returns, I have little to believe that he'll be able to hold on to Carr's missile passes while running through coverage.
Old 05-23-2006   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Mathis needs to work on his hands. While good a KR, he's horrible at returning punts. Why? His hands. And if dude can't handle punt returns, I have little to believe that he'll be able to hold on to Carr's missile passes while running through coverage.
I thought it was routes????
Old 05-23-2006   #16
TFL
Veteran

Rep Power: 4909 TFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I never heard that Mathis had Bad hands(besides the bike accident). Now I heard he can not run his routes right.
TFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I could see that he doesn't have the best hands. Anyone see that Pro Bowl competition obstacle course thing where he was basically whooping people in time until he had to catch a simple pass and the ball went through his hands and then he was shown up by a punter?

There were other times in the season where he couldn't hold on to the ball.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #18
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFL
I never heard that Mathis had Bad hands(besides the bike accident). Now I heard he can not run his routes right.

This is not new news. He has talent or he would not be in the NFL. If he can develop his talent beyond KR that will be the thing to see. because if he can, Texans will IMO have the strongest 4 WR group in the league.
AJ, Moulds, Walter, Mathis = Strong, Fast, Reliable targets for Carr in 2006 and beyond.
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #19
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I beg to differ.

You are putting too much emphasis on those items due to the limited amount of roster spots. His average return is 28 yards and the average of the 32nd player is 21. So, on average Mathis gets you 7 more yards per kick. Mathis got two scores last year out of 54 returns, which is 3.7% return of kicks for TDs.

Every roster spot is very important and dual role players provide a lot more flexibility.

Having Mathis on your roster is nice but not a requirement for a Super Bowl run. His value soley as a KR guy isn't really more important than a dual purpose players that provide consistent average numbers in their dual spots.

Besides, how many guys make a career out of just doing kick returns? Mathis has to contribute as a WR or he will probably be out of the league or hoping from team to team trying to make the cut as a fast kick returner. There are always going to guys coming out of the draft that are about as fast and have the prospect of becoming a receiver. That is what he will be competing against.

Bottom line, it is hard for anyone to sell themselves as just as KR in the NFL.

I would rather have an average kick returner (22 yds) that provides solid 3rd and 4th WR spots.

It is the little, non exciting things, that make a team very successful and run for the Super Bowl.

Last edited by hollywood_texan; 05-23-2006 at 03:51 PM.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #20
trane
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Back in action: Jerome Mathis joined the Texans on the field Monday for the first time during the team’s fifth day of OTA workouts.

The Pro Bowl kickoff returner, who was injured in a motorcycle accident weeks ago, still is recovering from bruises and scrapes, particularly on his arms. He participated during special teams drills and also was active with the wide receivers, but it will be a few weeks before he reaches full speed again.

“I’m back out here practicing, ready to get back into it,” Mathis said. “I’m a little rusty, but that happens.”

Head coach Gary Kubiak was pleased to see Mathis on the field, but recognized it’s only the first step in a lengthy rehab process. In the meantime, he expects Mathis to log some mental reps so that he doesn’t lose any more ground, particularly on offense.

Last year, Mathis averaged 28.6 yards per kickoff and 13.0 yards per reception on five catches with one touchdown. He’ll compete with newly acquired free agent Kevin Walter for the third wide receiver spot on the roster.

Kubiak expects Mathis to continue his role in the kicking game, but hopes that the former Hampton University star can contribute significantly on offense as well.

This is from yesterday and is on the Texan's Web Site. Sounds like Kubiak is trying to tell him something and the guy simply is not listening. This has been mentioned by a number of members. Perhaps he needs to reduce the swelling in his head so he has a helmet to fit it into, because the Texan's are short of helmets for that head size.
Has anyone noticed that good kick/punt return specialists don't have long term success like they use to. I think the last guy to do so was Brian Mitchell. It seems that every year some guys breaks a few long ones and disppears. Once people start game planning...it's over. For that reason, Mathis needs to be a better receiver.
trane is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read