Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-22-2006   #1
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle
Default Jonathan Wells

Is he officially gone or still with the team?

If he is gone, I wish him the best, he was a great player for us and worked hard to prove his roster spot.

If he is still here, COOL!
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #2
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

gone, was released a month or so ago.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #3
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

dang, thank you for responding.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Technically he was not released. His contract expired and he became an UFA.
Old 05-22-2006   #5
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

We can sign him through free agency still, so not all hope is lost, but we already have 4 solid RBs and we don't really need him.
Old 05-22-2006   #6
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
We can sign him through free agency still, so not all hope is lost, but we already have 4 solid RBs and we don't really need him.
Wells helped the Texans win half of their games last year. In the two games he started, he rushed for more than 80 yards and in the game against Arizona he added two TDs and 33 receiving yards. I would say he shouldn't have been released and probably is better than at least half of the backs the Texans currently have.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #7
Sportsfan
All Pro

Where was he picked up?
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-23-2006   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I still haven't heard of him signing with anyone else.
El Tejano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #9
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler

I'll always have a special place in my heart for guys who were here the first season, but it is time for Wells to move on. The best thing he gets for his time served here is the NFL's pension plan. Players who are on rosters for 4 full seasons qualify for it. He deserves it. He played hard when he was given the chance. He just doesn't belong on a team that is trying to pull itself out of the cellar.
Old 05-23-2006   #10
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have never heard of the NFL pension plan. What does it include? Just curious about the details. On another note, I too wish Wells the best and thought he deserved to play. He gave it his best and would play whatever position he was needed at, you really can't ask for much more than that.
Old 05-23-2006   #11
Rightnow
Veteran

I think Wells was one of the best special team players on the squad but I don't think he is a starter in the league. I think he is a good backup and situational back. I know that a couple of seasons he admitted to not working out hard enough and being in football shape. It was the first time DD was out and he had to come in. I wonder what kind of shape he was in when Kubiak saw him? I'm not saying that was why he was let go, but he did have a history.

I like that he did whatever was asked of him too and a good special teams player is valuable. I hope someone picks him up, but the fact that they haven't makes me wonder.

I know he took something like 50 family members from NO during Katrina.
Old 05-23-2006   #12
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler

I don't have any details on it. I knew a guy who was a really good friend of Eric Hill. Eric played 11 or 12 NFL seasons mostly with the Cardinals. He was drafted out of LSU, and he played his high school ball in my home town of Galveston.

He told us once that an NFL player hits his first big milestone when he qualifies for the pension plan after 4 seasons.

I didn't ask a whole bunch of questions. I could have been distracted by Eric's mammoth size, charisma, and the kung fu grip he put on my hand when he shook it.
Old 05-23-2006   #13
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would imagine that the pension is the millions of dollars they already made. It would take me just over 15 years to make a million dollars, not including my wife's income. So, if I made 10 million for 5 years of work, I'd be a happy camper and wouldn't need a pension plan to get me through retirement. One can only dream
Old 05-23-2006   #14
Rightnow
Veteran

Yeah, the NFL pension program is actually pretty good from what I understand. I don't think most players are getting rich from it, but they can at least survive. The old time players from over 30 years ago don't get very much, but the newer players do okay.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read