Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-22-2006   #1
humbleone
Veteran

Default Where is TJ when the season begins?

As has been noted often, those of us who love the Texans find out more from the "wired in" members of the MB than the Chronicle's version of a sports section. So... where do you guys see TJ depth chart wise when the season opens?
humbleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I see him behind Payne when the season starts but given Payne's injury history I see him starting somewhere by midseason due to an injured Payne but it basically just speeds up the process of his eventual replacement of Payne. I also see that he looks like a first rounder with the help from the DEs.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #3
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 32564 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

On the bench, again.

With the Texans trying to get Peak, Babin, playing time by moving Weaver to the inside, and Payne and Smith already starting ahead of TJ, could be another long unproductive year for our boy.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Wired it on not, I'll answer:

I think he is fourth on the DT list. Depending on the rotations, schemes, injuries and his performance when given opportunities, he may not get a lot of playing time.
Old 05-22-2006   #5
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 9843 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

He'll be in the rotation.
Old 05-22-2006   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that the 16th pick in the first round better be fighting for a starters position . You think that TJ should be about to pass Payne ( who 's best at NT ) up .

Last year TJ was out of position , while at FSU another DT named Bunkley did'nt get any noteriety because of TJ . This year Bunkley was the 14th pick in the draft .

Bottom line is Travis Johnson is a good prospect . He's a quick DT with decent size and he scored a 26 on his wonderlich .
Old 05-22-2006   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 229246 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
I see him behind Payne when the season starts but given Payne's injury history I see him starting somewhere by midseason due to an injured Payne but it basically just speeds up the process of his eventual replacement of Payne. I also see that he looks like a first rounder with the help from the DEs.
Payne has had one significant injury in the last 7 seasons and has played in 16 games out of 16 6 of the last 7 seasons. People are way too fast to slap injury tags on players.
Old 05-22-2006   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Johnson as the 3rd DT. I see him behind Payne and Robaire Smith, but ahead of Babin.

Last edited by TexanSam; 05-22-2006 at 06:46 PM.
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #9
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 9843 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I'll give you a chance to edit it before I rag on you.
Old 05-22-2006   #10
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he will be 1 of 3 starters at DT. The rotation will be so quick, all thee will look like starters.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing you can't do is count TJ out . He was going to be a 1st round draft choice in 2005 by someone and its not fair to pencil him in as another one of CC and company's screw ups . Give him a year under Smith and see .
Old 05-22-2006   #12
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler
Default Depth a Good not Bad Thing

Depth on the D Line is fantastic.

When the opposing team's offensive line is starting to wear down in the fourth quarter our D line will still be fresh and fast! Look out Peyton! Look out Leftwich! Talk about two quarterbacks that run in concrete shoes on mollasses (sp?).

This season is going to be so much fun to watch. I'm finally going to get my money's worth on my season tickets. I am absolutely dying to see a game.
Old 05-22-2006   #13
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
I see Payne 3rd on the DT. I see him behind Payne and Robaire Smith, but ahead of Babin.

huh ???
Old 05-22-2006   #14
HeartofHouston
Veteran

Personally I think that Johnson is better for us than Payne.. Johnson is quicker and more intense than Payne.. Him and RoBear could be a comple NIGHTMARE on the inside.. and combine that with the fire that Peek brings and add the freakish ability of Mario Williams.

Johnson was completely out of place in our 3-4 defense. Give him a shot in the 4-3 where instead of 5 Olinemen vs 3 D-Linemen.. It's 5 vs 4. So Somebody is gonna get a double team and somebody is gonna be 1 on 1. And with those 4 I would love to see how O-Linemen are gonna handle it...
Old 05-22-2006   #15
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 411 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Travis would not hurt at all if he could gain some weight, or just get bigger, he could put on 10 or 15 lbs, would not hurt. He looked like he was not strong enough at times or the olineman were just a little too fast for him last season and got into his pads first and could not get his leverage back.

Or maybe he was not sure where to be and was thinking too much.

I think he is good and will benifit a lot from the new 4-3 and the Super Freak next to him.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #16
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 411 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofHouston
Personally I think that Johnson is better for us than Payne.. Johnson is quicker and more intense than Payne.. Him and RoBear could be a comple NIGHTMARE on the inside.. and combine that with the fire that Peek brings and add the freakish ability of Mario Williams.

Johnson was completely out of place in our 3-4 defense. Give him a shot in the 4-3 where instead of 5 Olinemen vs 3 D-Linemen.. It's 5 vs 4. So Somebody is gonna get a double team and somebody is gonna be 1 on 1. And with those 4 I would love to see how O-Linemen are gonna handle it...
Now yes, before Payne hurt his knee NO way.

Payne was one of the best in the NFL at run stuffing before he hurt his knee, I used to watch him blow up centers and get in the back field and change the rbs direction many times. He may not have gotten the tackle but he had plenty RBs change the hole they were going to.

AND I always wanted to say that Gary Walker when he wanted to play and blow somebody up, nobody could block this guy.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #17
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
huh ???
Whoops. I meant, I see Johnson 3rd on the DT depth chart. Behind Payne and Smith, but ahead of Babin.
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #18
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 44792 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Way ahead of Babin giving that Babin is an End.

I think TJ will start. Payne is a solid defender but doesn't have the burst that TJ. Payne is better suited to a 3-4 nose tackle I think, or a running downs defender. Our O-Line has got to generate pressure for our defense to work and I think that TJ and Smith are the best at doing that....
Old 05-22-2006   #19
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder how tired those big guys get running on and off the field. That seems like a good bit of running if we are going to have a really frequent rotation, and it seems like that would lessen the advantage. I wonder what the happy medium is? Is it stupid to think running over 25 yards every 4 or 5 plays would be in itself fatiguing?
UberDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #20
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberDork
I wonder how tired those big guys get running on and off the field. That seems like a good bit of running if we are going to have a really frequent rotation, and it seems like that would lessen the advantage. I wonder what the happy medium is? Is it stupid to think running over 25 yards every 4 or 5 plays would be in itself fatiguing?
I could see your concern for the situation but your forgetting the rest they will get as our new offense with AJ, E-Mo, DD, Putz, and Carr moving the rock down the field killing clock, gaining yards, and putting up points.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read