Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-22-2006   #1
fastpitchwoof
Rookie

Default I Like this Team

I don't know if it is the usual post draft pre pre season optimism or if it is real, but I like the way this team is shaping up. We certainly are not super bowl contenders this year. You can't fix a team that quick but I do believe that we COULD threaten to make the playoffs. I won't be crushed if we don't but I do think we will be much better than last year.

I think the new coaching staff and the off-season signings of solid players coupled with a very good draft paves the way for success in a couple of years. I don't think we should be disappointed and panic if we only win 4 games this year. If the losses add up but we are playing well then that is ok. As long as we are competitive this year I can live with the losses. Then next year we should be ready for a real playoff push. By then, this year's draft will take hold and we should see the development of the young guys and Kubiak's system.

We had too many holes to fix in 1 year to hope for immediate success, but we should see improvement. I already see improvement in the roster and will only get better next year. Then we can draft for best athlete available instead of multiple immediate needs at many different positions.

Old 05-22-2006   #2
fastpitchwoof
Rookie

One more thing I'd like to praise about the Texans. Our running back situation is a good one if you use the Denver system as a model. We did not give into temptation to draft Bush (although he is a tremendous talent). His style does not fit the Denver scheme of 1 cut and go. Bush throws down multiple moves (a la Barry Sanders) then out jukes a defender and then goes. Would he have been successful here? Probably but other backs will fit the system better.

If Mario is as good as they say and Bush is as good as they say, Mario is still the best choice in the long run. RBs don't last as long as DEs because of the pounding that RBs take. So Mario for 10-12 years is a better investment than Bush for 7-9 years. Of coarse both could be a bust but the draft is always full of those who should be good but aren't and those who are steals in the later rounds.
Old 05-22-2006   #3
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with the optimism. The reason everyone is always optimistic after a bad season is because of the parity that the NFL developed to allow more teams to have a chance.

Super Bowl isn't likely, but not impossible.

Playoffs are possible but not too likely.

However, teams rebound emensely every year, so there's plenty of reason to look forward to next season.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

It also can't get any worse because 2-14 feels like 0-16.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #5
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
It also can't get any worse because 2-14 feels like 0-16.
Considering we were a Phillip Buchanon tip from being 1-15, I don't think that is a big stretch.
Old 05-22-2006   #6
fastpitchwoof
Rookie

The 1st step we need to take is make Reliant the second coming of the "House of Pain." We need to get nasty and put teams away when we get them down. If Reliant can become a place that other teams fear (Mile High Stadium, Oakland Alameda Coloseum of the 70's, Lambeau Field etc.) then we can establish home field dominance and that will translate into playoff teams.
Old 05-22-2006   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Considering we were a Phillip Buchanon tip from being 1-15, I don't think that is a big stretch.
P-Buc: Game Saver
Old 05-22-2006   #8
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Is this team better than the 2004 7-9 team? In my mind, yes.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpitchwoof
The 1st step we need to take is make Reliant the second coming of the "House of Pain." We need to get nasty and put teams away when we get them down. If Reliant can become a place that other teams fear (Mile High Stadium, Oakland Alameda Coloseum of the 70's, Lambeau Field etc.) then we can establish home field dominance and that will translate into playoff teams.
It is possible.

I was at the Big 12 Championship game this year in a stadium full of mostly Texas fans. Everybody had their gear on. And the club level people were mostly in their seats. And it was earbleedingly loud even though the game got outta hand quickly and was basically over soon after it started.

And I thought, when the Texans start really winning, it is going to be like that. And I can't wait.

It's been too long since it has been really rocking in there. I am ready again.
Old 05-22-2006   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well...we can scream and create a hostile environment all we want...BUT, if they don't win, it'll just be a "House of Shame".

Win, and fans will react. ...and then teams will have reasons to fear our homefield.

Otherwise, it's just a handful of hardcore and/or drunk fans screaming and yelling about how bad our football team sucks. At least, that was my experience staying until 0:00 during all of our home games last year.
Old 05-22-2006   #11
titan hater
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Well...we can scream and create a hostile environment all we want...BUT, if they don't win, it'll just be a "House of Shame".

Win, and fans will react. ...and then teams will have reasons to fear our homefield.

Otherwise, it's just a handful of hardcore and/or drunk fans screaming and yelling about how bad our football team sucks. At least, that was my experience staying until 0:00 during all of our home games last year.

I resemble that remark...
Old 05-22-2006   #12
Texans51
waterboy

Yeah i can't wait either. Last season was so depressing the only time the crowd ever got into it was when we barely tipped that pass to beat the Browns. What sucked last year was the the texans offered no excitment, except when Mathis was returning kicks. This year with new staff and players i think reliant will actually have something to cheer about!
Texans51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #13
WiiBrawler
WiiMan

Rep Power: 11 WiiBrawler is on the Pro-Bowl ballotWiiBrawler is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via MSN to WiiBrawler Send a message via Yahoo to WiiBrawler Send a message via Skype™ to WiiBrawler

Quote:
Consider this, last year the Astros were 36-17 when the Minute Maid Park Roof was closed,15-11 when it was open. What does that tell you, it tells you when the roof is closed, we gotta cheer as loud as we can when they make a good play, If we get loud, they cant call the plays very well.

Lets Scream Loud and Proud!

Sig By Michaelm
Formerly Carr2Johnson
WiiBrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #14
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans51
Yeah i can't wait either. Last season was so depressing the only time the crowd ever got into it was when we barely tipped that pass to beat the Browns. What sucked last year was the the texans offered no excitment, except when Mathis was returning kicks. This year with new staff and players i think reliant will actually have something to cheer about!
It was sad last year when people were hoping the other team would score just so we see Mathis return a kick... personally, I'd rather only see Mathis return 1 kick per game.
Old 05-22-2006   #15
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I have a lot of optimism this year but last year we all had the same thing. I think it is obvious right now that our team is a lot better than last year's, but still, we might just think our team is better than it actually is because we're biased. I think it's a good sign that people are starting to notice the strides that our team has made so far.
Old 05-22-2006   #16
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the way this team is shaping up also. The only concern for me is the secondary. Faggins or Buchanan isn't exactly the best option for your 2nd CB. Hopefully they all step up their game though. Every other position (except for O-Line) we don't have any glaring weaknesses. O-line, it remains to be seen. Yes, new coaching should help, along with the addition of Salaam, Winston, Spencer, and Flanagan, but with our O-line being terrible all four years, I'll wait until I actually see how they play.
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #17
HeartofHouston
Veteran

I like the way that the team is turning out also. We added a great DE and VERY smart LB in the draft to go with a good CB in D-Rob.

We added a solid TE with Putzier and a great #2 reciever in Eric Moulds. And finally the wekest part of the team just got better.

Salaam played with Kube before so his learning curve is a lot shorter than the rest of our linemen. Winston could have been a top 15 pick barring the injury that he suffered. Spencer is a BIG mountain of a man with good quickness. Flanagan is a veteran and will provide LOTs of leadership to a line that is in dying need of it. Pitts is versatile and could end up starting.

Carr can now roll out of the pocket and see more of the field. We have a wide variety of running backs that will get a long look at cause as we all know Kube's zone blocking system can turn anybody into a star (ei - Orlandis Gary).

I'm excited about the new system coming.. Good Luck Texans..
Old 05-22-2006   #18
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
I like the way this team is shaping up also. The only concern for me is the secondary. Faggins or Buchanan isn't exactly the best option for your 2nd CB. Hopefully they all step up their game though. Every other position (except for O-Line) we don't have any glaring weaknesses. O-line, it remains to be seen. Yes, new coaching should help, along with the addition of Salaam, Winston, Spencer, and Flanagan, but with our O-line being terrible all four years, I'll wait until I actually see how they play.
I am excited for the team also, but want to be fair. I am a little uneasy about RB position. Unless DD can prove to be healthy for an extended period of time, our RB will play to the level of their experience.

There is not much natural game breaking talent in the RB position.

DD: gets dinged up easily, and it usually is in the leg area. I think he is extremely talented and could be Pro Bowler if he remains healthy. Hasn't proven he can do so.

Morency: Extremely unproven at the pro level. We don't know what we have here, but we hope that he is valuable. To me, he is the KEY to the running game this year. He must step up and take pressure off of DD in the running and pass catching game.

A. Smith: Veteran, no speed, between the tackles. Not an everydown back but good for short yardage. If DD is hurt, he'll get us 2.5 to 3.5 YPcarry.

Lundy: 6th round pick - rarely does a 6th rounder turn into a starter, or is able to be a starter in the NFL.

With Kubiak, I think he runs to setup the pass, but we don't know, a few times last year he passed to setup the run (against NE in the playoffs I think). That said, I would feel a little more at ease with another RB in year to replace A. Smith. Not a big fan of that signing.
Old 05-22-2006   #19
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

heres why im optimistic this year, the 3 main problems i saw last year were:
1) no pass rush
2) no real reciever options other than johnson or davis
3) not enough time for carr to let the plays/routes develop. (o-line protection)

i think we adressed every problem in the offseason
1) switching to the 4-3 and mario and kalu should generate the pressure we need. plus the new linebackers will allow babin and peek to become the pass rushers they can be.

2) i wish jabar gaffney would have worked out, but i believe he actually hurt the team by hanging on to him as long as we did. eric moulds, and putzier will give carr the other options he didnt have last year.

3) salaam, spencer and winston will not only strengthen our o-line, but will give it something we have never had, some consistency. we have tried to juggle 7 linemen at 4 positions since day one. trying to plug in here, patch over there, no one can be their best when they dont even know what postion they play.

we all know the arm that carr has, yes im very excited about the possiblities for this year. im not gonna say super bowl, or even playoffs, but i think a winning season is possible. and a defense that by the end of the year, will demand respect.
TK_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #20
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
One more thing I'd like to praise about the Texans. Our running back situation is a good one if you use the Denver system as a model. We did not give into temptation to draft Bush (although he is a tremendous talent). His style does not fit the Denver scheme of 1 cut and go. Bush throws down multiple moves (a la Barry Sanders) then out jukes a defender and then goes. Would he have been successful here? Probably but other backs will fit the system better.

If Mario is as good as they say and Bush is as good as they say, Mario is still the best choice in the long run. RBs don't last as long as DEs because of the pounding that RBs take. So Mario for 10-12 years is a better investment than Bush for 7-9 years. Of coarse both could be a bust but the draft is always full of those who should be good but aren't and those who are steals in the later rounds.
The Texans RB situation is a good one for one reason and one reason alone -- Dominick Davis. Heck, he was good using the "Houston system" long before Kubiak came here.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read