Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-21-2006   #1
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34587 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default L.A. approves improvements to lure NFL team

-- The Los Angeles City Council voted to spend $25 million on improvements around the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in hopes of luring an NFL team back to the city.

Under the plan, the city Community Redevelopment Agency would issue $25 million in bonds for street widening, site clearing and other work near the Coliseum, which would be paid for by expected tax revenue from the stadium.

In coming years, the city estimates it could spend up to $121 million more for additional transit and other improvements, which would also be funded by stadium taxes.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9449864

Old 05-21-2006   #2
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

What's the short list of teams that could be moving? Or would it be an expansion?

The only team I am aware of is NO.
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I read somewhere that s.d is having trouble financing a new stadium and rumor's floated that they moved north
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006   #4
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

SD
NO
Buffalo
Minnesota (their contract for a new place was cancelled, IIRC)
Jacksonville

That's what I remember
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006   #5
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

I was going to make a thread and "Who's going to draw the black bean" poll after this broke. I still might do it, but I stopped when I couldn't find the attendance data for all 32 teams ( recent and up to date ).

San Diego - ( mayor told the Chargers to shop around, we broke )
New Orleans
Minnesota - ( stadium deal lost this year )

Look to be the hot teams

http://www.forbes.com/2005/09/09/sai...909saints.html
The conlcusion of this story stands true for all small market teams... which is why the Vikings are on the hot list. If the owner moves, he gets a re-done stadium and stands to make an easy 400 million on franchise worth alone.

http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/
( for reference of current and future stadium deals )

The Jets/Giants stadium takes the Jets off the list. Unless they can reneg their contract with the Giants

Arizona is not going anywhere, new stadium opens up this year.

Cowdookie and Jones, INC. don't stand to make any money by moving to L.A., plus they got Arlington to build them a new one.

Same deal for the Colts... 2008 new park! And the best part is that it's all grass. The worse part is that Reliant might lose some of it's luster. Won't know until the others open up though.
---

Don't be surprised IF

Rams - If Georgia passes on. ( the Last Dome and she signed Washington's kid... talk about the cronys )
Raiders - If 400 and 6 + three lawsuits pan out
Bills - If Ralph Wilson passes on
Tampa Bay North Jaguars - They talk a lot, but there isn't much invested in the Gator bowl or Jacksonville. Plus they only have like three paying customers... and they show up here half the time.
Old 05-21-2006   #6
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

How many teams does California need? They have plenty of baseball teams there too. Jeez, I think they're getting greedy. Why don't they give a state without a team a team. I just think the state of California already has enough teams for there fans to see. They have hollywood and are stuffed with sports teams.
Old 05-22-2006   #7
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 11712 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Currently, I think it's SD in front with NO close behind. SD currently would win out as LA could mostly associate with them and LA tends to like their teams winning. Well, most cities do - but I think LA moreso.

I don't think Minn. (mainly since they just sold to a local guy - right?) and I can't see "LA Vikings".

I think Raidahs is gonna stay put, Al's got his heels in. Buffalo haven't heard much on and Jacksonville just went through a tiff with the stadium owner's.

Whomever it may be - sucks for the soon to be "previous NFL city". Also, AHnold is off his rocker if he's thinking LA will get two NFL teams.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-22-2006   #8
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have lived in LA for four years. Born and raised in Texas and proud Houston Texans season ticketholder.

From what I have seen here in my short time, it would be tough for an NFL team to be in LA.

First, where do you put it? The Coliseum isn't really in a nice part of town and the Rose Bowl is really hard to get to.

Second, there is no fan base here that is clamouring for a team. It's basically a bunch of politicians and the NFL that want this.

Third, there is too much to do and a fragmented city. It's tough to get 60,000 people in this town to agree or go to one event, much less on a regular basis.

Fourth, when the Raiders play in LA, it will be a neutral site because there are still a lot die hard Raider Nation nuts out here.

What is fascinating is that both LA teams that left went to smaller markets.

LA is a tough town if you want to draw 50,000 to 60,000 to event on a consistent basis.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Do you mean to say that Los Angelas has approved the spending of an entire $25 million to fix streets and other infrastructure near their old stadium. Wow, I'm just speechless that they would go to such great lengths to "lure" the NFL back into town. I'm amazed that the league hasn't already awarded them a team (or two even) with a whopping $25 million dollar committment on the table.

Honestly guys the entire subject of Los Angelas getting an NFL team disgusts me. Those people are barely willing to lift a finger to get a team and yet the NFL will do anything to put one there. I just don't get it. I don't see how the NFL is stronger with a team in the one city that cares nothing about the NFL. I understand that they're this enormous TV market but I don't think they watch much football either.

They don't go to it, won't pay for it, refuse to put forth any effort to get it back, and yet will still end up stealing a team from some deserving fans in another city. In terms of the NFL I hate L.A. I just hate it.
Old 05-22-2006   #10
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

yah.. pretty sad that a city as huge and profitable as L.A. isnt willing to actually put some effort into getting a team. They should already have a new stadium under construction imo.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 213437 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Do you mean to say that Los Angelas has approved the spending of an entire $25 million to fix streets and other infrastructure near their old stadium. Wow, I'm just speechless that they would go to such great lengths to "lure" the NFL back into town. I'm amazed that the league hasn't already awarded them a team (or two even) with a whopping $25 million dollar committment on the table.

Honestly guys the entire subject of Los Angelas getting an NFL team disgusts me. Those people are barely willing to lift a finger to get a team and yet the NFL will do anything to put one there. I just don't get it. I don't see how the NFL is stronger with a team in the one city that cares nothing about the NFL. I understand that they're this enormous TV market but I don't think they watch much football either.

They don't go to it, won't pay for it, refuse to put forth any effort to get it back, and yet will still end up stealing a team from some deserving fans in another city. In terms of the NFL I hate L.A. I just hate it.
I agree with everything you said, Herv. I've been disgusted with the process ever since our experience with the Texans. The NFL had a "done deal" with Bob McNair, but still gave L.A. chance after chance to give the NFL anything (fortunately this $25million deal hadn't been approved, yet, or we wouldn't have a team right now!).

For the life of me, I can't find even one shred of evidence that L.A. deserves an NFL team. Outside of League and local politicians' offices, nobody seems to care about football in Lala-land. Shouldn't the fact that they lost two teams already say something about their apathetic attitude?!
Old 05-22-2006   #12
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully, our new commish won't have the same attitude as Tag. I hope that when Tag goes, the idea of placing a team in LA goes with him. I also hope the idea of putting a team in Mexico, China, NZ, Iraq goes out the door with him also! JMO!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #13
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4toZ
I don't think Minn. (mainly since they just sold to a local guy - right?) and I can't see "LA Vikings".

I think Raidahs is gonna stay put, Al's got his heels in. Buffalo haven't heard much on and Jacksonville just went through a tiff with the stadium owner's.

Whomever it may be - sucks for the soon to be "previous NFL city". Also, AHnold is off his rocker if he's thinking LA will get two NFL teams.
Wilf is from New Jersey... so I don't think he has any hardcore love for the Minnesota Vikings ( plus he was a hardcore Giants fan, might still be down inside )
http://www.njjewishnews.com/njjn.com...sZygiWilf.html

If they moved the franchise, I would expect the NFL to either "retire" the Vikings as they did the Oilers or leave the Vikings in Minnesota as they did the Browns. Supposedly Cleveland got to keep their team because of their "old NFL" roots and the Houston gets the shaft because we are "AFL people".

Sometimes I feel like the Civil War was never really over...

The other owners like Landis are from New York also. Fowler "the black guy" is the only odd ball at the oval table, not even sure where he is from? Arizona? Doubt it... I don't think anybody is "from" Arizona ( too hot and dusty for sex and babies, I guess ).

Anyway a point to be made: The Wilf's and Fowler did not really want the Minnesota Vikings, they really wanted an NFL team and that one just happened to be on the market.

( this of course does not mean that Wilf's are not interested in Minnesota, it just means that they don't have a record of loyalty to Minnesota or the Vikings. )
----

This is the primary reason I got love for the Texans. McNair wasn't just trying to get an NFL team, he was trying to bring a sports franchise to Houston. It just happened that he was able to score an NFL franchise. That commitment to the community is what endears him to me.

I think if he would've lost the original bid for #32, he would have been back at it for #33. I don't think he would have moved to Minnesota or LA just to own an NFL team. Houston came first... that makes him a stand up Texan.
Old 05-22-2006   #14
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

appears that San Antonio is out of the running!

Who would want to put an NFL team in the Alamobarn?

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #15
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just another point to my experiences here in LA. I live in Hollywood and go to sports bars to watch the NFL or any other sport. Every one at the place is going for their own team and it seems from where ever they are from. I don't see people dropping their team for some other team here in LA, particularly one that moved here, say the Vikings. No one there wants or talks about getting a team. Just my small observation.

I may be wrong, but I think any team moved here is going to have a hard time. They are going to have to win quickly and have an expensive marketing campaign, otherwise no one will care.

Who cares if you are in the biggest market if you can't make enough sales.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #16
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 75779 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be a little sweet revenge if its Jacksonville. They put us throught the ringer trying to take the Oilers. I hope at least the owner uses the possibility of a move as leverage to give the people there a taste of their own medicine.3

No, I never forgive or forget.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read