Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-19-2006   #1
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Smash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVP
Cool Texan fans will suffer with each Reggie run...

As a Texan fan. Here's what I fear will happen at the start of the NFL season...

The first week of the NFL. Reggie Bush will make one or two great runs in his first game. And this alone will make the Texans look like NFL-DRAFT-FOOLS! And every "great" run (more than 10 yards) will solidify in the minds of NFL fans everywhere that Reggie Bush is the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ. And even if the Saints lose each game it wont matter. Because people will be only looking at the one or two ESPN-highlight runs and blowing them out of proportion. All it takes is one or two great runs. That's it. This is how flash works. Each and every great run that Reggie Bush does will be a thorn in the side of every Texan fan. But don't fret...

Quietly. Slowly but surely, Mario Williams will be making improvements. But since it's not flashy. A sack wont have the same impact as single 15 yard run. It's not fair. I know. But we'll have to deal with it.

Fast forward to week seven. And that's when things start to change. Defenses will adjust and make life a little worse for Reggie Bush. Don't be surprised if Bush get hurt mid-season. One of my co-workers (a Detroit Lion's fan for 20 years) suggested this might happen and that Reggie Bush would finish the season with around 800-900 yards rushing. We've also had many talks about Barry Sanders comparison to Reggie Bush. After many hours of debate regarding Barry Sanders, Reggie Bush and Emmitt Smith (touchy subject among Lion fans) -- our conclusion is that Reggie Bush will not be like Barry Sanders. But more like Marcus Allen. Although, not identical. Two weaknesses that both Barry and Reggie share is that they aren't very good at breaking the tackle. Allen was better at this. Barry was better at behind the scrimmage runs/short cuts and change in direction. While Bush is better at open field runs and misdirection. Allen could do more power runs. Even though he had a great mid-field running skills. So, I see Reggie Bush following in the footsteps of Allen more than Sanders. Also note that Bush has excellent hands for receiving, like Allen. Sanders was a good at receiving. But certainly not as good as Marcus Allen (nor Bush).

I think that the suggestions (by Michael Irvin) that Texans are like Portland in that they passed on Jordan and took Sam Bowie in the 1984 NBA draft...is a crap comparison. For one, Reggie Bush is NOT the same level of player of Jim Brown much less Michael Jordan. That's how good Reggie would have to be to be even be considered an NFL version of "Jordan." Even Emmitt Smith or Walter Payton didn't have the same impact on the NFL as Jordan had on the NBA (and more). And since when does an 11-man offensive roster (NFL) equal a 5-man line-up(NBA)? A single player has much more effect on the 5-man NBA line-up than one does on an NFL line-up. Nevertheless, the more people compare Reggie Bush to Jordan the higher the expectations will be. Can you say Harold Miner, Jerry Stackhouse, or Isaiah Rider? I say, good. Keep up with the Jordan comparisons.

Like I said before. Reggie Bush will not be a flop (Ki-Jana Carter/Tim Biakabutuka/Tyrone Wheatley/Rashaan Salaam). He'll be an all-around great TB. But each spectacular run will just be hard to take for Texan fans. Just be patient. We're trying to build a championship. Not a ESPN-highlight.

P.S. It's better that the Texans follow a team-building plan like Baltimore Ravens/New England Patriots rather than what the Detroit Lions did.

Last edited by Smash_Mouth_Mario; 05-19-2006 at 02:57 AM.
Smash_Mouth_Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #2
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry man, I see where your headed with your comparison, but I totally disagree.
Marcus Allen is widely accepted as one of the games best ever goal line/short yardage backs. I have a hard time believing Bush will ever be more than a shakey Rb in short yardage or goal line situations.

I do agree with some of your other points, but wonder... who are you speaking of when you say "our conclusion is that..."? who besides you is included in 'our' in your statement? Not trying to be a smart a@@... just wondered who else you're referring to...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #3
Wordem
Veteran

That's not the one you're going to regret not taking.
Wordem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #4
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Smash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm
Sorry man, I see where your headed with your comparison, but I totally disagree.
Marcus Allen is widely accepted as one of the games best ever goal line/short yardage backs. I have a hard time believing Bush will ever be more than a shakey Rb in short yardage or goal line situations.

I do agree with some of your other points, but wonder... who are you speaking of when you say "our conclusion is that..."? who besides you is included in 'our' in your statement? Not trying to be a smart a@@... just wondered who else you're referring to...
I've clarified in bold above.
Smash_Mouth_Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #5
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I really don't care what the media say, I lost my remaining respect for them years ago. If Bush does well, good for him, but for me all that matters (football being a team sport) is the end result, the season.
Old 05-19-2006   #6
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I don't see the Eastern Sports Propaganda Network as an unbiased source of reporting so I will make my own opinions of players based on what they are actually doing instead of basing opinions on who my favorite team is.

BTW Here is a scenario: there are two minutes in the game and Indy is down to the Texans by a TD. It's 4th and 8. A known passing down (especially now that Edge is gone), Mario Williams sacks Manning. That can be just as exciting as a 60 yard-TD. IMHO So please don't be so down on Mario.
Old 05-19-2006   #7
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler
Default Reggie's Hammy

I hope Reggie blows his hammy so I don't have to read or see any more about him. No use crying over spilled milk.

I believe Mario and Reggie both are going to show you the Texans made the right choice. I'm going to leave you with one of my favorite quotes I saw on this message board:

"No NFL team plays at the Rose Bowl."
Old 05-19-2006   #8
tex
Veteran

It's time to move on and stop the fuss about Reggie.All the talk about him isn't going to make him a Texan.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #9
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Worry about things you can control, like whether to walk around with a dark cloud over your head - or not.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #10
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I understand what you are saying, I tape NFL live and Reggie is the only player they even talk about.

Reggie is a Media darling and I wish him the best and hope he has a long fruitfull NFL career.

What does Brown, LT, Sanders, Williams, Thomas, Johnson, Holmes, and Alexander all have in common? No rings. Sweetness would be on the list if it wasen't for the 85 Bears D. Bettis would be too if it wasen't for the Steelers (cough **REFS**cough) D. That right there should tell you somthing.

THe Texans didn't do the cool thing or the popular thing but this is football and not high school. The Texans did what was best for this team and my hat goes off to them.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #11
TexanBorn51
Veteran

Rep Power: 1327 TexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respected

I frankly as well as others that I know frankly don't care if Reggie runs for 20,000 yards and the NFL fanbase thinks he's the greatest thing next to JC and that's the same with Mario with one sack or 500 sacks. What will open the media hype, fanbase, and sports headline news for everyone to read about and open their eyes to someday is when the Texans start winning games go to the playoffs and eventually the Super Bowl.
TexanBorn51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #12
Tex Trenches
Veteran

Saints fans will suffer with each Mario sack...
Old 05-19-2006   #13
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Winning isn't everything, it is the only thing. Vince Lombardi
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #14
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash_Mouth_Mario
As a Texan fan. Here's what I fear will happen at the start of the NFL season...

The first week of the NFL. Reggie Bush will make one or two great runs in his first game. And this alone will make the Texans look like NFL-DRAFT-FOOLS! And every "great" run (more than 10 yards) will solidify in the minds of NFL fans everywhere that Reggie Bush is the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ. And even if the Saints lose each game it wont matter. Because people will be only looking at the one or two ESPN-highlight runs and blowing them out of proportion. All it takes is one or two great runs. That's it. This is how flash works. Each and every great run that Reggie Bush does will be a thorn in the side of every Texan fan. But don't fret...

Quietly. Slowly but surely, Mario Williams will be making improvements. But since it's not flashy. A sack wont have the same impact as single 15 yard run. It's not fair. I know. But we'll have to deal with it.

Fast forward to week seven. And that's when things start to change. Defenses will adjust and make life a little worse for Reggie Bush. Don't be surprised if Bush get hurt mid-season. One of my co-workers (a Detroit Lion's fan for 20 years) suggested this might happen and that Reggie Bush would finish the season with around 800-900 yards rushing. We've also had many talks about Barry Sanders comparison to Reggie Bush. After many hours of debate regarding Barry Sanders, Reggie Bush and Emmitt Smith (touchy subject among Lion fans) -- our conclusion is that Reggie Bush will not be like Barry Sanders. But more like Marcus Allen. Although, not identical. Two weaknesses that both Barry and Reggie share is that they aren't very good at breaking the tackle. Allen was better at this. Barry was better at behind the scrimmage runs/short cuts and change in direction. While Bush is better at open field runs and misdirection. Allen could do more power runs. Even though he had a great mid-field running skills. So, I see Reggie Bush following in the footsteps of Allen more than Sanders. Also note that Bush has excellent hands for receiving, like Allen. Sanders was a good at receiving. But certainly not as good as Marcus Allen (nor Bush).

I think that the suggestions (by Michael Irvin) that Texans are like Portland in that they passed on Jordan and took Sam Bowie in the 1984 NBA draft...is a crap comparison. For one, Reggie Bush is NOT the same level of player of Jim Brown much less Michael Jordan. That's how good Reggie would have to be to be even be considered an NFL version of "Jordan." Even Emmitt Smith or Walter Payton didn't have the same impact on the NFL as Jordan had on the NBA (and more). And since when does an 11-man offensive roster (NFL) equal a 5-man line-up(NBA)? A single player has much more effect on the 5-man NBA line-up than one does on an NFL line-up. Nevertheless, the more people compare Reggie Bush to Jordan the higher the expectations will be. Can you say Harold Miner, Jerry Stackhouse, or Isaiah Rider? I say, good. Keep up with the Jordan comparisons.

Like I said before. Reggie Bush will not be a flop (Ki-Jana Carter/Tim Biakabutuka/Tyrone Wheatley/Rashaan Salaam). He'll be an all-around great TB. But each spectacular run will just be hard to take for Texan fans. Just be patient. We're trying to build a championship. Not a ESPN-highlight.

P.S. It's better that the Texans follow a team-building plan like Baltimore Ravens/New England Patriots rather than what the Detroit Lions did.
I hear he's not running much now. I also hear that he may not be doing all that much running in NO with Deuce there. And the additional value he would bring over a healthy Davis wouldn't even compare to the additional value the Texans got with Williams.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The way I see it is, if Bush came here it would be nothing but distraction from the media for a franchise and new head coach who are trying to put a winning team on the field.

Meanwhile, quietly our unattractive pick of Mario Williams is getting all the time necessary to focus and learn the skills he is being trained on by our staff, and our head coach is getting the opportunity of being able to work with his team rather than interview about one specific player.

Also, in the meantime our team is coming together as one. Even the vets are loving Williams because of his humbleness and willingness to learn.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #16
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I use a different NBA comparison when talking about Bush and Williams. To me its like Chamberlain vs Russell. I always liked the later. Russell was the winner.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

It's nice and all that you are trying to support your team, but your logic is kinda flawed.

First, last year, there were 32 teams in the NFL. of that 32, 8 (25%) ran for more than 2000 yards.......... none of them had Reggie Bush.
Out of those 32 teams, the Texans had a Better running game than 17 other teams. & our running back(even though he didn't play a full season) was the 9th best, avg 88.7 yards/game, with 230 touches. That's better, than Warrick Dunn(88.5 ypg, 280atts) Cadillac Williams(84.1 ypg, 290 atts), Julius Jones(76.4 ypg, 257 atts), Lamont Jordan (73.2 ypg, 272 atts), Steven Jackson(69.4 ypg, 254atts), Mike Anderson(67.6 ypg, 239 atts).

The man avg's 4.2ypc, just like Edgerin James & Mike Anderson. That's better than Cadillac Williams, Stephen Jackson, Fred Taylor, Brian Westbrook, Julius Jones, Priest Holmes, Duece McAllister, Curtis Martin, & Ahman Green.

his 4.2 ypc, is less than 1 yard per carry, than LT, Clinton Portis, & Rudi Johnson(4.3 ypc), Ricky Williams & Ronnie Brown(4.4ypc), Marshall Faulk(4.5 ypc), & Willie Parker(4.7 ypc)

Only eight running backs were asked to carry the ball more than DD. Thomas Jones who only gained 359 more yards on 84 more carries(4.2), in 5 more games. That's only 72 yards a game. LT picked up 486 more yards, on 109 more carries(4.4 ypc), in 5 more games (97 yards per game). Clinton Portis picked up 540 more yards, on 122 more carries(4.5 ypc), in 5 more games( 108 yards/game).

Of all the backs I've mentioned, Only Tiki Barber(4) and LT(8) played more games than DD their first three years. Only LT was asked to carry the load DD has, and none of them, has been on a team as bad as DD has for his first 3 years.

IF you keep him healthy, and get him into the secondary more frequently, like all the guys mentioned here, and he will be as good, if not better than all of them.

Right now, there is not a better runningback in the AFC South.

Think about it.

AFC South, DD is the best Running back to date.
Old 05-19-2006   #18
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:

The first week of the NFL. Reggie Bush will make one or two great runs in his first game. And this alone will make the Texans look like NFL-DRAFT-FOOLS! And every "great" run (more than 10 yards) will solidify in the minds of NFL fans everywhere that Reggie Bush is the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ.
Who cares what fans everywhere think? This is about winning Champioinships not a popularity contest.
Old 05-19-2006   #19
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

with every minor injury that forces him to sit a few games every year, houston will look like geniuses.

and i'd take greg jones over any back in the AFC South, but i'm a bit funky that way.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #20
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've clarified in bold above.

Sorry about that... it wasn't really neccesary for you to clarify...
We overlooked that portion of you post when we originally read it.
And by 'we' I mean Jameson and I.

p.s. for those of you that are unaware, Jameson is an Irish whiskey...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read