Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-18-2006   #1
San Antonio Texan
Rookie

Rep Power: 16 San Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden cover
Default San Antonio needs more Texan news

Being from Houston and also a Texan fan, I was elated to have Texans back in my native city. Moving to San Antonio after the team started with the sweetest win in history against the Cowboys, I found San Antonio is lacking good NFL reporting for the Texans.(at least equal time for Dallas and Houston)

During the birthing process of the organization I remember hearing about testing the demographics of San Antonio for what I assumed was the marketing of the Texans. What Happened?

I am curios as to why the local news media here in San Antonio treat this city as a suburb of Dallas. It seems every time I tune into a news channel and the sports comes on dealing with the NFL it is Dallas did this, Parcells walked on water yesterday, ect…

At least the Astro’s and the Rangers get equal billing. But as a Houston Texan fan I really get rubbed the wrong way when it comes to NFL coverage. It was reported that Jerry Jones signed a deal that will have the Cowboy’s using the Alamo dome for a practice facility for the next few years. I feel this will only make the NFL coverage even more biased toward the Cowboy’s here in San Antonio.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering how many Texan fans are residing in the Alamo city? I know there has to be a few on these forums.

When the Texans were introduced to the NFL I was hoping that Mr. McNair was going to push the market here is San Antonio more but we still have not really seen a heavy push

Last edited by San Antonio Texan; 05-18-2006 at 11:58 AM.
San Antonio Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #2
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

You think you have trouble getting news try Houston. I have a feeling its about the same amount of coverage.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #3
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Im a fellow texan fan that lives in san antonio and travel down south to the rio grande valley a lot and there is almost NO texan coverage...i hear on the radio that they bring in texan players every once in a blue moon (to the valley) for an autograph session but from the players that have been brought down to the valley none have been key marketing players....as for texan fans in san antonio....there are a few of us.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #4
texanfan2100
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Antonio Texan
Being from Houston and also a Texan fan, I was elated to have Texans back in my native city. Moving to San Antonio after the team started with the sweetest win in history against the Cowboys, I found San Antonio is lacking good NFL reporting for the Texans.(at least equal time for Dallas and Houston)

During the birthing process of the organization I remember hearing about testing the demographics of San Antonio for what I assumed was the marketing of the Texans. What Happened?

I am curios as to why the local news media here in San Antonio treat this city as a suburb of Dallas. It seems every time I tune into a news channel and the sports comes on dealing with the NFL it is Dallas did this, Parcells walked on water yesterday, ect…

At least the Astro’s and the Rangers get equal billing. But as a Houston Texan fan I really get rubbed the wrong way when it comes to NFL coverage. It was reported that Jerry Jones signed a deal that will have the Cowboy’s using the Alamo dome for a practice facility for the next few years. I feel this will only make the NFL coverage even more biased toward the Cowboy’s here in San Antonio.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering how many Texan fans are residing in the Alamo city? I know there has to be a few on these forums.

When the Texans were introduced to the NFL I was hoping that Mr. McNair was going to push the market here is San Antonio more but we still have not really seen a heavy push

I think San Antonio kind of grew into Cowgirl country once the Oilers left. The Oilers used to have their training camp in San Antonio, and I seem to remember them having a good sized fan base there.

I know it must suck. I couldn't stand it when, between the Oilers leaving and Texans arriving, we were subjected to cowgirl games every Sunday. I honestly stopped watching the NFL for a couple of years during the regular season. Now, we have a ceratain reporter for the chronicle trying to shove the titans down our throat.

I do remember the Texans trying to market to other cities a few years back, but I haven't heard anything about it recently. They might have given in, and reaized that too many people drink the cowgirl kool aid, and just won't back down.

At least you have the internet. Imagine how bad the situation would have been 10-12 years ago.
texanfan2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #5
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

I feel your pain, especially with all the arrogant Cowboy fans down here. I love how many SA Town fans are posting on this, we need to create a group called SAAC (San Antonians Against Cowboys!). As for news, I've been surviving from a few sites online. Here are some sites for reference that I always check out to get some news on the Texans (besides this MB of course!):

KFFL Wire
Texan Talk
Houston Chronicle
Houston Pro Football
Old 05-18-2006   #6
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Another one here. Welcome aboard it is always good to have another Texans fan in the SA area.

PS Agree with you about the coverage, I sometimes SA as Dallas South.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #7
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88
I feel your pain, especially with all the arrogant Cowboy fans down here. As for news, I've been surviving from a few sites online. Here are some sites for reference that I always check out to get some news on the Texans (besides this MB of course!):

KFFL Wire
Texan Talk
Houston Chronicle

Add www.houstonprofootball.com to that list.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2006   #8
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 27500 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Well, not exactly in San Antonio, but still subject to watching the news and such from SA. I retired here a few years ago, and knew going in, I'd be subject to Cowboys mania, as it's always been this way here. There never was a time the Oilers had much of a fanbase here either, this has and will always be Cowboy country, even if they happen to get lucky and get a team in SA, it would take YEARS to convert these rabid boyz! Could the Texans gain ground here? I think they could, but until they attempt to market better, it will never happen. And I'm sorry to say, even if they go to the Super Bowl, you'll never change the allegiance of the SA fans. Houston to these folks might as well be in Ohio. In fact, you can convert an Ohio diehard rabid Steelers fan before you'd have any luck with an SA Cowboy fan. I know, I married one recently, and part of that agreement (wish it was in writing hehe) is that she'll love the same teams I do...thus I said I DO Oh the joy of urinating, then burning all of her Steelers stuff. Talk about feeling relieved from the Bum Phillips years, I highly recommend it for everyone <grin> Now if I can only figure out a way to dodge these Polygamy laws, then I'd marry me one of those foreign Cowgirl fans, and do the same to all her SowBoyz stuff, my life would be complete
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well it's like that here in Austin too.

However, to answer your question about Texan coverage in SA, SA is prodominantly hispanic. Mescans really love their Cowboys. I just hate how my people have been lead astray for so long.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #10
San Antonio Texan
Rookie

Rep Power: 16 San Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden cover

LORK 88 Quote "I feel your pain, especially with all the arrogant Cowboy fans down here. I love how many SA Town fans are posting on this, we need to create a group called SAAC (San Antonians Against Cowboys!). As for news, I've been surviving from a few sites online. Here are some sites for reference that I always check out to get some news on the Texans (besides this MB of course!)"

Lork 88 you have an idea about a group here in San Antonio. I would rather it be more Pro-Texan than anti-Cowboy. I know of a few fans here in SA that would probably meet together on Sundays to at least watch the Texans on the tube.

Is there already a Texan group that does that in San Antonio? If not, how many people here would be interested?

Like I said it is a good idea, a group like this could meet weekly for the game and if it grows enough, in a longer timeframe, it could lead to bus trips to the Houston games. Hell, we might even convert a few Cowboy fans along the way.

If this is an idea that is worth pursuing I think we could make something happen before this season. We would need a rough estimate of the # of people that would be interested in order to put something together. Let me know.

Nothing is better than watching your team win with other fans of the same team.
Old 05-18-2006   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan
then I'd marry me one of those foreign Cowgirl fans, and do the same to all her SowBoyz stuff, my life would be complete
My wife used to be a cowgirl fan. Well she never really liked football but that is what she grew up with so that is all she knew. I told her if we got married that she could be forgiven for all her past times as a cowboy fan if she promised to love my Texans. She did and now she defends them against her family all the time.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #12
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Quote:
LORK 88 Quote "I feel your pain, especially with all the arrogant Cowboy fans down here. I love how many SA Town fans are posting on this, we need to create a group called SAAC (San Antonians Against Cowboys!). As for news, I've been surviving from a few sites online. Here are some sites for reference that I always check out to get some news on the Texans (besides this MB of course!)"

Lork 88 you have an idea about a group here in San Antonio. I would rather it be more Pro-Texan than anti-Cowboy. I know of a few fans here in SA that would probably meet together on Sundays to at least watch the Texans on the tube.

Is there already a Texan group that does that in San Antonio? If not, how many people here would be interested?

Like I said it is a good idea, a group like this could meet weekly for the game and if it grows enough, in a longer timeframe, it could lead to bus trips to the Houston games. Hell, we might even convert a few Cowboy fans along the way.

If this is an idea that is worth pursuing I think we could make something happen before this season. We would need a rough estimate of the # of people that would be interested in order to put something together. Let me know.

Nothing is better than watching your team win with other fans of the same team.

thats a great proposition...would be interested in the outcome. althought im back in forth from san antonio and the valley; nothing would be greater than finding a texans group to root on the texans with.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #13
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
You think you have trouble getting news try Houston. I have a feeling its about the same amount of coverage.
Nod - Agree - What Ibar said....

This cities sports coverage is just plain pathetic. For being a top 10 city with 4 major sports franchises we have one of the worst group of news reporters around the country for reporting on our local sports teams - esp on the Houston Texans.

Honestly - I dont care if they dont havea lot to report, - the point is they dont really do any reporting hardly at all. The local reporters treat the Texans almost the same as the National media does - which means we get next to no news about the team unless something happens thats signifigantly newsworthy or bad. WE all know how reporters love to report bad news.

Hell we get better local H.S. football coverage then we do of the Texans its so bad. - IMO thats because high school kids are reportign the football news and are actually interested in reporting about there team.

It almost seems like nobody on the Chronicle staff wants to report on the Texans - Sorry folks - but those reporters seriously need to get off your butts and start doing your freaking jobs and give us news on our local teams!!!!

The Texans have a new staff, over 50 new players, a #1 draft pick and Free agents galore coming in this year along with a host of team & scheme changes yet to come. Yet - our local news media dont see it fit to do any reporting at all on most of these topics???

Almost no player interviews, Hardly any staff interviews except scheduled team announcements, no in depth coverage of the teams OTA's or stories on a majority of the draft picks or free agents signed along with a plethora of other topics that could and should be covered regularly by the Chronicle - yet for some reason arent even addressed most of the time. We even had a special interview on NFL access last night with David Carr - Yet no mention of it in the Chronic - nor any reporter asking these same basic questions that should have been covered allready by local media.

Hell we get better in depth interviews and news reporting from our own local board reporter - AJ - and his voice of the fan reports.

By and large Fox and ESPN provide far better and more in depth reporting and sports coverage of our local teams then our local reports do and thats the rub considering how large this city is and how much budget, player availability and time the reporters have to put stories and interviews together - yet seem to have no interest or motivation in doing them thus far after 4 years of the Texans.

IMO the Chronicle is one of the worst papers ive read over the years when it comes to reporting local sports. It seems the only team regularly covered all year round in this town by the Chronic is the Astros which is really a shame. I grant you we made it to the series last year, but we lost for cripes sake and since then Uncle Drayton mangled everythign since from Clemens to Bagwell to signign only one player in the off-season. I honestly am just waiting for the team to implode as Uncle Drayton has shown himself to be a money grubbing toght wad who cares little for the team, its players or its fans. I frankly dont want to hear any more about the local team who cant get over the hump because they have an owner who wont spend the money hes made to make the club a contender yet seems to content to stick his fingers in everything while having no clue how to run a ball club. He continually puts out a sub-par team on the field and expects to win and every player that comes here to give him a discount on their contract. Talk about an entitlement attitude!!! Looking over at Chron page today - we have multiple stories on Lidge's continuing pitching problems, - yet almost Nada on the Texans save for the article a few days back on OTA's & Wand. Their lack of reporting is pathetic to the point it almost seems purposeful - It's almost like they dont want to report on the Texans since the draft and go out of there way to not report much on purpose except the occasional rant or whine about Charlie and how the team should have taken Bush or Young. Their bias is very evident that they didnt agree wit hthe teams moves and now the rest of the fans and city who do back the team suffer because they dont want to report about it. What should be happening is them giving us Texans news like all other cities get! I was honestly very shocked the first time I went to Dallas and Denver and picked up the local paper - Their reporters had an article almost every other day about someone on the team or somethign to do with the team or soem benfit a player was involved with.

Heck the Chronic reports as much on Dallas and National football news on the NFL as they do the Texans and thats pitiful for THIS home town News team.

As far as i'm concerned they all need to go dunk their collective heads and get back to reporting the news and get off the ALL Astros ALL the time reporting. They have 4 reporters on the Astros - yet we can barely manage to get one for the Texans and we only get that on a part tiem basis at best w/John McClain. A reporter who's interests are widely known and divided between the National NFL stories, the Titans and lastly the Texans which for a local beat reporter/national circuit guy should truly have his priorities re-adjusted to reporting about THIS TOWN's sports team as long as he has a job here.

Memo to John McClain: IF your Man-love is so strong for Young & the Titans then please, move your ass to Tenn and let us get a reporter to actually give us news about our team instead of the -Flaming Thumbtacks- because this town and most of it's fans are very tired of hearing about Bud's club while you snub your nose at the Texans.

War - Texans breaking the .500 mark this season
War - Texans getting a Regular unbiased beat Reporter
War - The Flaming Thumbtacks - flaming out this year!!

Im Out like a Light!

Last edited by U4ikrob; 05-18-2006 at 03:09 PM.
U4ikrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #14
mapleleaf
Veteran

Well you may want to look at this map here: http://www.commoncensus.org/sports_map.php?sport=1

You can see the SA color coded with the Cowboys, though if you think San Antonio is Dihard Cowboy, not true as you can see there is still some Texans dots and circles around mostly the suburbs of San Antonio or nearby towns near San Antonio (I'm guessing the most likely place where you can find the Texans fans majority is in the suburbs). Well the map may inacurrate it gives a good picture on where fans of some teams mostly live. My only hope for San Antonio to be split between the 'Boys and Texans is if the Cowboys have 14 consecutive losing seasons and for the Texans to have a 7-8 year playoff run, but that is pretty much unlikely to happen according to the both of the teams current situation. But then again this is just of some pieces and bits of information, nothing scientific but just a preview of something big that God only knows.
Old 05-18-2006   #15
trane
Rookie

Quote:

Out of curiousity...do you root for the Spurs?
trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #16
San Antonio Texan
Rookie

I am not so much of a NBA fan. I like the Texans and the Astros.
Old 05-18-2006   #17
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Add me to the list of San Antonio Texans.

There is only one person at work besides myself that is a Texans fan. I think winning will bring in a lot more folks, but it is definitely Cowboy country here.

Its not as bad as where I grew up though. The Rio Grande Valley has a higher percentage hardcore Cowboy fans than Dallas has. Dallas residents are bandwaggoners and frontrunners by nature. Valley residents are much more rabidly loyal.

It was lonely growing up as an Oiler fan in the Ed Biles and Hugh Campbell years.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #18
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting....how would anybody possibly know anything about Cowboy fans in Dallas unless one had lived there? I did for many years, had season tickets and always had the same group of people around me for years; much as I'm sure the Texans fans have on here.

The Cowboys own Dallas. Always have and always will.

The other teams do well but it's a Cowboys town. I lived there thru the 1-15 season and through the SB years. The Cowboys are supported quite well by the people in the Metroplex. Ask Jerry. He's gone from a millionaire to a zillionaire and the value of the team just keeps going up. That wouldn't happen if the team didn't have local support.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #19
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
Interesting....how would anybody possibly know anything about Cowboy fans in Dallas unless one had lived there? I did for many years, had season tickets and always had the same group of people around me for years; much as I'm sure the Texans fans have on here.

The Cowboys own Dallas. Always have and always will.

The other teams do well but it's a Cowboys town. I lived there thru the 1-15 season and through the SB years. The Cowboys are supported quite well by the people in the Metroplex. Ask Jerry. He's gone from a millionaire to a zillionaire and the value of the team just keeps going up. That wouldn't happen if the team didn't have local support.
I lived in Dallas in 1993. Dallas was fresh off of a 52-17 trouncing of the Bills.

When the Cowboys started 0-2 with losses to the Redskins and Buffalo, I saw people jumping off the bandwagon like crazy. It was sickening. I’m not saying all fans, but most in Dallas are of the fair-weather variety. (at least the ones I met)

Valley Cowboy fans are much more fervent in my opinion.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #20
mapleleaf
Veteran

I used to live in Toronto and visit there every so often, and many people over there that like football (keep in mind that American football fans is rare just as ice hockey fans is in TX) love the Dallas Cowboys than any other team and they are very vibrant, probably even more vibrant than the Texas Cowboys fans. There is also a very small amount of Bills fans over there but that has been decreasing.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read