Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-18-2006   #1
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Exclamation RBBC in zone blocking scheme

So from what im hearing on this message board (I know, not the most reliable source) is that our #1 runner, Domanick Davis is still not recovered from a knee scope, which has a recovery time of 5-10 weeks, not 4-5 months.

Vernand Morency is trying to adjust his running style to be more of a one cut, and up the field, rather than a juke machine.

We got Antoine Smith from the Aints, who I would assume is running low in the tank. And are looking to acquire Bennett from the Aints for a low price.

Not to mention we have our 5th Round pick, Wali Lundy, who I hear should thrive in this type of scheme, Damien Rhodes from Syracuse, Chris Taylor from Indiana, and our 2 new FB, Quadtrine Hill, and Jameel Cook.

How many runners do we keep? How many get shown their walking papers?

=====================
Assuming we dont acquire Bennett, I see Smith, and Taylor, not being here long term.

1 Domanick Davis (Needs to get back to 100%, and start practicing.)
2 Vernand Morency (Needs to learn the running style, He is too good to let walk.)
3 Wali Lundy (I think the coaching staff picked him for the exact reason that he is a one cut, up the field guy. Punishing runner as well?)
4 Damien Rhodes (Good size at 6.0 211, and sounds like hes taking some good reps.)

Full-Backs
1. Jameel Cook (Watched him at Tampa. Good dual threat player.)
2. Quadtrine Hill (I wanted this guy in the 7th round. I think he will be a great UndraftedFA for us.)

What do you think?
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #2
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

DD has actually been special for us. I think the real concern is do we have a back to replace him assuming Lundy becomes the 2nd back. I think Lundy is going to prove to be another DD. So far no one else is showing much and that is the concern I do believe. You need probably at least 3 backs when running the scheme Kubiak wants to run.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #3
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am glad to have RBBC, for the sole purpose of injuries. With RBBC, if one guy goes down, you have 3-4 others who can step in and handel the load. Second, you keep fresh backs and they have longer careers. Third, sometimes one backs style works better against certain Ds. If you are playing a fast D, you use the pounder RB, or a faster RB for the slower D.
Old 05-18-2006   #4
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Good points all around. So do we think Morency has a future here? Or do we think he is trade bait if he cant learn to one cut run?
Old 05-18-2006   #5
dwilt72
Veteran

Funny how so many people didn't think we needed a RB when the Texans were looking to draft Bush. However, now that we passed on him, all of a sudden there is concern at RB.
dwilt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #6
texansfaninla
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 texansfaninla has been demoted to the practice squad

Amen, Dwilt.
texansfaninla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #7
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilt72
Funny how so many people didn't think we needed a RB when the Texans were looking to draft Bush. However, now that we passed on him, all of a sudden there is concern at RB.
Its not that we have concern about filling a body in at RB, but a good one, who can run like Kubiak asks.

If you ask me, Bush is the anti zone runner. He dances, and jukes, and cuts 3-4 times a run.

Not what Kubiak wants. But good try.
Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2006   #8
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

If you look at the slides from the 1st day of OTA you will see a picture of Davis Running. He looks pretty healthy in that picture it could be they just want to make darn certain he is healed and don't feel there is a necessity to rush him into the activities. That would make sense, because they know what he has done and I think Kubiak feels he will fit into his scheme very well. DD has quickly adapted anytime they have changed the scheme. I guess this is one of those questions that will go begging for a while until some answers are forth coming.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #9
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
If you look at the slides from the 1st day of OTA you will see a picture of Davis Running. He looks pretty healthy in that picture it could be they just want to make darn certain he is healed and don't feel there is a necessity to rush him into the activities.
That makes alot of sense. Good point.
Old 05-18-2006   #10
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

my sentiments exactly
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #11
dwilt72
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Its not that we have concern about filling a body in at RB, but a good one, who can run like Kubiak asks.

If you ask me, Bush is the anti zone runner. He dances, and jukes, and cuts 3-4 times a run.

Not what Kubiak wants. But good try.
Isn't it funny how he made all his yards in a zone blocking scheme?
Old 05-18-2006   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Denver went into week 1 last year with 4 RBs, 1 FB, and 4 TEs (5 TE's if you count the long snapper)
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #13
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Smith is the only RB on the roster who is over 216lbs. The rest of them seem pretty similar in weight, even though they vary in height.

At 6-2-232lbs, A.Smith compares height/weight wise to Mike Anderson who is 6-0-230lbs.

I think Smith makes the roster based on the difference he brings to the table... as long as he shows he can still be effective.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #14
texansfaninla
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 texansfaninla has been demoted to the practice squad

Dwilt, this is not a discussion involving any sense of logic. Otherwise the Texans would have zero problem at running back and would still be complete on the defensive end spot. Reggie Bush played excellently in a zone blocking scheme at USC. The Texans need a quick running back who can play in a zone blocking scheme, as well as an identity. So they naturally take an overrated defensive end No. 1 overall. Brilliant!
texansfaninla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #15
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfaninla
Dwilt, this is not a discussion involving any sense of logic. Otherwise the Texans would have zero problem at running back and would still be complete on the defensive end spot. Reggie Bush played excellently in a zone blocking scheme at USC. The Texans need a quick running back who can play in a zone blocking scheme, as well as an identity. So they naturally take an overrated defensive end No. 1 overall. Brilliant!

Aren't there 1001 other threads for you to vent your opinion about this pick?

IT IS DONE...

we are living in the present, and discussing RELEVANT issues involving the current Texans roster.
I understand your disapointment. Please, move on and allow others to do the same.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #16
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Any RB who could have been on this roster would be competing for playing time.

I do belive that Morency will have earned the starting spot sometime during the year.
Old 05-20-2006   #17
dwilt72
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm
Aren't there 1001 other threads for you to vent your opinion about this pick?

IT IS DONE...

we are living in the present, and discussing RELEVANT issues involving the current Texans roster.
I understand your disapointment. Please, move on and allow others to do the same.
Yeah, when Reggie ends up in the Pro Bowl and Mario is on the bench, you'll probably be the first one saying "I TOLD YOU SO!"
Old 05-20-2006   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilt72
Yeah, when Reggie ends up in the Pro Bowl and Mario is on the bench, you'll probably be the first one saying "I TOLD YOU SO!"

not picking on you just had the ideal quote, just seems that lots of people on this board think it is going to be boom or bust for these two guys.. either Bush is going to bust and mario is going to the HOF or vise versa.

I personally hope that Bush,Young, AND Williams do well..

As a kid I loved watching the Steelers and Oilers.. go ..Steel Curtain versus well basically Earl .. and loved watching the Giants with LT go against the Cowboys

That is why I hope all three are good(even though we won't see Bush except once every 4 years)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read