Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-17-2006   #1
trane
Rookie

Default Bruce Smith/Deacon Jones to Mentor Mario

NFL Access did an interview with Bruce Smith after he was inducted into the College Football and he was asked about Mario Williams being the number one pick. He basically said it's about time defensive ends got their respect and that he and Deacon Jones looked forward to mentoring Mario. Hopefully, this takes place because I think the wisdom and support Mario could receive from these guys would pay big dividends.
trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #2
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by trane
NFL Access did an interview with Bruce Smith after he was inducted into the College Football and he was asked about Mario Williams being the number one pick. He basically said it's about time defensive ends got their respect and that he and Deacon Jones looked forward to mentoring Mario. Hopefully, this takes place because I think the wisdom and support Mario could receive from these guys would pay big dividends.

I am a goofball. Reading this gave me chills.

Sweet.

Last edited by Texans_Chick; 05-17-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

These mentors sound good to me - some real attitude there.
Old 05-17-2006   #4
wrestler4life
Veteran

I would love to see Mario give a head slap just like Deacon did. Oh wait- penalty!
Oh well, it would still be cool!
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #5
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Its not only attitude, but its skills and intelligence. Deacon was no dummy. I remember watching the fiersome 4 some and that was one heck of a group of defensive players. They were smart and new how to play the game.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #6
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

THIS is Awesome news!! The experience those 2 alone could share would benefit any Defensive lineman, but to call out Mario and say they are going to mentor him is just to great for words -

Like the Gal above i'm a goofball -

I'm just thinking of Mario beating down QB's like Smith and Deacon did for years and bringing respect & fear to the Texans defense. Gives me chills too just thinking of the potential.

Mario has also really impressed me with his desire to really get in and learn and to be a very teachable and athletic player. I think he could really learn alot from these guys and I love the idea of him getting some new tricks, and veteran moves from these all-time greats and producing on the field like the real he can become.

Is it August yet????
Old 05-17-2006   #7
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6672 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

It just don't get no better than that!
Old 05-17-2006   #8
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

ESPN had a recent interview with Decon and I suspect you would say he felt like the defensive side of the ball GOT NO RESPECT. I would suspect he is ticked off at the media questioning Mario the way they have. I would bet in his eyes they are showing the young man no respect. I would think Decon would like to see them eat their words. In the long run I bet they do.

This is a classy young man. He and his agent celebrated his number 1 by drinking water and eating pringles. I think this young man is the real deal. Just as Jordan was not the player in college he was in the pros so will Williams prove to be a totally different an better player in the pros. The NFL will allow him to show case his talent, just like the NBA did for Jordan.
Old 05-17-2006   #9
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Deacon is also Travis Johnson's role model. Last year he constantly referred to him. Maybe he could help TJ out too?
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04
Deacon is also Travis Johnson's role model. Last year he constantly referred to him. Maybe he could help TJ out too?
Dude, you beat me to it.

Didn't Williams just recently quit his job at Subway.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #11
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Right now all the hype is Bush. Let the Texans sign Decon as an assistant and watch the eye brows raise. Decon never got a ring, perhaps it would be fitting if he got one as a Texan.
Old 05-17-2006   #12
humbleone
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
ESPN had a recent interview with Decon and I suspect you would say he felt like the defensive side of the ball GOT NO RESPECT. I would suspect he is ticked off at the media questioning Mario the way they have. I would bet in his eyes they are showing the young man no respect. I would think Decon would like to see them eat their words. In the long run I bet they do.

This is a classy young man. He and his agent celebrated his number 1 by drinking water and eating pringles. I think this young man is the real deal. Just as Jordan was not the player in college he was in the pros so will Williams prove to be a totally different an better player in the pros. The NFL will allow him to show case his talent, just like the NBA did for Jordan.
Indeed he is classy. I will never forget the fact that he did not use (nor allow his agent to use) his offer to give up college and football to get a job and help out his pregnant sister-in-law when his brother was killed in Iraq. Many others would have thought nothing of using that story to generate media attention and hype during the pre-draft circus.
humbleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #13
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I wonder if they have approached Mario about this yet. I'm totally stoked about this if it's for real. I mean they never made offers like this to any other players huh. They must want Mario to totally domineer O-linemen. Hopefully they'll come out to practice and talk with some of the other players. Didn't Rice also extend an invitation to Johnson, I wonder how that panned out. This is great news. Bruce is loose. lol.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #14
whiskeyrbl

If they do tutor our young Prince and show the other guys some things,and things seem to work out...... Well in the respect that we are aggressive and get after the QB's every Sunday. How about keeping a nickname for our front four in mind. I was thinking The Sack Attack or The Sack Exchange. This off season pickup's and draftees, and start of OTA's, the possible tutorings,new coaches,new Offenseive and defensive schemes,have me thinking that we are fixin' to dawn a new ERA of winning in south Texas. Maybe a year or two away, but a winning tradition nevertheless. GO TEXANS!!!!
Old 05-17-2006   #15
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl
If they do tutor our young Prince and show the other guys some things,and things seem to work out...... Well in the respect that we are aggressive and get after the QB's every Sunday. How about keeping a nickname for our front four in mind. I was thinking The Sack Attack or The Sack Exchange. This off season pickup's and draftees, and start of OTA's, the possible tutorings,new coaches,new Offenseive and defensive schemes,have me thinking that we are fixin' to dawn a new ERA of winning in south Texas. Maybe a year or two away, but a winning tradition nevertheless. GO TEXANS!!!!
Is there a possibility of maybe using the house of pain again. I really liked that name and this is where it's from and didn't Smith also work with them. I mean I think that would be cool. Opening the doors to the house of pain once again.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #16
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

WOW, If I am him I would take all the advice I could get from those two guys.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #17
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestler4life
I would love to see Mario give a head slap just like Deacon did. Oh wait- penalty!
Oh well, it would still be cool!
Just once in a while, to keep the opponents guessing
Old 05-17-2006   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by trane
Holy cow! That's awesome news!! Smith & Jones are two of the three greatest linemen in football history (along with Reggie White).

If Mario can get any advice and/or coaching from these players, he'll be better for it. I am stoked to hear this news, and hope it turns out to be real.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read