Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-16-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Williams first practice, "good job"

Williams does 'good job' in first practice
Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Mario Williams was headed to a meeting, then turned to see the throng of reporters that had followed him across the practice field.

It may have been the only moment all morning the No. 1 draft pick looked uncomfortable.

The defensive end fit in seamlessly with his new Houston Texans teammates Tuesday, going through about two hours of drills. It's a good sign considering the Texans will look for Williams to start immediately as they switch from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3 scheme.

The 6-foot-7, 292-pounder signed a six-year, $54 million contract, with $26.5 million guaranteed, the night before the draft.

There was no rookie hazing for Williams, just lots of encouragement and pointers from several veteran defensive linemen. Travis Johnson, Houston's first-round pick from last season, was among those helping out.

"They're taking me under their wings and just pushing me to get better," Williams said. "They're already big brothers to me. I feel very comfortable."

Tuesday was also Gary Kubiak's first practice as Texans coach. He has replaced Dom Capers, who was fired after Houston's 2-14 season.

"It's easy to sit in that meeting room and talk about, 'We're going to run the ball. We're going to do this or that,'" Kubiak said. "But you've got to start to do that on the field and have them start to believe in what you're doing."

The Texans chose Williams over Southern California running back Reggie Bush, looking to inject some life into a defense that was ranked 31st overall last season. He could finally give Houston a disruptive pass rusher.

"It's a new experience and I've got a lot to learn," Williams said. "It's a little quicker, but it's not like it's overwhelming or anything like that."

Kubiak was impressed.

"He stopped a lot of our plays," the coach said. "He did a good job. To hop in there day one with the starters and go -- that's a lot to ask. It looks like he did a fine job to me."

The Texans plan to line up Williams against a tight end, a task that might take some getting used to.

"I'm just going to the strong side," he said. "Whew. That strong side is exactly that -- you got the tight end with the tackle all the time. It's a little different there, but I'll be fine."

Williams knows a lot is expected of him.

"I feel like it's a team and I feel like the whole d-line has my back," he said. "I'm going to go out and I'm going to play as hard as I can for them. I feel like whatever happens it's as a unit. I don't feel like the one in the spotlight out there."

Williams, described as a cross between Lawrence Taylor and Julius Peppers, broke North Carolina State records for career tackles for a loss and sacks.

"I hope that maybe one day I can overwhelm people in the NFL the way I did in college," he said. "I've just got to work hard."

Sounds good!
Old 05-16-2006   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans plan to line up Williams against a tight end, a task that might take some getting used to.
That answers one question we've had.
Old 05-16-2006   #3
Rightnow
Veteran

Good stuff! Thanks for the info.

Go Mario!
Old 05-16-2006   #4
Sportsfan
All Pro

I found this too:

Williams eats a foot long club sandwhich for lunch
Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Mario Williams was headed to the dessert bar, then turned to see the throng of reporters that had followed him across the cafeteria.

It may have been the only moment all day the No. 1 draft pick looked uncomfortable as he was about to load up on a bowl of banana pudding.

The defensive end fit in seamlessly with his new Houston Texans teammates Tuesday, sitting through a 30 minute lunch eating a foot long club sandwhich.

The 6-foot-7, 292-pounder signed a six-year, $54 million contract, with $26.5 million guaranteed, the night before the draft.

There was no rookie hazing or for Williams, just lots of encouragement and pointers from several veteran defensive linemen on what the best sandwhich is at the Texans' facilities. Travis Johnson, Houston's first-round pick from last season, was among those recommending the club sandwhich.

Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #5
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Need a link to articles please.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #6
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Linky
Old 05-16-2006   #7
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02

"I'm just going to the strong side," he said. "Whew. That strong side is exactly that -- you got the tight end with the tackle all the time. It's a little different there, but I'll be fine."
Ok, so my D-line knowledge is sorely lacking but is it usaully to line up your best pass rusher on the strong side?

Would he not be better suited to play the weakside, and only have to worry bout the tackle and maybe an RB?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-16-2006   #8
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

So whats the timeframe we should anticipate Mario really starting to take hold in the NFL?? I am sure we all are hoping that he gets a real quick start in this league. I know DE's typically take a year or two before they really start to produce (hopefully the case for TJ).

Peppers had 12 sacks his rookie year, and Freeny had 13.

So I guess I can go ahead and expect quite a bit out of Mario his first year?? That would be just fine with me!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #9
kingh99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate
So whats the timeframe we should anticipate Mario really starting to take hold in the NFL?? I am sure we all are hoping that he gets a real quick start in this league. I know DE's typically take a year or two before they really start to produce (hopefully the case for TJ).

Peppers had 12 sacks his rookie year, and Freeny had 13.

So I guess I can go ahead and expect quite a bit out of Mario his first year?? That would be just fine with me!
Depends how they use him. I do not see him in the mold of Peppers or Freeney but rather Reggie White. This guy seems like a versatile LOAD. A stuffer and a bull as well as a speed rusher.
Old 05-16-2006   #10
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

It would make a lot more sense to have Mario at LDE and Babin at RDE, with Weaver at DT than Mario at RDE and Weaver at LDE, with Babin not in the rotation. I think that's why the lineup is like this.
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #11
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for info. Man, I can't wait to see Mario on our D-line.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #12
AtheGreat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
"He stopped a lot of our plays," the coach said. "He did a good job. To hop in there day one with the starters and go -- that's a lot to ask. It looks like he did a fine job to me."
just wondering, this isn't a rookie mini-camp right? if not, is he going against starting OL or just 2nd and 3rd stringers guys?
AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #13
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

This OTA is non-mandatory but everyone is there since it's a new regime. There were 96 guys out there today. Mario lined up against the first team (Wand and a TE) a bunch.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #14
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign_lee
It would make a lot more sense to have Mario at LDE and Babin at RDE, with Weaver at DT than Mario at RDE and Weaver at LDE, with Babin not in the rotation. I think that's why the lineup is like this.
As of now it sounds like it is going to be Williams and Peek at DEs, Weaver and Payne at DTs for the majority of the time, although on short yardage or other running situations you can have Weaver and Mario at DEs and Payne and Robaire/TJ at DTs, and you could even have Mario and Weaver at DTs and Babin and Peek at DEs if they want as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheGreat
just wondering, this isn't a rookie mini-camp right? if not, is he going against starting OL or just 2nd and 3rd stringers guys?
Yes, the whole team was there so MArio was playing against the 1st team offense, from what I heard he was mainly at strongside end so he was going against Weigert and a TE most of the time.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
As of now it sounds like it is going to be Williams and Peek at DEs, Weaver and Payne at DTs for the majority of the time, although on short yardage or other running situations you can have Weaver and Mario at DEs and Payne and Robaire/TJ at DTs, and you could even have Mario and Weaver at DTs and Babin and Peek at DEs if they want as well.
Glad your back, but please elaborate on it sounds like...
Old 05-16-2006   #16
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
from what I heard he was mainly at strongside end so he was going against Weigert and a TE most of the time.
He was RDE and against Wand and a TE most of the time.

Last edited by aj.; 05-16-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-16-2006   #17
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
He was weakside and against Wand and a TE most of the time.
No, Mario was playing LDE (strongside DE) against the RT, which would be Zach Wiegert and the TE, Antwan Peek was playing RDE (also known as weakside DE) against Wand, trust me on this one, I have a reliable source.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #18
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I have a reliable source.
I was there and didn't see Mario against Wiegert. But it could have happened when I was watching other stuff. But when the nut cutting full team drills were going on near the end, Mario was RDE repeatedly against Wand.
Old 05-16-2006   #19
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I was there and didn't see Mario against Wiegert. But it could have happened when I was looking at other things. When the nut cutting full team drills were going on, Mario was RDE against Wand.

win.
Old 05-16-2006   #20
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
No, Mario was playing LDE (strongside DE) against the RT, which would be Zach Wiegert and the TE, Antwan Peek was playing RDE (also known as weakside DE) against Wand, trust me on this one, I have a reliable source.
I read that in the chronicle this morning as well, but if aj was there i mean what can you say?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read