Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-16-2006   #1
fastpitchwoof
Rookie

Default The Defense Under Richard Smith

I am looking forward to seeing this defense under new DC Richard Smith. I think the players will like it IF they attack the offense like they say they are going to do. Over and over again I watched the defense just sit back and try to contain the opposing offense last year. That had to be frustrating to the players. The Defensive coaches talked a good game saying that we are going to attack more, blah blah blah, but they never did it consistantly. Fangio ran the D like he did when he was in Minnesota.

I believe that Richard Smith is going to turn these guys loose this year. Sure they will give up some plays. That's the price you pay when you are aggressive but I believe that we get more big plays than we give up. It should be more fun for the players.
fastpitchwoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Hopefully our defensive players are good enough for you to make that claim. Looking at Richard Smith's resume, I'm not seeing it. Someone please help me see what I'm missing here.

for '97-'02, he was the 49ers LineBackers coach........ he had 4 linebackers selected to the ProBowl...... Julian Peterson.... Ken Norton Jr... Winfred Tubbs, and Lee Woodall....... If I remember correctly, none of those guys were scrubs, Norton Played just as well for Dallas, as he did for the 9ers. Tubbs didn't get better when he went to SF, his stats actually declined when he left N.O. Lee Woodall... played just as well prior to '97 as he did in '97, the year he went to the ProBowl. & Julian Peterson was a top LB prospect wasn't he??

'03-'04 he was the "Assisstant Head Coach"/Linebacker's Coach in Detroit.

I've got some high hopes riding on this season, and I'm expecting to get some stops.......

man, I've got my fingers crossed.
Old 05-16-2006   #3
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Looking at Richard Smith's resume, I'm not seeing it. Someone please help me see what I'm missing here.
'03-'04 he was the "Assisstant Head Coach"/Linebacker's Coach in Detroit.
I've got my fingers crossed.
Well Smith did not have a really statistically good looking year in Miami last year ( Pass defense ranked #1 in 2004/ Ranked #25 after he shows up ) and I believe he is the only guy on the staff from the 1992 Houston Oilers.

I am not really all that supersticious. I don't believe in curses, magic, or even electricity... however I have been told that they all work, whether you believe in them or not. ( see Niels Bohr )

This could very well spell disaster for us.

But you never know... One must keep his spirit warm by standing at the fires of optimism. Rubbing the hands of good karma together, thinking Jim Plunkett, Jim Plunkett, Jim Plunkett.

EDIT:
They don't mention the Oilers in his bio... LOL!

EDIT:
Nevermind on the stats... their pass defense was inflated because everybody was running on them in 04.

Last edited by TwinSisters; 05-16-2006 at 01:35 PM.
TwinSisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #4
wicked_wayz
all blacks

man, I've got my fingers crossed.[/quote]

man same here i got high hopes for this new defence, now with a better d line i surely hope our DB can become better
Old 05-16-2006   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The only thing I am confused about is how in our first year we had a very solid defense. For the most part they were the reason why we were in any games that year. Remember 24-6 over Pittsburgh? I mean, what happened? If we would've had that D over the last two years we would be a pretty darn good team.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #6
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
The only thing I am confused about is how in our first year we had a very solid defense. For the most part they were the reason why we were in any games that year. Remember 24-6 over Pittsburgh? I mean, what happened? If we would've had that D over the last two years we would be a pretty darn good team.
The answer was injuries in the 2nd year desimated our defenive unit and they never recovered. Some now believe those injuries were a result of over working the players under Caper's. If you look at Glenn, for example, he has been basically healthy since he left here. He never returned to his healthy state while playing for the Texans.

In reality an aged defense grew old very quickly after the injuries in year 2 and never recovered. I firmly believe that destroyed the 5 year plan they had. From that point on it was down hill, because defense was what Capers was comfortible with and he had none. They could not replace what they had lost due to age and injuries.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #7
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters
and I believe he is the only guy on the staff from the 1992 Houston Oilers.

EDIT:

I don't believe he was with the Oilers in '92. That was Jim Eddy's crew under Jack Pardee. Richard Smith worked under Jerry Glanville with the House of Pain team....
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-16-2006   #8
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic
I don't believe he was with the Oilers in '92. That was Jim Eddy's crew under Jack Pardee. Richard Smith worked under Jerry Glanville with the House of Pain team....
Ahh that's good. I couldn't figure it out because I always have a hard time telling when they count 1992 as the year 1991 or 1992 playoffs and so forth.

I suppose this warrants a closer look though!

Okay he was there with Saban... uh wait... he was here in Houston working with Saban 88-89.
out of 18 NFL seasons, 11 in the Playoffs ( 5 with Houston )

Quote:
Smith was an assistant under Jerry Glanville and Jack Pardee. From 1988 to 1992 in Houston, Smith coached special teams, the offensive line, tight ends and linebackers.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/3610629.html

So he carries the curse!

Last edited by TwinSisters; 05-16-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-17-2006   #9
Rovator
Veteran

Quote:
Well Smith did not have a really statistically good looking year in Miami last year ( Pass defense ranked #1 in 2004/ Ranked #25 after he shows up )
Well, in his defense, the Dolphins did lose Sammy Knight and Patrick Surtain for 2005, both of whom were former pro-bowlers.
Rovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #10
slamdunc
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters
Well Smith did not have a really statistically good looking year in Miami last year ( Pass defense ranked #1 in 2004/ Ranked #25 after he shows up ) and I believe he is the only guy on the staff from the 1992 Houston Oilers.

I am not really all that supersticious. I don't believe in curses, magic, or even electricity... however I have been told that they all work, whether you believe in them or not. ( see Niels Bohr )

This could very well spell disaster for us.

But you never know... One must keep his spirit warm by standing at the fires of optimism. Rubbing the hands of good karma together, thinking Jim Plunkett, Jim Plunkett, Jim Plunkett.

EDIT:

EDIT:
Nevermind on the stats... their pass defense was inflated because everybody was running on them in 04.
but how much of slipping to 24 against the pass had to do with ogunleye being traded to the bears and Surtain going to the chiefs? A good cover corner and a fierce pass rusher to complement Taylor. That would make a difference, but from 1 to 24 in a year???
slamdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of the 1988 Oilers staff under Glanville:

aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #12
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdunc
but how much of slipping to 24 against the pass had to do with ogunleye being traded to the bears and Surtain going to the chiefs? A good cover corner and a fierce pass rusher to complement Taylor. That would make a difference, but from 1 to 24 in a year???
Yeah it's hard to judge him with all the changes that went on. I would say that if you believe that the NFL is truely stocked with talent of the same caliber for each team... then it's not too unreasonable to see a large shift by moving just a few weights.

Meaning the difference between 1 and 24 is not that much.
---

LOL look at June Jones ( Bartkowski's back up ) !!! harhar... if anybody missed his story, he is in Hawaii now with Mouse Davis and Jerry Glanville under him.

http://uhathletics.hawaii.edu/coach.html?p=3

say what you want about him, but he flipped Hawaii from loser to winner. NFL Network ran a clip on him not too long ago.
---

Quote:
We have spend tremendous resources to stop the run. I am expecting radical results.
I have to say Ay Ai capn to that too

Last edited by TwinSisters; 05-17-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-17-2006   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, I didn't realize that Nick Saban was a coach on the '88 Oilers. Learn something new every day!

I hope Smith can bring back the killer instinct and attitude to our defense. I agree with the original poster that our defense last year was too soft. They seemed like they were in a perpetual state of prevent every game.

If anything, attacking the ball will be the biggest fundamental difference between this year's D and last year's. Hopefully Smith can bring back the "House of Pain". That was always a great atmosphere for football.
Old 05-17-2006   #14
trane
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Some of the 1988 Oilers staff under Glanville:

Some on these guys have moved on to bigger and better jobs while Jerry Glanville just moved on.
trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #15
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Reese and Saban have done especially well for themselves. Jones, Smith, and Helton to lesser degrees. I've lost track of the others.

It was right around this timeframe when Chuck Noll of the Steelers came close to punching out Glanville on the field after a game at the Dome for "overly aggressive tactics" by the defense/ special teams. I loved it because after years of garbage teams, it started to get fun again out at the stadium on Sunday.

I'm hoping Smith will be able to supercharge this defense and make it the dominant force it was always supposed to be under Dom.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read