Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-16-2006   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chron: Kubiak gets chance to size up his team

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3865842.html

Texans hit field for first time under new coach

Quote:
The introductions are over. Now Gary Kubiak finally gets to start coaching.

For the first time since the Texans' season ended with an overtime loss in San Francisco on Jan. 1, the team will take the field today at Reliant Park.

There are new coaches, new players and an entirely new system. With the opener just 17 weeks away, there's also a lot of work ahead.

The Texans will try to chip away at their list when they start organized team activities (OTAs), which will take place four days each week until their first minicamp begins June 7.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel the same way Chester:

Players who have been with the Texans all four years of their existence are especially ready to start seeing progress.

"I'm excited to get out there, learn a new system and get good because I want to win games," left guard Chester Pitts said. "It's never exciting to really go practice. Who wants to do that?

"But going into my fifth season, next to my rookie year, this is the most excited I've been."
Old 05-16-2006   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
I feel the same way Chester:

"But going into my fifth season, next to my rookie year, this is the most excited I've been."
Chester Rules

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I can tell that some of you already are setting yourselves up for a big letdown with the "I'm looking for instant results" crud . . .

Chill. . . else you be running around acting like after about the 2nd preseason game.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #5
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I can tell that some of you already are setting yourselves up for a big letdown with the "I'm looking for instant results" crud . . .

Chill. . . else you be running around acting like after about the 2nd preseason game.
Sounds like you are setting yourself up also.

Minimal improvement = "I told you so"

Great improvement= " I'm so glad I was wrong"

Can't lose can you?

Old 05-16-2006   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Competition for starting jobs won't wait until training camp. The entire roster is expected to attend this week's sessions, with just a few sitting out because of lingering injuries from last season.
Voluntary in name only - not that anyone who hopes to compete would dare miss them if they were

Quote:
"I think it'll be good for us to constantly have guys working to keep their jobs, because that's what the NFL is supposed to be about," said Antwan Peek, who is making the shift from outside linebacker to defensive end. "If one guy is competing better than the other, then he deserves to have that position. And I think that will keep guys more focused and more on top of the things that they need to be doing. I think it'll benefit us."
It is refreshing to see that the players will really be competing for their jobs.

Quote:
I consider not being embarrassed by the play on the field to be an improvement, and I think we'll meet that minimum requirement. We'll look like a professional team on the field, we'll compete, and wins will follow at some rate.
Old 05-16-2006   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
there is always the draft listen even pre-season is important,YOU PLAY LIKE YOU PRACTICE, everything is important and even the smallest detail is a part of THE BIG PICTURE.

some of us are for the first time are not only giddy about the prospects for improvement but feel this franchise has truely turned the corner even if its another 5 year plan we're all on board- winning will prove us out, but for those who choose the negative, prove it first mentality thats understandable for those so inclined

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-16-2006   #8
SnakeOilTanker
Veteran

when do we get to see pictures. I wanna see how Mario looks in deep steel blue
SnakeOilTanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #9
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
there is always the draft listen even pre-season is important,YOU PLAY LIKE YOU PRACTICE, everything is important and even the smallest detail is a part of THE BIG PICTURE.

some of us are for the first time are not only giddy about the prospects for improvement but feel this franchise has truely turned the corner even if its another 5 year plan we're all on board- winning will prove us out, but for those who choose the negative, prove it first mentality thats understandable for those so inclined
First of all, let's be real. Nothing is as boring as pre-season. The teams put their first units in for a few plays and then yank them out. The only folks that get any playing time are for the most part players who won't even be around come September. Nuff said about pre-season. Secondly, Capers improved this team from 2002 to 2004 so it's not like the Texans have never gone through that experience. As far as being "giddy" goes, I feel just the exact opposite. I cheered myself hoarse for this team for four years. But with the firing of Capers and the hiring of Kubiak, I feel the excitement and intensity has disappeared. The players will always be positive because that's their job. Obviously they are hopeful they will do better, but they would be hopeful no matter who the coach is. I believe there has been a lot of revisionist history floating around regarding this team where Capers suddenly has become the worst coach ever. Funny how that wasn't the case back from 2002-4 and when people began to talk playoffs before the 2005 seaon. If the Texans were so bad and if Capers was such a bad coach, I doubt folks would have been talking like that. People don't say, "Our team stinks and our coach is awful, but we're going to the playoffs next year!" No, Capers gave them reason for optimism due to the team's performance on the field. But he had a bad year -- as did Holmgren and Paul Brown and Cowher -- and he was summarily ushered out the door. Now the team is left with an inexperienced coach as well as an inexperienced staff and they are the only football people in the organization at this time. Sorry, I see no reason to be "giddy."
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I got that "guarded optimism" thing going. In other words, I'm feeling positive but keeping my expectations under control, that way you don't set yourself up for a big letdown. And it just wouldn't be realistic to get too cocky, afterall we did have the worst record in the NFL last year.
Even these "organized workouts", or whatever they call them, are of great interest to me, and when we finally get into full blown TC in July, that's a big
deal.
But I'm pretty much with Chester on this, probably my most exciting season
with the Texans since their inaugural year.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Y'know........ I kinda agree with Bobo.... The team was on an upswing since the 2002 season. & I put alot of the blame on David Carr. Many feel that is unfair, but that's the way it is. Yes, our game plan was silly last year. But I honestly think the offense regressed in the past three years.... I don't know if that was Capers being cautious...... or because he didn't feel good about David Carr.

I'm not trying to bag on David, but trying to look at the whole picture. There is usually a reason why an offense would get simpler & simpler over time, & it usually isn't because the coach grows more cautious as he gets older. Especially not when he's got the same team he's been coaching for 4 years. We didn't draft one OL in '04....... and didn't add any personnell to the line. We weren't the only ones who could see problems on our OL...... every fan of every team that played us knew it...... every coach of every team that played us knew it.... & even though the guys on ESPN never talked about us, they knew it......... are we supposed to believe Capers was the only one who didn't see it??

Then Reeves comes in, and says it isn't the talent....... we have plenty of that. Kubiak comes in, and ratifies the decision, by resigning everyone of our starters.... minus Milford Brown, who was picked up to start with that Arizona Cardinals..... a team that drafted Fitzgerald, & Bolden, who picked up Kurt Warner, and Edge, drafted Lienart....... Denny Green has made a lot of "smart" personell decisions, we can only assume this is one of them.

So who's going to start next year?? Same guys as last basically.Wand, Pitts, Flanagan(new guy) McKinney, and Wiegart/Winston(new guy)....

I'm not a coach...... and you guys know my football knowledge ain't all that. But I do help with my daughters softball team. & I've noticed when there is a particular pitcher on the mound, the rest of the team doesn't try as hard, as when one of the other girls is pitching. This particular pitcher criticises the rest of the team, and her attitude, is that she is stuck with a bad team. But they play well, for the other pitchers.

I'm not saying David criticizes the rest of the team, or that he gives off a "I'm better than you" attitude. But something isn't right, & I think Carr is at the heart of it. Hopefully, the players are giving everyone a new slate, and they can start from scratch, and really put something together.

But whatever.

I don't think this is going to be a totally new system...... We're going to improve on the zone blocking that we've run for the last two year. We're going to get the tightend more involved, we're going to protect our QB, and we are going to be more agressive., less predictable.

If we'd have been a little more aggresive last year, and less predictable, we'd have won at least 3 more games. & if our D didn't go to sleep in the 4th, we'd have won 4...... so that's 7 wins, we should've been 9-7. I'm going from there, when I predict our 13-3 in 2006.

I'm going to be disappointed if we don't make it...... but no more disappointed than any of us should be if we don't go 8-8, or if we don't make the play-offs.
Old 05-16-2006   #12
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

As is often said one can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Yes, reports on how people are looking will be very informative. Many of us believe that Carr will be a lot better under Kubiak. The WR's and TE's should be a lot better. We will want to know how people are fitting in and how the timings look. We want to know how MW is looking. Yes, there is a lot to look forward to from both a hearing and seeing point of view. I still believe that we are going to be the shock of the league this year. The one thing that is worrisome is DD's knee. He really is a big piece of our offense.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #13
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Y'know........ I kinda agree with Bobo.... The team was on an upswing since the 2002 season. & I put alot of the blame on David Carr. Many feel that is unfair, but that's the way it is. Yes, our game plan was silly last year. But I honestly think the offense regressed in the past three years.... I don't know if that was Capers being cautious...... or because he didn't feel good about David Carr.

I'm not trying to bag on David, but trying to look at the whole picture. There is usually a reason why an offense would get simpler & simpler over time, & it usually isn't because the coach grows more cautious as he gets older. Especially not when he's got the same team he's been coaching for 4 years. We didn't draft one OL in '04....... and didn't add any personnell to the line. We weren't the only ones who could see problems on our OL...... every fan of every team that played us knew it...... every coach of every team that played us knew it.... & even though the guys on ESPN never talked about us, they knew it......... are we supposed to believe Capers was the only one who didn't see it??

Then Reeves comes in, and says it isn't the talent....... we have plenty of that. Kubiak comes in, and ratifies the decision, by resigning everyone of our starters.... minus Milford Brown, who was picked up to start with that Arizona Cardinals..... a team that drafted Fitzgerald, & Bolden, who picked up Kurt Warner, and Edge, drafted Lienart....... Denny Green has made a lot of "smart" personell decisions, we can only assume this is one of them.

So who's going to start next year?? Same guys as last basically.Wand, Pitts, Flanagan(new guy) McKinney, and Wiegart/Winston(new guy)....

I'm not a coach...... and you guys know my football knowledge ain't all that. But I do help with my daughters softball team. & I've noticed when there is a particular pitcher on the mound, the rest of the team doesn't try as hard, as when one of the other girls is pitching. This particular pitcher criticises the rest of the team, and her attitude, is that she is stuck with a bad team. But they play well, for the other pitchers.

I'm not saying David criticizes the rest of the team, or that he gives off a "I'm better than you" attitude. But something isn't right, & I think Carr is at the heart of it. Hopefully, the players are giving everyone a new slate, and they can start from scratch, and really put something together.

But whatever.

I don't think this is going to be a totally new system...... We're going to improve on the zone blocking that we've run for the last two year. We're going to get the tightend more involved, we're going to protect our QB, and we are going to be more agressive., less predictable.

If we'd have been a little more aggresive last year, and less predictable, we'd have won at least 3 more games. & if our D didn't go to sleep in the 4th, we'd have won 4...... so that's 7 wins, we should've been 9-7. I'm going from there, when I predict our 13-3 in 2006.

I'm going to be disappointed if we don't make it...... but no more disappointed than any of us should be if we don't go 8-8, or if we don't make the play-offs.
I disagree with your statement on Carr, but only time will tell. The reason I disagree is if you think back who Carr hit in the back with a pass, because he wasn't ready to receive it. Basically, except for AJ we really went out and totally replaced our WR's and TE's. They changed that group of players for a reason. I think the answer was our receivers as a whole really weren't that good and nobody wanted to believe that. Remember, everyone was always saying we needed to take the pressure off of AJ. Well, no receiver we had could do that. Now, we have a new group of players who look like they are a very good unit. If Carr can't play well with this group, providing the O-line holds up, then I will agree with you.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #14
wrestler4life
Veteran

Curious then if Carr will be at these practices?
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestler4life
What? Of course he is - why wouldn't he be? Did I miss something?
Old 05-16-2006   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestler4life
I'm more curious to see if Carr will be staying after practice.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #17
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Oh Oh. Here we go...
Old 05-16-2006   #18
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
The one thing that is worrisome is DD's knee. He really is a big piece of our offense.
After 2-14, there are many things to be worrisome about. However, the fact that DD is still imited to not be able to participate is a giant red siren going off with bells, horns, and whistles. So basically, it has been 6 months and the knee is still a problem.

And in two months, he is going to start pounding the knee again and then really start pounding it about a month and a half after that... Then the knee needs to stay healthy for 17 weeks (plus hopefully an extra week or two).

I hope Morency gets plenty of prep time in TC, otherwise we have some real 'green' RB's to shoulder the running offense this year.

My bet is DD is reinjured by week 4. Love the guy, but starting to think that he will never be healthy for a full season.
Old 05-16-2006   #19
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss

I understand this criticism, but I don't think Carr fits in this example. Perhaps last year the team started becoming critical of Carr because he wasn't helping to turn the bad luck...but look at all the hard work he's put in this offseason. I'll say that if I had my choice of being on the team that had the hardest working QB in the league...it'd definitely be the Texans. Whether we do well or not this season, Carr is making sure (as well and AJ and the other vets that have been showing up this offseason) that at least HE has done everything he can.

And anyways, they didn't play too well for Banks either...
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson
However, the fact that DD is still imited to not be able to participate is a giant red siren going off with bells, horns, and whistles. So basically, it has been 6 months and the knee is still a problem.

And in two months, he is going to start pounding the knee again and then really start pounding it about a month and a half after that... Then the knee needs to stay healthy for 17 weeks (plus hopefully an extra week or two).

I hope Morency gets plenty of prep time in TC, otherwise we have some real 'green' RB's to shoulder the running offense this year.

My bet is DD is reinjured by week 4. Love the guy, but starting to think that he will never be healthy for a full season.
I like Morency's game and now that he has a feel for the pro game (no more rookie jitters) I think he can become a hell of a back for us. Dom's knee is probably why we are looking so hard at extra backs this offseason (not to appear as Mr Obvious), but 'green' backs are not worrysome imo. Morency and Smith have enough NFL experience to make our running game work. I can't wait to see Lundy as well.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read