Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-15-2006   #1
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default KFFL - Peek Re-signed

They are reporting that Peek was signed today (RFA?). Might this be the part that was needed to make the Bennet trade? Suposedly he was offered, but they turned it down....might it be because of not being signed? Either way, good to get him signed.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006   #2
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope that he sticks around here, but I think that he could fit in pretty well in NO.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 275466 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Sweet! The more players they have signed and ready going into training camp, the better they can focus on what's most important: football!
Old 05-16-2006   #4
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
They are reporting that Peek was signed today (RFA?). Might this be the part that was needed to make the Bennet trade? Suposedly he was offered, but they turned it down....might it be because of not being signed? Either way, good to get him signed.
yeeeeeeah peek is a machine on the field, we need him to stay in houston, id rather c wong or polk go altho they too are good players but they're getting old.....
Old 05-16-2006   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno.....but the way the new Texans coachs (including the HC), talked up
Peek, I figured he'd be with the team longer than Babin, but maybe they were just trying to build him up as trade bait ? If this report is true about
his resigning, he should be more marketable now as long as they got a reasonable good deal with him. And IMO they really are interested in the NOLA RB Bennent because DD is still laid up with his bum knee, according to reports.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #6
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

He already was signed for his RFA year, but does this mean he signed a long term deal?
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #7
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatikid
He already was signed for his RFA year, but does this mean he signed a long term deal?
His RFA was tendered (offered) by the club, but as I read the KFFL thing, it sounds like he has just now signed it. Might be a longer deal, but doesn't sound that way.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-16-2006   #8
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

I hope they don't give up Peek for Bennett!
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #9
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr
I hope they don't give up Peek for Bennett!
I agree with that.
Old 05-16-2006   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 132014 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always felt he was overrated a bit around here. Excellent special team player, but not the dynamic edge rusher everyone thought he was going to be...still waiting on that one.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #11
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

For me his pash rushing skills were "over-hyped" 2 years ago when he was a "situational" pash rusher (in between dog house trips) ..... he comes in fresh against tired OLinemen and makes a few sacks ... suddenly we're all (me included) thinking wow if Capers/Fangio would get this guy on the field more often ....
Old 05-16-2006   #12
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
For me his pash rushing skills were "over-hyped" 2 years ago when he was a "situational" pash rusher (in between dog house trips) ..... he comes in fresh against tired OLinemen and makes a few sacks ... suddenly we're all (me included) thinking wow if Capers/Fangio would get this guy on the field more often ....
That is a flawed arguement. If the oline was that tired then why didnt the guy he was replacing get the sack the plays right before he came in? I dont think you can evaluate anyones skills on the defense the last couple of years because of how flawed the system was. He will be much better this season if he gets a chance to play.
Old 05-16-2006   #13
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

I thought other posts suggested Babin was the offered player. Now it's Peek?
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #14
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
That is a flawed arguement. If the oline was that tired then why didnt the guy he was replacing get the sack the plays right before he came in?
Because the guy he replaced was just as tired as the OL ....

Quote:
I dont think you can evaluate anyones skills on the defense the last couple of years because of how flawed the system was. He will be much better this season if he gets a chance to play.

and if that's true I'll be cheering right along with you ....
Old 05-16-2006   #15
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I've always felt he was overrated a bit around here. Excellent special team player, but not the dynamic edge rusher everyone thought he was going to be...still waiting on that one.
From what they have shown on the field, Peek and babin are two halves of an outstanding pass rusher. Peek has excellent speed, but does not show a variety of moves of techniques. Babin has good multiple moves, but does not have the pure edge speed to set-up his guy on a regular basis. Honestly, i think both will be more effective playing along a line with other good pass rushers versus either being counted on as the main guy.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #16
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
From what they have shown on the field, Peek and babin are two halves of an outstanding pass rusher. Peek has excellent speed, but does show a variety of moves of techniques. Babin has good multiple moves, but does not have the pure edge speed to set-up his guy on a regular basis. Honestly, i think both will be more effective playing along a line with other good pass rushers versus either being counted on as the main guy.
I think they will both look better since you now have TJ playing his correct position as well. And I also wanted to point out that Peeks sack of Manning in Indy was on the first play of the game, so Im pretty sure his sacks arent all in garbage time. The real question is whether or not he will be on the field this season and at what position. Ive heard that he may still be at the strong side LB position as well as DE. If he does not get playing time this season he will be on another team next year where he will be playing, and playing in a better system that can show his talent.
Old 05-16-2006   #17
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

[quote=ArlingtonTexan]From what they have shown on the field, Peek and babin are two halves of an outstanding pass rusher.... QUOTE]

What he said...

Ive often felt Peek was a ST guy and situational rusher - not the big rush threat hes touted as. He seemed to get lucky on more than a few sacks and didnt seem to try as hard after a few plays when playing long series.

Babin to me still is a big reach thats never panned out and we paid way way way to much to get. We'll never get those picks back and for all his hype he hasnt produced worth crap on the field. I grant you he was switching from DE to OLB, but, jeez -he cant even make the starting lineup. - For a 1st rounder thats unacceptable in my book. Until he's making the probowl regularly, IMO we will have paid too much. He's got a who onle lot of hard work ahead. - I would be trying to trade him for Bennett for sure - at least Peek made sacks occassionaly

Last edited by U4ikrob; 05-16-2006 at 01:09 PM.
U4ikrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #18
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good I think he is going to be better with his hand in the ground the whole game.
Or even as a sub, that is a pretty good back up in Peek.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 132014 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
From what they have shown on the field, Peek and babin are two halves of an outstanding pass rusher. Peek has excellent speed, but does show a variety of moves of techniques. Babin has good multiple moves, but does not have the pure edge speed to set-up his guy on a regular basis. Honestly, i think both will be more effective playing along a line with other good pass rushers versus either being counted on as the main guy.
Babin has looked soft in his first two years and I'd guess carried more body fat than ideal. That either means his body is still changing or he is lazy. It could be a combination of both, but he didnít appear strong enough to bull rush a good DT last year. I look for a guy around his same bodyweight this year but with more definition. If we don't see that in camp, and instead see the same soft-looking Babin, he probably isn't going to make it. He doesnít have the frame to be a flabby DE.

imo Peek has to prove he can stop the run as a DE, because he wasn't good at it as 3-4 ROLB. I think he can be a good situational pass rusher, but I think we have a problem if he starts for us at RE.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #20
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be surprised if Babin is an early cut if they can manage the dead money. He is what he is.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read