Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-15-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Update on Bush Contract Negotiations

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2445011

Saints' top pick Bush wants to avoid holdout
ESPN.com news services

METAIRIE, La. -- New Orleans Saints rookie running back Reggie Bush says he wants to avoid a contract holdout at all costs.

"I told my agent I want to be in here in camp on time ... whatever it takes, I want to be in camp on time," the No. 2 overall draft pick out of Southern California told USA Today at the team's mini-camp on Saturday. "I think it is important to start off on a good foot and a good note, not only with the team but the city."

Saints general manager Mickey Loomis said negotiations are in the early stages with Bush, the newspaper reported in Monday's editions.

"We're encouraged he feels that way, but we haven't really started talking," Loomis said.
Old 05-15-2006   #2
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Default does this sound familiar

Here is Reggie claiming he won't hold out

"I told my agent I want to be here in camp on time, whatever it takes," Bush said. "I don't want to get caught up in holdouts. I think it's important to start off on a good note, not only with the team but with the city. ... I know the Saints are more than happy to have me here and we're looking forward to working together and not working against each other."

Here is Reggie telling Chronicle, it is just a matter of getting a deal done (remember $30 Mil signing bonus)

Bush said he had a productive series of meetings with the Texans today and this past Sunday during his pro day.

"I think now it is just about the draft and making this whole thing happen," Bush said at Reliant Stadium, following today's meetings.

Saints fans prepare to see a longer holdout than anyone can imagine, I bet Bush and his people discussing idea of sitting out and re-entering draft in 2007 (to get a NY/CA team).
Old 05-15-2006   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think you can just sit out a year and enter the drat again. They hold his rights for a couple years I think. At least thats how I understood the whole thing.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006   #4
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Why is it that so many Texans fans feel the need to put down Bush in order to justify the Williams pick? Why can't you look at it with the perspective that they were both outstanding college players with amazing upside and our organization decided that defense was a greater need to fill?

I wish Bush the best of luck in NO.
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006   #5
Rightnow
Veteran

It doesn't matter if he holds out all of the way until training camp, but he needs to sign before training camp. Some high draft picks intentionally hold out until the end of training camp to avoid the rigors of training. It normally backfires and they are injured because they aren't in shape. If he waits until after training camp to sign I doubt he will make the season uninjured.
Old 05-15-2006   #6
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65
I dont think you can just sit out a year and enter the drat again. They hold his rights for a couple years I think. At least thats how I understood the whole thing.
It's my understanding now for a long long time that if he doesnt sign with the current team and holds out till next year, he can re-enter the draft and sign with another team if he so choses.
Old 05-15-2006   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Reggie makes me laugh, he's a pretty funny guy. This doesn't have anything to do with us taking williams. I was pro bush but love the williams pick too, whatever helps the team out best.

Reggie is just trying to sound humble and well spoken to the media, the nation, and new orleans. the last thing people want to see is him complaining and whining..he knows that, he's not going to do that. I think he's more mature than that too.

He is being very politically correct and polite which is what he needs to do. I'm sure he did tell his agent he wants a done deal before training camp. he needs to train. this whole hamstring issue is probably a little out of proportion but the fact is everyone is afraid of him getting hurt. right now its not anything very physical so it's not that side of the game. It's just New Orleans is playing football with a 60million dollar crystal football...soooo afraid they are going to drop it and break it. I'd be very nervous too.

I told my agent I want to be in camp and that we can reach an agreement before then.

translation: I have faith that my agent can get me the 30mil guaranteed and 54million deal over 6 years...or more. Oh they'll reach an agreement and he'll be in camp...if its enough. "If he's not in camp its saints fault not his"
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2006   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

by the way, him sitting out an entire season and going to NY/CA seems a little unreasonable. Doesn't sound like that would be a very good move on sooo many levels. Interesting point though, but don't hold your breath.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The NFL is a business, plain and simple. Reggie wants to cash in, and that's his right. Dude is playing a rough sport, and every down could be his last. But it's still business at the end of the day, right or wrong (agree with it or not). I don't begrudge any player from trying to make what they can. Hey, that's showbiz.

But, Reggie's strategy to maximize his potential earnings by holding a team's feet over the fire is probably one of the top reasons he's not a Texan right now. Mr. McNair is running a business, too. Mario accepted the offer and can now focus his undivided attention on football.
Old 05-15-2006   #10
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Reggie's strategy to maximize his potential earnings by holding a team's feet over the fire is probably one of the top reasons he's not a Texan right now.
Agreed. It all came down to money in the end.... Mario was flipping over himself to take the 1st pick money, while Bush would have attempted to get more since he was the "safe" 1st pick (as if there is such a thing anyways).

In the end, I don't know what to think. I hear some older fans say things like "the Free Agency has destroyed the game" or that "it's too focused on money nowadays". I guess it's just the way of things, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name
you'll realize that what you think you know, you may not know at all. until then, i'll hold off saying "i told you so" because i too, know better.
It's all fun and games until someones Hamstring gets pulled before Training Camp.
Old 05-15-2006   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yeah like "mario" earned his 26 millions... what did that guy do in college to earn anything? he played good in what, 2-3 games against sub par competition?

reggie earns whatever he gets even before hitting the field because of his achievements, his difference in the community already is an indication. that's the difference between a mario williams and a reggie bush asking for "millions."

meanwhile, you can make excuses about this and that, but all you did was trade one "evil" for another.. you think mario is all that, well you sure better be right. at least with reggie, you know what you are getting. but if you want to make mario your superman in order to spite bush who was only asking for what he's worth (and will likely get anyway with the saints) then you're destined to have many a losing season and draft busts.

i know deep down, you guys are still in denial about it all.. one day maybe you'll realize that what you think you know, you may not know at all. until then, i'll hold off saying "i told you so" because i too, know better.

Dude, you're talking out your assumption now. I've never said anything bad about Bush, and would have been glad to have had him on our team. I'll even be rooting for the dude. I've always had love for the Saints...sort of my underdog NFC team, so it was cool that you guys got him. (Don't be a jerk Saints fan and turn me off to the team. It's one of the reasons I hate the Cowboys so much.)

But your first point is whack. NO rookie has earned his contract at this point. EVERYTHING is based upon potential until the season starts and they can prove their projected worth. Don't fool yourself otherwise.

As far as making excuses, FOR WHAT?
Old 05-15-2006   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Do you have a point in trolling another team's forum? Or is it just a pointless exorcise...

Bush hasn't played a down in the NFL, either. The guy has a ton of potential, but he's never played a down at the professional level. He's got just as much to prove as anyone else.

Why do you feel the need to rag on Mario Williams? YOUR team was probably going to take him with the 2nd pick anyway.
Old 05-16-2006   #13
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
for flawed logic, that's what.

did you guys even bother reading scouting reports?? i saw many negatives for mario, and only speculative ones for bush. but i guess that doesn't matter either with potentials, right? you guys have a sure fire pro bowler in williams, because man... he's just so big and fast. and management says so.
Here it comes, SMACK from a Saints fan. You said nothing negative about Bush? I've heard plenty: Not big enough, Not an every down back, Can't run up the middle. And I was a Bush supporter,however the Mario move was better for our team overall. We have a good RB already in DD, Our D really sucked last year. And we have only sucked for 4 years , Ya'll have sucked for at least a quarter of a century. Don't come in here judging our fans, we have our views and you have yours,fact is you have a good rookie on your team, but so do we.I hope yours lives up to all he is supposed to be,and ours to,but when it is all said and done the Saint's will ALWAYS have sucked for a longer period of time than the Texans.Go on down to the french quarter and talk your crap and leave it off of here.
Old 05-16-2006   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
for flawed logic
You've got two running backs....... making more money than any other team in the league, but you don't expect either to do as much as any other running back in the league making the same money.

You don't expect either of them to get 20 carries a game....... you don't expect either of them to play a majority of downs...... You don't expect either of them to be the man in the backfield.

flawed logic??

Nothing against Reggie Bush...... he may very well be all that...

Nothing against Duece..... I love his work ethic, and his humility....

but $50 mill................ a piece ???

and you don't mind paying it??

Wow.
Old 05-16-2006   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yeah, you paid an underachiever 26 million and wouldn't even negotiate with the overachiever on the difference of maybe 2 million?

yeah, sound business practices there.. keep this up and you guys might be moving YOUR team to los angeles
Sir step away from the raw oysters and hurricanes it is effecting your sharing of best business practices. Houston is not going anywhere and the NFL is not going to allow McNair's Texans to go anywhere as the business plan is a lucrative one in a short time and with a bad product. Check this list out on team valuations. Don't bother checking for the Saints on page one, skip to the funny pages on page 2 to find the joke that is the Aints.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/30/Rank_1.html
Old 05-16-2006   #16
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

UserName

Is that you?

Proud Saints fans did come up with a novel way to show love to their team.

Old 05-17-2006   #17
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
for flawed logic, that's what.

did you guys even bother reading scouting reports?? i saw many negatives for mario, and only speculative ones for bush. but i guess that doesn't matter either with potentials, right? you guys have a sure fire pro bowler in williams, because man... he's just so big and fast. and management says so.
How a fan of a team can come here and talk smack when they are going to have a part-time running back in Bush, but they are going to pay him a mint. You are going to have a awesome RB, but the money will have to be pulled from other areas...and you need it badly in other areas. Before it is all over with... Bush will be a downfall, not a uptake to your team. His money hit will drive out other good players replacing them with our backups.. which isnt good. Bush is all that and a bag of chips alright, only problem is... you needed to address other areas to insure you are a playoff team. Yes.. Bush was BPA, but his 15 carries a game at his price tag is going to hurt you in the long and playoff run.
Old 05-17-2006   #18
Trapped
Veteran

Bush reminds me of Kobe Bryant(pre-rape trial).

As in, i always felt Kobe was a good actor in portraying such a squeaky clean image in his early years. He just seems to be a machine that was processed to say all the right things. He saying all these things, but does he really mean it???

for some reason, i can't really explain it, but Bush definitely has the potential to be a hate him or love him type of athlete much like Kobe Bryant, Barry Bonds, etc.....
Most users ever online was 1,493, 04-28-2006 at 09:04 PM
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #19
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

well if a player is dominant and their team wins, they'll be love/hated. jordan was hated by a lot of people, and he was (relatively) squeaky clean. nice guy, never played dirty, etc. but this is the saints we're talking about here, they won't win a damn thing.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #20
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
reggie earns whatever he gets even before hitting the field because of his achievements, his difference in the community already is an indication. that's the difference between a mario williams and a reggie bush asking for "millions."

i know deep down, you guys are still in denial about it all.. one day maybe you'll realize that what you think you know, you may not know at all. until then, i'll hold off saying "i told you so" because i too, know better.

Someone want to mind separating this guys lips from Reggie Bush's butt?
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read