Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-15-2006   #1
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 89864 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Question Question About Eric Winston

If this has already been discussed on here I must have missed it.

This is from a draft report on PFW.

66. Houston (from New Orleans) ó OT Eric Winston, Miami (Fla.)
Very good value in the third round, Winston could turn out to be a steal at this spot and has the potential to develop into a starter at left tackle despite his short arms. He is an ex-tight end with nice feet but did not play at full health as a senior coming off a knee injury and slipped in the draft after rubbing evaluators the wrong way in interviews.

Any word on how he rubbed evaluators the wrong way?

Old 05-15-2006   #2
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
Any word on how he rubbed evaluators the wrong way?
Probably the same way that Reggie rubbed Kubiak the wrong way during his interview.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006   #3
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

I have the PFW 2006 Draft Preview. The Preview gave detailed descriptions of each prospect, dividing the information into Notes, Positives, Negatives and Summary. In its description of Winston, under Negatives, it said "[c]an come off as arrogant and rubbed some teams the wrong way during team interviews. Made some insulting remarks to teams at the Combine."

After reading that, I had the same question as you regarding the nature of the "insulting remarks". Perhaps he insulted teams he didn't want to play for...
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006   #4
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't Drew Rosenhaus his agent?
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope he's as good as his (apparent) arrogance makes him appear to think he is. If he could push for and win the starting RT spot from the start, it would make a nice battle for starting RG between McKinney and Weigert. I'd like to have quality depth for a change.
Old 05-15-2006   #6
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Well IMO, unless we're talking about D'Brickashaw Ferguson, I'm not excited about having any rookies starting on the OL this season.

I'm really tired of having throw these rookies to the wolves before they're given a half decent chance to develop. Winston and justice were depth picks, not starting postion picks. If you want to throw them out there at the very beginning before they get a chance to figure out what's going on . . . then get your 'bust' tag ready.

Sincerely,

David Carr
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't hear a 610 interview Winston had, but heard a replay of some excerpts from his interview in the last few days and trust me, the guy does
not have a inferiority complex. I'm paraphrasing here, but he said things like
he'd put his game up agianst anybodys game, and he was ready to go out and
prove himself. A lot of the NFL rookies come off as humble, grateful to be
in the league, etc. but this guy has an attitude. I also think he's somewhat
upset about being on the Board until the 3rd round, given that at one time he
was thought to be a solid 1st rounder.
Now I dunno, maybe that did rub some people wrong ?
The big concern about Winston is whether or not he's fully recoverd from
his knee injury he suffered back in 2004 ? For example, just a couple months ago in the Senior Bowl game in Mobile, he did not look good.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2006   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
For example, just a couple months ago in the Senior Bowl game in Mobile, he did not look good.
There is always he chance that he lasted until the 3rd round because all of the professional evaluators picked up on the fact that he wasn't a first or second round talent.

Training camp is going to be fun this year. I agree with Marcus on this one, as I've said previously it is hard for a 3rd round o-lineman to be an immediate rookie contributor. We'll see what his attitude does for his play. Maybe he will surprise me and tear it up.
Old 05-15-2006   #9
The Preacher
Veteran

Well, he gid go the U where humility must not be an emphasis. Let's hope his attitude at least conforms with a team style of play. Unless he is drawing personal fouls which I never heard he had a problem with it can't be too terrible a thing since. Maybe he should go up against Mario in rookie drills and see how big a man he is. That should help bring him back to earth. I have a feeling Mario may be able to just stiff arm him though with the arm length differential. From what I have seen Mario will excel against those type of linemen.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006   #10
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I don't think that his attitude will be that big of a problem for us. He's just got to go out there and let his talent do the talking, not his mouth.
Old 05-15-2006   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

two years ago Eric Winston was considered the top Left tackle prospect in College Football, then at the beginning of the 2004 season he tore his acl & did not play another down until 2005. ok so he lost his lateral flexibility & some speed but he sill stacks up well with the best in the class of 06, his hand punch, frame & overall technique is as refined as anyone, as he stated.

sure I'd be pissed or you would be pissed if you slipped all the way from a top 10 pick to a 3rd rd. pick due to an injury beyond your control. but herein lie's the rub, offensive linemen don't get the respect that other skilled positions receive unless beyond a shawdow of a doubt your a franchise Left Tackle. In two or three years if he continues to rehab his knee I feel he still has the chance to be that franchise LT.

but here is what frustrated him & caused him to slip- measureables. Yes the same measureables that rose Mario Williams & Vernon Davis to soar affected some players like Winston the opposite. so what if he has short arms & a narrow base compared for instance to D'Brickashaw or even Davin Joseph? the guy in his prime played on a dominant program, with superior talent and performed at a Pro-Level even after coming back from acl injury. My guess is this would put a chip on anyones shoulder that would come across loud & clear interviewing him, but luckily for the Texans he will come into camp ready to prove himself and all those teams who overlooked him because of his short arms & cocky attitude

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006   #12
gsbtxn
Veteran

I heard him saying in an interview that he was looking forward to going against Mario in practice so that they can help make each other better. There was nothing that I heard in that interview that would have made me say he had an attitude problem. He takes pride in helping his quarterback stay on his feet.
Adoptor of Eric Winston #73
gsbtxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbtxn
I heard him saying in an interview that he was looking forward to going against Mario in practice so that they can help make each other better. There was nothing that I heard in that interview that would have made me say he had an attitude problem.
That's not the same interview I'm referring to in my earlier post. And I'm familiar with the interview you are referring to here. But trust me, 2 different interviews.
Couple things - I don't have a problem if the guy has a big mouth and I don't think the NFL people do either. I think the concern about him still centers
around his knee injury, because he was not impressive when I saw him play
last year nor this year in the Senior Bowl, but by all reports he was so impressive in 2003 & before his injury in 2004 he was expected to come out
early after 2004 and probably go in the first round of the 2005 Draft.
Now for his sake and ours, maybe he'll be completely recovered and turn out
to be a stud tackle for us. Maybe even our franchise LT we've been looking
for, 'cause our franchise sure deserves a streak of good fortune at that
position.
Old 05-15-2006   #14
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

He played at The U. It seems like most of the guys that graduate from there have a superiority complex and are not humble. AJ is the exception, of course.
Old 05-15-2006   #15
gsbtxn
Veteran

Yeah, I was referring to an interview on 790. Sorry if I was unclear...
Adoptor of Eric Winston #73
gsbtxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006   #16
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 428 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didn't hear a 610 interview Winston had, but heard a replay of some excerpts from his interview in the last few days and trust me, the guy does
not have a inferiority complex. I'm paraphrasing here, but he said things like
he'd put his game up agianst anybodys game, and he was ready to go out and
prove himself. A lot of the NFL rookies come off as humble, grateful to be
in the league, etc. but this guy has an attitude. I also think he's somewhat
upset about being on the Board until the 3rd round, given that at one time he
was thought to be a solid 1st rounder.
Now I dunno, maybe that did rub some people wrong ?
The big concern about Winston is whether or not he's fully recoverd from
his knee injury he suffered back in 2004
? For example, just a couple months ago in the Senior Bowl game in Mobile, he did not look good.
He ran a 4.8 or 4.9 at the combine, I think his knee is fine.
I am glad he his high on him self and says what he wants, I would rather have a OLINEMAN like that then the passive kind, your job as a OLineman is not to make friends with the other team.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
I am glad he his high on him self and says what he wants, I would rather have a OLINEMAN like that then the passive kind, your job as a OLineman is not to make friends with the other team.
Ditto. I think an injection of "attitude" might be good for our offensive line. I trust Mike Sherman knows how to keep that from getting out of hand. In the meantime it will be nice to see someone out there with a little swagger to their step as opposed to the hunched over and apologizing to the QB look we have been seeing on the field and the downcast eyes we get in postgame interviews.

I want Seth Wand to hang out with this guy. I want him to base the rest of his life on Eric Winstons teachings.
Old 05-15-2006   #18
66cobra
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
He also had a very good, if not great (for O-Linemen), short shuttle time if I am not mistaken..
66cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

I'm aware of Winston's 4.9 40, which is impressive, but sorry guys I'm not buying it.
Before his injury in 2004, Winston was rated so highly that a lot of people had
him being takin as a top 10 overall if he came out as a junior in the 2005 Draft. I don't know if Ferguson was even ranked as high as Winston back then ? But after the injury, whole different story.
There was no less than 7 tackles, even not so highly rated players like Jeremy Trueblood and Andrew Whitworth who wouldn't have been mentioned in the same sentence with Winston pre injury, who were drafted ahead of the U tackle this year.
And he drops all the way to the third round ! Maybe the knee is OK now, but
IMO that only means something else is amiss with the guy ? Unless he was just totally overrated to begin with, and teams finally discounted him all the
way to his real value. Another theory would be he's not really tackle material, but could be an NFL guard ?
Old 05-15-2006   #20
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
I'm aware of Winston's 4.9 40, which is impressive, but sorry guys I'm not buying it.
Before his injury in 2004, Winston was rated so highly that a lot of people had
him being takin as a top 10 overall if he came out as a junior in the 2005 Draft. I don't know if Ferguson was even ranked as high as Winston back then ? But after the injury, whole different story.
There was no less than 7 tackles, even not so highly rated players like Jeremy Trueblood and Andrew Whitworth who wouldn't have been mentioned in the same sentence with Winston pre injury, who were drafted ahead of the U tackle this year.
And he drops all the way to the third round ! Maybe the knee is OK now, but
IMO that only means something else is amiss with the guy ? Unless he was just totally overrated to begin with, and teams finally discounted him all the
way to his real value. Another theory would be he's not really tackle material, but could be an NFL guard ?
A lot of people were saying short arms equated to a guard, not a tackle. For us that's ok as we need both and Wiegert is getting up in years. Wade is simply not what we need, so Winston probably fills more than one spot we have need at.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read