Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-14-2006   #1
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default In hind sight: McNeil vs. Lundy

I'm a bit perplexed about our 6th round pick. I realize that we're going to be a predominately run oriented team with the new system, but in my opinion, Reggie McNeil would've been the better choice with our 6th round pick.

We could've picked up an undrafted RB comparable to Lundy, like Mike Bell, Gerald Riggs, or Derrick Ross (maybe, even Lundy) to be our 3rd or 4th RB. Or, as we're seeing now, make a trade for another team's 3rd string RB.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...40375/1062/SPT

McNeil is already being switched to the WR position in Cincinnati & has publicly stated that he's willing to do that, & is actually enjoying the challenge. At 6'2" 197lbs. & reportedly running a 4.36 40, he would've made a great WR prospect to groom behind Moulds. It's even been speculated that he's talented enough to switch to DB. Both positions could've used his talent.

I don't mean to be complaining about the moves of the front office, but this does make me question whether the Texans draft the BPA in the late rounds, or just draft for need. Any thoughts?

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006   #2
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

When it gets to the late rounds everyone's board is gonna be different when talking about BPA.
Old 05-14-2006   #3
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Right before the draft didnt they do a special on reggie mcneil and didnt he say that he had no interest whatsoever to switch positions. that he was a qb and that is all that he would be willing to play?? And they questioned him about his stance and his thoughts on whether he thought it would hurt his stock any....he replied he didnt think so and that he was unwilling to switch positions no matter what happened.

Guess that goes to show what the possibility of going undrafted at your position will do to your train of thought...on another note I think the lundy pick was good and will fit the zone system perfectly since he is a shifty runner with a good burst of speed through the line of scrimmage.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006   #4
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

An update on Reggie McNeal from kffl.com

Quote:
Bengals | McNeal looks good at WR
Sun, 14 May 2006 13:20:59 -0700

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals WR Reggie McNeal looked good making the transition from quarterback to wide receiver Saturday, May 13. McNeal flashed his 4.32, 40-yard speed as well as excellent cutting ability and turning the corner on routes across the middle and on out patterns. McNeal will not work at quarterback during the team's remaining three practices, according to head coach Marvin Lewis. McNeal could make the team as a No. 6 wide receiver and provide them with a wide receiver/quarterback threat
McNeal could make the team. That line stuck out. A #6 WR. Why would we want him. He's a long term project at WR and not a very good QB. I think the Lundy pick was a lot better than the Bengals pick of McNeal, considering at draft time Lundy was almost a lock to make the team behind Morency and Davis and McNeal would only be a #6 WR for us if that, and most likely wouldn't make the team.
Old 05-14-2006   #5
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

it all has to do with the personnel already on the team and our new HC's offensive philosophy. At WR, we're pretty set with AJ, EMo, Mathis, Walter, and Armostrong so McNeil would be in the same situation that he's in with Cincy. Lundy on the other hand (depending on trades and who does what), could see immidiate time at RB and develop into a decent backup in the future. Kubiak also runs the ball like crazy so a #3 RB has more value to him over a #6 WR.
Old 05-14-2006   #6
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

i live in lufkin and watched mcneil win a state title for us. it would of been nice to be able to see him in a texans uniform. the way he took over the second half of the state championship game was impressive. of course thats high school. he has a strong arm to go with that speed. i think he should go to canada and see if he could play qb.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006   #7
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

...is the draft over?
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-14-2006   #8
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie
Reggie McNeil would've been the better choice with our 6th round pick.

McNeil is already being switched to the WR position in Cincinnati & has publicly stated that he's willing to do that, & is actually enjoying the challenge.
Can Reggie McNeil catch? Can he run routes? Can he get separation? Can he keep his concentration going over the middle? I hate the idea of drafting McNeal to be a QB It makes no sense to let Jabar Gaffney go then turn around and draft McNeal to play his position.
Old 05-14-2006   #9
Mailman04
Veteran

I prefer Lundy over Reggie.
Mailman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006   #10
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman04
I prefer Lundy over Reggie.
I wouldnt go that far...I would much rather have reggie than lundy but I'll take mario over bush at the num 1 spot and am excited about getting lundy late in the draft, but if we could get reggie where we got lundy then I would be exstatic.
Old 05-14-2006   #11
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic
I wouldnt go that far...I would much rather have reggie than lundy but I'll take mario over bush at the num 1 spot and am excited about getting lundy late in the draft, but if we could get reggie where we got lundy then I would be exstatic.
Pretty sure he meant Reggie Mcneal.
Old 05-14-2006   #12
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker
Pretty sure he meant Reggie Mcneal.
Damn did i miss that one...guess i have reggie bush on the mind since arguing with some saints fan...thanks for the wake up call back to the topic....
Old 05-14-2006   #13
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I really wish we wo uld have took Reggie Mcneal though because we could have used him as a situational QB for us when we get close to the end zone to cause another threat.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic
I can see your point however this was clearly about filling a need position (power H back) over WR which they got a good one with David Anderson @ the end of the 7th http://www.houstontexans.com/team/ro....php?PRKey=217

I wish Reggie the best, he could certainly work out to be a beast or bust while Wali Lundy http://www.houstontexans.com/team/ro....php?PRKey=216 could do the same but he fills a vacant hole

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read