Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2006   #1
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Proof that the Texans were in panic mode at draft

if the texans werent in panic mode on the days leading up to the draft, then why didn't they have the foresight to approach New Orleans about a swapping of #1 and #2 picks? We knew that they already had a bunch of cap space tied up on Deuce and Bennett. We could have just simply traded our #1 pick and a 6th or 7th round pick to New Orleans for Bennett and the #2 overall pick. That would have been a much shrewder move. You would save a bit of money by drafting Mario #2, New Orleans gets Bush and drops the cap space of Bennett. I think from a football standpoint it sends a better message to your players and staff and from a public relation standpoint is sends a much better message to your fans and even the media.

Wouldnt that have made more sense? All it would have taken is one single phone call to the New Orleans FO and it could have happened. The New Orleans FO wouldnt want to give up anything to move up except dumping a player they would no longer need if they drafted Bush. Just thought it was a good idea and something that any smart GM would have thought of if they were indeed higher on Mario than Bush for the team.

I hope Mario kicks arse but I feel sorry for the guy with all the pressure on him and for Kubes if this doesnt work out. He might not be around too long if Mario is a bust...id say he will be gone Year 3 if the team still stinks and Mario is only an average DE or worse.....ESPECIALLY if Bush blows up

doug from the woodlands
Old 05-13-2006   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonIsOver
if the texans werent in panic mode on the days leading up to the draft, then why didn't they have the foresight to approach New Orleans about a swapping of #1 and #2 picks? We knew that they already had a bunch of cap space tied up on Deuce and Bennett. We could have just simply traded our #1 pick and a 6th or 7th round pick to New Orleans for Bennett and the #2 overall pick. That would have been a much shrewder move. You would save a bit of money by drafting Mario #2, New Orleans gets Bush and drops the cap space of Bennett. I think from a football standpoint it sends a better message to your players and staff and from a public relation standpoint is sends a much better message to your fans and even the media.

Wouldnt that have made more sense? All it would have taken is one single phone call to the New Orleans FO and it could have happened. The New Orleans FO wouldnt want to give up anything to move up except dumping a player they would no longer need if they drafted Bush. Just thought it was a good idea and something that any smart GM would have thought of if they were indeed higher on Mario than Bush for the team.

I hope Mario kicks arse but I feel sorry for the guy with all the pressure on him and for Kubes if this doesnt work out. He might not be around too long if Mario is a bust...id say he will be gone Year 3 if the team still stinks and Mario is only an average DE or worse.....ESPECIALLY if Bush blows up

doug from the woodlands

Explain how this constitutes proof??

In my world, proof...... suggests some kind of evidence...... so when you say Proof that the Texans were in Panic mode.....

folks like me expect to find evidence..

upon opening this thread, and finding none...... just more blabbering, do you have any idea what I'm thinking about you??
Old 05-13-2006   #3
Dunta_23
All Pro

Here are a couple of reasons that this did not happen...

1. Bob McNair wanted the player signed BEFORE the draft...its not worth risking having a holdout over a RB that MAY sit #3 on a depth chart and has a long list of injuries

2. Texans had no 5th and no 7th round picks this year so the 6th round pick was probably worth a little bit more to them with a decent amount of talent left on the board

3. How could u trust NO to not take Mario if he is your guy? again is it worth losing "your guy" for that RB that would most likely be a #3?
Old 05-13-2006   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

N.O. wanted Mario
Old 05-13-2006   #5
WiiBrawler
WiiMan

Rep Power: 11 WiiBrawler is on the Pro-Bowl ballotWiiBrawler is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via MSN to WiiBrawler Send a message via Yahoo to WiiBrawler Send a message via Skype™ to WiiBrawler

stop spamming the board honeymoon!

Sig By Michaelm
Formerly Carr2Johnson
Old 05-13-2006   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

this is a replay to your other "panic" mode topic on the other day 1 draft thread
Quote:
sometimes you just have a gut feeling about something and this just doesnt feel like it was a well conceived decision with the #1 overall pick. it felt thrown together, last minute and a total panic by McNair/Kubes/Cass.

doug from the woodlands
I personally don't agree with that. I don't think it was a panic session.. Especially with the timeframe we had to pick (i.e. Kubiak was hired weeks in advance and Reeves was in to consult).. I think we played a poker hand and tried to get someone to bite on a trade down .. the Drew Brees deal came for N.O. and helped them out tremendously and took our bargaining power away. Basically with that it meant that if we traded down , Mario Williams was a given to be a Saint being Qb wasn't a need and RB wasn't a need.. Jets wouldn't give N.O. (by reports) the #4 and #29 for "Superman" at #2 so we know that #1 overall wasn't getting that kinda deal.. With the Drew Brees deal and IF we traded down we would have lost out on Williams or Bush..so we did what we did
Old 05-13-2006   #7
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
N.O. wanted Mario
I heard the same thing. I don't think the entire set of NFL coaching and scouting staffs are as in love with Reggie Bush as the media and fans are.

Houston took Mario because they had the sack to do it. New Orleans didn't need a running back, but they took Bush because they didn't have the sack not to.
Old 05-13-2006   #8
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:

doug from the woodlands
Why in the blue blazes would you do that anyway? NO approached Houston about Bennett, not vice versa. Besides, trading picks with NO puts them in the catbird's seat -- you have to take their leftovers. And I wouldn't have been surprised if they would have taken Williams as well. Then Houston would have been stuck with Bush.
Old 05-13-2006   #9
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
Why in the blue blazes would you do that anyway? NO approached Houston about Bennett, not vice versa. Besides, trading picks with NO puts them in the catbird's seat -- you have to take their leftovers. And I wouldn't have been surprised if they would have taken Williams as well. Then Houston would have been stuck with Bush.
I agree 100%
Old 05-13-2006   #10
Samer
Veteran

Yeah Houston did the right then by taking Williams
Old 05-13-2006   #11
texansfaninla
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 texansfaninla has been demoted to the practice squad

Many of the people on this board amaze me at the lengths they will go to justify a bad decision. The Texans had a lot of different ways they could have done the draft, and they managed to do it in the absolute worst manner. One of you said that we would have "been stuck with Bush" if we hadn't gotten Mario. Are you serious? Did you watch college football at all last year? Yes, Bush got a lot of media hype. The guy was flat out electrifying in high school and college and deserved the attention. And he has the most potential of draftees in recent memory to make a positive lasting impact for whatever team took him. Plus he would have added a marketability nationally that has never existed with the franchise. On the other hand, Mario was a risk who himself couldn't believe he was the No. 1 pick. The Texans placed so much impetus on signing a guy before the draft that it skewed their judgment. Of course Mario would have signed earlier than anyone. He didn't expect to go higher than 5 before the freaking combine.

I think many Texans fans (at least on this board) are so high on the Battle Red Koolaid that they would defend the Texans over anything they do, no matter how stupid it is. If they resurrected Adolf Hitler and hired him as head coach, some people on this board would post things like, "Great move - I don't care what the media thinks. He's a terrific motivator and has a great offensive mind. We made the right move and everyone else in the world is wrong. Go Texans!" Geez, call a spade a spade every once in a while. They botched the draft, and now they are trying to cover their butts by stacking up RBs because it's a need they failed to address in the draft, even though the bar none top prospect was...a RB.
Old 05-13-2006   #12
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

I love how people think that it only takes one team to trade. Who says that CC didn't call the Saints anyways? From what I've read, CC called and got no takers for a trade. None. I wanted the Texans to trade down if they weren't going to take Young or Bush but if you can't work out a trade then you use your pick (unless you pull a Vikings).
Old 05-13-2006   #13
JAXwithanX
Veteran

lol...why in the hell do you sign stuff doug from the woodlands?

jackson from north shore
Old 05-13-2006   #14
gsbtxn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfaninla
Many of the people on this board amaze me at the lengths they will go to justify a bad decision. The Texans had a lot of different ways they could have done the draft, and they managed to do it in the absolute worst manner.
There are just as many people still hammering the Texans for this move as there are apologists. It reminds me of a pit bull once he has grabbed hold of the neighbor kid's leg and just won't let go. At this point both Bush and Williams are players with a high potential for success but also with a potential for failure. Neither one of these kids has suited up and taken a snap in an NFL game. It's entirely possible that the Texans will look stupid for this draft in years to come. It's also possible that they'll look brilliant. I'm willing to see how it's going to play out on the field before I condemn them for the choice they made.
Adoptor of Eric Winston #73
Old 05-13-2006   #15
Bob_A
Rookie

Old 05-13-2006   #16
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans have said that they were close enough on a deal that they could have signed Bush or Williams before the draft. They CHOSE Williams over Bush so people need to get over it. Once again, the Texans front office has stated that if they wanted Bush they could of had him signed prior to the draft. They were that close. The media and draft experts can't stand that the Texans didn't do what they wanted. Bob McNair and Gary Kubiak have some nuts. Give em some credit.
Old 05-13-2006   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

OK lets have another poll to see if the Texans could have appeased Honeymoon and Texansfanila .

The fact is nobody knows how this draft will play out . That will be determined in about 2 years .

If Bush is the real deal , N.O. has an element to compliment Brees , Deuce , Horn etc . If Mario's for real Peek has 8 sacks maybe , PBuch gets alot better and Drob is a pro-bowler . We will have a defense who teams fear because they can rush the passer with no gimmics . Straight up kick their ass ... priceless . Of course Reggie's running wide looking for an opening .

The same goofballs that passed on RB drafted a really good LB and two good OL prospects . In two years we might say our lines are the strength of our team . If our lines are the strength of our team ... we should be knocking on the Super Bowls door . We might not sale freakin Reggie Bush jerseys , but we'll be good .

Round Dan
Old 05-13-2006   #18
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Many of the people on this board amaze me at the lengths they will go to justify a bad decision. The Texans had a lot of different ways they could have done the draft, and they managed to do it in the absolute worst manner. One of you said that we would have "been stuck with Bush" if we hadn't gotten Mario. Are you serious? Did you watch college football at all last year? Yes, Bush got a lot of media hype. The guy was flat out electrifying in high school and college and deserved the attention. And he has the most potential of draftees in recent memory to make a positive lasting impact for whatever team took him. Plus he would have added a marketability nationally that has never existed with the franchise. On the other hand, Mario was a risk who himself couldn't believe he was the No. 1 pick. The Texans placed so much impetus on signing a guy before the draft that it skewed their judgment. Of course Mario would have signed earlier than anyone. He didn't expect to go higher than 5 before the freaking combine.

I think many Texans fans (at least on this board) are so high on the Battle Red Koolaid that they would defend the Texans over anything they do, no matter how stupid it is. If they resurrected Adolf Hitler and hired him as head coach, some people on this board would post things like, "Great move - I don't care what the media thinks. He's a terrific motivator and has a great offensive mind. We made the right move and everyone else in the world is wrong. Go Texans!" Geez, call a spade a spade every once in a while. They botched the draft, and now they are trying to cover their butts by stacking up RBs because it's a need they failed to address in the draft, even though the bar none top prospect was...a RB.
Yes, I'm serious. Bush wouldn't help this team when the Texans already have Davis. He'd be a player who would get limited touches on a team that has so many needs. Why in the world would you take some guy #1 and pay him a boatload of money when he wouldn't even be a full-time player? The NFL graveyards are filled with highly touted RBs that never worked out. Blair Thomas, Kiyanna Carter, Curtis Enis, Lawrence Phillips and Archie Griffin to name just a few. You've got to stop listening to the anachronistic newspaper people. They are just trying to hold onto their jobs and write stuff that is nothing but sensationalist garbage so they can somehow stem their declining circulation. I think it's you who are high on Reggie Bush Koolaid and you picked that up from the media. RBs are a dime a dozen -- why would you throw one away on a RB when folks pick them up with third and fourth-round draft choices? Plus, Bush is way, way overestimating his value and NO is going to have a heckuva time signing him. The draft pick was the right call. Thank goodness for the Texans that they have a good running game and an improved defense rather than, well, just a good running game. BTW, I'm one of the greatest critics of the Texans on this board so don't come running at me with this "defending Adolf Hitler" garbage. Besides that's just a rehash of KILT talkshow stuff. You might try to come up with something a litle original. It makes the discussion a bit more interesting. Or at least give KILT a credit somewhere in your post. As for marketability, give me a break. The season ticket sales are just as strong as ever. And if the Texans were going for marketability, they would have chosen VY.

Last edited by Bobo; 05-13-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-13-2006   #19
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If Bush is the real deal , N.O. has an element to compliment Brees , Deuce , Horn etc .
Umm, Deuce doesn't NEED somebody to "compliment" him. He's fine all by himself. Have you seen his accomplishments? Pro Bowl twice! Great rusher as well as receiver. The Saints got themselves into a problem that the Texans were smart enough to avoid. Now the Saints will have $90 million invested in one position -- and one ball. They will rue the day.
Old 05-13-2006   #20
texman8
Veteran

Quote:

Sorry, I have to disagree with some of your comments..."Justify a bad decision".....I along with some other posters would have been fine with Bush or Mario...especially Mario in a tradedown' that wasn't possible...no one wanted to trade to #1. VY supporters would probably disagree with Bush being the best prospect.

NO will find out how difficult it will be to sign Bush. I don't blame McNair for wanting the first pick to be signed before the draft. Bush's agent is at fault for not being flexible with guaranteed money so Bush would have been #1 pick.

Mario was most teams' #2 prospect and #1 on 6 teams' board. " He didn't expect to go higher than 5 before the freaking combine." Do you have a link or source for that comment?

Your Hitler analogy was totally uncalled for and way overboard. My dad and uncle served in US Army in WWII.

"it's a need they failed to address in draft" .....Most posters would agree the Texans did not have a strong need at RB...with DD and Morency there. The only reason some fans would have have been fine with Bush was his flexibilty and his explosiveness.

Kubiak decided addressing the defense was a more pressing priority...Mario would help improve Texans' run defense and pass rush. Just because you didn't like Texans picking Mario does it mean it was a "stupid decision"

Last edited by texman8; 05-13-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read