Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-12-2006   #1
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default The deep Freeze is on!

Since the CC thing, ESPN has nothing new, Houston Pro Football has nothing new, and the chronicle has nothing new to report. My gut feeling is that certain writers are not too happy and I think the same is true of the Texans. I believe information is going to be hard to come by and you can see it on this Web site.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #2
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Since the CC thing, ESPN has nothing new, Houston Pro Football has nothing new, and the chronicle has nothing new to report. My gut feeling is that certain writers are not too happy and I think the same is true of the Texans. I believe information is going to be hard to come by and you can see it on this Web site.
yeah bummer man
Old 05-12-2006   #3
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 48171 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We can always read the latest on everyones favorite rumor mill. Excerpts from an article there. Read the entire article on their site if you care to.

McCLAIN MOPS UP

Renowned and respected NFL journalist John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, who has drawn our ire of late with his decidedly un-journalistic approach to the dissolution of the relationship between Texans owner Bob McNair and G.M. Charley Casserly, finished the job in grand fashion in the paper's Thursday edition with a headline proclaiming that "McNair Rejects Reports That Casserly Was Fired."

Since we're the only quasi-publication that ever reported that Casserly was getting the heave-ho -- and since we received multiple communications from the team's front office disputing our report -- it's clear that McClain was referring to us.

McClain says that McNair "emphatically" denied that Charley got the pointy-toed boot. "No, he has not been fired, so you can forget that," McNair said during the press conference announcing Casserly's departure.

McClain also writes that Casserly is not happy with reports that his exit wasn't voluntary. "Yeah, I am upset about that," Casserly said. "I'm glad that question was asked and Bob answered it. I have not been fired. There's absolutely no truth to it. I could have stayed on but chose not to."

and

An industry source informed us on Wednesday that Broncos coach Mike Shanahan warned new Texans coach Gary Kubiak that Casserly would try to claim credit if/when Kubiak turns the team around. Thus, the thinking is that Kubiak concluded that Casserly needed to go. The source also told us that Casserly still wanted the team to select Reggie Bush with the first overall pick in the draft, and that it was McNair and Kubiak who came together and decided that Mario Williams was the right call -- especially since Kubiak's offenses in Denver churned up plenty of yards with no-name tailbacks.

Why do we care about any of this? Because we've got a low tolerance for bullsh-t. And we think that's precisely what the Texans have cooked up -- and what McClain has been serving with a side of home fries.

Finally, some might wonder why McNair would be so adamant that Casserly wasn't fired. Here's our theory. McNair feels genuine gratitude for Casserly's efforts,

Believe or dis-believe what you want.

Read it all here.

Old 05-12-2006   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ooooooh-B-K-B.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 304149 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

That's crazy drama. Who knows, who cares. I'm so freakin' ready for football season.
Old 05-13-2006   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I almost hate to say it, but I tend to believe McClain on this one.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

McNair was a nice guy to let Capers stay through the season. He was a nice guy to let Casserly stay through the draft. And he's a nice guy to allow Casserly, and to support Casserly, through the long walk of shame.

If people are peeved because McNair is lying by saying that Casserly wasn't fired, then that would be a lie worth permitting. It saves everyone face. And in today's day and age, saving face is not the protocol of big organizations. Give me a day when people who have done their job (maybe not "well," but they did their job) and still get keep their dignity if they have to leave the organization. We're showing the sports world how to run a franchise.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-13-2006   #8
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
That's crazy drama. Who knows, who cares. I'm so freakin' ready for football season.
Couldn't have said it better myself...
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #9
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

On the next episode of As the Football Turns: Charlie is mad at bob for covering up his firing. Gary watches the players perform for the first time and David isn't quite up to speed.
Old 05-13-2006   #10
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
On the next episode of As the Football Turns: Charlie is mad at bob for covering up his firing. Gary watches the players perform for the first time and David isn't quite up to speed.
Now THAT'S good family FUN!
Old 05-13-2006   #11
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
McNair was a nice guy to let Capers stay through the season. He was a nice guy to let Casserly stay through the draft. And he's a nice guy to allow Casserly, and to support Casserly, through the long walk of shame.
Personally I think the Texans should have kept Capers on for many aleady stated reasons. However, if you know you are going to fire a coach early in the season it is probably best to get rid of him quickly because, with the axe hovering over a coach's head, he's liable to do some things that wouldn't be beneficial for the team in the long run. For example, Carr started every game last year, even though things were hopeless. This would have been a perfect time to bring in someone like Ragone and see what he could do. But instead, Capers was trying to salvage his job and kept starting Carr in hopes of being able to say that the team was on the rise at the end of the season. Capers may have thought he had no stake in the future of the Texans and that his future was now. I don't fault him for that -- that's the norm and any coach in his position would do exactly that. Thus, a coach who is fighting to keep his job rather than the future ot the team might not be what the franchise wants to experience.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #12
touttail
All Pro

Quote:

I'm so with ya on this!
I am sooooooooo ready for the season to begin!
"I've been ready for some football"

Bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #13
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wake me up when Aug gets here!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #14
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Information about what? Casserly is gone, they said he wasn't fired, so unless anybody was there during the conversations they should leave sleeping dogs lay. It's a pity folks have nothing better to do rather than debate about if a guy was fired or not. I heard some guy on KILT gritch and moan about the "charade" while the other guy, who actually had some common sense, said, "Who cares, let's move on."
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #15
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Everytime I say that, my wife says "Gee Honey, I haven't heard you say that in the last five minutes."

I was thinking the other day someone should put one of those countdown timers on the website, counting down to the season opener.
Old 05-13-2006   #16
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I feel like that is the case all of the time. A good biproduct of having the number one pick was all the coverage we were getting, it was nice for a change. That's okay, let them shun us, they are fickle anyway all we have to do is kick some butt this season, and they will come runnin'.
Old 05-13-2006   #17
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
Information about what? Casserly is gone, they said he wasn't fired, so unless anybody was there during the conversations they should leave sleeping dogs lay. It's a pity folks have nothing better to do rather than debate about if a guy was fired or not. I heard some guy on KILT gritch and moan about the "charade" while the other guy, who actually had some common sense, said, "Who cares, let's move on."
I've been saying the same thing for some time now. I would like to hear interviews with the new coaches, what schemes perhaps they are thinking about using, how people are working out together, how are the coaches thinking they are going to use the extra training camps they are entitled to, and perhaps when is the 1st training camp? They don't want to talk about these kinds of things and I do belive it appears the two sides are mad at each other.
Old 05-13-2006   #18
TexansJunkE
Veteran

ESPN is like a Tabloid magizine. They only report what is gossip and if it is true they are more times than not the last to report it. Thank You for NFL Network. I think we should Boycott ESPN! Who's with me?
Old 05-15-2006   #19
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Still not much coming out of Houston's favorite newspaper concerning the Texans. I still say there is a lot of unhappy reporters out there.
Old 05-15-2006   #20
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Here is the reason Casserly was kept through the draft:

If this draft class and FA signings are a success, Kubiak gets credit.

If this draft class and FA signings are a failure, Casserly gets the blame.

IMO that was a smart PR move by McNair. Much smarter than the way they handled the Mario Williams/Reggie Bush/Vince Young scenario.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read