Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-12-2006   #1
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas
Default Hines Ward cracks on P.Manning

Success going to Ward's head?posted: Thursday, May 11, 2006 | Feedback

It's not that I don't like Hines Ward as a player, or as a person for all the charity work he's been doing lately for biracial kids. It's that I don't like what he's saying.
I ran across this in Wednesday's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

"Hey, Peyton Manning," Ward said. "I know you're great and all, but you don't have a ring. You can be all this, all world, but you don't have a ring. I have a ring. There's nothing you can say to me right now."

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...ickersham_seth

thats comical
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to wonder what prompted this outburst by Ward. It seems strange to come from nowhere, so I'd like to see the background of this statement.
Old 05-12-2006   #3
DoCRoN
Veteran

Section: 608!!
Rep Power: 1328 DoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ward v. Manning

I take it as him responding to a 'general' question or situation... Sounds like he just picked 'Manning' but could have used any other stud player that hasn't won a ring... What do y'all think?

link - http://post-gazette.com/pg/06130/688814-66.stm
Old 05-12-2006   #4
Fldvldog
Veteran

I find it hilarious, because, quite frankly, it's true
Fldvldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #5
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

There are tons of hall of fame players in every sports league that don't have championship rings. That's just the way it is.

Makes him sound pretty immature.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #6
ATX_Texan
Veteran

I think part of it is the disrespect the media gave to the Steelers prior to the game with Indy. The media was ready to proclaim the Colts the greatest team in NFL history before the regular season was even over (much like USC before the Rose Bowl).

Of course, Peyton was overhyped more than any other player on this overhyped team. In the end, Manning choked in the big game, like he always does. The so-called greatest quarterback in the NFL looked mighty confused when it really counted. His antics of calling plays at the line looks great against the bottom feeders of the NFL and he certainly loves to run up the score on these teams. However, he wilts under pressure when playing against the Florida Gators, New England Pats, and Steelers. Give me Brady or Big Ben any day over this guy.

Most great quarterbacks can ran an offense by the book for the most part and then improvise when things are not going well. Instead, he improvises when there is no pressure and cannot make a play when the game is on the line.

When Manning finally wins a Super Bowl, he can talk some smack.
Old 05-12-2006   #7
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
There are tons of hall of fame players in every sports league that don't have championship rings. That's just the way it is.

Makes him sound pretty immature.
Good point he's acting like he's better than everyone else just because he finally won a Super Bowl. Once Peyton wins one he should rub it in Wards face.
Old 05-12-2006   #8
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
Good point he's acting like he's better than everyone else just because he finally won a Super Bowl. Once Peyton wins one he should rub it in Wards face.
He should'nt fuel the fire in this man:
:brickwall
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #9
wicked_wayz
all blacks

i feel 4 manning he by fars is one of the greats but when it comes down to the games that really matter he seems to choke. id pick brady over ne 1, brady has the ability to win games under xtreme presure even though he doesn't have the recievers that manning, palmer and steve young has had
Old 05-12-2006   #10
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Steve McKinney said one time that Peyton is a Pre Madona.
Want to believe it or not but I dont think many people like Peyton very much, on or off the field.
For a guy like Ward to say something like that Peyton probably said something stupid, running out of time Peyton cause we got something for you this year <<<<<Peyton
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #11
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

manning doesn't choke in the big games. he chokes when the defense is in his face, big games or preseason games. if he was in a big playoff game and he didn't get any pressure on him from the defense, he'd be lights-out. like against kansas city 3 years ago. a week after his first playoff win and he was on the road in a TOUGH environment? TONS of pressure there, but he was dominant. the next week, new england's 3-4 put all kinds of pressure and threw all kinds of blitzes at him and he was a disaster. the jaguars do this to him all the time, and those are rarely big games.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #12
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't think of too many teams that wouldn't like a QB like Peyton.

If his team has failed it's not solely on his shoulders.

Football is after all a team game. He can't play defense, he can't kick or miss field goals.

I've watched Peyton plenty on NFL Network and the various other football related shows. He's always come across to me as a nice guy with a good head on his shoulders. Same for Carr. He's a really nice, personable guy.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #13
GoPats
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 GoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballotGoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna
manning doesn't choke in the big games. he chokes when the defense is in his face, big games or preseason games. if he was in a big playoff game and he didn't get any pressure on him from the defense, he'd be lights-out. like against kansas city 3 years ago. a week after his first playoff win and he was on the road in a TOUGH environment? TONS of pressure there, but he was dominant. the next week, new england's 3-4 put all kinds of pressure and threw all kinds of blitzes at him and he was a disaster. the jaguars do this to him all the time, and those are rarely big games.
I think you're confusing years. In the '03 game (when Law had 3 INTs), the Patriots beat up the Colts' WRs but didn't blitz Manning a lot. They mostly ran only three or four-man rushes. It was in '04 that they blitzed the heck out of him.
Old 05-13-2006   #14
Waltman
Rookie

I don't think Ward is the type of person that will blindly insult someone just because. I think there's more to the story.
Waltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #15
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPats
I think you're confusing years. In the '03 game (when Law had 3 INTs), the Patriots beat up the Colts' WRs but didn't blitz Manning a lot. They mostly ran only three or four-man rushes. It was in '04 that they blitzed the heck out of him.
the patriots have always blitzed manning (and everyone for that matter). all of his mistakes have come from the blitz. he did well in that game otherwise. obviously when ty law was RAPING the receivers, it didn't help.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read