Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-11-2006   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default IF our season goes well, Kubiak will be HC & GM all in one

That's how I see it playing out.

He not only learned Shanahan's on-field style and philospohy...I think he's bringing to our team the capability of being HC and GM all rolled into one.

As a former Houston Oilers fan, I always despised Bill Cowher. I just couldn't stand him. Now that I look back at it, and now that I see how successful he has been and how the ownership stuck with him for so long, I can see the Texans being in the same mood: I can see Kubiak staying here for a long, long time if things play out the way I think they will.

I really think that Kubiak is going to be the next big thing. And it's only a matter of time before NFL analysts, and major media outlets, see the same thing and we'll see a slew of Kubiak articles and stories that project him as the next big thing in the NFL.

Granted, he's as capable of failing as any other...but with what you've seen in the offeseason, the draft, and now with our GM sent packing......how can you not honestly say that something special is in the making?
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he'll be the GM and HC. What would you tell the guy that was hired to be the GM? "Oh sorry, Kubiak is good enough to replace you after one year. Here's your pink slip."
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #3
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
That's how I see it playing out.

He not only learned Shanahan's on-field style and philospohy...I think he's bringing to our team the capability of being HC and GM all rolled into one.

As a former Houston Oilers fan, I always despised Bill Cowher. I just couldn't stand him. Now that I look back at it, and now that I see how successful he has been and how the ownership stuck with him for so long, I can see the Texans being in the same mood: I can see Kubiak staying here for a long, long time if things play out the way I think they will.

I really think that Kubiak is going to be the next big thing. And it's only a matter of time before NFL analysts, and major media outlets, see the same thing and we'll see a slew of Kubiak articles and stories that project him as the next big thing in the NFL.

Granted, he's as capable of failing as any other...but with what you've seen in the offeseason, the draft, and now with our GM sent packing......how can you not honestly say that something special is in the making?
If Cowher was the coach of the Texans and went from 13-3 to 6-10 in two years like he did with the Steelers, he would have long since been fired. And I don't understand how you can say Kubiak is going to be "the next big thing" when he has never been a head coach on ANY major level. Heck, I don't even know if he was a head coach for high school -- or even Pop Warner. And you really think this guy is going to be "the next big thing" even before he is the HC for even one NFL game? I think you are deluding yourself.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I have never been a fan of that much power being yielded to one person. No matter how good Kubiak becomes he should maintain as either Coach or Front Office. No half stepping.
Old 05-12-2006   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
I can see Kubiak staying here for a long, long time
Not really disagreeing with you, but I've heard that several times lately by different posters and I just keeping thinking how we all used to say that about Capers.

I think we were wrong.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #6
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

A little research here. Who's that guy that's the the HC of the Seahawks again . . I forget.

Once upon a time, after he led the Packers to winning a Super Bowl, Paul Allen hired him to be both HC and GM.

Anyone care to guess what his W-L record was during that time period before Allen gave the GM position to someone else?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #7
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

If we're all-in on the Denver model, there's no reason to look any further than that.

Shanahan is the Executive Vice President of Football Operations and Head Coach. Sundquist and Smith have GM and Asst GM titles by name but they are only Player Personnel guys like Charlie was. That's what I always call weak GM.

I've been talking about the three headed monster approach here for months (Head Coach, VP of Player Personnel, VP of Negotiations and Admin,) and the VP of PP may or may not carry a GM title like Sundquist. That or a close variation of that is what I expect here.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-12-2006   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

McNair could just hire the Governor of Texas and have someone experience at that kind of job.

Old 05-12-2006   #9
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
If Cowher was the coach of the Texans and went from 13-3 to 6-10 in two years like he did with the Steelers, he would have long since been fired. And I don't understand how you can say Kubiak is going to be "the next big thing" when he has never been a head coach on ANY major level. Heck, I don't even know if he was a head coach for high school -- or even Pop Warner. And you really think this guy is going to be "the next big thing" even before he is the HC for even one NFL game? I think you are deluding yourself.
I know you thought keeping Capers was fine but he had lost the players and there never was a 13-3 season. So you are dead wrong IMHO. If a coach can show that he can take his team to 13-3 and the playoffs and then they have a 6-10 year you can always chalk it up to injuries, bad breaks, etc. Cowher has a track record with talent and teams. We were 2-14 and in 4 years had one of the worst expansion records in NFL history. Not only that but Capers was sticking with an O coordinator who was getting us nothing and D coordinator who ran the 3-Sieve defense. Please be realistic.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 05-12-2006 at 08:36 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
Not only that but Capers was sticking with an O coordinator who was getting us nothing and D coordinator who ran the 3-Sieve defense.
Bingo. Capers doesn't know when to let his coordinators do their job or when to stop them from screwing it up. He let Fangio have free reign because he just seems to think that all DCs are completely in control and competent. He distrusted and held back Palmer because he just doen't trust offensive minded coaches. So, he replaced him with Pendry. Pendry is either an idiot or a DC coaching the wrong side of the ball. I'm not sure which--PROBABLY BOTH.

Old 05-12-2006   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
I have never been a fan of that much power being yielded to one person. No matter how good Kubiak becomes he should maintain as either Coach or Front Office. No half stepping.
I've never been a fan of the GM/Head coach thing either....... who is doing it, and doing it well??

Holmgren/Seattle?? How long did it take him to get that team turned around?? 6+years??

Shanahan/Denver?? they still have problems filling some key roles....... WR(I love Rod Smith, but that was luck.... I'd like to see them do that again) & CB(took them a while to get one, and they had to give up the only running back they thought highly of enough to draft in the second round) QB....... I'm a Jake Plummer fan........ but that's the best they could do??

who else is doing it??
Old 05-12-2006   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
If we're all-in on the Denver model, there's no reason to look any further than that.

Shanahan is the Executive Vice President of Football Operations and Head Coach. Sundquist and Smith have GM and Asst GM titles by name but they are only Player Personnel guys like Charlie was. That's what I always call weak GM.

I've been talking about the three headed monster approach here for months (Head Coach, VP of Player Personnel, VP of Negotiations and Admin,) and the VP of PP may or may not carry a GM title like Sundquist. That or a close variation of that is what I expect here.
another great post AJ & one I fully agree with

McNair is big on checks and balances

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #13
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss

who else is doing it??
Let me preface this by saying you need a personnel guy whether you call him a GM or VP of Player Personnel.

There's a lot of variations to how teams do it.

Shanahan is Executive VP of Football Operations and Head Coach. They have a weak GM (Sundquist) and an assistant (Smith) who run player personnel. I'm pretty sure Sundquist reports to Shanahan.

Miami has a similar arrangement with Nick Saban and Randy Mueller (player personnel guy with a GM title). Mueller reports to Saban.

New England has Scott Pioli as VP of Player Personnel (he reports to Kraft) but no GM by title. They have other VPs to handle contracts and such. I'm pretty sure Belichick reports straight into Kraft but he doesn't carry a VP or executive title.

In Seattle, Holmgren gave up GM duties a few years ago, although he remains a Executive VP of Football Operations in addition to being Head Coach. Based on title alone Tim Ruskell, as President of Football Ops may have veto power on Holmgren but I'm not sure. Ruskell oversees player personnel and reports directly to the President and CEO Jody Patten, as does Holmgren. Former Oiler Mike Reinfeldt, who works under Ruskell, is VP of Football Admin who oversees player negotiations and the cap stuff, just like Ferens does here.

Cowher has a ton of power in Pittsburgh. They don't have a GM by title, only a Director of Football Operations (Kevin Colbert), and a Pro Personnel Coordinator (Doug Whaley), who probably work for Cowher.

In Tennessee, Fisher and Reese are both Executive VPs reporting to Bud. Reese, by virtue of their org chart and his charter is what I call a strong GM (can and does overrule the Head Coach). He is also Director of Football Ops

Those are just a few examples. Everyone does it differently. If there's anything Bob McNair learned over the last four years, it's how to organize his front office so that a) it's functional, and b) he's comfortable with the distribution of power. I don't think we will see the exact Denver model here but some division of power among Kubiak, Ferens, and the new VP of Player Personnel or [weak] GM, whatever they end up calling him. What I've been saying for a long time is most similar to the New England model.

Part of it depends how much McNair wants to be involved and whether he wants one direct report from Football Operations or two or three. If he only wants one direct report, then the hire will be an Executive VP or someone else will get promoted in the process.

Last edited by aj.; 05-12-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-12-2006   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think our head coach has enough on his hands without the added burden of GM duties. Let him take care of football, and the organization can figure out the power structure from there. Not a big fan of one man having all the power, because it is doomed to failure by spreading someone too thin.
Old 05-12-2006   #15
aj.
Hall of Fame

One of the points I was trying to make above is that most, if not all teams have someone responsible for player personnel. Head coaches can't do it all. It's just the reporting structure that varies. Gary needs help and will get help in that area.
Old 05-12-2006   #16
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Bingo. Capers doesn't know when to let his coordinators do their job or when to stop them from screwing it up. He let Fangio have free reign because he just seems to think that all DCs are completely in control and competent. He distrusted and held back Palmer because he just doen't trust offensive minded coaches. So, he replaced him with Pendry. Pendry is either an idiot or a DC coaching the wrong side of the ball. I'm not sure which--PROBABLY BOTH.
I don't know where you get the idea that firing a defensive coordinator at mid-season or getting rid of coaches period for that matter improves anything. The Texans got rid of Palmer early in the year and everybody on this board was happy about it. But the replacement for Palmer didn't do all that well either. I am just amazed how quick Texans fans pull the trigger when something doesn't go quite as well as planned. Well, if you continue to pull up the sod and replace it before it takes root, you'll never win Yard of the Month -- and you won't even get the $25 third place prize, either.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #17
HJam72
Hall of Fame

I don't think I would've wanted him to fire Fangio in mid-season, but something needed to be done. Fangio's D was too complicated. He held Palmer back and then replaced him (an average OC) with someone completely incompetent for the job. Replacing him with someone else might've been much more acceptable, but what would've been much easier would have been just letting Palmer do his job in the first place.

Pendry didn't even have enough sense to keep letting Carr call his own audibles/plays after he saw that it was working much better that way and Capers didn't stop Pendry from stopping Carr.

Old 05-12-2006   #18
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
I don't think I would've wanted him to fire Fangio in mid-season, but something needed to be done. Fangio's D was too complicated. He held Palmer back and then replaced him (an average OC) with someone completely incompetent for the job. Replacing him with someone else might've been much more acceptable, but what would've been much easier would have been just letting Palmer do his job in the first place.

Pendry didn't even have enough sense to keep letting Carr call his own audibles/plays after he saw that it was working much better that way and Capers didn't stop Pendry from stopping Carr.
They let that happen, because they said they couldn't handle it from the sidelines for that particular team. When it was successful they were embarrased and pulled the plug. It truely was an amazing display of arrogance.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #19
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 71945 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know where you get the idea that firing a defensive coordinator at mid-season or getting rid of coaches period for that matter improves anything. The Texans got rid of Palmer early in the year and everybody on this board was happy about it. But the replacement for Palmer didn't do all that well either. I am just amazed how quick Texans fans pull the trigger when something doesn't go quite as well as planned. Well, if you continue to pull up the sod and replace it before it takes root, you'll never win Yard of the Month -- and you won't even get the $25 third place prize, either.
If your sod hasn't taken root in four years I think you can declare it dead and replant. JMHO though.
John 13:34-35 ďA new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you are also to love one another.
cuppacoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The level of your hatred for Kubiak is just appalling. You seriously have a big problem with the guy, and it stems from your man crush on Capers. So what you say (if anybody is even reading yours at all, since you're ignored by 95% of the board) really doesn't count for much. You oppose everything anybody says because you're the type of person that thinks nobody is as smart as you are. And you make it your mission to rag on anyone in your path.

Thus, I really don't have anything to respond to your post because your post is not rooted in anything other than your motivation to flame people. For me to even dignify your post with THIS response was hard to do.

You would love it if Kubiak fails. There's a team in Florida where your daddy Capers now works. Maybe they have a message board for you to hang out at.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read