Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-11-2006   #1
texanfan2100
Veteran

Default Interesting Moulds Observation

From Andrew Perloff of cnnsi.com:

Eric Moulds, Texans: Is anyone paying attention in Houston? Either the offensive line can't block or quarterback David Carr stinks. Either way, the Texans didn't fix the problem and adding a receiver won't help. Predicted Production: 55 catches, 800 yards.

I wish writers would do their homework once in a while instead of harping on the same things since year one. And, the last time I checked, adding Moulds just might help David Carr. So I guess adding a receiver might help after all. Wow, it seems this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
texanfan2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2100
From Andrew Perloff of cnnsi.com:

Eric Moulds, Texans: Is anyone paying attention in Houston? Either the offensive line can't block or quarterback David Carr stinks. Either way, the Texans didn't fix the problem and adding a receiver won't help. Predicted Production: 55 catches, 800 yards.

I wish writers would do their homework once in a while instead of harping on the same things since year one. And, the last time I checked, adding Moulds just might help David Carr. So I guess adding a receiver might help after all. Wow, it seems this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
Yeah, adding an All Pro WR as your #2 never helps against defenses.
Old 05-11-2006   #3
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's my reaction to Andrew Perloff.
_| ̄|○ ε=_| ̄|○ _| ̄|・;∵..-=≡○    
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, everyone knows Andrew Perloff is.....is....ummmm...who the eff is Andrew Perloff again?

As much as I try to care what this nobody thinks of our team....I....just...can't...seem...to...give....a. ..hoot.
Old 05-11-2006   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

So, resigning McKinney, signing Flanigan, and drafting Winston, and Spencer is the Texans NOT trying to fix the problem?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #6
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

We drafted 2 O-lineman in the third round and got mike flanagan along with Mike Sherman and our passing oline is still going to be horrible? Writers need to do some research before they start predicting things.
Old 05-11-2006   #7
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 428 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Yeah, adding an All Pro WR as your #2 never helps against defenses.
Yea no kidding.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2006   #8
whiskeyrbl

They're all just crying because our FO made them look stupid when we didn't draft their "No way they don't draft" Bush. It's just another angle to rip our team. I just hope it is our team that rips through the NFL to a respectful record and shuts up all these know it alls.
Old 05-11-2006   #9
ComstockLode
Veteran

I am going to take the other side of this. It doesnt mean I believe it, I am just going to explain why someone may think our offense will be bad again.

If David Carr isnt a good QB, we should find out this year. I am personally 50-50 on if he will have a good season this year.

And yes adding two 3rd round offensive linemen is trying to upgrade. Something that should have been done 3 years ago. Generally speaking, 3rd round offensive linemen dont come in as starters and become good offensive linemen their first year. Hell, generally first rounders dont even do that. Generally there is a learning curve, and the hardest thing to adjust to is the speed of the pass rushers. It is unfair to expect much the first year out of 3rd rounders to begin with.

Last edited by ComstockLode; 05-11-2006 at 02:34 PM.
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #10
whiskeyrbl

But if you remember none of the experts had Winston as a third rounder he was "projected" mid to late first round or early second.So I think it is possible he steps right in.
Old 05-11-2006   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComstockLode
Generally speaking, 3rd round offensive linemen dont just in as starters and become good offensive linemen their first year. Generally there is a learning curve, and the hardest thing to adjust to is the speed of the pass rushers. It is unfair to expect much the first year out of 3rd rounders to begin with.
Good point.

This is a point I tried to make pre-draft a couple of times - draft euphoria can make fans think the picks are better players than they are. This is exacerbated by the fact that many pay more attention to the strengths part of a scouting report than to the weaknesses section.

A good example of this is projecting Spencer as a first year starter at LT as I've seen on other threads. I think that is highly unlikely, because his scouting report actually uses the word raw in its description. He is hardly NFL ready, no matter what his upside is.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...esspencer.html
Old 05-11-2006   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl
But if you remember none of the experts had Winston as a third rounder he was "projected" mid to late first round or early second.So I think it is possible he steps right in.
Unless the "experts" were wrong. Every team in the league passed on him in the first two rounds. Is that all about his knee, or did the experts have him rated too high?

He will be one of the players that will be interesting to watch during camp. Maybe we did get a steal.

As an aside, kudos to the draft team. A lot of people thought we should have taken him in the second round as you stated; the front office knew their stuff on that pick. It's almost like the fans got two first picks in the second round, if you know what I mean.
Old 05-11-2006   #13
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Good point.

This is a point I tried to make pre-draft a couple of times - draft euphoria can make fans think the picks are better players than they are. This is exacerbated by the fact that many pay more attention to the strengths part of a scouting report than to the weaknesses section.

A good example of this is projecting Spencer as a first year starter at LT as I've seen on other threads. I think that is highly unlikely, because his scouting report actually uses the word raw in its description. He is hardly NFL ready, no matter what his upside is.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...esspencer.html
Exactly. It would not be very bright to start Spencer at LT considering he has only two years off and on at that position in his career. And his senior season wasnt all that great from what I understand. He was drafted based on his raw potential, and those type guys generally dont step in and start at the hardest offensive line position in the NFL.

Heck, one of his weaknesses is handling speed rushers. Could you imagine him matching up against dwight freeney?
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComstockLode
Exactly. It would not be very bright to start Spencer at LT considering he has only two years off and on at that position in his career. And his senior season wasnt all that great from what I understand. He was drafted based on his raw potential, and those type guys generally dont step in and start at the hardest offensive line position in the NFL.

Heck, one of his weaknesses is handling speed rushers. Could you imagine him matching up against dwight freeney?
Signing Flanagan was the key for the outside rush to get handled better.

IMO, the surge up the middle by defenders caused our whole line to suck in and help contain against David getting harassed from the middle...which then caused the outside edges to get tighter and thus make it easier for a defensive end to cut the corner faster to get to David.

Thus, we sign a tough-as-nails center who has been a rock for Favre...and I think things will become much simpler for our whole offensive line. Those guys were out of place under Capers, and now we're going to see a better line.

Flanagan was, IMO, the BEST offseason acquisition we've had...other than Kubiak himself.

I haven't been this jazzed about Texans football since the team took the field for the first time. We're going to round the corner, fellas.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #15
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Unless the "experts" were wrong. Every team in the league passed on him in the first two rounds. Is that all about his knee, or did the experts have him rated too high?

He will be one of the players that will be interesting to watch during camp. Maybe we did get a steal.

As an aside, kudos to the draft team. A lot of people thought we should have taken him in the second round as you stated; the front office knew their stuff on that pick. It's almost like the fans got two first picks in the second round, if you know what I mean.
I would be embarassed to say how far I flung the draft paperwork I had on my lap when Winston was available @ 2nd pick & we selected a linebacker. I yelled, " What about the left tackle every one has been crying about for 3 years?" Demeco is a great pick, I just thought OT should have been addressed. I was bowing to the "draft team" a few minutes into the 3rd round. Proof positive that I should not give up my day job...
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Signing Flanagan was the key for the outside rush to get handled better.

IMO, the surge up the middle by defenders caused our whole line to suck in and help contain against David getting harassed from the middle...which then caused the outside edges to get tighter and thus make it easier for a defensive end to cut the corner faster to get to David.
I re-read some of this and I need to clarify something - I was agreeing with the point that counting on rookie 3rd round lineman to be effective starters is a reach.

However, I too believe that we have turned a corner and will be very much improved across the roster, including the o-line. Flanagan at center with decent guards next to him certainly helps the tackles.

I also believe that Wand is our starting LT from here on out, and that he will be a good one. I may have mentioned this on the board somewhere before.
Old 05-11-2006   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy
I would be embarassed to say how far I flung the draft paperwork I had on my lap when Winston was available @ 2nd pick & we selected a linebacker. I yelled, " What about the left tackle every one has been crying about for 3 years?" Demeco is a great pick, I just thought OT should have been addressed. I was bowing to the "draft team" a few minutes into the 3rd round. Proof positive that I should not give up my day job...
Don't be so hard on yourself.

I got to admit that it took a good set of stones for our draft team to gamble that Winston and/or Spencer would still be there after we picked Demeco.

That was big time game. BIG TIME. That's the kind of stuff that Casserly wouldn't do, he'd have pulled the trigger on Winston...and then we'd have reached for a LB that was nowhere near the talent level of a Demeco.
Old 05-11-2006   #18
BattleRedGuy
Rookie

Maybe it's just me, but I would be happy with 55 for 800 from Moulds this season.
BattleRedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedGuy
Maybe it's just me, but I would be happy with 55 for 800 from Moulds this season.
EXACTLY!

here's a link to a former Texans WR's stats http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/306271

He gained an average of about 450-500 yds. per season with us, over a four-year span, and never had more than 50-something catches in a season.

So, yeah....I'll take 55 and 800. That's 300 more yards than you-know-who...a guy that was supposed to be the No. 2 WR for us, and we know what happened with that. What can Moulds do with an extra 300 yards a season? Prolly score an extra TD or two, eh?

It's open season for the media on the Texans already.
Old 05-11-2006   #20
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
EXACTLY!

here's a link to a former Texans WR's stats http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/306271

He gained an average of about 450-500 yds. per season with us, over a four-year span, and never had more than 50-something catches in a season.

So, yeah....I'll take 55 and 800. That's 300 more yards than you-know-who...a guy that was supposed to be the No. 2 WR for us, and we know what happened with that. What can Moulds do with an extra 300 yards a season? Prolly score an extra TD or two, eh?

It's open season for the media on the Texans already.
Good point. I expect next year that we get 1200 yards out of AJ and imagine if Eric got 800. That's pretty good considering most teams don't have two recievers with over 1000 yards. I just can't wait to see AJ and Eric out on the field and how defenses react to there explosiveness.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read