Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-11-2006   #1
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro
Default jimmy smith retires

kffl reports that jimmy smith has surprisingly retired...all i can say is yeeeeesssss!!!! the jags just got a lot easier to beat
Old 05-11-2006   #2
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
kffl reports that jimmy smith has surprisingly retired...all i can say is yeeeeesssss!!!! the jags just got a lot easier to beat
Its on ESPN as well. Good riddance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2441034

I think Smith was one of the more underrated receivers of the past decade. Jacksonville just took a major hit IMO.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

At least they have a stud in Reggie Williams to step in...... oh wait, nevermind.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

That guy can/could play. Glad he is out of the way in the division. Wonder if JAX is peeved considering this announcement before the draft may have played into who they would pick...though they have tried to cover this in past drafts.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 05-11-2006 at 10:06 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #5
jagibelieve
Veteran

It's a sad day in Jagsonville. Jimmy will be missed. The one thing that I am glad about is he is leaving on his own terms and while he was still at the top of his game.

There have been hints all through the off season that he may retire. He even said that he wanted to do so after the playoff loss to New England. Even with that in mind, I just don't think that our front office would have drafted yet another WR this year.
jagibelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #6
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Smith broke his leg and missed most of his rookie season. In 1993, he needed an emergency appendectomy and suffered through infection and stomach problems. He missed the entire year. He didn't play in 1994, either, after getting cut by Dallas and Philadelphia.
Quote:
In 1995, he caught on with the expansion Jaguars after his mother sent coach Tom Coughlin a binder of press clippings to help him earn a tryout.

He made the most of his chance and set receiving records that could be hard to break.
There's no need to fear, Underdog was here!

I think he was blind in one eye too? Or something was wrong with his eyesight, meaning not normal or poor: reduced.
Old 05-11-2006   #7
Fldvldog
Veteran

Yes, it is a very sad day in Jacksonville. Jimmy Smith was the greatest reciever in our team's history, and he is a true class act. He will be missed.

As for the the person who said that the Jags will be easier to beat:

21-14

38-20

Be prepared for another sweep.
Fldvldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2006   #8
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagibelieve
It's a sad day in Jagsonville. Jimmy will be missed. The one thing that I am glad about is he is leaving on his own terms and while he was still at the top of his game.

There have been hints all through the off season that he may retire. He even said that he wanted to do so after the playoff loss to New England. Even with that in mind, I just don't think that our front office would have drafted yet another WR this year.
I feel sorry for you guys. I respected Jimmy Smith a lot and he was defainately underrated like Eddie Kennison is in Kansas City. That's the first thing I thought when I saw he was retiring, is that at least he left while he was on the top of his game (even though he probably had atleast another year left in him). I think Matt Jones along with Earnest Wilford will step up and be a big part of your passing game next year in replace of Jimmy Smith.
Old 05-11-2006   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fldvldog
Yes, it is a very sad day in Jacksonville. Jimmy Smith was the greatest reciever in our team's history, and he is a true class act. He will be missed.

21-14

38-20

Dream on kitty and remember those games for a long, long time. You won't be on the "happy" side of a Texans sweep again anytime soon.
Old 05-11-2006   #10
Fldvldog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Dream on kitty and remember those games for a long, long time. You won't be on the "happy" side of a Texans sweep again anytime soon.

Oh, I'm willing to bet my paycheck that we will be on the "happy" side of the sweep. And mark my words:

"THE JAGS WILL SWEEP THE TEXANS IN '06"

I'm ot trying to be arrogant, or start a riot here, but, I know it will happen.

On a side note, I'm very interested over the battle over the no.1 spot. Matt or Reggie? Hmmm.....
Old 05-11-2006   #11
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh, I'm willing to bet my paycheck that we will be on the "happy" side of the sweep. And mark my words:

"THE JAGS WILL SWEEP THE TEXANS IN '06"

I'm ot trying to be arrogant, or start a riot here, but, I know it will happen.

On a side note, I'm very interested over the battle over the no.1 spot. Matt or Reggie? Hmmm.....
#1 in name, not talent or ability, right?

I mean c'mon neither of those guys is a legit #1 WR in the NFL. Chad Johnson, AJ, Walker, Harrison, Holt, Ward, Moss etc. they are guys with the talent to be legit #1s; not Reggie or friggin Matt Jones.

Sheeeesh!
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #12
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

reggie couldn't fight for the #3 spot, how the hell will he do so for the #1? right now, jones is the clearcut #1, and i guess wilfork is #2. they drafted marcedes lewis for a reason.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #13
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey Jimbo, if you are coming out of retirement, the Texans are welcoming you with open arms....3rd option receiver is open!

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #14
Fldvldog
Veteran

First of all, why are you comparing Matt and Reggie to Marvin Harrison and crew? Thats straaange. Obviously they aren't that good, yet. ITs too early to tell.

Either way, though, we could have Richard Simmons at the no.1 spot, and still beat the texans
Old 05-11-2006   #15
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Jimmy Smith is a Hall of Fame WR, I feel for you guys to have to loose him..................But I will not feel bad come the first game.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #16
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Welcome back to the pack Jags.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #17
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

21-14

38-20

The Jaguars will be easier to beat. I'm not saying it'll happen, but it will be easier. Moonshine Matt won't replace Smith, they have different styles.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #18
Fldvldog
Veteran

We shall see...
Old 05-11-2006   #19
titan hater
Veteran

Quote:

They didnt last year either...They drafted a bad QB
Old 05-11-2006   #20
titan hater
Veteran

Quote:
We shall see...
Why are you trolling over here in God's country Fldvldog?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read