Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-10-2006   #1
Paragon Blue
Veteran

Default Morency

With the signing of Smith what happens to Morency? Does he even get a chance to compete for the backup spot or is he the odd man out?
Old 05-10-2006   #2
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

He will be 3rd
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
He will be 3rd
Actually, he could be cut or he could be the starter by September. We are under a different regime now, and apparently they see competition as a healthy thing. My guess is that Morency and Lundy will both make the team and I don't think Smith will. However, they'll all have the opportunity!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #4
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

There will be competition for spots.

DD is the starter. He has earned it and proven himself in my eyes.

Morency has starter potential more than anyone else on the roster, including even DD in terms of pure potential. He will stay and be the backup feature back for my money.

Smith I expect will be a short yardage/goal line type who may actually play more than Morency on a day to day basis.

Lundy and the other rookies will compete for a 4th roster spot with the best man getting to stay.

That is how I see it playing out.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #5
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Does anyone see us keeping two FBs on the roster along with 4 RBs? In Denver they used a lot of backs and I think Hill and Cook are both capable of making the team.
Old 05-11-2006   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I like DD, but I could see Morency earning this spot rather than getting it due to injury.
Old 05-11-2006   #7
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i think we'll keep 4 RB's and both the FB's...hill and cook are perfect for the system that kubiak is running as far as Fullbacks are considered...with DD's injury list a mile long we'll need as many runningbacks as possible...morency will make the team and is probably the primary back up to DD...smith is the short yardage back...and lundy and rhodes will compete for the 4th back slot...i know we drafted lundy but my money is on rhodes to win the roster spot
Old 05-11-2006   #8
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 15 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover

The Smiths will never be the same without Morency.
Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #9
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

Wow...Morency as a possible starter. I never thought of it. That will be interesting. Don't get me wrong...DD is solid, but the whole competition thing could bring about a bunch of suprises. I'd like to see where Kubiak is going to take this team. And just because I want to use this graphic...
Old 05-11-2006   #10
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Davis
Morency
Lundy
Smith

I think we keep 4 backs, and 1 FB. Cook.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #11
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected

When I looked at Lundy's prospect video it stuck out to me that on some plays he was really good at finding the whole. I think he could be a solid RB and I would be suprised if he gets beat out by Rhodes. Wali could have easily been selected higher and I know there was a link to a thread that a lot of people said that Lundy was one of the biggest steals on the second day. I look for Davis, Morency, Smith, and Lundy along with Hill and Cook on our opening day roster.
Old 05-11-2006   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

all those mentioned give validation to Garys thought process in passing on Bush in favor or Mario Williams

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #13
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, I see his style and burst fitting the zone blocking scheme better than even DD. That is just my opinion though. He will have to show it.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #14
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm thinking Smith will get cut and it will be:

DD/Morency/Rhodes/Lundy with 2 fullbacks Cook/Hill

Now thats a good young backfield. If Smith does make the team then I think either Rhodes or Lundy will be on the practice squad because why cut one of them when Smith will most likely only be around for 1 year.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #15
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
I'm thinking Smith will get cut and it will be:

DD/Morency/Rhodes/Lundy with 2 fullbacks Cook/Hill

Now thats a good young backfield. If Smith does make the team then I think either Rhodes or Lundy will be on the practice squad because why cut one of them when Smith will most likely only be around for 1 year.
That's a good point considering Antowain is getting old (he's 34 years old) and he doesn't have much left in the tank and has already reached his potential which our other rookies haven't gotten a chance to do.
Old 05-11-2006   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
I like DD, but I could see Morency earning this spot rather than getting it due to injury.
I was actually wondering about that same thing. I like Morency, and wouldn't be surprised if he proves himself to be a starter at the end of the day. I like DD, too, but hey, nothing is going to be handed to anyone now. I'm glad our new staff believes in proving your worth and earning your spot. Competition can breed excellence.
Old 05-11-2006   #17
Texans86
All Pro

Lesser known fact: Morency is slightly older than D.Davis. About eight months. Morency played baseball for a couple years then went back to college.
Old 05-11-2006   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86
Lesser known fact: Morency is slightly older than D.Davis. About eight months. Morency played baseball for a couple years then went back to college.
Older in people years, younger in football years - less wear and tear.
Old 05-11-2006   #19
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Older in people years, younger in football years - less wear and tear.
An important point. RB's don't last forever. Average life expectancy is about 4 years if memory serves.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #20
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

lets say we pull the Bennett deal, who is the odd man out or do we carry 4 backs?
Domanick
Smith
Vernond
Bennett
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read